• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Opinion ~ What do you think is the strongest and weakest special weapon and why?

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
Is curling bomb rush weak or is it just the weapons it’s on? I never play the aerospray or tenta brella so i don’t really know but it seems like it would be pretty useful for overwhelming an area.

I’ve been playing this game consistently for the past year and I still suck with Inkjet. I almost always get shot down, to the point that if I’m playing an inkjet weapon for whatever reason I don’t even activate the special because it’s a liability for me. I also find it really easy to shoot down most other inkject users though, so i would say that in the right hands it might be very powerful, but most people do not have those hands.

Another thing: to newish players with bomb rush (of any kind), it’s not that lethal and you don’t have to throw all the bombs! Players get bomb rush and for some reason think they’re invincible. It’s usually really easy to swim right up to someone with bomb rush and splat them because they’re so distracted throwing bombs.

_Alex_

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-2820-9957-0983
alright after the patch I gotta say that rn best special is still armor probably and worst is still auto rush but I just wanted to say that anyone who thinks stamp is the worst special now is high af its super good now

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Is curling bomb rush weak or is it just the weapons it’s on? I never play the aerospray or tenta brella so i don’t really know but it seems like it would be pretty useful for overwhelming an area.

I’ve been playing this game consistently for the past year and I still suck with Inkjet. I almost always get shot down, to the point that if I’m playing an inkjet weapon for whatever reason I don’t even activate the special because it’s a liability for me. I also find it really easy to shoot down most other inkject users though, so i would say that in the right hands it might be very powerful, but most people do not have those hands.

Another thing: to newish players with bomb rush (of any kind), it’s not that lethal and you don’t have to throw all the bombs! Players get bomb rush and for some reason think they’re invincible. It’s usually really easy to swim right up to someone with bomb rush and splat them because they’re so distracted throwing bombs.
Curling Rush doesn't have the same killing power that something like Suction or (especially) Splat does. It is also much more situational and more difficult to do well with because the bombs have to be thrown on flat ground.

Last edited:

_Alex_

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-2820-9957-0983

curling rush is in fact weak. tent as a main weapon is very good to have a special that makes it garbage tier is something to behold. I love the special but its complete ***. inkjet is very powerful in the right hands yes, though its not the steepest curve to climb when talking about getting good with it.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
At this point, every special is good. Stamp and Booyah have been buffed well, and Splashdown has become more of a distraction special. Missiles' hidden potential (which has been there since the start of the game, mind you) has finally been found apparently, with Sendou and other top players calling them good now. I don't know why it took them this long to realize that you have to pair Missiles up with something else to make them useful and not just spam them, but that's a discussion for another day.

The only bad special, in my opinion, is Curling Rush, which is slow, bad at killing, and requires flat ground. They're only on 2 weapons at the moment, and both of them are bad, so I don't see anyone ever use them anyway.

Merch_Andise

Inkster Jr.
NNID
solarOddity
Switch Friend Code
SW-1239-4877-3880
Weakest specials are def Splashdown and Tenta Missles.

You can still be killed while in the middle of a splashdown, and top-level players will usually always take advantage of that. Your at the mercy of your opponents aiming skill when you use a splashdown.

Tenta Missles aren't entirely usless, but they're still pretty sucky. Unless the entire enemy team is in one spot, you're almost never going to get a kill with this. It's only real uses is enemy-spotting (a role which should already be filled by a sniper backliner) or as a way to temporarily inconvenience an opposing E-Liter.

The hammer used to be pretty bad too, until it was buffed in the most recent patch. It's pretty alright now. Not insane, but way better than what it used to be.

The best specials in the game atm (imo) is Booyah Bomb and Stingray. Bubbles coming in as a close third. Booyah Bomb and Stingray can be used in a pretty similar way, and that's to end overtime. BB and Stingray will always get people off a Tower. Stingray will always kill the Rainmaker. BB will always re-fill the Splatzone as long as it's not an absurdly large zone.

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
Splashdown is an odd one. It’s absolutely amazing on weapons that rely on burst damage and confusion-fu (usually the ones with bombs and high inking potential like Clapples and Inkbrush), but mediocre otherwise. If it didn’t refill the ink tank, it’d be far worse. (Yes, all specials refill the ink tank, but Splashdown does it without altering your available weapons so it’s better for confusion tactics)

I think the best special is probably Baller. Works well on both offense and defense in most modes, and it’s just versatile overall.

The worst one is probably Curling Bomb Launcher, but more because everything else is more useful, not because it’s useless. I’ll defend my Tenta Sorella until the day I die though, fight me.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
think the best special is probably Baller. Works well on both offense and defense in most modes, and it’s just versatile overall.
Not in this meta. Did you know that the mini (most relevant weapon choice atm) can break one in one charge?

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
Not in this meta. Did you know that the mini (most relevant weapon choice atm) can break one in one charge?
I didn’t, actually. I hadn’t played in a while before I heard about Sheldon’s Picks.

I think if you’re careful though, the point still stands. It’s a great escape tool, can get picks fairly easily, and can break up enemy formations pretty easily, even if you can’t always get a lot of kills with it.

Squidilicious

Inkster Jr.

You should only use inkjet with approximately two mains of special power up because it makes it much easier to one shot people with inkjet (it increases the radius of the ink jet blasts) and therefore prevent them from taking you out. I think SPU might also make inkjet easier to handle but don't quote me on that one. Also ideally you wanna take off from pretty high. I've used ink jet a lot and I rarely die using it.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
BB will always re-fill the Splatzone as long as it's not an absurdly large zone.
Actually that really isn't true. Enemies firing into the Booyah Bomb can easily reclaim whatever turf the Booyah Bomb is covering. Unlike the likes of Inkstrike, Booyah Bomb doesn't negate incoming fire and only inks in an expanding ring. As somebody who plays Heavy Deco in Splat Zones, it is really easy to keep a Booyah Bomb from taking a zone, plus its painting is janky if any walls are involved.

SillySocks

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8373-4160-3827
Sooo, with the 4.7 update, now Splashdown is...kinda better? Personally, I wouldn't have placed it quite as far down into the "weakest" category, even before the update. As someone mentioned before, a player who is very familiar with any given special and uses it effectively can make it work out, and Splashdown is certainly one of those. It gets punished more often at higher levels due to others keeping their cool and knowing to shoot a Splashdown out of the sky, but a clever aggressive player need not use it as a panic button or isolated attack - by creating a chaotic, distracting situation via things like burst bombs with the classic Splattershot during the approach, or feinting a directed attack before suddenly maneuvering into an unexpected but intended direction and quickly performing the special, it's definitely possible to find good results. Maybe not great, but not too bad either.

This new update buffs the Splashdown's other unique strength - countering other specials. Not only does it destroy bubbles and bombs, but apparently it now shreds right through a Booyah Bomber's shielding as well as the Baller if close enough. I can see how Splashdowns can be used in team situations as either an explosive entry-point to punch through a front-line defense for other teammates to use as a foothold, or as an "erase button" (not quite panic button) to quickly diffuse chaotic situations caused by other specials, especially when around the objectives. I absolutely do not think this makes Splashdown a top-tier special to choose by any means.. it's still mainly a reactionary special, still can be countered, and is less effective when the opposing team are not running a comp that includes specials that the Splashdown can counter. Buuut I personally think it's far better than weakest.

As for the other specials, I agree with most everyone that Ink Armor is perhaps the strongest and Curling Bomb Launcher is laughably the weakest overall. Besides the free shielding Ink Armor offers, as an aggressive player, I love how it quickly refills the ink tank and lets you continue shooting; it lets aggressive players be ever more aggressive, and gives you that ink (and thus, turf/maneuverability/endurance) advantage in shootouts. I also looove Bubble Blower and think it should be among the top specials as well. It's so versatile in the methods you can deploy the bubbles, or even "sit on" the second or third bubble for quite a while before deploying them. As for that all-important, deliciously explosive third bubble... *devious giggling* Favorite technique: First and second bubble deployed near objective; multiple opponents teaming together to try to ink down said bubbles; said bubbles in fact used to decoy and screen my movements as I swim/run/jump up close; suddenly deploy third bubble beside opponents and rapidly follow up with a suction bomb and several shots from the Forge Pro before they even know what's about to happen; POP!! Pretty much a near-instant Splashdown that can't be shot from the air. *crazed gleeful laughter*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom