• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octo Canyon (Splatoon 2 Story Mode)

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Discuss all things about the story/single player mode in Splatoon 2.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
So, I want to say first...story wise- Does anyone think that there's a chance that the new singers of Inkopolis Square may have some hint of relivance to the games story? Because I think there's a chance. They arn't to be agents I'm sure (Your agent 4, so no new numbers beforehand) but one of the being a friendly Octoling strikes me as being rather interested in her backstory...

When and how did she get to Inkopolis square from Octo valley? Who trusted her in? Many questions. I don't think we can ignore it too much.

Coleo&Idea

Inkling Cadet
Oh I really hope TentaCool (Off the hook) gets involved into the story! I'm already fantasizing about a story revealing that Callie wants the octarians to stop fighting, they still have a hard core who wants to bow down all inklings. Pearl and Marina show up and tell how they met each other and how they are living in peace with the inklings and having fun with their music.

Another head canon is that Pearl is half octoling and Marina is her half sister.

Joasa

Depressed Squid
I'm still theorizing that Pearl is related to the Squid Sisters, more likely Marie, possibly her little sister or something.

I read a theory about them being evil, but it's pretty unlikely. (Names are Pearl and Marina, Marina is synonymous with harbor, Pearl Harbor, their goal is to get rid of the Squid Sisters so they can be stars... yeah idk but it would be interesting)

Another cool but very very unlikely thing would be them becoming Agent 5 and 6, and being AI powered alles to do certain levels.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Another cool but very very unlikely thing would be them becoming Agent 5 and 6, and being AI powered alles to do certain levels
I actually had thought of this possibility too. With the AI supposedly being better, it would make for some interesting levels to have them assisting you in. They could have Agent 3 come back as an AI and do the same too, respectively.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
Now that I think about it, and after reading that bit about Pearl possibly being related to Marie...

Marie did win the last Splatfest, no?

What if they used that to essentially decide which one of them would have their little sister in the next game. Can't recall when that happened, but they may have had enough time to design/model/write for her?

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Now that I think about it, and after reading that bit about Pearl possibly being related to Marie...

Marie did win the last Splatfest, no?

What if they used that to essentially decide which one of them would have their little sister in the next game. Can't recall when that happened, but they may have had enough time to design/model/write for her?
It's very likely what happened. A clever deciding trick, too.

Anyway, I want to quote this from the Splatoon JP Twitter. It comes from this tweet. Read this....

""No, "pop" is not defeated either.
Many people will be healed and encouraged by sweet melodies, harmonious harmony, lyrics stretching through their hearts.
By the way, Isida is a big fans of the Shio Collazes, and has been influenced to change life.
After all it seems "pop" ....""

Can someone tell me who this Shio Collazes is? Is that Squid Sisters name in Japan? Because Hmmmm.

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie
As for this new DJ duo having a part in the new story...I am sure they will, but I think Nintendo is smarter than rehashing the squid sisters scenario. Expect something quite different from Pearl and Marina. I am really looking forward to starting fresh (sorry...had to) with this game as I barely touched the first (I regret that heavily now) and learning motion controls by playing the campaign first before stepping into an arena. I have a personal goal of clearing every level 100% with every weapon. That is pretty much what I am looking forward to most as far as the story mode goes.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
By the way, Isida is a big fans of the Shio Collazes, and has been influenced to change life."
[...]
Can someone tell me who this Shio Collazes is? Is that Squid Sisters name in Japan? Because Hmmmm.
A better translation would be, "By the way, I [Marina/Iida] am a big fan of Sea O' Colors [the Squid Sisters], and their influence changed my life."

Essentially, the Squid Sisters are why Marina's Team Pop.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
A better translation would be, "By the way, I [Marina/Iida] am a big fan of Sea O' Colors [the Squid Sisters], and their influence changed my life."

Essentially, the Squid Sisters are why Marina's Team Pop.
Ah I thought so, thanks for the clarification. The way its said though...makes me think she abandoned octo valley due to her inspiration from the squid sisters. Certainly would make some sense, wouldnt it?

I feel like her being a friendly octoling in general is going to have some interesting story behind it that may or may not tie in with the story of Hero Mode.

InkQueen

Inkling
I absolutely loved the story mode from beginning to end. Just finished it and I must say it was alot of fun and not too easy.

Edit:
After you beat the final boss and battle him again, the dialogue changed and that funny as hell

Last edited:

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Alright, I've beaten the game and got all the scrolls, so I feel now's a good time to leave my thoughts on it.

First, I gotta start with the hub world. Octo Canyon is a lot more atmospheric than Octo Valley by far. The visible change in daylight coupled with the increase in Octarian technology from area to area really highlight the progression made through the campaign. Far from being a random assortment of levels, you really get the sense that you're pushing deep into their homeworld, slowly getting closer to your goal of getting the Great Zapfish (and Callie) back. So full marks there.

The regular Octarian forces are no more resilient than before; hell, the fact that you can tear down their armor (if you're content with pelting them with enough ink) almost makes them a bit weaker. Nevertheless, I get the feeling they're more aggressive, and even a bit smarter, in this game. For one, the "distracting bomb" technique doesn't work as well in this game; if you're in cover, they don't focus on it for as long, and if you aren't then they won't even bother to look at it. The new triple-shot variant of Octotrooper also makes things more hectic a bit, since you've be having to dodge more stuff at a given moment than you would in Splatoon 1. The Flooders are also affected, as they notice/chase after you far more often, for reasons I can't quite understand yet. And then there are the Octoballers, which proved to me more annoying than anything. Tough to dodge, tougher to kill, and with the nasty habit of stripping away an entire layer of armor at once—and if you have no armor, the speed penalty incurred by losing your outfit will likely result in you being crushed by the next one to roll by. All this makes perfect sense to me, from an in-game perspective anyway. After all, consider that two years prior, some random kid managed to come by and mop the floor with them. Like Hell they'd let it happen a second time.

The Octolings, sadly, don't seem to have been blessed with the same improvements. Plus they have Super Jump markers now, so you can cheese them in much the same way as in the main game. But this time around they make up for their limited intelligence with sheer numbers, so if you're not careful you might get overwhelmed. And they know how to do a Super Jump roller strike, which is cool (if unexpected the first time around). Also, for whatever reason the Elites have unique death clips separate from the regular grunts.

Some of the things they have you do to find the Sunken Scrolls are a bit insane. Off the top of my head, there are... what the hell are those levels called... the one that introduces the Hero Brella, and Level 25. In both of them you end up having to—

—shoot a small switch to open up a way to reach the scroll, and in both cases they made me pull my hair out.

For the former, the level's first gimmick is that you have to take two different launch pads to find two different keys; one pad takes you to an area involving manipulating Flooders on propeller lifts, the other being an invisible path with only a few enemies. You get both keys and come back to the first area, where you unlock a propeller lift that you use to take you to a higher platform with a vault guarding a launch pad. The Sctoll is just underneath this last platform on a small ledge, and seeing as you made use of a fan to get up to the other vault, surely there must be an invisible bridge somewhere near there? Nope: you instead get up to the vault's platform, turn around and snipe a switch on the lip of the previous platform, which causes the ledge to extend behind the last platform. Kinda obtuse if you ask me.

The latter is more marvelous in comparison. You go through the whole level wondering where the Scroll (box) is, and you find neither.Once again, there's a small switch that needs inking, except this time it's on the very last platform in the level, the one with the Zapfish on it. I have doubts you'd even see it unless you hop over to the other side of the rotating platform you ride to get there. But it's made up for by what follows: the switch causes a launch pad to appear atop said rotating platform, which takes you to a lone flat platform out far away from the rest of the level, populated solely by the only other Octostamp DX in the game. On its back is another pad that launches you to another one platform nearby, this one having a giant stack of orange boxes. You get to shoot them as you land, and the Scroll is in the very last one. It's amazing.

Now these Scrolls aren't the only tricky things in the game. I'd say pretty much all of world 5 (and parts of 4) have some pretty crazy moments in them. Swimming along diagonal walls and grind rails, dodging multiple stacks of Octoballers, whatever the **** that level with the twitchy pillars was, it was all quite brilliant. And tough. It's a shame that the new setpieces don't get much screentime.

I'll admit, I'm a little perturbed by the fact that the basic plot is largely the same shtick as Splatoon 1's. The news duo announces that the Great Zapfish is gone, now go get it young squid! And have a radio conversation after every boss battle too! ...granted, this is a multiplayer-centric Nintendo game, so expecting anything deeper was my own fault.

I'm surprised that Pearl and Marina don't get involved in the plot beyond announcing the news of the Great Zapfish's recapture + Callie's disappearance (and their respective returns). In hindsight, however, it makes the opening a nice little bait'n'switch, what with Marina suggesting a search party be formed and Pearl going all "Nope!" and leaving it at that for most of the rest of the game.

Oh, Callie, what they've done to thee... I went in expecting something like a Generic Dark Anime look, and instead I got Lita. Not sure if I'm a fan (yet). I am however a fan of that bit with Marie getting a sick headshot and knocking off those mind-control Octogoggles. I wasn't quite expecting that (although I'd hoped it would happen), but it was a neat touch for the fight.

Speaking of vanishing pop stars... it didn't occur to me until after about halfway through the mode, but is that Callie singing in the background of the levels? I figure it must be, but I can't tell for sure. Be real fitting if it was, tho...

That final battle with Octavio was a tad underwhelming compared to the first. One of the things that was cool about said first fight was how it was basically a recap of the entire campaign, mixing the onslaught of missiles with pretty much every major setpiece from the various levels. An arena fight just seems kinda tame in comparison. That beings said, Octavio's new tricks definitely help spice things up (case in point, the corkscrew punches that catch you off-guard if you don't read Sheldon's warnings [or read them wrong, like I did]). It also doesn't overwhelm you the way the first one did, mostly because there's less stuff to keep track. And the music is much more befitting a final boss battle than I Am Octavio was, even if I was expecting something more along the lines of the latter. (Funny how both times I was surprised for different reasons).

Lastly, I find it a shame that the Salmonids don't show up at all. I get that their mode is their mode, but all the same, it would've been neat to see how a third party would have affected the plot.

Jeez, I was not trying to write an entire review there. My bad.

Anyway, to sum up: great atmosphere, seemingly tougher enemies and secrets, serviceable (albeit it could've been better) plot. Overall, I'd say I enjoyed it.

One of the Sunken Scrolls is a letter from Captain Cuttlefish, saying that he and Agent 3 went off to "the cape." Tell me I'm not alone in wanting to see what they're up to later on down the road. I'd pay to see it—hell, I'd pay 20 bucks to see it.

speedySonic

Full Squid
I feel like what separates the bosses in Splatoon 1 and Splatoon 2 is gameplay versus presentation.

Octavio in Splatoon 1 was more of a final exam of sorts. The level took everything you learned throughout the story mode and threw it at you, making sure you earned the win. This also is good practice for the multiplayer modes, because if you can dodge everything at the same time (aka a Killer Wail with missiles and enemies, and you have to deflect his punches), you can dodge anything. This makes the level itself challenging yet fair. Splatoon 2, in comparison, was not nearly as crazy as the previous final boss. A few bomb rushes, a few obstacles, and a rush attack. Challenge was clearly not the main focus here. So Splatoon 1 wins gameplay-wise.

In terms of presentation, however? Splatoon 1's Octavio was cool, a boss who had good taste in music, combined with the reveal of the Squid Sisters and their song playing through the final act. It was fresh (pun intended), but compared to Splatoon 2, it was nothing. Callie is brainwashed, and has a new outfit (that's sick, by the way). Marie comes in later atop a truck driven by Sheldon with a charger, which is the first time (I think) we've seen an idol character attack! And then you get to kill Octavio with the RAINMAKER?! Combine this with the orchestral remixes of both of the Squid Sisters' singles AND a remix of Calamari Inkantation throughout the boss fight, and you've got yourself a masterpiece.

I may do a video recap of this on my channel later, but I just wanted to share my thoughts on the boss and how hype this thing was.

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
so, ordinarily, beating a level with a damaged/broken hero suit will leave your inkling in shorts and a tank top on the results screen (or what I assume is a sports bra (?) for females). However, there's a glitch where, occasionally...the "underclothing" will fail to load.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Full Squid
NNID
PKGaming
So I also beat single player mode and I gotta say, although I really loved Splatoon 1's single player mode, I enjoyed Splatoon 2's so much more. A lot is very similar, but I feel like they just improved on everything that was already great. HOWEVER, after beating the final boss and collecting all the Sunken Scrolls, there's one big question that remains unanswered...

Who is Marina!? How did she meet Pearl? How did she come to Inkopolis? Why are Inklings okay with an Octoling pop star in their world? Aren't Octarians their enemies? And if Marina can just come to Inkopolis like it's whatever, what's stopping other Octarians if life underground is so awful?? Having an Octoling pop star is kind of a big deal and I really hoped they would elaborate on that.

GamemasterTom

Full Squid
NNID
GM-Tom
I feel like what separates the bosses in Splatoon 1 and Splatoon 2 is gameplay versus presentation.

Octavio in Splatoon 1 was more of a final exam of sorts. The level took everything you learned throughout the story mode and threw it at you, making sure you earned the win. This also is good practice for the multiplayer modes, because if you can dodge everything at the same time (aka a Killer Wail with missiles and enemies, and you have to deflect his punches), you can dodge anything. This makes the level itself challenging yet fair. Splatoon 2, in comparison, was not nearly as crazy as the previous final boss. A few bomb rushes, a few obstacles, and a rush attack. Challenge was clearly not the main focus here. So Splatoon 1 wins gameplay-wise.

In terms of presentation, however? Splatoon 1's Octavio was cool, a boss who had good taste in music, combined with the reveal of the Squid Sisters and their song playing through the final act. It was fresh (pun intended), but compared to Splatoon 2, it was nothing. Callie is brainwashed, and has a new outfit (that's sick, by the way). Marie comes in later atop a truck driven by Sheldon with a charger, which is the first time (I think) we've seen an idol character attack! And then you get to kill Octavio with the RAINMAKER?! Combine this with the orchestral remixes of both of the Squid Sisters' singles AND a remix of Calamari Inkantation throughout the boss fight, and you've got yourself a masterpiece.

I may do a video recap of this on my channel later, but I just wanted to share my thoughts on the boss and how hype this thing was.
I agree, in the end, both final battles are awesome in their own ways. I can see why people like the original better, but for me, both battles are amazing. If i had to choose, probably Splatoon 2 wins, mostly because of the music, is incredibly fitting in every single moment.

IceIceSquiddy

Inkling
So I also beat single player mode and I gotta say, although I really loved Splatoon 1's single player mode, I enjoyed Splatoon 2's so much more. A lot is very similar, but I feel like they just improved on everything that was already great. HOWEVER, after beating the final boss and collecting all the Sunken Scrolls, there's one big question that remains unanswered...

Who is Marina!? How did she meet Pearl? How did she come to Inkopolis? Why are Inklings okay with an Octoling pop star in their world? Aren't Octarians their enemies? And if Marina can just come to Inkopolis like it's whatever, what's stopping other Octarians if life underground is so awful?? Having an Octoling pop star is kind of a big deal and I really hoped they would elaborate on that.
My guess is that most Inklings have never
seen an Octoling before so they have no idea she isn't one of them. After all, the Great Turf War was 100 years ago, and Inkling society as a whole seems to have paid little attention to either time the Great Zapfish was stolen. A lot of them might not even realize it was stolen. As for Marina herself, I would hazard a guess that she's different from the rest of Octarian society in that she wants to co-exist with the Inklings, and that the rest are content to follow DJ Octavio's lead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom