• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

New EU Splatfest: Barbarians vs Ninjas (Results)

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon

Are you a ̶P̶i̶r̶a̶t̶e̶ Barbarian? Or are you a Ninja?

Decide how you will fight like during next week!

Squix

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
DetSweg
Oh, finally a new EU Splatfest, thank God.

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
Oh lol, they just switch out Pirates for Barbarians. Couldn't they just say Knights or something European for Ninjas? Would keep it more into the Western aspect of things.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Would have very much preferred this splatfest for our "Halloween". Barbarians are much cooler than Pirates imo.

Go Barbarians!

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I take it the Barbarians are there for historical reasons? I doubt most Americans would recognize them. (Maybe the Goths, but not for who they were.)

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Well we do have Conan The Barbarian, Xena and a few other barbarian heroes, so at least we have the pop culture version of them.

As for why they chose those two, I'm assuming it's because they're both brigands from olden times. While ninjas are subtle, barbarians tend to be more overt and hegemonic--essentially land-based pirates. It'll be a sight to see those two methodologies fighting each other again next week.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Just to clear this stuff up, it's not about Barbarians and Ninjas themselves, but about playstyles. Barbarians meaning an agressive approach and Ninjas meaning a more stealthy approach, Callie&Marie even say this during the announcement.

Either way, i'm going for team Barbarian. I don't mind playing stealth once in a while, but going all agressive is what wins matches for me!

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
^Oh. So it's more like Brutes vs. Assassins then?

In that case I'm definitely a Barbarian. Very rarely have I successfully pulled off stealthy kills without giving myself away. (Not that going on an all-out assault is easier, just that I get more results that way.)

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
I don't know... I think I aspire to be a ninja but probably play like a barbarian.

Last edited:

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I find myself being really good with taking down foes when I use a CQC weapon like the Carbon Roller or the Splash-O-Matic; it gets harder when I use an assasinatory one like the Octobrush or Chargers. I'm going to put my money on Barbarians here.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I am NA so I am not part of this but in many games that allow this I make plans on taking on bosses by bulking up on health/defense powerups and then when I get to the boss I try to take out the boss as quickly as possible while tanking many hits tanks to building up on health/defense. I guess that will make me geared towards the barbarian side. Just ask all those Pikmin who died for my cause because I wanted to finish a boss quickly.

In actual Splatoon matches I change up depending in circumstances. If I have the opportunity to sneak up on an opponent, especially snipers I will do it, I also have builds for charging up specials very quickly so I can take out/chase away snipers from their perches with an Inkstrike/Killer Wail which I do by inking up in another place that is safe and then letting them have it which I guess may apply as a ninja strategy. Otherwise I am perfectly fine taking someone upfront should I need a quick reaction time before they can do any more damage. I usually win upfront an encounter or trade blows rather than lose out entirely.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Just to clear this stuff up, it's not about Barbarians and Ninjas themselves, but about playstyles. Barbarians meaning an agressive approach and Ninjas meaning a more stealthy approach, Callie&Marie even say this during the announcement.
was gonna say that myself. ninjas vs pirates was "who would you rather dress up as?" and this one asks the question "how is your playstyle?". i'm barbaric as heck. i normally don't have the patience to be stealthy, but if the situation demands it or if it's the better strategy, than i will be stealthy. so yeah, i'd pick barbarian if i lived in europe.

ArcticWolf

Inkster Jr.
NNID
RedGazelle7
Marie pls
"I'm not surprised you picked Barbarian."
"I've seen the way you eat!"

Reyalin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
xapivox
It's funny how everyone has picked Barbarian here, when most miiverse posts are people voting for Ninja.

Coleo&Idea

Inkling Cadet
Team Ninja. My playstyle is about plan, hide, be careful, supportive and splat the enemy from a safe distance or when they're distracted.

Vesperupus

Inkling
NNID
Vesperupus
It's funny how everyone has picked Barbarian here, when most miiverse posts are people voting for Ninja.
Which is why I've been putting off voting. I try to be more stealthy since running into the fray head on doesn't work for me but as it seems team Ninja will be playing against themselves...or at least so I've heard from other splatfests when one side was way more popular than the other.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I should mention that when I have to take out opponents upfront to prevent them from doing any more damage, if I do lose out and the opponent is out there standing, I will send a Booyah ("Nice" since this is a EU related topic even though I am from NA) to show the approximate location of my opponent and many times a teammate will notice where the Booyah is coming from and chase the opponent down and finish the job for me so a brute force tactic can be played even more strategically, at least for me.

I no longer use "C'mon" (To me in EU) for this purpose because I found that people will consider jumping to me safe.

shisue

Inkling
NNID
SHlSUE
Eh, I feel like I have to join Team Barbarian because Dave the Barbarian was hilarious. :v

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom