• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

New Game Mode: Rainmaker

We hope squids are ready to make it RAIN!

Or at least ready to play more ranked soon, as Rainmaker will be released this upcoming Friday in another Splatoon update!

Being the third of the ranked matchmaking trio, Rainmaker asks you deliver a golden fish to the other team's base, similar to the Bomb gametype in the Halo series. Though be warned, it won't be easy. The Rainmaker has a shield to protect itself, and can only be held for 60 seconds. Teamwork and bodyguarding will be essential. Luckily, whoever is holding the Rainmaker is not defenseless, as the fish of gold can be charged up and fire huge whirlpools of ink! (Think like a shorter range inkzooka, but with much more width! AND SCARY SOUND EFFECTS!)

The fine folks at GameXplain already have a match for all your over-analyzing needs as well on their channel!

Are you hyped for Rainmaker? What's your favorite ranked game so far? Let us know down in the comments!

Wispy is a gamer currently going to college to become a copywriter. A Bulbasaur enthusiast, she is fan of all things Splatoon and Super Smash Bros. To keep up with her adventures in gaming be sure to follow her on Twitter.

Last edited:

Comments

So here are my thoughts on this mode: killer wail is incredibly strong, blackbelly skatepark makes for some extremely stressful matches, and some maps have crazy shortcuts you can take.

Killer wail is a beast because you always know where the enemy rainmaker is, and they are very slow when they use it, making them vulnerable. Plus they usually have their team close to them, so getting teamwipes using killer wail happens reasonably often.

Blackbelly's rush distance from centre to the goal is EXTREMELY short and doesn't have any real barriers, making matches here very very quick, or very heavily contested in a small area. Bluefin depot, on the other hand, is extremely hard to reach the goal of, and not once did I see anyone manage to do it while I was playing. However, getting far with the rainmaker is considerably easier if you go through the left side of the map rather than the right side, because of an extra block of paintable wall that you can climb up.

Kelp dome has a shortcut if you go through the top of the map, where you will instantly drop to 50 distance left as soon as you get off the walkway. It's not really a "shortcut", rather just being an alternate path, but it's much shorter than the way I see most people go, which is to the right and then up.

So here are my thoughts on this mode: killer wail is incredibly strong, blackbelly skatepark makes for some extremely stressful matches, and some maps have crazy shortcuts you can take.

Killer wail is a beast because you always know where the enemy rainmaker is, and they are very slow when they use it, making them vulnerable. Plus they usually have their team close to them, so getting teamwipes using killer wail happens reasonably often.

Blackbelly's rush distance from centre to the goal is EXTREMELY short and doesn't have any real barriers, making matches here very very quick, or very heavily contested in a small area. Bluefin depot, on the other hand, is extremely hard to reach the goal of, and not once did I see anyone manage to do it while I was playing. However, getting far with the rainmaker is considerably easier if you go through the left side of the map rather than the right side, because of an extra block of paintable wall that you can climb up.

Kelp dome has a shortcut if you go through the top of the map, where you will instantly drop to 50 distance left as soon as you get off the walkway. It's not really a "shortcut", rather just being an alternate path, but it's much shorter than the way I see most people go, which is to the right and then up.
I think a lot of maps will have shorter routes. Kelp Dome and Triggerfish both have short routes, but in most of my games and streams I saw, the longer obvious routes are being taken.

I'm enjoying the new mode

found that a different build of clothes works better in Rainmaker - this is what I currently use:

Run and Swim Speed Up effect the speed at which you carry the Rain Maker. Comeback is godly since it boosts your speed/damage among other things. Quick Respawn is also very good from what I can see. The other thing is Special Saver since most of the time when you carry the Rain Maker you will die but your special will be full.

So far I'm enjoying the mode more than Towa, SplatZone remains my favorite mode though even though it seems slow in comparision to Rain Makers 30 second matches(not even stops two team wipes pretty much ensure victory as long as the player carrying the Rain Maker is running in the right direction. The only problem is people splitting up, this is pretty much the mode that requires the most squids in one area protecting their rainmaker thus if anyone is in another part of the map it will hamper your entire team.

Honestly I cant wait till I try more maps on this mode. Since it does appear to change things up/different routes and platforms being implemented.

I wish players would stop thinking they're godly and can wipe through the enemy defenses with the Rainmaker, it just gets you killed if you try leading, and then the other team gets it >.>

Okay, so I've played a lot of Rainmaker matches, and I love it. splatzones is still my favourite mode, but Rainmaker certainly TOWERS over Tower Control, and it's in a tie with Turf War as my second favourite.

I feel like a few things should be changed that would make this my favorite gamemode.

1. Be able to pass the rainmaker: It's very frustrating to have a full special gauge and not be able to use it, and sometimes I accidentally pick up the rainmaker when I am nowhere near the best guy for the job. If I was able to pass the rainmaker to another person (probably rather slowly) it would make this a lot less frustrating.

2. Modify the maps more: So, I was just able to cosistantly win on Saltspray rig over and over due to a very cheap tactic: Get a lead at the start, and then just camp over in the north of the map. I hated myself for it, but it worked really well, I'd either remove that part of the map, or just shorten the exploder time (or whatever) on the rainmaker.
Also, the smaller maps are so irritating, so many times I just feel like I totally did not deserve a win just cause we got a lucky few splats at the start, and then took five seconds to swim over, but I suppose this could also be avoided by playing smarter and more defensively. But maybe they could make the end tower things higher on small maps.

Don't make this seem like I don't like this gamemode, I really do, it's intense, action-packed, and exhilarating. And these updates are continuously making Splatoon more and more one of my favorite games of all time. I've just felt the need to state my opinions for some reason. Perhaps I should just shut up and wait for the Meta to develop:P

So, I was just able to cosistantly win on Saltspray rig over and over due to a very cheap tactic: Get a lead at the start, and then just camp over in the north of the map. I hated myself for it, but it worked really well, I'd either remove that part of the map, or just shorten the exploder time (or whatever) on the rainmaker.
I learned this 10 minutes ago, I facepalmed at myself for not realizing.

I'm not the only one who thinks this mode either concludes in 20 seconds or goes on for the entire time and is hardly anywhere in between right?
Maybe they should make it so your speed with the rainmaker scales over time, at the start, you go even slower than now (to prevent early blowouts) and towards the end you go basically normal speed (to prevent nothing happening)

Maybe they should make it so your speed with the rainmaker scales over time, at the start, you go even slower than now (to prevent early blowouts) and towards the end you go basically normal speed (to prevent nothing happening)
Just locking the holder of the rainmaker from squidding would work even, just being forced to leg it would easily make things last longer.

Just locking the holder of the rainmaker from squidding would work even, just being forced to leg it would easily make things last longer.
That would break any maps that make you climb walls and they would have to change the base where you do have to ink and squid up it.
There is one thing I though of; and I'm rather curious how it'd work. In kelp dome, could you swim back to your base, then over the ramp, skipping half the map?
Some people do that or they climb on the center and walk the grate.

Got to play for about 6 hours from the release of Rainmaker, I really had no idea what build of weapons and gear would work best at first. After a few matches, I found it what worked best for me was gear to maximize ink saver main and ink saver sub, along with the obvious ink resistance boots. Haunt was also very useful for this mode when the enemy rain maker splats you. What I noticed a lot of was everyone was running out of ink :confused:. It is because of the tug of war with the rainmaker shield, LOL.

Also found out the hard way, the Rain maker shield can crush you (not explode) and if you try to bounce on top of it, depending on what is around you, you bounce into the void or get silly bouncing pinball if you find one in the corner. Bluefin Depot oddly enough my favorite map for silliness. Being on top of the Rainmaker shield when it explodes, hilarious air time (if your team pops it first). :D

My favorite weapon to use was the .52 deco and the seeker subs. All of sudden, those subs are Rain Maker seekers. The inkstrike at first seems kind of useless, but I've found it useful to have the special ready, and then fire a missile right in the direction I am going, then grab the rain maker and run. The seeker sub also seems to be able to pop the rain maker shield almost instantly, only takes 2 of them.

While playing rain maker, at first I would do protection detail and follow the rain maker by either going ahead to ink a path for quick swimming or follow behind the rain maker while he/she fires constantly tornadoes of ink ahead and I keep others off his/her back.

After a half hour of that, I finally started to take over the role of just grabbing the rain maker and run. In all the 6 hours, I was able to cap on every level at least 4 times or more (Kelp Dome, Camp Triggerfish, Blackbelly Skatepark, and Bluefin Depot) Once you get into the groove, this mode is a ton of fun because it is very random. I've seen other teams cap our team in mere seconds and vice-versa I've done a few second runs against other teams, really catches them off guard.

Overall, a ton of fun, probably my new favorite ranked mode. The mode probably requires the most extensive use of the gamepad screen and team coordination is a real must. Super jumping makes distances around the map easy, so each member needs to pick a role and stick with it. If you are a defender, play the role. If you want to be the guy/gal that runs with the rain maker, play the role. Just don't have an entire team of runners or an entire team of defenders, your team will lose quickly that way.

I think I love this mode more than Tower Control. I love the ability to move more freely with the rainmaker but I admit I was surprised by the fact the shield can hurt you by contact. Going to need a few more days getting the hang of it on all the courses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom