• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

New Gear Abilities Next Season

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
So this probably won't happen but it would be cool if they added a new gear ability next season. My hope is something from side order like shot size or making a weaker version of squid roll attack, maybe even something really random like boosting your jump height. What do you guys think would be cool though?

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
Last time we added an ability, we blatantly overtuned a bunch of weapons and changed the way people had to fight them, forcing nintendo to keep nerfing said weapons patch after patch, we killed an entire weapon class, forced a new utility sub on people, and increased gear depedency across the board.

LET'S JUST SAY WE DON'T HAVE THE GREATEST TRACK RECORD
s2 Main Power Up

Last edited:

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
Last time we added an ability, we blatantly overtuned a bunch of weapons and changed the way people had to fight them, forcing nintendo to keep nerfing said weapons patch after patch, we killed an entire weapon class, forced a new utility sub on people, and increased gear depedency across the board.

LET'S JUST SAY WE DON'T HAVE THE GREATEST TRACK RECORD
Dang I didn't realize intensify action was so unhealthy

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
Dang I didn't realize intensify action was so unhealthy
I was thinking of a brand new ability post launch, but I get the confusion oops, intensify is totally fine dw, I was talking about the infamous Main Power Up from s2

RubberCF

Senior Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2041-7487-3622
My concern with adding a new gear ability late in the game is that now everyone has to go back and respec their builds.
My concern with adding a new gear ability late in the game is that now everyone has to go back and respec their builds.
Ideally people regularly change their builds anyways as their playstyle changes or they get to higher ranks where different things work. I understand tho that isnt for everyone. I dont think 1 new ability would mean too much grinding though

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
We need more shoe exclusives. Bomb Sniffer was shoe-exclusive, IIRC.
I can’t think of much off the top of my head. Splat Ink Recovery from Side Order might make a decent gear ability…

Now that I think about it, it’s kind of funny that Object Shredder didn’t make it into Side Order. There are plenty of armoured enemies.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Bring back Recon! This is a good idea that absolutely wouldn't have any downsides!

RubberCF

Senior Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2041-7487-3622
Id like a new ability but we could effectively get a similar thing by buffing weak ability options. Like i do in my ability update https://squidboards.com/threads/making-an-ability-only-balance-patch.44303/
Like a new ability would be cool but it would also be cool if we like buffed thermal ink and drop roller, or added effects to power up abilities and intensify action to be useful on more things

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
Id like a new ability but we could effectively get a similar thing by buffing weak ability options. Like i do in my ability update https://squidboards.com/threads/making-an-ability-only-balance-patch.44303/
Like a new ability would be cool but it would also be cool if we like buffed thermal ink and drop roller, or added effects to power up abilities and intensify action to be useful on more things
It's be cool if you got a run speed bonus after using drop roller

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
It's be cool if you got a run speed bonus after using drop roller
You do! Drop Roller actually applies 10 AP of Run Speed Up, Swim Speed Up, and Ink Resistance up for 3 seconds after the roll.
A lot of people think a good way to buff the ability is by increasing the duration of its post-roll bonuses.

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
You do! Drop Roller actually applies 10 AP of Run Speed Up, Swim Speed Up, and Ink Resistance up for 3 seconds after the roll.
A lot of people think a good way to buff the ability is by increasing the duration of its post-roll bonuses.
Ah I'm just an idiot

RubberCF

Senior Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2041-7487-3622
It actually gives you 30 ap of each

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom