Next Worldwide & FINAL Splatfest CALLIE VS MARIE!!!

Splatfest stage voting poll

• Arowana Mall

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Blackbelly Skatepark

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Saltspray Rig

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Urchin Underpass

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Walleye Warehouse

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Port Mackerel

• Kelp Dome

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Bluefin Depot

• Moray Towers

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Camp Triggerfish

• Flounder Heights

• Hammerhead Bridge

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Museum D'Alfonsino

• Mahi-Mahi Resort

• Piranha Pit

• Ancho-V Games

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Like I said previously, two alts to play both sides. Both 1400/A- and could barely make it to 1450 on either. =/

Marie seems to have a stronger team, who are prone to the 30 second team deathmatch charge at the start followed by the 1 minute "oh crap, ink it, ink it all" rush at the end. Oddly enough, encountered more Callie chargers and long rangers than Marie, who weren't always well; and more Marie rollers and brushes than Callie, who also weren't always that great. Weird~.

Despite my pathetic power level, I've actually had fun with this splatfest compared to the previous one. Still despise the lag though, especially when it gives my victims an extra life or I get ghost splatted. And I'm still a little miffed that none of the maps have any useful walls.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I'm realizing now that I kinda loose motivation for splatfests after the first day. Perhaps it's just because I get bored of the maps but honestly I just... can't stay interested. I honestly almost prefer the original game over splatfests, even now with the last one being here. Oh well, I suppose. Either way my friend got to Marie King and that's what matters- I don't really care for playing this splatfest much myself since I hardly use the snails to begin with.

I suppose I just kinda hope marie's team wins but I won't be brokenhearted if she loses.
On another note, It'd be great if Splatoon didn't let the nighttime stages go to waste. Mix them in with the normal maps or put them in on weekends. That'd be really fun.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think this is the first time ever in Splatoon since the first Global Testfire that I've lost this much and had a great time while at it. I feel like that new score system might have helped a lot, since I didn't see too many teams completely obliterating the competition. Also, surprisingly enough, everyone seemed pretty chill; I even got an enemy trying to start a squid party on the last seconds of a match as their team pretty much had already lost (too bad I could reach and join the party before my team splatted him/her :(). Also, the fact that we had 2 days to level up instead of one made it a calm and enjoyable experience instead of a desperate rush to reach the max rank. All in all, I, as a Marie King, hereby declare this splatfest as the best splatfest ever :ability_damage:

PS: I also got a triple splat with my Heavy Metal Splatling. Did I say I love that gun?

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
So I had one match without the music until the final minute, and it freaked me out! It was so eerie just hearing all the ink, explosions, and dying Inkling cries, I did not like it one bit!

Also managed to get to Champion pretty quickly on my Callie Alt, but I'm done now. I am super happy I actually had a lot of fun for this final Splatfest. It felt less stressful, I was paired with decent teams, very few blowouts on either side, it was fun. Am I still fine with Fests ending though? Yes. :p

Ansible

Community Ambassador
So I had one match without the music until the final minute, and it freaked me out! It was so eerie just hearing all the ink, explosions, and dying Inkling cries, I did not like it one bit!
Glad to know I'm not the only it happened to. Not only a tad creepy but felt less lighthearted whenever you hear someone get splatted, guns firing, and explosions going off everywhere. It suddenly became a "serious" shooter.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Glad to know I'm not the only it happened to. Not only a tad creepy but felt less lighthearted whenever you hear someone get splatted, guns firing, and explosions going off everywhere. It suddenly became a "serious" shooter.
It was the definition of spooky. Once the final minute music started, it went from bleak, to fleek jolly once more.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
So I fired up the game yesterday morning to push for Callie royalty and I quickly began to notice an interesting trend:

I play great: We lose
I play OK: We lose
I play terrible: We lose

Now I’m usually fairly salt resistant, but I gotta admit going from 1700->1520 (almost directly) rubbed me the wrong way. I honestly remember thinking at the time:

“God I’m glad I have to go to work, Splatoon sucks.”

*Cringes and tiptoes off of SquidBoards before the rotten vegetables start to fly*

Any happier reports Callie supporters?

Bloop

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2151-0062-7941
shoutouts to Lex, HylianLink, and ★Martin★, you guys were the best teammates i've ever had in a Splatfest.

this splatfest was surprisingly good to me compared to the last 4 splatfests. i was playing pretty well, minimal dcs (except for the one callie team that lost 2 teammates, sorry guys), most teammates managed to stay alive and secure the area, not to mention one of my favorite vgms playing throughout the battles, not bad not bad. i ended the day with 1723.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
*Cringes and tiptoes off of SquidBoards before the rotten vegetables start to fly*
Don't worry, we've all had really nasty Splatfest experiences at one point or another. It wouldn't be Splatfest if half of us here did not complain about being super salty and frustrated with the game.

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
The song reminded me of the trailer for the very first splatfest. Man, were those glorious days ;)

"Nothing ends that isn't something else starting." I cant help but wonder if the final pages of the final issue of The Invisibles wasn't an inspiration for Splatfest. Bubbles rising from the ground. Large crowds of people dancing. Cool looking but ultimately silly clothing choices....

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
shoutouts to Lex, HylianLink, and ★Martin★, you guys were the best teammates i've ever had in a Splatfest.

this splatfest was surprisingly good to me compared to the last 4 splatfests. i was playing pretty well, minimal dcs (except for the one callie team that lost 2 teammates, sorry guys), most teammates managed to stay alive and secure the area, not to mention one of my favorite vgms playing throughout the battles, not bad not bad. i ended the day with 1723.
Along those lines shouts to Connor and Caleb Roy. I had a few games with each of them and we complimented each other's play really well. Both those guys were rollers. It was very cool to feel like someone had my back (and I hope the feeling was mutual) in a game with so little communication options. Its the only time I've gotten that feeling from a video game. We were going 10-1 (or there abouts) each and winning handily (think 60-30 at the lowest) sometimes we were able to hold off an entire team at spawn point for about the final 20 seconds. Good times.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Final "Final Splatfest" report: Finally made it to King.

True, there were some bright spots where the teams I had either utterly dominated the other team (especially the last match) or managed a clutch victory at the last second.

The other times...
Okay, I won't say I was feeling salty. Instead, I'd rather claim I was feeling like pure sodium and pure chloride. When I got on a really long losing streak I was starting to act like an animal. I almost broke my GamePad again, and that wasn't counting the times I began to eat myself or scream like a berserker. Honestly, if it weren't for that last win I'd probably leave myself with a bigger head injury at best.

At any rate, once this is all over I'm going to claim my snails and then take a good long break from Sploon, though I'll still lurk around Squidboards and Reddit among other places.

16 Marie the Snark Queen, I Have Done My Duty the Best I Can, the Rest is Up to You.jpg

Once again, since I still haven't gotten back into Ranked my initial SP was still 1200. It's not an impressive leap compared to the others, but it's still a net profit.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I felt it was necessary to play at least a few matches with the updated soundtrack, and I do love it; I thought that it was some of the best boss battle music I've heard in a while and was stoked the first time playing against Octavio. It really cranked up the intensity of the matches, but I wish it didn't default to the 1-minute-left music, as it killed the vibe something fierce. In the end I only played two matches - won both of them, despite the triple Krakens and one bubble support on Kelp Dome, and still wound up as frustrated as ever. I just called it a day at that, and as nice as the sea snails are, I won't miss Splatfests one bit. My mind and body can't handle these anymore.

Some final thoughts (and predictions):

- With the complete lack of access to sea snails in the future, and with the quickly dwindling playerbase, I think the developers might provide a single-player method of receiving them. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say a hard mode version of the bosses to award one snail each?

- We'll no longer have access to the Splatfest Tees if there's no Splatfests, so maybe they'll give it to everyone after achieving level 10 - just pick it up from Judd. If this happens I'd likely just retain its default skin, but it'd be neat if we could choose its appearance from a list of Splatfests we've participated in. (I doubt they'd spend the time coding this, however)

- It'd be neat to have the stages in night mode as a toggle option

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
I wonder how hard it'd be to code day and night into players' respective time zones.....so if its night where u are u play at night. Prolly an idea for Spla2n but would still be sick...

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Damn! Just hanging about in my plaza, and it's now hitting me how much I'm going to miss at least the atmosphere of a splatfest.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
shoutouts to [...] HylianLink
Whoa! They were on my team once, too!... They disconnected at the start of the game. My own shoutout would probably go to Sketch for having really stylish yet functional gear and a cool name, and for improbably running into me time after time - I saw them with at least four different weapons, including once after my eight-hour break.

So yeah, I played a little more after reaching royalty and after a break of several hours. Got my Charger alt to Fiend - won, lost, won for Team Marie. Nothing particular to mention. Then got my S alt to Fiend with the Rapid Blaster Deco - lost, lost, lost, lost, lost for Team Callie. I assure that I was not trying to sabotage her and I played my best but everything kept going wrong, both with myself and my teammates. Exactly the same as last time I played a Splatfest on that alt, in fact... .

Last thing, I went back to my main and decided to play with the Tri-Slosher and my classic gear (other than shirt) until I won a fair game (not 4v3 in our favour) against Callie (not a mirror). This took longer than it should have and connections were funky at times, but I was pleased with how I played in most of those games, including the last one on Kelp which was very closely-contested and enjoyable.

I also meandered around the Plaza and took in all of the Splatfest-specific features one last time. Dancing Judd and nodding Spyke and Capt. Cuttlefish are standard, but I also noticed for the first time that the fireworks were Miiverse posts... was it always like that? I made sure to read for one last time what Jelonzo told me when I bought a shirt from him when I couldn't change clothes (using my Charger alt, which doesn't have much gear so was able to buy something). Also, on my S alt, I discovered what it's like to go into Inkopolis Tower without having voted: the option to play is greyed out (although Private Battles are still allowed) and, I think, the squid LEDs in the background are monochromatic.

I had a stint in the training area and enjoyed the changing volume of the muffled music based on the distance from the north-east corner, and noticed for the first time that the training dummies grow and shrink and glow very subtly to the beat of the music - definitely unique to 'fests. I closely observed the radius of the glow from my Inkling, which I think is only visible at night (i.e. during a Splatfest).

Finally, I did something that I once tried a few Splatfests ago - with some difficulty, I set up my Gamepad so that it zoomed in, hands-free, on Marie's dancing in the Plaza aaand I stepped back and danced along. Was the only person in the room, so although I looked like an absolute idiot, it was fun.

G'night, Splatfests. Let's see what the future brings!

Last edited:

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
I just got off my alt which is on Team Marie and I can safely say that Team Callie HAS NO CHANCE OF WINNING. I had a much easier team winning battles on my alt than I did on my main which is on Team Callie. On top of that, I ran into a few mirror matches which already means that Marie has the popularity side down. Unless the Japanese Splatoon Overlords can sway the results, I don't see Callie winning this.

On the bright side, Callie wins overall since her teams have won more Splatfests. So even if Marie wins this battle, Callie wins the Splatfest war. XP

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I wonder how hard it'd be to code day and night into players' respective time zones.....so if its night where u are u play at night. Prolly an idea for Spla2n but would still be sick...
It likely wouldn't be too difficult; you'd just need to make a simple structure that checks your system's current time and put it to night if it's between 6pm and 6am, and the same for daytime from 6am to 6pm. I'd worry that people would avoid playing at certain times of day because they think the dark colouration makes it harder to spot opponents or something.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
It likely wouldn't be too difficult; you'd just need to make a simple structure that checks your system's current time and put it to night if it's between 6pm and 6am, and the same for daytime from 6am to 6pm. I'd worry that people would avoid playing at certain times of day because they think the dark colouration makes it harder to spot opponents or something.
I feel more players will play / be happy for nighttime stage additions. It'll probably cancel out the people that don't play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom