• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Nintendo now considers Splatoon a major franchise.

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
It's pretty darn cool to see these squiddos amongst the Nintendo family like this. :D

Who would've thought a new IP on a genre they hadn't really touched before and on an ailing console to boot would do so solidly? The game has sold around 2.5 million copies by now. Definitely broke my expectations, and I'm glad it did.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
It's pretty darn cool to see these squiddos amongst the Nintendo family like this. :D

Who would've thought a new IP on a genre they hadn't really touched before and on an ailing console to boot would do so solidly? The game has sold around 2.5 million copies by now. Definitely broke my expectations, and I'm glad it did.
Oh yeah did I mention Splatoon sold around 910000 copies in Japan. That is INSANE especially for a Wii U title.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
This makes me happy. Splatoon is one of the most creative and unique games I've played in a long time and is among my favorite games of all time. It's really nice to see it being included alongside their other major franchise characters like that.

Also hoping this means Splatwoon is coming at some point. :P

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
That new artwork of Link has me intrigued. He's doing a pose from the artwork of Twilight Princess, but it looks like a different, more brighter art style. Could we be getting a glimpse of how Twilight Princess HD looks?

Regardless, this makes me super happy to see that Nintendo is proud of what Splatoon has become. As they should be, it's rare that we get a new IP that is as immediately memorable and fun like Splatoon.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
That new artwork of Link has me intrigued. He's doing a pose from the artwork of Twilight Princess, but it looks like a different, more brighter art style. Could we be getting a glimpse of how Twilight Princess HD looks?

Regardless, this makes me super happy to see that Nintendo is proud of what Splatoon has become. As they should be, it's rare that we get a new IP that is as immediately memorable and fun like Splatoon.
Yeah a lot of people have been speculating over that newest Link model and thinking it might have to do something with Twilight Princess HD.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Yeah a lot of people have been speculating over that newest Link model and thinking it might have to do something with Twilight Princess HD.
Now that you mention it, I remember that artwork was shown off a little while ago. Back then, most people just wrote it off as a new "look" for Link in promotional material. Now that we know about Twilight Princess HD, that may be a subtle teaser. I would love for Twilight Princess HD to look like that, if this is an indication of what it looks like.

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
That just warmed up my heart seeing this. uvu) ♥
G00d ol' Nintendo Family~
But wow that turned into a major franchise pretty quickly. Just a few months! oAo;

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Funny how Splatoon's a much more successful new IP this year compared to another new Nintendo IP released this year that didn't do all that well (Codename S.T.E.A.M.). I'm not complaining, though. I'm glad Splatoon's now become one of the company's major franchises due to how well it's selling. :)

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Funny how Splatoon's a much more successful new IP this year compared to another new Nintendo IP released this year that didn't do all that well (Codename S.T.E.A.M.). I'm not complaining, though. I'm glad Splatoon's now become one of the company's major franchises due to how well it's selling. :)
Squids are more popular than American Presidents :V

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
That's nice to see. The fact the Splatoon Universe secured it's place in the world of Nintendo means we may see a long time life span of the Inklings and Octolings. It would be interesting to see Easter Eggs in future Nintendo titles of the Inklings, or maybe even the Octolings. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but we cannot really deny that possibility.

Psycho_Wendigo

Resident World Devourer
NNID
PyschoWendigo
Yeah, I highly doubt American presidents would be all that popular anyway. It'll be weird if they were, though.
Didn't help it was an X Com knock off either

Anyway back on topic. Guess this means sequels and spinoffs are pretty much guaranteed, I hope this encourages Nintendo to take more risks in the future instead of only playing it safe.

Also Ninty, this happened because you let some younger people take the reins, as much as I love Miyamoto, don't be afraid to look elsewhere in your company for talent

MrMFC

Inkling
NNID
ilFurkan
It's been a long time since Nintendo got a new franchise and that's what they need currently; more big franchises (many people got bored of mario, not me though) with different gameplay and new innovations. Not saying they should leave their master pieces though :D

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Anyway back on topic. Guess this means sequels and spinoffs are pretty much guaranteed, I hope this encourages Nintendo to take more risks in the future instead of only playing it safe.

Also Ninty, this happened because you let some younger people take the reins, as much as I love Miyamoto, don't be afraid to look elsewhere in your company for talent
Hopefully this is a sign that Nintendo's actually gonna take risks when it comes to making new IP's instead of relying on their old ones all the time. I'm happy that they actually let much younger people make a new IP instead of relying on Miyamoto all the time. I mean, the guy's past his prime now and he can't stay with the company forever. Hire some young people in order to start some new things for Nintendo instead of living in the past. You'll still be relevant that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom