• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

New Game Mode: Rainmaker

We hope squids are ready to make it RAIN!

Or at least ready to play more ranked soon, as Rainmaker will be released this upcoming Friday in another Splatoon update!

Being the third of the ranked matchmaking trio, Rainmaker asks you deliver a golden fish to the other team's base, similar to the Bomb gametype in the Halo series. Though be warned, it won't be easy. The Rainmaker has a shield to protect itself, and can only be held for 60 seconds. Teamwork and bodyguarding will be essential. Luckily, whoever is holding the Rainmaker is not defenseless, as the fish of gold can be charged up and fire huge whirlpools of ink! (Think like a shorter range inkzooka, but with much more width! AND SCARY SOUND EFFECTS!)

The fine folks at GameXplain already have a match for all your over-analyzing needs as well on their channel!

Are you hyped for Rainmaker? What's your favorite ranked game so far? Let us know down in the comments!

Wispy is a gamer currently going to college to become a copywriter. A Bulbasaur enthusiast, she is fan of all things Splatoon and Super Smash Bros. To keep up with her adventures in gaming be sure to follow her on Twitter.

Last edited:

Comments

Just to inkstrike and super jump (Kappa)
And theorise where the enemy is based off of ink appearing to plot your path, see where your teammates are so you can decide to back them up or spread more ground, monitor your beacons' status to see if you should replace one, see where the Rainmaker is to get to it or intercept the enemy... You sure you're not talking about yourself and a minority?

And theorise where the enemy is based off of ink appearing to plot your path, see where your teammates are so you can decide to back them up or spread more ground, monitor your beacons' status to see if you should replace one, see where the Rainmaker is to get to it or intercept the enemy... You sure you're not talking about yourself and a minority?
If you haven't noticed yet then i'll tell you.
I said this deliberately to mention (and mock) the people who never make good use of the map and only use it to inkstrike and super jump.

I always check my map for stuff like beacons and other crucial information. I'm honestly surprised I wasn't attacked sooner for that post. (I even said kappa but I guess you don't understand that thing).

Second day of Rainmaker, and it looks like things are tougher... Might be the switched maps or people getting used to the mode. Still at B where I left off after the first day, but I gained about a few tens.
If you haven't noticed yet then i'll tell you.
I said this deliberately to mention (and mock) the people who never make good use of the map and only use it to inkstrike and super jump.

I always check my map for stuff like beacons and other crucial information. I'm honestly surprised I wasn't attacked sooner for that post. (I even said kappa but I guess you don't understand that thing).
I didn't realize you were being sarcastic the whole time. Usually, when I see a poster joking around, it's either obvious, or is aided by things like intentionally making the statement all lowercase or creating a strike through the statement. I thought you were being truly dismissive of the map, because your joking around wasn't really obvious.

Also, I knew you were trying to post that emoticon that's popular on Twitch, and I've seen people use it for sarcastic statements, which is why I was confused when you said "kappa". Though, I'll admit, I'm not 100% sure how it's used, unless my judgement I mentioned was right.

Second day of Rainmaker, and it looks like things are tougher... Might be the switched maps or people getting used to the mode. Still at B where I left off after the first day, but I gained about a few tens.

I didn't realize you were being sarcastic the whole time. Usually, when I see a poster joking around, it's either obvious, or is aided by things like intentionally making the statement all lowercase or creating a strike through the statement. I thought you were being truly dismissive of the map, because your joking around wasn't really obvious.

Also, I knew you were trying to post that emoticon that's popular on Twitch, and I've seen people use it for sarcastic statements, which is why I was confused when you said "kappa". Though, I'll admit, I'm not 100% sure how it's used, unless my judgement I mentioned was right.
I'll probably have to do this from now on.

Looks fun! I like how carrying the golden fish doesn't make you completely vulnerable to attack like the tower in Tower Control does, what with its second-rate Inkzooka to blast away opponents with. As long as teammates are still next to you to guard you and grab the fish when you get splatted, things shouldn't turn out too badly. This mode may be a lot better than Tower Control and Splat Zones.

Not playing in squads is giving me gray hairs. There is too many moments where I am quoting the last line in Guardians of the Galaxy; "Fine, I'll do it myself."

I just finished two matches where I snuck around, inked, took the rainmaker, and booked it for the lead in the last 10 seconds. Aka, I did all the work.

Only matter of time before people get more used to this mode. But until then....man.....

I love this mode. Carbon roller (Almost typo'd that as 'troller') lets me sneak up behind the other team and I can wipe out 2-3 players at a time as well as ink a path for my team mates. I do think some of the stalling is annoying but I haven't ran into it much. I have caught a team mate trying to hide in the northern part of saltspray rig, but there were 9 seconds on the timer left.

this is my favourite mode for ranked, because there are so many tactical ways to destroy the opponents :p In Zones or Tower Control is a strikt rule how to win a round, not in Rainmaker ^_^

I'm enjoying the mode, it's basically rugby but with only one try to win... and that's also my problem with it, I'd far prefer if you could score multiple times with a time limit; possibly give the rainmaker slightly higher speed to avoid the occasional stally game...

Still, I'm thankful this is more a ball game and we can still get a more normal CtF, I was kinda worried this would be it...

That moment when you get the rainmaker to the goal after about 4 and a half minutes of an extreme stall battle is the greatest feeling in the world. I love this mode more and more everytime I play even when I lose.

Chaos is part of the reason why Rainmaker is so much fun
Yeah, I think for some people it depends on if they like the Chaos or not. Personally, I want a game that doesn't have 5 things going on at once, which is why I prefer Splat Zones to the other Ranked modes.

From what I can tell, after a few games with some different weapons, its like a mix of tower control and turf war. A lot of weapons that were previously unconventional do much better. The inkstrike and killer wail don't do as well as on tower control, but the inkzooka and bubbler are amazing. Seekers also do well against a charging rainmaker, making this one of the only modes where the aerospray mg is better than the rg.

Personally, I'm just glad my Nouveau will finally be seeing some use. The normal inkbrush is better in turf war and splat zone, but I just couldn't take the Nouveau into tower control, because the beam in the center of the tower nullifies the entire attack. My first game using the Nouveau, my team managed to push up before getting killed behind a corner. For the rest of the game, I swam up and killed whoever took the rainmaker. After they got smart, I mixed it up by charging a bubbler and managed to wipe out the entire enemy team. This mode may be my favorite, once my teammates learn how to take alternate routes rather than rushing into where everyone is already camping.

There is one thing I though of; and I'm rather curious how it'd work. In kelp dome, could you swim back to your base, then over the ramp, skipping half the map?
There's a barrier there so you can't do that.

Rainmaker is definitely my favorite game mode. I've had so many really intense matches, completely insane matches and utter domination matches with it. It combines the best of Tower Control and adds more strategy and team work aspects. Its especially fun on Camp Triggerfish and Moray Towers.

There's a barrier there so you can't do that.
Not the catwalk with the barrier, the actual ramp into the corner. Everyone forgets it, even though I see it frequently used in every other game mode. I already tried it, and it does work. Its a direct shortcut past the middle, if they're all camping around the middle, its pretty much a free win. I've won a few games with this surprise tactic already, if I'd already created a path to the pedestal.

Not the catwalk with the barrier, the actual ramp into the corner. Everyone forgets it, even though I see it frequently used in every other game mode. I already tried it, and it does work. Its a direct shortcut past the middle, if they're all camping around the middle, its pretty much a free win. I've won a few games with this surprise tactic already, if I'd already created a path to the pedestal.
Yeah sorry I just realized what you were talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom