• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

"My team is crap!"

Aeladya

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Aeladya
Switch Friend Code
SW-4028-2792-9217
Sorry for the clickbaity title. I couldn't think of any non-clickbaity one, unless I were to post an objectively wrong title.

When I meet a splatoon player that just started, a significant portion of the time the first words I hear from them are along the lines of "My team is crap!". This includes my younger brother, who literally just started playing splatoon that day. I was also like this when I first started playing splatoon.

This statement is said because of the following line of reason: My team is worse, because we lost (no problem so far). I am better than most people in this rank (This is questionable). Therefore, the reason I lost is because my teammates were sub-par (Sometimes a valid conclusion, i.e. a disconnect).

The "I am better than most people in this rank" is sometimes valid, especially if you win more often than not. However, if you're blaming bad matchmaking for your inability to rank up, you're missing a very critical point: the enemy team isn't always perfect either.

By the law of large numbers, it makes sense that if you are average, the teammates you get over your journey will be roughly average over several games, and the same goes for your enemy teams. If you're above average as you claim, then you should make, on average, your team better than the enemy's, and maintain a >50% win rate.

If your win rate is under 50% over a large game session, then it follows that you're below average--otherwise you would have a >50% win rate or break even. In other words, if you lose more than you win, you're the problem and not your teammates.

If your winrate is <50% yet you believe your teammates are at fault, you are likely being affected by the Dunning-Kruger effect. Especially if you just started playing, you need to accept that you're probably not going to be better than people who have been playing for several days, or even weeks. If you blame your teammates, you'll leave less of an incentive for yourself to improve, and stunt your growth as a splatoon player. Accept that you may be the problem, and you'll have an easier time learning how to outperform. Keep a cool head, undetstand that you can't win every game, and practice, practice, practice.

Right now I'm the problem in turf wars because I haven't accepted the fact that I'm awful at the charger and never will be proficient at it and that I should just give up now. I've lost 10 turf wars in a row because I cannot hit anything with this weapon.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Right now I'm the problem in turf wars because I haven't accepted the fact that I'm awful at the charger and never will be proficient at it and that I should just give up now. I've lost 10 turf wars in a row because I cannot hit anything with this weapon.
To the new and improved firing range with you! You can do it!

Aeladya

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Aeladya
Switch Friend Code
SW-4028-2792-9217
To the new and improved firing range with you! You can do it!
Funny thing is, I can hit the targets in the test, when it comes to the real thing I'm awful. Which is funny, I'm good at sniping in other games, this one, not so much.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Funny thing is, I can hit the targets in the test, when it comes to the real thing I'm awful. Which is funny, I'm good at sniping in other games, this one, not so much.
Try out practicing the octoling stages. They're good target practice!

Aeladya

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Aeladya
Switch Friend Code
SW-4028-2792-9217
Try out practicing the octoling stages. They're good target practice!
I still haven't beaten hero mode yet...sector 3 level 13 is not my friend lol. Splatling and platforming...I swear that stage makes me want to pull my hair out.

Torloth

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Torloth
I still haven't beaten hero mode yet...sector 3 level 13 is not my friend lol. Splatling and platforming...I swear that stage makes me want to pull my hair out.
I'm not remembering that stage as a vivid low point. In my single player experience.
I recommend that you get a little more comfortable with the Splatining. It's big it's unweildy, and the big cousin to the Charger class.

(Warrning I'm not a Splatining pro)
50-80% charges will give you lots of stopping power. If the single player is too difficult give that puppy a run in Turfwar.
It is really fun to be heavy weapon Squid.
Just get comfortable with the weapon however it makes you feel comfortable.

If you are using twin sticks to snipe you might have a bad time... See Splatoon 2 has no aim assistance... So trying to aim with a Stick is way less precises than motion, but motion isn't something that you learn in 10 minutes. It takes time, but as someone who has just switched I can tell you that it's totally worth it. (I've also been working on my charger game, keep it up I'm cheering for you )
BOOOYAH!!!!

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
I find with things like splat Zones, especially early game, there is no middle ground. Out of every splat Zones game I've played in splatoon 2, about 2 have been on point difference, every other game has gone down to KO. And there's one reason for that, Splat Zones is really tough to get back into, even in late game, unless you have the timing and strategies to understand, simply tanking shots and trying to solo the zone isn't enough. I mean it isn't in the other ranked modes, but I have the most difficult time in Zones bar when I think about my moves carefully over going in mindlessly, even in C-.

To say you are below average if you don't break even, when every game is a knockout; I don't agree with. It's a 50% chance of winning, but it's also a 50% chance of getting one of the two maps, but how often do we always get moray towers instead of the reef? Just because you lose most of your games does not mean you don't belong in your rank. Splat Zones is tough, but if you can learn to turn the tides just enough to at least reclaim the zone, you can go far with practice. Just keep out of the zone and at least if you die it won't be as big a detriment as if you die don't in the zone. Most of my flanks with the splat Roller came too late early on but when I figured everything out I could win pretty consistently.

Although yeah, blaming your team can be pretty detrimental too, just focus on what killed you and don't let the slat take over, as hard as that cannot be. Sound off out loud but in your head think of where you screwed up, and if they're just better, go to a different lobby XD

Nuddlmaus

Pro Squid
NNID
Nuddlmaus
I don't blame my team but its beyond me why we dominate the enemy team 2 minutes and 30 seconds only to lose the whole ground and game in the last 30 seconds! Every third or fourth match...

Zwei

Full Squid
NNID
ZweiMC
only to lose the whole ground and game in the last 30 seconds!
Turnarounds like this are very common from what I've seen. The aforementioned domination gets to the team's head and leads them to overextend a lot, allowing for a flanking attack by a single person to cause your position to fold in on itself. The best way to prevent this from happening in solo queue is to open the map a lot more during downtime, and communicate with your team members via the "This way!" command to attempt to shut down the potentially lethal flank attempt.

Conversely, if you're getting dominated over the first 2 minutes, it's also good practice to do a last-ditch flank effort--if nobody detects you or the one person that does isn't enough to stop you, the team has a fighting chance. If it fails, there was already nothing to be lost in attempting.

Nuddlmaus

Pro Squid
NNID
Nuddlmaus
Usually it only takes one person to block a flank caused by an overextention attempt. Develop map awareness, and this can be you--I've prevented many comebacks this way myself.
Hm think of it thats a really nice advice, i will try to accomplish that.

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
What I do is after we took the tower/splat zone, I just camp on their spawn path, and Slap them in the back of the head. Always with Booyah!

SmokyWreck

A captain of the darkness.
Mmhh.. Splatzone has always been my forté. But the maps in splatoon2 make it hard to come back. The maps are relatively small and open, if the opponent have full control of the middle, they can see your attempt at flanking just by the direction you take out of your spawn. That cause a LOT of stress and for people to rush or get discouraged quickly. But that's just my point of view on this. Sometimes, it's not the team that are the problem but the maps.

I know i have been the savior in a match for my team. They took the whole map and my team was so under pressure, we had 2 points left to get a knockout and the opponent was slowly catching up. A quick brush trail into the middle and abusing my poor team's ruthless rushing game me an opening to take back the zone from the opponent at 3points, my team relaxed and we were able to fight them back. It didn't last long before we got spawn camped again. Before they got to overtime, i did the same thing but getting rid of their entire team, saving my team from a defeat. My team deffinitly wasn't bad, they even booyah'd my solo comeback. I could easily claim my team didn't do much and it was all on me, but it wasn't. If my team wouldn't keep rushing in without thinking, i could have never got that opening that allowed me to swoop in and take control of the zone. But i will blame the map. Some time, when my team win a full knockout, i can't help but feel miserable because it just feel unfair. We can see everything once you don't have to worry about the opponent. I personally will never blame my team, always the maps. :'P

Kinda semi-long post of why i'd never blame my team. IT'S ALWAYS THE MAPS I SAY! Always! //Ah/

Reactions: the

AlphaVoxel

Inkling
NNID
AlphaVoxel
Unfortunately, I am still stuck in Splatoon 1 for the time being, and I see some of these things in my brother (who seems to suffer from the Dunning-Kruger Effect that you mentioned earlier), and some things in myself and opponents. I have learned to pull quite a bit of weight, and overcompensate for the misplays of other teammates, and things seem to work out alright. There are times where I feel that my team does deserve most of the blame, especially when I know they have done little to help, or leave/rage quit, but I just have to fend for myself and hope they get the right idea...

Zwei

Full Squid
NNID
ZweiMC
Sometimes the team can be bad in an individual-game basis, especially in the case of a DC. All I'm claiming is that if you feel like it's happening more often than not, you're doing something wrong yourself.

Nuddlmaus

Pro Squid
NNID
Nuddlmaus
Sometimes the team can be bad in an individual-game basis, especially in the case of a DC. All I'm claiming is that if you feel like it's happening more often than not, you're doing something wrong yourself.
I can second that, sometimes i am the worst member of my team and need to be carried aswell thats the moment when you realize that you have still much left to learn or that you better go to bed. :D

kidsquid17

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Firefin
Switch Friend Code
SW-5267-5861-7211
if you ever start feeling this way, take a break and come back later. if you keep loosing matches its just going to make you in a bad mood and perform worse. clear your head and then come back in play. Its not you and its not them. a lot of matches can be determined in the first minute if a team pushes hard enough where the other team cant recover from.

I think we've all had a time where we believed our team wasn't helpful enough but in reality it was everyone's strategy at fault as well as their bond with the weapon, if you know what your weapon is capable of and not capable of it will make a huge difference with how you play. know your role and try and outsmart the opposing team.

Debbie

Senior Squid
NNID
MissRora
... as well as their bond with the weapon, if you know what your weapon is capable of and not capable of it will make a huge difference with how you play. know your role and try and outsmart the opposing team.
Exactly. I try to be a supportive team member, but when you spend 5 Turf War matches in a row with level 20-30 Aerospray mains who just make a beeline for the enemy spawn and even try to snipe from atop a pillar.... It's clear they don't know enough to be an effective part of a team. I can accept the rollers and brushes who go crazy inking everything but struggle with combat since hey, they at least understand the basics of their weapon....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom