• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

New Tower Control Cheese strategy.

Lyre

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Muddybob

Above: My terrible drawing of what it is.

Strategy discovered by a random japanese team we encountered in ranked, don't remember their tag, sorry.

This tactic exists because of how superjump works in splatoon in relation to other inklings.

How it works:
  1. Inking jumps on tower, moves it however much they want.
  2. Inkling, from the tower, inks a nearby wall.
  3. Inkling, still from the tower, jumps directly to the wall and clings to it.
  4. Any other Inkling jumping to the first that is wallhanging will now jump to the tower instead.
This works because of the way superjump interacts with other Inklings. If an Inkling is jumping from a spot either into the air, or onto a wall, the superjump marker will try to pick the last grounded location the inkling was at.

The last known location in this case is the tower. As long as that inkling remains on that wall, anyone superjumping to him/her will be redirected towards the tower on the spot that the inkling jumped from, regardless of where the tower is actually. This works on any map that has an inkable wall accessible from the tower.

By having one of your squadmates do this, you will essentially be turning one team member into a pseudo infinite use beakon on the tower. Combine this with Stealth jump, and you will have a never ending stream of inklings flying at that tower.

To stop it, you just need to get rid of that beakon. Using echolocator or just sleuthing, figure out where and which inkling is acting as the beakon, then scrape him/her off the wall. You only need to make him/her touch the ground to reset the super jump target.

What this means for squads? Really this is just a cheese strategy. Once the opponent figures out what you're doing, it is quite easily stopped. It can be used pretty much once against a set of opponents until they figure out what's going on. The hiding spot must be on the path of the tower, on a wall, which means ninja squid won't help you.

What is the threat of this? Quick Respawn + Stealth jump honestly. You constantly need to check the skies to see inkoming inklings.When you finally figure out where that anchor is and remove it, it might be too late.

So really this is kind of like a PSA. It caught my squad off guard until we used echo locator and put 2 and 2 together.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Wow, really interesting and have never (knowingly) inkountered this in a match before. I wonder how long it has been a known strategy.

Then again I have never done 4v4 squad battles, and I guess it would be mostly impossible to coordinate with 2-squid cells or in solo queue, so that's probably why.

Though I understand how jumping works really well, I still have never thought to try this. haha. I immediately think of Bluefin, the elevation area when you're entering your opponents' base. A good place to hide would be on the side of the quarter pipe, maybe.

Lyre

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Muddybob
We encountered this on Moray Towers, where the enemy team all ran quick respawn + stealth jump, then hid their inkling on the side of the lookout platform near the bottom. We didn't notice he was there until they hit around the 35 marker, then when our charger used echo-locate, we saw the guy hiding there and I realized what was going on, burst bombed him, then attempted to bring it back. Unfortunately it was too late in the game for a recovery.

beckert26

Full Squid
NNID
beckert26
This should mean they'll land in the same spot everytime though which should be easy to pick off stealth jumpers.

Duster

Inkster Jr.
This should mean they'll land in the same spot everytime though which should be easy to pick off stealth jumpers.
tru but its still okay for unespected foes who dont know the strategy/dont know that its happening. But still normal salt jump is better tbh.

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
Quite an interesting method. I'm sure this is going to show up more since there are a plethora of wall-based hiding places from the tower's path. To top it off, you can get to some extremely hard to reach places with a Kraken on a few maps. This will make for some interesting hiding spots that'll definitely require an Echolocator to counter against but it seems like it still shares most of the same flaws as the standard Stealth Jump+Quick Respawn lock. I'm quite sure players will use this but to a lesser "cheese" extent when they need to act as a beacon without sacrificing too much safety for forward momentum on a tower push.

beckert26

Full Squid
NNID
beckert26
tru but its still okay for unespected foes who dont know the strategy/dont know that its happening. But still normal salt jump is better tbh.
We'll try to implement this in normal salt jump. Like it could good for starting off a game to get safer jumps. Or could be good for trying to stall.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
It's a good idea if the other team doesn't expect it, but the fact that you can never hide it is a problem once they expect it.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
If I'm remembering correctly, on Bluefin Depot, there are actually inkable walls underneath the un-inkable ground at the ends of the lower area, and the tower just happens to pass over that spot on its way to the upper levels. I'm curious as to whether, with some careful setup, it would be possible for an inkling to hide under there, becoming almost unassailable.

GoldWatson

Full Squid
NNID
floandgold
This sounds like a very interesting strategy. I'll definitely be telling my squad about this.

H4I

Inkling
NNID
TheLateLateShow
Will this work if the other team gets the tower and takes it, and if your team super jumps to you, will they go on the tower or will they go somewhere else?

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
Will this work if the other team gets the tower and takes it, and if your team super jumps to you, will they go on the tower or will they go somewhere else?
They will always go to the tower, regardless of who controls it.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
That's a rather interesting strategy, and certainly one I would never have thought of myself. I was already aware of how the game calculates super jump positions when an Inkling is on a wall or air-borne. The difficulty with this is that you would ideally find a wall that has plenty of space to move around on so you can keep changing your position to counter Echolocators (using Cold-Blooded). As you have mentioned, it won't really replace the Stealth Jump and Quick Respawn strategy which is more effective due to Inklings respawning faster than a Stealth Jump takes place, allowing for endless jumps to the Tower, thereby forcing it to continue moving to the goal. It's a very risky strategy as well, since you'll be turning matches into a 3v4 because you'll be spending your match on one wall whilst your teammates do the jumping, and it's something that won't happen in Solo due to the lack of communication between players. Then again, in squads it's more likely going to be stopped when the other team spots that one player hasn't been seen all game, gets marked by Echolocation or they realise that the same 3 people are constantly jumping to Tower when they are getting wiped and the 4th isn't anywhere to be found.

A smart idea, but one that is difficult to pull off and is most likely not worth the risk, especially when you consider maps like Hammerhead and Triggerfish, where there aren't really any good walls around to exploit this.

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
his works because of the way superjump interacts with other Inklings. If an Inkling is jumping from a spot either into the air, or onto a wall, the superjump marker will try to pick the last grounded location the inkling was at.
Wow, I didn't know that, thanks for this piece of information! I always wondered if there is an effective way of rotating players controlling the tower while the others are nearby. But this strategy is even better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom