• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

New weapon class idea

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Anyways... I was thinking about a sort of crossbow that fires bolts that ink a path below them as they travel, and stick themselves in the ground and inksplode a second later if they don't hit something. Probably can be charged to do more damage so that it isn't another shooter subclass.
I also like the concept of a vaguely magical trident weapon class or equippable Salmonid frying pans, but I can't think of ideas for either.
Honestly you mentioning a crossbow idea kind of reminded me of a special Charger idea I had. I think it would be cool if the Crossbow was a sub-category of Charger that was built around pre-charging your shots, similar to how you can pre-load an arrow. You can charge up to 3 shots and instead of having to charge before firing in the field, you can fire off 3 shots instantly.

Once you start pre-charging you get 1 shot every time the charge wheel completes a cycle, if you stop charging before you reach 1 full charge, you'll fire a weak stream of ink similar to a normal Splat Charger, but if you let go after 1 full charge, you'll have that charge stored and the next time you press ZR, it will fire off that shot. If you stop charging after you've stored at least 1, you won't be able to continue charging till you've fired the already stored charge. Same principle, if you have multiple charges, you'll have to use up all of them before you can start charging again.

The huge drawback is this is extremely bad if somebody is able to approach you without a charge ready since there is a long process to get a shot ready. And you also need perfect aiming on a tap.

I’ve been having this idea about a weapon that’s called Spladio (splat radio) that sends 2 Hit Kill shockwaves that ink in a way simalar to Splashdown
Think that would be more interesting as a sub weapon. You throw out a device that does doesn't paint, but does passive AOE damage.

Last edited:

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
There's something IRL that's basically a mix of paintball and archery, where you're shooting arrow-like things with paintballs on the tip at others. Ever since I heard of that I thought that'd be cool for Splatoon. Hold the button to shoot it further, but it won't leave a long trail like a Charger. Something like that.
I disagree. This series may have started out as a shooter, but it's evolved beyond that. Case in point: rollers, brushes, are in no way, shape are form, any type of shooter weapon.
Roller and Brushes have always been part of the series. Rollers since day one, and Brushes were already revealed well before launch of S1 and were only left out of the initial release for the sake of weapon rollouts. So I don't see how the series has 'evolved' in that regard. If anything it has evolved to be more of a shooter since the Rollers now have a new attack with more range and there's been only one new Roller and no Brushes in S2. And even then, their main way of attacking is still projectile-based.

Lots of shooters have some form of melee attacking, too. Even DOOM had you punching and chainsawing enemies.

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
I had an idea for an entire brand of kitchen-themed weapons, which would take existing classes and utterly defy their playstyles, kind of like the Bamboozler for other classes.

The brand would be called Olive, and alternate kits would be painted pale green.

Hyper-fast firing dualies based on electric whisks, with the worst spread of any weapon in the game - bullets could go anywhere within 180 degrees of where you're facing. They'd also have long, sweeping rolls which would follow the left stick closely, allowing you to curve rolls around obstacles. They also wouldn't have a statue mode. They'd be great for inking wide areas, manoeuvring across hostile terrain, and interfering with teammates' fights.

Kit: Toxic Mist, Bubble Blower.

Long-ranged, fast-firing slosher (faster than tri-) based on a ladle. Leaves ink trails too thin to swim through, so needs to stick around its own team's ink much more than usual. 20 damage minimum, but deals more damage the farther it falls to a maximum of 48, so hitting enemies over walls is the best way to use it. The ink has a narrow hitbox, so if you can see the Splisher user, it's easy to dodge their more powerful attacks. Can contribute to a battle without having to expose itself, and would be extremely useful for maps with high-up areas like Moray, Arowana and Blackbelly.

Kit: Curling Bombs, Inkjet.

Basically a big brush, based on a basting brush (I love this sentence). Swings are incredibly slow, but send out solid waves of ink, which oneshots at the beginning of the swing and deals only 40 damage at the end, so you need to specifically aim to the left or right of the target depending on which way the swing is going. Rolls slightly faster than the carbon and covers the same turf, but doesn't accelerate so is slower over long stretches. Rolling deals 60 but barely knocks you back, so crushing is still viable especially after a swing. A strong assassination weapon, but has a very disjointed hitbox, and if you miss you're likely to die. Land a Burst Bomb direct, and a flick will always one-shot.

Kit: Burst Bombs, Bubble Blower.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Tossing some brush ideas.

Excali-brush
Damage: 32 splash, 25 roll
Range: 45
Ink Speed: 65
Handling: 65
Sub: Point Sensor
Special: Ink Storm
Special Pt: 200
A slow but long ranged brush. A weapon made more for area control rather than being a fast killing weapon. Being a more annoying weapon like the Clash Blaster.

Excali-brush D
Sub: Splash Wall
Special: Ink Armor
Special Pt: 200

Chiaroscuro Brush
Damage: 55 splash, 45 roll
Range: 5
Ink Speed: 80
Handling: 70
Sub: Curling Bomb
Special: Burst-Bomb Launcher
Special Pt: 180
The assination Brush. Same range as the Inkbrush with a swing speed similar to the Octobrush, but it is an extremely fast killer as it is a two hit kill.

Chiaroscuro Brush Nouveau
Sub: Toxic Mist
Special: Splashdown
Special Pt: 180

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Kinda of got bored and was feeling a bit inspired about possibilities of new weapon types (or sub types).

Buffers (like for wax)

This weapon would be a sub category for Rollers.

A grounded attack would see them swiping the buffer from right to left similar to a brush, unlike brushes they aren't rapid fire with a firing speed similar to normal Rollers. Ink spread for this weapon has better horizontal coverage than Rollers but ink tapers off faster at range. Just like Rollers and Brushes, holding the attack key lets you roll with it, their movement speed on average will be a bit faster than Rollers, they'll all be 2 roll kills like the Carbon Roller (except perhaps the heavy version).

Similar to Rollers, they can one shot with their flicks, however the kill hitbox is different, as apposed to Rollers which have a straight one shot hitbox while damage to the side is lesser, Buffers have a wider one hit kill sweep but damage decays much faster at range.

Air attacks perform a vertical flick, but unlike Rollers that fire a line of ink, Buffers fire shots identical to a Sloshing Machine except more powerful and maybe with a slightly bigger hitbox. These bullets are capable of one shotting even at their furthest range and do have splash damage just like the Sloshing Machine.

The main draw of Buffer weapons would be their vertical flick essentially being akin to a powered up Sloching Machine.

Was inspired by this fanart I saw a long time ago.
But just kind of thought of ways it could potentially actually work while still feeling right within Splatoon.

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
I was trying to think of something else to add here, and I just realised that the Curling Bomb could have just been an iron (like the thing use to straighten clothes).

Anyway, I was thinking a weapon class based on vacuum cleaners. Essentially, once you start holding right trigger, it releases a cable with a plug on the end, which anchors onto the ground beneath you. From there, you can roll around freely, quicker than swimming and even over enemy ink, but you're limited by how far the cable stretches. On the plus side, it's basically impossible to be stuck in enemy ink with forewarning.

If you're in the air or aren't on your own ink, the cable won't anchor and you won't get the speed boost, but the weapon will still roll. You need to stop rolling and start again in order to anchor it in this case.

While rolling, the weapon fires a fairly small square of ink in front of itself, dealing constant damage to anyone touching it. You can also roll over enemies directly, which isn't lethal by itself but synergises with the flung ink (if that sounds underpowered, remember that you're going faster than an inkling can swim). When rolling and facing a wall, the ink shoots upwards, allowing walls to be inked fairly well, but only at close range.

Once you release the trigger, the cable will detach from the ground and retract towards you. Your movement isn't inhibited during this time, but the cable stays visible while swimming. If you hold the trigger while retracting, the plug will anchor wherever it happens to be if possible; otherwise, it continues retracting. Swimming away from the anchor will delay its retraction, limiting its mobility over long stretches.

Essentially, it's a weapon designed for quick bursts of mobility in small areas. If you can catch an enemy by surprise, finishing them off is a cinch, but vigilant players can easily get out of your effective range and shut you down, much like the Spy in TF2.

I think the default Splatcuum would be comparable to the Inkbrush, but better at short-term combat and worse at inking and survivability. It'd work best for Splat Zones, where it can zip around the Zone like there's no tomorrow, and for sneaking past the enemy and suddenly driving them into hostile terrain.

Default kit would probably be Burst Bombs, for inking better in a pinch, and Tenta Missiles, for pushing the enemy out of position and making them less attentive.

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
What about a weapon that shoots little bubbles that bounce against walls and explode into tiny explosions a few seconds later?
Bubblegun.
Range of Splattershot.
Accuracy of Sploosh
Kills in 20 frames with indirect bubble explosions. 16 for direct hits (requires 3 to kill)
fire rate of .52
Curling Bomb and Bubble Blower.
Are you a wizard?

Daxxie

Senior Squid
NNID
Dax
Switch Friend Code
SW-3813-3439-7790
I was thinking of something based on finger painting but I couldn't think of anything to make it unique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom