• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octo Canyon (Splatoon 2 Story Mode)

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
My guess is that most Inklings have never
seen an Octoling before so they have no idea she isn't one of them. After all, the Great Turf War was 100 years ago, and Inkling society as a whole seems to have paid little attention to either time the Great Zapfish was stolen. A lot of them might not even realize it was stolen. As for Marina herself, I would hazard a guess that she's different from the rest of Octarian society in that she wants to co-exist with the Inklings, and that the rest are content to follow DJ Octavio's lead.
The Great Turf War is probably at least touched upon in school, so idk

I think I do remember seeing that they don't care what species someone is, as long as they're fresh.
So yeah

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
So I also beat single player mode and I gotta say, although I really loved Splatoon 1's single player mode, I enjoyed Splatoon 2's so much more. A lot is very similar, but I feel like they just improved on everything that was already great. HOWEVER, after beating the final boss and collecting all the Sunken Scrolls, there's one big question that remains unanswered...

Who is Marina!? How did she meet Pearl? How did she come to Inkopolis? Why are Inklings okay with an Octoling pop star in their world? Aren't Octarians their enemies? And if Marina can just come to Inkopolis like it's whatever, what's stopping other Octarians if life underground is so awful?? Having an Octoling pop star is kind of a big deal and I really hoped they would elaborate on that.
Not only that, but...

Who is Mr. Grizz, really? Who or what is speaking through that bear statue? Judd and his smaller counterpart are the only mammals around as it is. And how shady is Grizzco? No sunken scrolls about any of that.

D

Deleted Member

Not only that, but...

Who is Mr. Grizz, really? Who or what is speaking through that bear statue? Judd and his smaller counterpart are the only mammals around as it is. And how shady is Grizzco? No sunken scrolls about any of that.
Seriously, that's the question that bugs me the most. While everyone has been worrying about the pop stars, no one seems concerned about the fact that we're doing this shady job with seemingly no explanation about why we're doing this or who Grizz really is. Sure, it could be as simple as we're just hunting salmon for a bear's next meal, but then why make this so shady?!

Anyways, bringing this back on topic with the story, the hardest part of every world was just trying to FIND these stages!

Forgotten Lands

Inkling
NNID
MrSaturn012
Switch Friend Code
SW-4386-3007-1327
ooh idea aboot Octarians n' such

What if Octarians (such as Marina) are full members of society, since the Great Turf War was over 100 years ago, and DJ Octavio and the other enemies in the single player mode are crazy revolutionaries, like "the south will rise again" kind of stuff. Everyone else can and has forgotten and forgiven whatever the war was about except for this cult of octarians

Last edited:

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
ooh idea aboot Octarians n' such

What if Octarians (such as Marina) are full members of society, since the Great Turf War was over 100 years ago, and DJ Octavio and the other enemies in the single player mode are crazy revolutionaries, like "the south will rise again" kind of stuff. Everyone else can and has forgotten and forgiven whatever the war was about except for this cult of octarians
Yeah, I've had the same thought too
One of the earlier sunken scrolls seems to paint the final battle in the first game as a concert. Meanwhile the final battle in this game is in front of a live audience. (Pretty neat how everyone has purple/pink glow sticks at first but then pull out green ones when Marie shows up. Also, we now know how the Splatfest trucks get in and out of Inkopolis Plaza! lol). I'm guessing DJ Octavio is a dj publicly but a post-war insurgent privately? In fact it's implied the secret war between DJ Octavio and the New Squidbeak Platoon is occurring outside of the knowledge of any species' general public. Don't recall much in-game but I have seen official tumblr and twitter post imply there is trade between the Inklings and Octarians with the new spawn pads being one example. And in the Grizzco job manual they mention the Octarians have traded with the Salmonids. Hopefully they'll give us something more as time goes on.

Eshuan

Inkster Jr.
NNID
MrEshan
Switch Friend Code
SW-7366-9633-2213
beating everything with every weapon is really fun! ive done everything up to the splatling. But some levels arent fun to replay like please mind the gap and intersection to the soul.

mvsdkrocks

Inkster Jr.
I think going back and beating every level with every weapon type was pretty fun! It's nice to try and go faster and faster with each run through.
There is only one exception to this though...

The shower boss in sector 4 with the Hero Roller... WHY!?
The only way you will ever win this fight is if luck is on your side and he decides to move near the grind rails for you to hit him. This boss clearly was not designed for anything that isn't a splat charger. It took me no joke almost 10 minutes to beat this guy with the roller, every other weapon took only around 5-6 minutes. Even the final boss is easier!

Other than that I's say it was really fun to get 1000% completion in Octo Canyon and show off to my friends XD

Ansible

Community Ambassador
After hearing the salt of completing the Octo Shower boss with the other weapons, I gave it a try myself.

Was so annoying tedious and time wasting! Then in a moment of ingenuity I figured out you can jump on his head then wail on the octocopters from there!

Glad I completed that annoying nonsense with every weapon on that stage now so I don't have to ever return to it!

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Speaking of which, has anyone figured out how to use the Rolonium in that fight? Sheldon suggests you shoot the Rolonium upward at the boss, but I can't figure out any way of getting a useful angle out of it. I hit the Octoshower in the face at best.

mvsdkrocks

Inkster Jr.
Speaking of which, has anyone figured out how to use the Rolonium in that fight? Sheldon suggests you shoot the Rolonium upward at the boss, but I can't figure out any way of getting a useful angle out of it. I hit the Octoshower in the face at best.
I know right! I only got it to work once and I had to be right next to the rolonium with the camera as far up as it could go and even then I only managed to hit one of the guys carrying the Shower. Its hard.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Sometimes I just hit the boss in the face enough times to encourage it to move near a grind rail. Hop on grind rail. Then hop on boss.

If you actually want to hit the octocopters with it, then you need to get close enough to the rolonium to kiss it. Get your closer, colored targeting reticle onto it while angling your grey reticle upwards at the octocopters. This works best when the boss is stationed near the rolonium platform as it travels a short distance in an arc. After a few tries it should become easier to fimd the sweet spot and properly aim.

Don't worry too much about taking damage because the rolonium can serve as cover and the rockets are easy to swat.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I only had a hard time beating the Octo-Shower using the hero brella. I think the hero roller is my fastest time...
(and that was before I realized how you aim those rollinium bundles to fly upwards xP)

AwesomeCookie

Pro Squid
Apartment In Inkopolis With His 3 Friends
Switch Friend Code
SW-7071-8973-2321
Hey guys! Did you know that Marina was (I think) inspired by the Squid Sisters to become a singer and news person? In one of the sunken scrolls in the game, it shows a picture depicting with Octavio fighting with Agent 3, along with the Squid Sisters singing with Octavio's beats. The description under the scroll says something like "anyone who caught wist of this event had their lives changed forever" and if you look at the audience, you can actually see Marina, just getting her mind blown at this event.

Tadashi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dragoon29
I still can't believe THIS:

Was mutated into THIS:

And then there's Callie herself, who went from this:

To THIS:

Stealing the Great Zapfish is one thing, but brainwashing Callie? You've gone too far this time, DJ Octavio!

Last edited:

the

Inkling Commander
I still can't believe THIS:

Was mutated into THIS:

Stealing the Great Zapfish is one thing, but brainwashing Callie? You've gone too far this time, DJ Octavio!
(After the final boss fight)
Callie: (crying)
Marie: Oh my god Callie are you okay?
Callie: Th....they...
Marie: What did they do to you?!
Callie: They.... They.....
Marie: WHAT DID THEY DO TO YOU?!
Callie: THEY SAMPLED MY VOICE FOR TECHNO MUSIC!!! (bursts into sobs)

Tinker

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-1436-2414-4908
Who else thought that using the Hero Brush against the Octo-samurai was fun? It's like one of those sword battles you see in movies...kinda.

Tadashi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dragoon29
(After the final boss fight)
Marie: Oh my god Callie are you okay?
Callie: Th....they...
Marie: What did they do to you?!
Callie: They.... They.....
Marie: WHAT DID THEY DO TO YOU?!
Callie: THEY SAMPLED MY VOICE FOR TECHNO MUSIC!!! (bursts into sobs)
Nah, I think it should be more like this:

Marie: Oh my god, Callie, are you okay?
Callie: H...he...
Marie: What did he do to you?
Callie: He... he...
Marie: WHAT DID HE DO TO YOU?!
Callie: HE FORCED ME TO BE HIS BACKUP SINGER!!!!! (bursts into sobs)

Last edited:

Tadashi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dragoon29
Also, the ending is basically a repeat of the first game. The Inklings remain blissfully unaware that the Octarians have returned (which is especially egregious since Marina is an Octoling), and so Agent 4 ends up being an unsung hero like Agent 3. And to make matters worse, apparently Nintendo decided to make Callie dumb enough to put the hypnoshades back on, knowing that DJ Octavio used them to control her. And it happens every single time you fight the final boss again. Seriously, why does nobody care about the events of the singleplayer mode besides Marie and Sheldon? And don't even get me started on the Salmonids.

GearWax

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
KoopaTroopaBloop
Discuss all things about the story/single player mode in Splatoon 2.

I LOVE the new singleplayer. Vast improvement over the first game, the mechanics are better, the fact that you can use 9 weapons is awesome (even if it does lock you into one the first time through), and the bosses are better. There are only 3 things that I don't like.
1. Beating every stage with every weapon is an inhuman task to get all the hero mode weapons. I did it, so I show off that I did every time I go into turf wars with one of the vanilla weapon.
2. Why are double tickets exclusive to singleplayer??? Seriously. Let me get them outside singleplayer.
3. I was really disappointed by the final boss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom