• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Neutrals/Counterpicks/Bans For map selection in tournaments thread

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
At that point, you change location, and then resume the camp. On Morray, once you get to a certain point in TC, you will need to get on their lookout, if you want to do anything.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
One team can only effectively do that if they push into enemy territory, blocking the exits to the side paths. Pushing that deep typically means your team is already good enough to win and is difficult due elevations that cannot be swum (sorry if that is the wrong tense) up and the ramps that cannot be inked.
You don't have to commit far to camp Walleye, that's the point. The area near the zone you are trying to control is generally the same area you want to control to camp. From a design perspective, Walleye is just horrible, it just doesn't play out that poorly in practice outside of Zones because you're given incentive to move.

Last edited:

CutestFish

Pro Squid
NNID
Ultimatumm
Hi i didn't bother reading this thread. Banning a map because something is strong on it is the dumbest, ****tiest kneejerk way to go about things possible. Starter maps and counterpick maps or whatever can be good I guess, but it should really be mode by mode basis. Port Mackeral is a very different beast on all 3 gamemodes and should be considered individually for each mode.

However, adding a list of starters/counterpicks for each mode is really information overload and tedious. Choose wisely~

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
One team can only effectively do that if they push into enemy territory, blocking the exits to the side paths. Pushing that deep typically means your team is already good enough to win and is difficult due elevations that cannot be swum (sorry if that is the wrong tense) up and the ramps that cannot be inked.
Why would you need to push into enemy territory when a wall blocks 1 passage and an eliter can effective hold down mid and right entrance? That leaves 2-3 people to move freely and hold the zone.

Inkster Jr.
Why would you need to push into enemy territory when a wall blocks 1 passage and an eliter can effective hold down mid and right entrance? That leaves 2-3 people to move freely and hold the zone.
One E-liter 3K cannot hold down both mid and one of the side paths by a long shot. (see what I did there?)

On second thought, I concur; banning maps can be easily substituted with map counterpicks. Tediosity isn't an issue.
If you substitute banning maps with map counterpicks, then certain maps force a team to use up a ban. Bans become less ptional and more mandatory. For example, Halberd, from Super Smash Bros. Brawl should have been banned.

CutestFish

Pro Squid
NNID
Ultimatumm
One E-liter 3K cannot hold down both mid and one of the side paths by a long shot. (see what I did there?)

If you substitute banning maps with map counterpicks, then certain maps force a team to use up a ban. Bans become less ptional and more mandatory. For example, Halberd, from Super Smash Bros. Brawl should have been banned.
if both teams don't want to play on it neither will. if one team is better than you and picks it, you've plainly been outplayed by someone with higher diversity. this isn't smash bros where the characters are uneven. you can have identical weapon lineups on both sides.

Galaxeon

Inkling
the only map that is even worth talking about when it comes to bans (outside of rainmaker, which has its own problems) is saltspray zones. saltspray is the most defensively-biased map in zones given that the pushing team has three options for getting in and all of them are covered by a single elitre position plus a little fire support from some non-tentatek weapons
I disagree. You got the middle "no man's land" zone, some pipes on each side you can climb, also all the plateforms above. If one of your teamates put beacons in the north zone it's extremly easy to come back because it took time to destroy them, given the size of the zone. And they can't be everywhere. Of course they still got an advantage (especially with an e-liter or a splash wall) but that's alright, they got the zone.
Nah Walleye, Kelp Dome and Port freakin' Mackerel are worst, at least on that level.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Agreed with Captain Norris. I'm uncomfortable participating with a community that comes to conclusions to something without seeing it through.

As for Walleye, atm I think it's fine just poor for spectators. I just find it less entertaining than other maps but pretty much my only gripe with it. Well that and a spawn lock.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Halberd, from Super Smash Bros. Brawl should have been banned.
...In your opinion.
There's plenty of discussion on why the map continues to be allowed. People a every level have discussed this for coming up to a decade now.

But that's beside the point. I mainly wanted to point out that it's perfectly reasonable to ban a map because it promotes overly defensive play/creates standstill situation. It's actually the main reason all walk-off stages are banned in Smash. A big part of e-sports is the spectators. Yes, players come first, but the community can't succeed without people watching. If you continue to allow boring maps simply because they're still balanced you risk losing all your spectators, then you have a community of only players that can't support itself. AKA: a failure.

Inkster Jr.
...In your opinion.
But that's beside the point. I mainly wanted to point out that it's perfectly reasonable to ban a map because it promotes overly defensive play/creates standstill situation. It's actually the main reason all walk-off stages are banned in Smash. A big part of e-sports is the spectators. Yes, players come first, but the community can't succeed without people watching. If you continue to allow boring maps simply because they're still balanced you risk losing all your spectators, then you have a community of only players that can't support itself. AKA: a failure.
While that may be true, the community does not absolutely need to ban a map because it is not entertaining to watch even it is reasonable to ban it for the aforementioned reason. (I am not implying you said it was necessary)

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
As much as I hate Moray Towers, banning it I don't think would be the correct decision. You have to remember that while the map may be heavily in favour of E-liters, there are things which you can do to stop them, like using Killer Wail and Inkstrike. They may not secure a kill because they can be evaded, but it does temporarily stop your team from being fired upon, during which you can make a push and neutralize the chargers.

I also see an issue with banning maps because they're too good on it. You're essentially saying "I don't like this weapon, let's take away the maps where they excel". This is not the right approach and it's completely asinine. If you're going to do that you might as well ban the weapon the itself.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Banning should only be made necessarily is something is extremely broken. At the same time, we cannot ban something too early. Without enough time we will never see exactly what counter measures and adaptations teams will make on certain maps.
Agreed with Captain Norris. I'm uncomfortable participating with a community that comes to conclusions to something without seeing it through.
Hear me out for a second. It's good to think about what stages to ban, but not to ban them yet. We're in early stages of the game, yes, I agree with you that we shall not ban now. However, if no solution comes up in some of these gametypes with problems, we'll have to ban them. It's not to say that we must ban now, it's to say that we should be having specific gametypes on our radar.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Only gametypes that have problems are rainmaker and turf war and I don't think anyone would miss either. SZ and TC are fine on all maps.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
If you're going to do that you might as well ban the weapon the itself.
ugh and that as well would be awful to mess around with. Although, I think it would be good to test stuff like that out, such as banning eliter on Moray for a tournament. However, I think at the same time, I do not find the e-liter that broken to be banned. But hey, testing would be great.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Only gametypes that have problems are rainmaker and turf war and I don't think anyone would miss either. SZ and TC are fine on all maps.
There are always people who will miss them. I know I heard someone on the boards already saying they hope it's not banned, and it was already mentioned that Turf really only isn't interesting at this point because there's no proper spectator mode.
I really do think it's much too early to ban turf. Smash took months (years?) to ban items fully. Not saying we should have to wait that long necessarily, but turf's competitive viability is certainly much higher than items, so it won't kill us to play it for a while longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom