My personal 'rule of thumb' tier list

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
I am learning the ways of the Inkbrush. When I first used this weapon, I was stuck in C+. Now that I've figured out some new techs, my rank is shooting up at rapid pace. Once I reach the A ranks I'll tell you what got me there. But I think at the very least, I can say right now that this indicates a helluva learning curve.

I think it will improve a ton in August as it seems to be very momentum-based, so if your team is not working together, you may fall fast. Right now my argument is that it is a weapon that can kill, and part of the reason it's built to spread ink so fast, sub/special and all, is that wide puddles of ink facilitate its kill potential. It focuses on element of surprise. Get an opponent from the side and they are dead before they can process the need to run or defend. You need enough turf of your own to fight in this way. So, in ranked, an Inkbrush is ideal for quickly obtaining control and maintaining it once you have it. Important for avoiding the penalty timer. Sprinklers also double as convenient decoys. It forces the enemy team to focus on destroying it, dropping their guard to do so.

I know this is coming from a B rank, but this strategy has pulled me up very far in a short amount of time and if it changes again by the time I get farther, I'll tell y'all what I did differently. I'd say there's value in looking into this further.
I think people aren't necessarily saying that the ink brush is bad, just that there are better options available.

But I've only used the inkbrush twice, so I can't really comment on it's usefulness :P

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
I think people aren't necessarily saying that the ink brush is bad, just that there are better options available.

But I've only used the inkbrush twice, so I can't really comment on it's usefulness :p
But they are. That's my entire issue. There's a difference between Low Tier and Just Don't Tier

Hari-Kuyo

Inkling

But I've only used the inkbrush twice, so I can't really comment on it's usefulness :p
For the things it's good at, I wouldn't say there are better things. Can the Carbon Roller play stealth and control turf like it? Yeah. Could a shooter type weapon throw sprinklers around, infiltrate the enemy base, flank? Yeah. But I'd say that's where the speed of the Inkbrush comes in: it provides you a means of escape. And if you're going to go deep with a weapon, potentially ending up alone, you're going to want to be able to retreat if you find too many problems. Say you're in the middle of the Splat Zone trying to keep control, but the enemy takes it from you anyway. You are now surrounded with enemy ink and fire. If you're a Carbon Roller, you're probably dead at this point. Even with a shooter, a charger or other shooter could likely get to you faster than you can run. The Inkbrush is the best weapon for escaping dire situations, able to outrun snipers IN KID FORM and weave around its own path to safety. It has options if plan A fails.

It's still niche and probably not top tier, but I believe it has value for use in a ranked battle. Carbon Roller is more of a versatility thing, I think. It can do Inkbrush and regular Roller jobs, but not as efficiently as something more specialized.

As for the whole rank thing: People with higher rank really do often have valuable opinions. Rank is a general indicator of how well one understands the current meta. Not to say that lower rank opinions are useless, but they tend to be more indicative of the mid or low tier meta.

Tl;dr Gotta go fast

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
For the things it's good at, I wouldn't say there are better things. Can the Carbon Roller play stealth and control turf like it? Yeah. Could a shooter type weapon throw sprinklers around, infiltrate the enemy base, flank? Yeah. But I'd say that's where the speed of the Inkbrush comes in: it provides you a means of escape. And if you're going to go deep with a weapon, potentially ending up alone, you're going to want to be able to retreat if you find too many problems. Say you're in the middle of the Splat Zone trying to keep control, but the enemy takes it from you anyway. You are now surrounded with enemy ink and fire. If you're a Carbon Roller, you're probably dead at this point. Even with a shooter, a charger or other shooter could likely get to you faster than you can run. The Inkbrush is the best weapon for escaping dire situations, able to outrun snipers IN KID FORM and weave around its own path to safety. It has options if plan A fails.
Wow, you make me want to try it out again!
What gear do you run? I'm guessing ninjasquid is a must have..

Hari-Kuyo

Inkling
Wow, you make me want to try it out again!
What gear do you run? I'm guessing ninjasquid is a must have..
I have a Tenacity/Ninja Squid/Ink Resistance Up set right now. Ink Resistance Up could be swapped for Stealth Jump and Tenacity could be swapped for something like Ink Saver Sub or Ink Recovery Up, but yeah, Ninja Squid definitely required. Cold Blooded would be useful if you could run them both at once, but since that's impossible, Ninja Squid wins out as you'll be making use of it practically every moment of every match.

Momentum, practice, and teamwork are your best friends. Give yourself some time with it and make good use of the sprinklers and who knows, you might even end up with a new favorite weapon. Good luck to you!

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
The effort/skill required:how much you get done ratio for the weapons in 'Just don't' are what put them there.
That definitely should have been the thing you led with in the first post. Would have saved you a lot of headache in debating since "good" is relative/subjective term and the explanation of "effort/skill vs. payoff" defines "good" and puts the conversation in more concrete and definable terms.

Your game may be A+99 but your conversation skills look to be more of a C. *queue Kermit but that's not my business meme* Now where's my tea... :p

Robotoboy20

Squid Scout
NNID
robotoboy30
Hi I'm Ultimatum and I'm A+ 99 and I thought I'd put together a tier list for a 'rule of thumb' list of weapons for their general usefulness in ranked. Some maps may demand other weapons but if you had to pick a weapon without looking at the stages, I believe this would be a good list to think on.

Tell me what you think!

Vectors from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/doaufjg7ulr1pop/AADAPvv7bDEZIR7DOoB6xmNJa?dl=0

EDIT: For clarification, this is Splat Zones only.

A lot of people don't utilized Disruptors well... Nozzlenose is amazing because of those.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
The opinions of C rank players, hold zero weight, in a competitive discussion.

Kaliafornia

NNID
Kaliafornia
Why don't you guys start your own Splatoon forum with only A+ players then? These forums are open to everyone to post in. Even a C- player who is the bottom of ALL their matches has just as much importance.

I think its hilarious that you all feel so entitled to your own conversation yet cannot clearly articulate your points and have to result to "Well I'm right because I'm an A+ who doesn't use that weapon."

In all honesty I do agree with the OP in his analysis. Particularly now that 4 pages later, he has finally defined his terms of what constitutes "good" being effort vs. payoff. But that still doesn't give anyone here the right to dictate whose opinions are important and whose aren't. You all can't even hold a civilized articulate discussion but want to moderate who can post? OK.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Gonna have to agree with Hari Judari...I believe everyone deserves a voice and no one should be excluded, no matter their rank. You can't expect to make a tier list without someone chiming in to disagree. Even if I don't fully agree with it. Having said that, even if we were to place the Inkbrush on a higher tier, there's no way it's any better than mediocre/pretty bad. Other weapons clearly outclass it.

Hinichii.ez.™

Why don't you guys start your own Splatoon forum with only A+ players then? These forums are open to everyone to post in. Even a C- player who is the bottom of ALL their matches has just as much importance.

I think its hilarious that you all feel so entitled to your own conversation yet cannot clearly articulate your points and have to result to "Well I'm right because I'm an A+ who doesn't use that weapon."

In all honesty I do agree with the OP in his analysis. Particularly now that 4 pages later, he has finally defined his terms of what constitutes "good" being effort vs. payoff. But that still doesn't give anyone here the right to dictate whose opinions are important and whose aren't. You all can't even hold a civilized articulate discussion but want to moderate who can post? OK.
Players who are stuck on the lowest level of the game, are there for a reason. I should have said stuck, instead of are. But those players, who are stuck in that place, can't blame the system. This is because they lack skill and game knowledge. Both of these are needed to hold a meaningful discussion, for competitive play. If you lack both of these traits, the topic at hand, has no place for you.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
Players who are stuck on the lowest level of the game, are there for a reason. I should have said stuck, instead of are. But those players, who are stuck in that place, can't blame the system. This is because they lack skill and game knowledge. Both of these are needed to hold a meaningful discussion, for competitive play. If you lack both of these traits, the topic at hand, has no place for you.
Just because you are captain of a squad doesn't mean you should be able to judge how much a person can judge a certain weapon in game. What do you know about their Splatoon backstory? How do you know they don't just play turf war all day? Not everbody will play ranked just for it being ranked. And they can glean just as much weapon insight from it, too. Honestly, you try and act like your opinion is so important, but the only thing to show for it is your title. Stop acting like everyone should bow down to whatever you say and that your word is law, because it isn't.

Kaliafornia

NNID
Kaliafornia
I would agree that players who are too busy blaming other players for their losses and not climbing ranks does not make for good discussion for competitive play. But on that note neither does an A+ player who is too busy saying "git gud" rather than discussing tactics and trying to actually hold an articulate conversation.

Players who are stuck can still hold meaningful conversation if they are open to ideas and don't write off the fact that they need to change their play style and get more experience in order to succeed. Discussion isn't a circle jerk of like opinions.

But regardless this thread wasn't even based on players blaming other players. It basically started as players defending their weapon of choice as "good" because the OP failed to initially define the terms of discussion on what they considered "good" to be. I haven't seen any posters in this thread (elsewhere on the forum, yes, not here though) whine and moan about being stuck and blaming it on anyone because we are solely speaking on the utility of weapons here not their personal abilities.

Therefore none of those reasons you listed for why any C-A- players shouldn't post here in this thread have been applicable and this is why you guys are just coming off as elitist tools.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
yessir! yessssirrrrr!! yezziirrrryy!
On-topic? ok. I still think dynamo is underrated. If we are including tower control into this tier list now, I think that dynamo isnt as good. It isn't good if you are constantly attacking the tower, as you are easy pickings for any attentive hostiles.
My goodness. This thread...

I'm going to have to keep my eye on this one.

Umm... excuse me. Can you please stay on topic next time.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Obviously a lot of the opinions of players in C rank about the splat zone metagame will not be correct when compared to somebody in A rank. But that does not mean you shouldn't take them into consideration and give them a proper response. Instead of saying they are wrong because "lol you are C rank" actually explain in detail how they are misunderstanding the meta.

Also to C rank players, please refrain from listing "sprinkler can even kill" as a pro for inkbrush. Just. Don't. (although I have noticed that if you kill a dummy in the training area and place a sprinkler in it, it will die insanely fast once it respawns. So maybe placing one under someone super jumping can be a thing.)

Hinichii.ez.™

If you wish to quote my whole post, base your argument on the whole post. Not just the part, that you don't particularly like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom