• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Offline tournies needs for a Single Setup: UPDATE there will indeed not be split Screen

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I will continue to update on the possibility of offline tourneys, at least until LAN has been confirmed/deconfirmed

Update Edit: Please read the other comments on the Front page (such as Kat's post) that explain that 8 Tvs and 8 Wii U's per setup may not be so bad and is not uncommon in other games, before you freak out.

Old Post b4 splitscreen was deconfirmed if you're for some reason interested
Do you think Nintendo will force us to have 1 setup (1 wii u, game, and TV) per person? I really hope they have thought that through.

I personally am hoping for split screen options.
1 team of 4 on one setup, the other team on another setup.

Anyone have any articles saying what they are thinking of leaning towards?

edit: Icedise brought up a great point, that the gamepad appears to be central to gameplay, and since one gamepad per system this means a lot more systems are needed. But what if...
Idea that Nintendo could implement to forego needing a wii u gamepad for each person
---
What if there was a button on the Pro controller that was dedicated to switching on the map for your part of the screen and you could quickly choose to Super Jump to your ally, quickly turn off the map with the same button, and get right into the action?
You wouldn't need a gamepad at all
---

Last edited:

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
Well, given all the gameplay sessions and interviews it looks like the motion controls and the gamepad touch screen are quite big asset when it comes to controls. I dont think you can connect 4 gamepads on one system (please correct me if Im wrong) thus the other people with a Pro Controller or such would have a clear disadvantage while playing. If that is the case, then having 4 Wii U:s in the LAN session would be kinda mandatory.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I'm hoping there is split-screen, I'm also hoping there is controller options other than the gamepad.

Well, given all the gameplay sessions and interviews it looks like the motion controls and the gamepad touch screen are quite big asset when it comes to controls. I dont think you can connect 4 gamepads on one system (please correct me if Im wrong) thus the other people with a Pro Controller or such would have a clear disadvantage while playing. If that is the case, then having 4 Wii U:s in the LAN session would be kinda mandatory.
Eh.. they'd never allow anyone to use the gamepad in a local tournament, or they'd put it below the TV so everyone could see the map.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Ok that's right. The reason why I said there is a possibility for split screen is b/c of this idea...

What if there was a button on the Pro controller that was dedicated to switching on the map for your part of the screen and you could quickly choose to Super Jump to your ally, quickly turn off the map with the same button, and get right into the action?

Might edit that thought into OP

Reactions: Lyn

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
Ok that's right. The reason why I said there is a possibility for split screen is b/c of this idea...

Might edit that thought into OP
I think that the Pro Controller can do the super jumps but it's hidden behind a button. Pro Controller should have all the same features as the Wii U gamepad excluding the map display (obviously because it doesnt have a screen) and the motion controls. We still need to experience the importance of the motion controls in the actual game. The impression I've had is that they are quite significant when it comes to aiming but maybe adapting to use the analog sticks only isnt that hard.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
LAN, first and foremost. it's definitely in the game, considering that's what they've used at venues like E3 and PAX while presenting the game. hopefully it'll be in the base game for people to access it. if not, nintendo can always patch it in, and if they don't, the wii u could always be cracked :P

not sure how splitscreen would work, considering the wii u can only use one gamepad at a time, and you won't be able to superjump or see the map if the game lets you use a pro controller. assuming that a minimap is on the HUD, and you can superjump by pressing a button with a little prompt on screen for who to jump to is in the game for when you're not using the gamepad, it's still slower than just using the touch screen. i certainly hope something's like that in the game either way though! split screen would be great for parties

Lyn

Premium
LAN, first and foremost. it's definitely in the game, considering that's what they've used at venues like E3 and PAX while presenting the game. hopefully it'll be in the base game for people to access it. if not, nintendo can always patch it in, and if they don't, the wii u could always be cracked :p
Probably, it wouldn't make any sense to NOT have LAN in. I mean.. who makes a multiplayer game without LAN?

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Probably, it wouldn't make any sense to NOT have LAN in. I mean.. who makes a multiplayer game without LAN?
lots of nintendo games actually had LAN back in the gamecube era... kirby air ride and MKDD off the top of my head. hopefully nintendo has the sense to use LAN for splatoon!

Lyn

Premium
lots of nintendo games actually had LAN back in the gamecube era... kirby air ride and MKDD off the top of my head. hopefully nintendo has the sense to use LAN for splatoon!
Hopefully. If it doesn't have LAN I don't know what i'll do, since I do live near people with Wii U's and do plan on doing tournaments.

SpecialtySake

Pro Squid
Y'know, it seems a little off-putting needing multiple consoles for one match in a tourney, but in a team based setting, I think a tourney would run quite smoothly. HEY! Maybe we can get GameTruck in on the tournament scene? They're already actively supporting Splatoon!

Platypudding

Full Squid
This is a general topic I'm pretty worried about, as LAN is almost entirely necessary for the game to have a very consistent offline scene. There are lots of other questions that are important to the discussion as well. Splitscreen has been discussed here already, which is a big question. If local tournaments have to run via internet connection (which comes with all sorts of extra questions about venue availability that I won't get into) and there's no splitscreen, that means there would have to be 8 setups of splatoon connected to the internet at once for a single match. That's.. probably not even doable under most circumstances. 2 setups might not be that bad of a strain, but it's probably not that comfortable for 4 teammates to share one monitor.

So.. yeah. Hoping LAN is included somehow, someway. If LAN is available, that makes multiple venues near me really good candidates for hosting tournaments though, which I'm super excited about! I really hope be a big part of getting the DFW local scene running as soon as the game comes out.

Lyn

Premium
Y'know, it seems a little off-putting needing multiple consoles for one match in a tourney, but in a team based setting, I think a tourney would run quite smoothly. HEY! Maybe we can get GameTruck in on the tournament scene? They're already actively supporting Splatoon!
Well, we do have to have multiple Wii U's for Smash tournaments. This isn't too different from that I don't think.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
actually since gametruck is running splatoon, that gives me hope LAN mode is available to the public. how else would they run splatoon multiplayer? unless they have a router or something in the truck or it's just singleplayer, lol

Lyn

Premium
actually since gametruck is running splatoon, that gives me hope LAN mode is available to the public. how else would they run splatoon multiplayer? unless they have a router or something in the truck or it's just singleplayer, lol
It's probably gonna have LAN, I'm almost certain of that now.

Madame Coleen

Inkster Jr.
I don't pay that much attention to competitive shooter scenes, but don't they usually run one person per setup? I mean, they'd kinda have to because split-screen would be pretty detrimental to the player.

Sadly this means any hope for running Splatoon tournaments, even as simple as 1v1 would be complicated to put together.

Undr

One person per setup isn't as bad as it sounds. When you need teams of four to participate the game becomes less accessible. Thus the number of entrants significantly drops. And even though each game takes eight setups, that's still eight people playing per match. So it only comes out to a 2/1 against, say, Smash.

I feel that this would cause entry fees to large tournaments to start at $100 per team. This would hopefully give the host enough to pay for the venue despite there being a lower number of players.

On the other hand, it would be possible to do four screen multiplayer IF the Wii U can handle five outputs. Four players with the Team Captain in control of the gamepad. But this would obviously drop gameplay to 30fps and make it horribly ugly to eSport viewers to watch.

Reactions: Lyn

Undr

I don't pay that much attention to competitive shooter scenes, but don't they usually run one person per setup? I mean, they'd kinda have to because split-screen would be pretty detrimental to the player.

Sadly this means any hope for running Splatoon tournaments, even as simple as 1v1 would be complicated to put together.
Another issue with my projection is that you'd need a rather large turnout to produce a prize pool worthy of the $100 winning team entry fee. This is likely the biggest hurdle to overcome when online tournaments would likely guarantee a larger payout.

Platypudding

Full Squid
Another issue with my projection is that you'd need a rather large turnout to produce a prize pool worthy of the $100 winning team entry fee. This is likely the biggest hurdle to overcome when online tournaments would likely guarantee a larger payout.
Splatoon is likely to have some pretty small tournaments scattered around, with, hopefully, a couple of relatively large ones every once in a while. As far as small, grassroots tournaments go, you have to remember that almost everyone in a pro scene for splatoon will have their own setups. So, you could probably go for something like a $50, $40, or $20 entry per team (mostly depending on the size of the tourney itself. Also, obviously, these are super rough estimates), plus venue fee, which is usually like $5 per person, or $20 per team. A lot of venues offer the chance to waive the venue fee if you bring a setup.

My general source for this post is basically just the time I've spent in the smash community. Once again, this is all pretty rough estimates, but I imagine the average small tournament you attend will have around a $10 or $15 cost per person. (this includes venue fee)

nix

Inkster Jr.
Fingers crossed on LAN support. Even if they patch it in later.

I have a feeling we'll be disappointed. Maybe if we clamor hard enough for it the devs will hear us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom