• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Offline tournies needs for a Single Setup: UPDATE there will indeed not be split Screen

Undr

Splatoon is likely to have some pretty small tournaments scattered around, with, hopefully, a couple of relatively large ones every once in a while. As far as small, grassroots tournaments go, you have to remember that almost everyone in a pro scene for splatoon will have their own setups. So, you could probably go for something like a $50, $40, or $20 entry per team (mostly depending on the size of the tourney itself. Also, obviously, these are super rough estimates), plus venue fee, which is usually like $5 per person, or $20 per team. A lot of venues offer the chance to waive the venue fee if you bring a setup.

My general source for this post is basically just the time I've spent in the smash community. Once again, this is all pretty rough estimates, but I imagine the average small tournament you attend will have around a $10 or $15 cost per person. (this includes venue fee)
I've hosted a few Smash tournaments myself and venue fees are steep if you can't get it for free. Especially when you have to have enough room for a TV per player, or twice the rental time if you have to have double match rounds. Accommodating such tournaments would require a large player turnout in order to provide a suitable prize pool. Plus what's the definition of a "small tournament"? Semi-Finals alone would count sixteen players. Four contesting teams would better be called a SquidFest than a tournament.

Personally I feel an online league would be best.

EDIT: SquidFest is now the official term for Splatoon gatherings. It' cannot be undone.

Hi_C

Full Squid
I'm curious. Has Nintendo directly stated that they planned on supporting tournaments? If they do, that would be amazing. I have a feeling that this game is gong to have a super underlying competitive nature to it and could have the same effect that Smash has. I guess time will tell.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Splatoon is likely to have some pretty small tournaments scattered around, with, hopefully, a couple of relatively large ones every once in a while. As far as small, grassroots tournaments go, you have to remember that almost everyone in a pro scene for splatoon will have their own setups. So, you could probably go for something like a $50, $40, or $20 entry per team (mostly depending on the size of the tourney itself. Also, obviously, these are super rough estimates), plus venue fee, which is usually like $5 per person, or $20 per team. A lot of venues offer the chance to waive the venue fee if you bring a setup.

My general source for this post is basically just the time I've spent in the smash community. Once again, this is all pretty rough estimates, but I imagine the average small tournament you attend will have around a $10 or $15 cost per person. (this includes venue fee)
Yah same here, I go to a few smash tournies

. Idk I wouldn't mind having to spend $10-$15 a person. But anymore is a bit too much.
And btw gl with your tournament scene!!!
I've hosted a few Smash tournaments myself and venue fees are steep if you can't get it for free. Especially when you have to have enough room for a TV per player, or twice the rental time if you have to have double match rounds. Accommodating such tournaments would require a large player turnout in order to provide a suitable prize pool. Plus what's the definition of a "small tournament"? Semi-Finals alone would count sixteen players. Four contesting teams would better be called a SquidFest than a tournament.

Personally I feel an online league would be best.

EDIT: SquidFest is now the official term for Splatoon gatherings. It' cannot be undone.
Well in socal we've had a 100 something people fit in a small arcade. You don't need something huge, as long as people can watch the stream from outside, chill, and socialize. and Price for venue= $5, price for each event =$5.
And I really hope offline happens more tho, I've met so many people at offline tournies and have become buds with a lot. Idk I dont like the idea of losing the close knit community experience I have had with smash.

Undr

Yah same here, I go to a few smash tournies

. Idk I wouldn't mind having to spend $10-$15 a person. But anymore is a bit too much.
And btw gl with your tournament scene!!!

Well in socal we've had a 100 something people fit in a small arcade. You don't need something huge, as long as people can watch the stream from outside, chill, and socialize. and Price for venue= $5, price for each event =$5.
And I really hope offline happens more tho, I've met so many people at offline tournies and have become buds with a lot. Idk I dont like the idea of losing the close knit community experience I have had with smash.
Suppose location and luck is key. The only possible locations we could manage in the county were hotels and the such.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Suppose location and luck is key. The only possible locations we could manage in the county were hotels and the such.
Oh dang. Nah man, those would be extremely expensive. Yah it was an arcade that hosted other games as well.
But we also had another tourney that talked to a place that hosts, Magic game tournaments. So basically try to talk to places that are already used to hosting tournies

Undr

Oh dang. Nah man, those would be extremely expensive. Yah it was an arcade that hosted other games as well.
But we also had another tourney that talked to a place that hosts, Magic game tournaments. So basically try to talk to places that are already used to hosting tournies
Where I live (namely Maryland) there are no arcades. Game Shops that host MtG are incredibly tiny as well. When those places host tournaments they rent hotels or The Lion's Club. I feel like this might be an EC thing in all honesty. Or the WC has a lot more commercial areas available.

Faty

Inkling
Been wondering how Splatoon tournaments will work as well.

Since they emphasize on the gamepad so much it's possible the one person per console thing might happen :s I fear we might not have 4 player local......
The booths at PAX and Apex were a console per person right? Having to get 8 Wii U's to have one match seems like a drag... :(

Have they announced anywhere which controllers are supported? Or has there been a picture of the back of the box yet? D:
I'm pretty sure we'll get all the controllers supported. Except well, probably Game Cube Controllers ;c (But we can dream ~ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) )

I fear they might do something similar to recent Wii U multiplayer games like Hyrule Warriors in which, first player gets the gamepad and second player gets the tv/monitor for like two player support. This could work to take a friend online as well since, 4 players from one console is kinda questionable.....
Although, that would mean both players not having the map for Super Jumping at hand (quite literally) but putting it as a pop up menu is an easy fix.
This seems likely since they showed the mode in which you play 1v1 on the Tree house stream after the most recent Nintendo Direct playing with this method.

Also, do you guys think we would we need an internet connection to play? :s This could be a problem, since Lag is a potential threat.

IDK MANNNN TOO MANY POSSIBILITIES. I'm pretty spooked at all these things that could make organizing a tournament difficult :scared: :confused:

Hi_C

Full Squid
Been wondering how Splatoon tournaments will work as well.

Since they emphasize on the gamepad so much it's possible the one person per console thing might happen :s I fear we might not have 4 player local......
The booths at PAX and Apex were a console per person right? Having to get 8 Wii U's to have one match seems like a drag... :(

Have they announced anywhere which controllers are supported? Or has there been a picture of the back of the box yet? D:
I'm pretty sure we'll get all the controllers supported. Except well, probably Game Cube Controllers ;c (But we can dream ~ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) )

I fear they might do something similar to recent Wii U multiplayer games like Hyrule Warriors in which, first player gets the gamepad and second player gets the tv/monitor for like two player support. This could work to take a friend online as well since, 4 players from one console is kinda questionable.....
Although, that would mean both players not having the map for Super Jumping at hand (quite literally) but putting it as a pop up menu is an easy fix.
This seems likely since they showed the mode in which you play 1v1 on the Tree house stream after the most recent Nintendo Direct playing with this method.

Also, do you guys think we would we need an internet connection to play? :s This could be a problem, since Lag is a potential threat.

IDK MANNNN TOO MANY POSSIBILITIES. I'm pretty spooked at all these things that could make organizing a tournament difficult :scared: :confused:
Well I mean I am sure if the games competitive scene blows up that it could have a similar tournament setup like Halo The Master Chief Collection does since it doesn't have LAN support. That being said, I would assume they would just have LAN for easier usage of tournaments. I wonder by any chance, do they sell wired pro controllers? Would be nice for this game tbh.

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
Basically all console games played at LAN run with 1 person per setup. PC centric LANs usually require you to bring your own PC so this could be a potential option for lower budget LAN games. With the lack of custom options I believe that this 1 person 1 setup method will be the only viable way to play any LAN games, however I don't think we've been fully detailed to what extent Splatoon will have 'LAN'. Will it simply function like online matchmaking over a local area network or will it have it's own independent functionality. If someone knows this do fill me in. But I don't think 1 person 1 setup will necessarily affect the LAN scene negatively.

I know if LAN is possible I'll be pushing it in the UK as much as possible. We'll have to wait and see for specifics.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Basically all console games played at LAN run with 1 person per setup. PC centric LANs usually require you to bring your own PC so this could be a potential option for lower budget LAN games. With the lack of custom options I believe that this 1 person 1 setup method will be the only viable way to play any LAN games, however I don't think we've been fully detailed to what extent Splatoon will have 'LAN'. Will it simply function like online matchmaking over a local area network or will it have it's own independent functionality. If someone knows this do fill me in. But I don't think 1 person 1 setup will necessarily affect the LAN scene negatively.

I know if LAN is possible I'll be pushing it in the UK as much as possible. We'll have to wait and see for specifics.
we do not know anything about LAN in splatoon other than it exists in some capacity (E3 and PAX were running with a LAN setup) and may not be available to the public consumer. assuming it is, however, then LAN tournaments will probably be bring-your-own wii u. although since wii us are much more affordable than a pc, high profile tournaments might be able to supply their own, although i don't think that'll be necessary except for back ups incase someone has a modded wii u or one breaks

Reactions: Kat

thefro

Full Squid
If the gamepad outputs the same audio as the TV, could you use computer monitors that take HDMI inputs instead of using TVs?

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
If the gamepad outputs the same audio as the TV, could you use computer monitors that take HDMI inputs instead of using TVs?
it outputs from the game, not the console or tv, so yes

for example, when you're playing on the tv with wwhd, the only sound that comes from the gamepad is when you use the ui on the touchscreen. it doesn't actually copy the music and sfx coming from the tv

Oathkeeper

Inkling
NNID
MForward56
I hope this game does have LAN support of some kind but to be honest I'm expecting that it won't just because this is Nintendo and they haven't advertised the online game modes as being playable offline, ever. Sure they had the E3/PAX stuff but that was most definitely special builds of the game and I'm doubtful we'll see that come launch. I'm willing to be proven wrong but I'm setting my expectations low for just now.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I hope this game does have LAN support of some kind but to be honest I'm expecting that it won't just because this is Nintendo and they haven't advertised the online game modes as being playable offline, ever. Sure they had the E3/PAX stuff but that was most definitely special builds of the game and I'm doubtful we'll see that come launch. I'm willing to be proven wrong but I'm setting my expectations low for just now.
http://wiiudaily.com/2015/04/nintendo-partners-with-gametruck-to-promote-splatoon/

considering gametruck is running the game for their services, i think that means LAN will be available to general consumers in some form... i really doubt it's just going to be battle dojo and hero mode, considering gametruck's demographic is rich kids birthday parties with lots of friends :P

Oathkeeper

Inkling
NNID
MForward56
http://wiiudaily.com/2015/04/nintendo-partners-with-gametruck-to-promote-splatoon/

considering gametruck is running the game for their services, i think that means LAN will be available to general consumers in some form... i really doubt it's just going to be battle dojo and hero mode, considering gametruck's demographic is rich kids birthday parties with lots of friends :p
And it's not possible Nintendo is supplying them an updated version of the build they used at E3/PAX? Not trying to sound condescending/sarcastic or whatever, I'm genuinely curious as I know nothing about Gametruck or the size of their business.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Guys... SPLIT SCREEN HAS BEEN DECONFIRMED
14:20 Corey from the Nintendo TreeHouse said it himself.

Guys I am so glad you said that this might happen or I would've been caught completely off guard and discouraged.
For those who are planning offline tournies setups will need 8 TVs and 8 Wii U's. This is assuming there is LAN support which has not been confirmed yet.

edit: this is such a pity tho, I really wanted to be able to play online with my bro's

Last edited:

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
And it's not possible Nintendo is supplying them an updated version of the build they used at E3/PAX? Not trying to sound condescending/sarcastic or whatever, I'm genuinely curious as I know nothing about Gametruck or the size of their business.
I'd just wait and see. I think if there is evidence of consumers anywhere outside of high profile events able to play over LAN, then it would be a good sign. Even if it ends up limited to high profile events or people with a lot of money/connections who can acquire the right copy of the game, I think that would be the worst case scenario. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point, but there is not a whole lot more to go on other than local gameplay at events/Game Trucks and speculation at this point.

Guys... SPLIT SCREEN HAS BEEN DECONFIRMED
14:20 Corey from the Nintendo TreeHouse said it himself.

Guys I am so glad you said that this might happen or I would've been caught completely off guard and discouraged.
For those who are planning offline tournies setups will need 8 TVs and 8 Wii U's. This is assuming there is LAN support which has not been confirmed yet.
I'm saying this delicately, nothing sinister intended. I think this has been known for a while, but yes, I'm glad you found out so as to avoid disappointment.

Last edited:

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
People on the SplatoonUK Facebook page have already 'confirmed' a LAN basically. Someone has said they've basically already set one up, so going to need to set up my team asap. However they haven't mentioned how they're going to do it. I'll be interested to see if they provide WiiUs. It'd be really cool if there was some way to transfer your character, kind of like cloud saves. Then logging in with your NNID would allow you to simply have your char right there. However I don't think Cloud saves are a thing and I don't think saves can be transferred by USB. Anyone know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom