• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

"My team is crap!"

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
I'm not sure what to take away from that. First off, what mode is this, turf? Your allies died more than you, yes, but you also contributed the least splats/assists across every match despite your multiple special uses. It gives me the impression that you weren't engaging the enemy.
Turf, and exactly, I were not engaging with them, especially with Aerospray MG.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
That could be part of your problem there. I did the same thing with the Aerospray for a good while and suffered for it. Your weapon still has a solid ttk, it's just best used for ambushes because of the accuracy. Unsolicited advice, everyone's favorite!

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Yeah i'm not seeing the hard-carries here either. Normally people who do that tend to have both a solid number of kills(we're talking about roughly 10 per match) and most inked turf, unless they were a charger/blaster or something.
If i could recommend something, ditch the Aero MG for the plain old Splattershot Jr. It's stronger allowing you to actually engage people, has a bit more range and a very useful special that helps your team push. The only tradeoff is having less inking power, but Aero MG has enough of that as is.

Poop

Inkling
I won't be an apologist for bad players

Yes, the majorly of people playing this game are not great. It's the nature of randomized teams and a fairly popular game.

I'll typically lose three matches and win three and then lose another three because of players not helping one another and just doing their own thing (turf war is painful sometimes) trying to avoid battle as much as possible.

Hell I was in a 20 game losing streak earlier this week due to underperforming players. When I say losing I MEAN losing, as in stomped in to the ground with no chance from the get go.

It was annoying, but you have to keep things in perspective.

Until better match making ever makes it in to this game, this is the game you're going to be playing.

Until (if ever) that happens enjoy the feeling when you finally get people that mesh together. It's a great feeling when you're coming off of an insane streak of badly played matches.

You can't really help people who can't help themselves, you can just try to make their games go a little better for them and give them all the assistance they need

/shrug

Last edited:

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
I wasn't trying to claim I was a god or something, but at least I did "My Job" which I set out to do (highest score so far is 1749 points with 6 kills 0 death).

e.g. I rush to the middle (usually the first) and activate Curling Bomb Special so my teammates could start to bunker down, then I push directly to bad guys' base to put pressure on them.

If I die, that's fine, it's part of the plan because my mid-game is when I need to ink all the missed areas of my base, then I put pressure on the middle by 1 minute mark.

Last 30 seconds is where I flank and ink all the way to bad guys' spawn.

Now, what I often finds is that:
1. No teammates were near me when I took middle.
2. Large missed areas of our base.
3. When I was flanking, they lost more than I could take back (and I ink a whole lot)...

So, ink and don't engage is basically all the tips and guides told me to do, and that's wrong?

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I wasn't trying to claim I was a god or something, but at least I did "My Job" which I set out to do.

e.g. I rush to the middle (usually the first) and activate Curling Bomb Special so my teammates could start to bunker down, then I push directly to bad guys' base to put pressure on them.

If I die, that's fine, it's part of the plan because my mid-game is when I need to ink all the missed areas of my base, then I put pressure on the middle by 1 minute mark.

3. When I was flanking, they lost more than I could take back (and I ink a whole lot)...

So, ink and don't engage is basically all the tips and guides told me to do, and that's wrong?
Kind of, yes. It sounds like your plan doesn't account for the actions of your teammates, and if they're getting splatted that much it means the enemy is successfully being aggressive. A high ink count doesn't mean much if you have to keep re-taking the same territory. The Aerospray's not a weapon to be gung-ho with in combat, but if you stay alert you can still get the drop on foes now and then. It's important for every weapon and team member to get splats to some degree.

SmokyWreck

A captain of the darkness.
Mmh.. Somethings i had noticed when people claim to have bad teams is that they didn't try either to take advantage of that.

I know i see myself as a bad player everytime my team lose. Sometime i think ''My team was terrible!,'' but it's always followed by ''I'm terrible.'' Another thing is that when my team win during a really bad rank match, it tend to be because one of my allies or myself took advantage of the opponent getting distracted by the constant rushing.

Terrible players exist, but they're just smol wanna be still learning! And when i see one of them get better during a match i'm against or in the same team, it's always a pleasant match regardless of the outcome. Also... Your team isn't crap if you just happen to not use the in-game communication to try and tell them where you need assistance or to let them know they did something nice that you encourage them to do again... Boyaah is a good way to keep the team less stressed and make people proud of action you just witnessed like winning a 2V1 by surviving. Booyahing a good shot from your sniper-- It seem small. But when i'd be this friendly, i noticed my team had a tendency to back me up more and assist me more and i found myself doing the same instinctively to players that would do that to me.

Positivity can make a huge difference in a game where a few can easily get ticked off by losing!

Anyway, that was my two-cent on people that say they had bad teams. Now imma go back to the corner.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
From my own perspective, @leowtyx, a big weakness I can guess in your gameplan, is that you're not working with your team.

It sounds like you're at least ignoring your teammates to outright playing 1v7. Yeah yeah, there's no silly voice chat to scream on and your randoms may sometimes have the competency of an AI octoling, but not coordinating with them can even sour your victories because you were too busy struggling to do your own thing.

Your job is to be a teammate. Your goal, in turf wars, is to ink the most turf--with your team. I speak that not just to you, but to anyone.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I wasn't trying to claim I was a god or something, but at least I did "My Job" which I set out to do (highest score so far is 1749 points with 6 kills 0 death).

Yeah, that sounds pretty wrong. You gotta do both, especially the latter if you're stuck with bad teams. The only problem is that the Aero MG isn't good at engaging others at all, which becomes a problem once your team can't kill anything and start getting steamrolled.

A high score in ink covered doesn't mean much- it means that you played tug war with the opposing side, repeatedly re-inking over eachother's territory. Remember that in Splatoon 1 Judd says that Turf War is all about taking turf and keeping it, and it's the latter part the Aero MG has a lot of problems with. If you push in deep with your team and keep that line you won't have to ink that much anymore.

1: Then why didn't you stick with them, rather than moving way up far without them? They'll go for the center eventually. This is something i tend to do regardless of how bad my team is. Two guns are better than one, even if you end up using your teammate as bait.
2: That's your job. Aero MG's absolute main focus is inking, not the job of the chargers or blasters on your team. Just take a chunk of turf as you move back to the center to charge your special.
3: It's probably better to have covered half of the map beforehand before you make that final push.

Dying is never fine. It's the worst thing that can happen during a game. Now your team has one less teammate to ink ground until you come back, and deal with being outnumbered 3 to 4. It's the first thing you gotta learn before you make it big in this game, avoid dying at all costs. This is also why kills can be so vital to winning games, as this means it's happening to your opposing team.

Torloth

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Torloth
The enlightening Strategies in this post.
With my on going quest to get better with A charger. I have noticed things that can help, especially in ranked.
Big issues I have seen
•trying to go it alone. Not waiting for your team 2v1 conflicts are always favorable if you can manage them.
•doing the same thing and getting splatted repeatedly...
• not tossing splatbombs at Splatzones or towers.

But I will freely admit I'm pretty mediocre but I try not to make Amateur mistakes. But I do... The curse of being a B- player ;p

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
Suppose I do expect too much for my team to hold their own in 3v4.

Dying is never fine. It's the worst thing that can happen during a game. Now your team has one less teammate to ink ground until you come back, and deal with being outnumbered 3 to 4. It's the first thing you gotta learn before you make it big in this game, avoid dying at all costs. This is also why kills can be so vital to winning games, as this means it's happening to your opposing team.
But isn't dying the fastest way to get back to base?

Your team isn't crap if you just happen to not use the in-game communication to try and tell them where you need assistance or to let them know they did something nice that you encourage them to do again...
I found "This Way" and "Booyah" much lackluster compare to voice chat, plus the d-pad on Joy-Con is very awkwardly spaced for me.

Suppose I do expect too much for my team to hold their own in 3v4.

But isn't dying the fastest way to get back to base?

I found "This Way" and "Booyah" much lackluster compare to voice chat, plus the d-pad on Joy-Con is very awkwardly spaced for me.
There should be far more pre-set lines that relate to map position or tactics. There's not really any excuse for not having more, especially for a primarily online game.

SmokyWreck

A captain of the darkness.
See, i think voicechat make people rely too much on informations instead of anticipating the worst. To me, the in-game commands are straightforward. ''This way'' mean to go toward that area, superjump to the person or assist that person. ''Booyah'' is a positive word that can be seen as a thank you, good job-- Something positive. ''Ouch..'' indicate an ennemy in the area, requiring extras precaution when approching said area. Of course, everyone has their opinion. If you prefer voicechat, go you-- But if you play with people that doesn't; there might be a lack of communication.

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
I think people put way too much emphasis on killing and not enough on keeping control of the stage. Find your win conditions in a match and push towards those, don't try to force "your" win condition and then blame your team for losing. I occasionally find myself blaming my team for things due to the lack of communication in splatoon, but I also look at how I got myself into the situation in the first place, then hopefully correct it so it doesn't happen again. Not everything that goes wrong in a match is your teams fault, sometimes it's just you. Sometimes it will be poor matchmaking that causes you to lose, but if you find yourself blaming your team every match... maybe consider who is on that team every single match.

Take this video for example:
When I was originally playing this match I thought I was doing really well, but when I went back and watched it there were a lot of things I was doing wrong. Some of it was because of my team and their lack of presence, and some of it was me overextending multiple times in the match trying to fix the situation. I could easily blame my team for this loss and not bother to watch it to see how I was playing personally, but you would be surprised how different things look when you are not in the moment. I often find myself saying "wow... why did I do that? That was really stupid" and then I'll make a note of it so I can work on that bad habit. There are a few of those moments in this match lol.

Keep in mind that your rank is just a letter and the game is filled with a lot of new players atm. Currently I am S in splatzones, A in Rainmaker, and B+ A- in Tower Control. This is mainly because I get to play splatzones the most due to my work schedule but it also shows that I need to work on how I approach Tower Control since it's my lowest rank atm.

Last edited:

YarnDrawcia

Full Squid
That's kind of a pattern I see with all cooperative multiplayer games. Get into a match, have it go horribly wrong, and then get so salty you can supply McDonald's with your salt for their French fries. It's understandable, you put forth that effort to only to lose, even if you tried to ink as much turf as possible and keep the ground you've gained.

The first conclusion some may draw in the heat of the moment is, of course, you put forth all that effort. You inked your share and splatted players what you would consider a good amount of times. If, in your eyes, played so well, then it must surely be the problem with the people you were matched up with, right? And hindsight may hit you upside the head with a frying pan with the fact you likely did something wrong too, but during that moment you probably didn't think so.

This shows up in other multiplayer games as well. You may hear someone raging over the mic likening their teammates' performance to fecal matter (thank goodness Splatoon doesn't have voice chat), and Medic mains in Team Fortress 2 are infamous for putting blame on their teammates (though not all of them do it in my experience and I don't do it myself).

Though feel free to take this post with a grain of salt, I'm not exactly a psychology major.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
People will learn the hard way if they die a lot in the game. I have done battles in Monster Hunter where you do vocalize by movement and staple commands. (This is kinda lateral to compare since it is a bit more verbose with form, but some people DO not use it.)

Today I was trying to train some freshies who I had no contact, just vocaling with my commands. I decided to play a game of 'spot' the enemy. I will go around the map, and if I see someone near the spawn point, I will go and command with 'this way' over and over till they learn what it means. I didn't care if I lose, I wanted to teach them how the game works. It did it. They actually began to listen, and followed in numbers when one player was trying to push the turf, and I will even hide behind a shield so they land safely. After that I award them with a booyah. Simple things like that make the game pretty awarding when you see newcomers reacting to different scenarios.

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
On second thought, my strategy would be quite ideal if my team wasn't crap tho...

Like I said, those 5 were extreme samples, I win more in general.

I wasn't trying to say every time I lose is because my team suck, but just pointing out (jokingly) that, sometimes when they suck, they suck hard.

No, you can just superjump back to your spawn point. Press X, Down on Joystick then A. Gets you back right away.
Thanks dude!

Last edited:

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
Just to illustrate my point (and my strategy works) that even with 1 D/C, I could win a turf war with just 1 decent teammate.

My K/D was 6/0, just to show that I could engage when I have to.

DF3bJX_UQAA3Ti1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom