• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Octo Canyon (Splatoon 2 Story Mode)

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I LOVE the new singleplayer. Vast improvement over the first game, the mechanics are better, the fact that you can use 9 weapons is awesome (even if it does lock you into one the first time through), and the bosses are better. There are only 3 things that I don't like.
1. Beating every stage with every weapon is an inhuman task to get all the hero mode weapons. I did it, so I show off that I did every time I go into turf wars with one of the vanilla weapon.
2. Why are double tickets exclusive to singleplayer??? Seriously. Let me get them outside singleplayer.
3. I was really disappointed by the final boss.
1. Yeah, I find it crazy if only for a single level that's a pain to go through with certain weapons. Platform Madhouse's name is way too apt. If it were any tamer, though, I'd call it a cakewalk.
2. You meant 1.5x tickets? As far as I know, you only get one XP x2 ticket for beating Hero Mode. All the others you have to get through Salmon Run. (And you still might get 1.5x tickets anyway.)
3. Same, if only because it wasn't a super-fest of platforming challenges like the original's Hero Mode finale was. Callie just being there for the background didn't help much either.

basiclly a giant octopus that looks small steals a fish with magical POWERS PEW PEW !!1!1! and a squid that turns into a human has to go save it getting SMALLER FISH from all the diffrent ways the octopus try to stop you and you thought octopuss and squids would be friends your wrong...... oh yeah theres marina

McSquid82

Senior Squid
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Ewel
Switch Friend Code
SW-7398-4915-8969
I've been playing Octo Canyon for a while now, and I've been wondering something. Why are the Octarians as dumb as mud? Does DJ Octavio not want them to get too smart? Or could it be he tried using Octolings more extensively at first and some of them became uncontrollable without Hypno Shades? Because it seems the only things normal Octarians know how to do are shoot Inklings on sight.

Laz-o-matic

Inkling
NNID
Pokegirl611
Switch Friend Code
SW-3007-5074-1633
I've been playing Octo Canyon for a while now, and I've been wondering something. Why are the Octarians as dumb as mud? Does DJ Octavio not want them to get too smart? Or could it be he tried using Octolings more extensively at first and some of them became uncontrollable without Hypno Shades? Because it seems the only things normal Octarians know how to do are shoot Inklings on sight.
I have this theory that Octarian society is extremely militaristic with all of their children enrolled at a young age in training programs for serving the army. We know they have formal schooling like this, as it's mentioned that Marina has skipped grades in these programs. They may force all of their youth (or perhaps just the girls) to enroll in the army upon reaching adolescence (they may also become engineers and the like, like Marina was). Octarian society is probably filled with anti-inkling propaganda using their loss in the Great Turf War as fuel for their youth to want to enlist and kill inklings (the manga has enemy octolings with spoken dialogue implying that they were taught about inklings and the war). I don't think they're necessarily stupid as opposed to just not being taught about inklings' battle habits the right way.

Then the Calamari Inkantation happened. The octolings close enough in proximity to the fight were affected in a way that undid years of being raised to hate inklings and want to fight them. Perhaps seeing their dictator (as Octavio probably is) defeated gave them realizations about their own society and how repressive it is. My other theory is that they're somehow hypnotized/brainwashed at a certain age to become loyal soldiers to Octavio and the Inkantation has mystical properties (I believe there's a sunken scroll that states that it's an old, old song that definitely has some mystical **** to it) that somehow undid that.

The enemy octolings in Splatoon 2 are wearing headgear that's different from what they wore in the first game, which looks more like sunglasses than pressurized eye armor. In the final boss fight, Callie has been brainwashed by a pair of sunglasses (the hypno shades), which look pretty similar to the ones the octolings are wearing. I think every enemy octoling in Splatoon 2 is also wearing hypno shades, probably because Octavio wanted to ensure that they'd stay loyal to him were another incident like the Inkantation to occur. Straight-up brainwashing them is definitely more powerful than simply teaching them that inklings are bad and they should fight them. But then again, this doesn't explain why the sanitized octolings are wearing those sunglasses in the Deepsea Metro, but we know so little about them in general that I don't think it's enough to make this theory fall apart.

So yeah. Those are my theories about the enemy octolings and such. sorry for the wall of text lol

crows

Inkster Jr.
Premium
Pronouns
they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-6103-0887-9214
But then again, this doesn't explain why the sanitized octolings are wearing those sunglasses in the Deepsea Metro, but we know so little about them in general that I don't think it's enough to make this theory fall apart.
I personally have a theory regarding the sanitized octarians and the Kamabo Co. testing facility itself. In all of the testing chambers, enemies glitch out of existence when defeated, and Marina comments that the octarians aren't showing any life-signs. Many test chambers are modeled off places in Inkopolis or, in one case, Octo Valley. I believe that this is because all test chambers are simply computer simulations, with the exception of the thang stations. Commander Tartar claims that his goal is to create the ultimate life-form, and he does so by blending together successful test subjects, such as Agent 8. By putting applicants through a series of tests, Kamabo Co. analyzes their patterns and behaviors and creates life-like simulations of them for future test subjects to fight against, while still being able to use them for the primordial ooze. That would explain why the enemies in the Deepsea Metro are noticeably tougher and smarter than those in Octo Valley. The only major problem with this theory is Agent 3, who just got a glob of sanitized ink on their head instead of being smoothie'd.

HighColorSunset

Pro Squid
NNID
AmazingStrange9
Switch Friend Code
SW-0416-0878-7104
Sanitized Octarians could also have been covered in the ooze, thus sanitizing them, and the ones who got smoothied were just used to make such a thing?

agent8(hachi)

Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
NNID
derek
So, I want to say first...story wise- Does anyone think that there's a chance that the new singers of Inkopolis Square may have some hint of relivance to the games story? Because I think there's a chance. They arn't to be agents I'm sure (Your agent 4, so no new numbers beforehand) but one of the being a friendly Octoling strikes me as being rather interested in her backstory...

When and how did she get to Inkopolis square from Octo valley? Who trusted her in? Many questions. I don't think we can ignore it too much.
I would like to point out that it seems weird how the octostomp returns. Sheldon litterly pointed out how he thought agent 3 took it down.

Oh and also
Introducing The all new, Desanitized, Not dirty, Quite clean but not on the head
OCTOSTOMP REDUX

Attachments

Last edited:

ink#0187

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-6856-4335-4791
I like Splatoon 1's final boss, but I like Splatoon 2's plot.

pio_dov

Pro Squid
To keep my tradition on making one of the first posts in every forum I join about the similarities between Splatoon and Mother, I will do just that. Basically, I, unlike many, like Octo Canyon better than Octo Expansion. The OST is more interesting (ya know, reverse samples of a girl crying), Agent 4's outfit is cooler (and less revealing...) than Eight's, and Octo Expansion is far too easy to beat, allowing you to grind. However, the one thing I might've loved most about Four's story is the similarities with it and the Mother games. Similar to Agent 3's story, it ends with a magical song defeating an evil warlord, much similar to the end of Mother (aka EarthBound Beginnings). The plot line is also extremely similar to that of Mother 3, having a duo of relatives that are torn apart, one is kidnapped and hypnotized by the enemy, and the one who wasn't joins forces with some other guys to save their relative, but in the end they have to fight. That may make it seem like I dislike the mode, but it gives me Mother nostalgia, making me enjoy it even more :)

Splatoonlover1

Inkling
Speaking of the Octo Shower, I can't seem to beat it even with the Hero Charger, despite multiple tries. (I use stick controls - could that be the problem?) I hide in ink when it attacks and try to move away from those attacks, and I try to hit the Octocopters when they're open, but I eventually do get hit, lose my armor, and get splatted, forcing me to go back in there and try again... and again... and again... Any advice?

Last edited:

Elbowtross

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
elbowtross256
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8505-2901
Try lowering your control stick sensitivity. It would probably help with lining up your shots on the octocopters. I only use motion controls and that helps a lot with precise aiming. Maybe give motion a try?

frankus

Banned (6 points)
Story mode was cool but there were some levels that were surreal and I really enjoyed the experience. Like this one level with floating meteors that looks like you're in outer space and when you squid jump between platforms you really feel like you're in an asteroid belt. I also like the levels with the buildings below them. This is where Octarians live so I wonder what do they do in their day to day lives? Do they have ink battles too? It would be cool to explore that area and do many secret missions there. Jumping on top of buildings, buying rare items at underground shops. Meeting up with Agents 1 and 2 in full uniform... and what if you could play as agents 1 and 2. What if the story shifted between multiple characters and what if agents 1 and 2 are down in the city checking for suspicious activity? Those levels were so cool but the platforming was cool as well. Like those floating platforms which change shape when you press a switch... not even Mario can compete with this! Also what about the Octarian technology. What are those circles on the bottom of the platform... do they generate magnetic fields to make the platform float? The other levels that were interesting were the ones with Octarian girls. Why would they hide zapfish in Inkopolis... doesn't make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom