• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Opinions on the Splat Roller?

The Splat Roller is:

• I literally hate anyone who uses a Roller

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Squidly

Inkling
When I first tried the Splat Roller in the testfire, I was really surprised with much it was able to do while still being fairly easy to get splattered using it. My first impressions of it made me think that the very nature of the weapon would ruin the entire game and make it too easy, but after using it for myself for awhile, I've found it to be a some what fair weapon with alright tradeoffs, and it's totally going to be one of the first weapons I'll be mastering in the full game.
What are your thoughts on the Roller?

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I don't find any problems with it yet, i can splat them more than they can splat me, if i can see them first, i also had problems splatting the other team when i rolled myself.

dcooper

Senior Squid
NNID
victoriafan15
I fine the roller an easily and well balance weapon especially if your trying to cover up the ground with ink in turf wars.

Dr. Peace

Full Squid
It's balanced perfectly fine. It'll be great in Turf War, but in the upcoming tower mode and in some splat zones maps it will see less use due to how hard it will be to defend areas meaningfully with it. It's definitely not overpowered by any means, and if you honestly think it is:

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
I think People are finally understanding that the Roller is not OP~ :3

RayneTheSkunk

Inkster Jr.
Honestly I was amazed how many people's first reaction was that it was OP. Even well veteranned fighting game players I know where quick to think it was op and needed nerfs.

Its only hilarious because it is very easily dispatched by just shooting them. I think people are realizing that now with all the videos. Even if a player stacked 3 speed ups I doubt the roller would be op. It would be really strong, but there's many ways to be evasive.

AstralSpirit

Full Squid
NNID
AstralSpirit26
The roller's really good, but overpowered? Definitely not. Having some on your team for turf war to cover ground can definitely give your team an upper hand, but, if you have only rollers, for instance, it is easy for your team to get dominated. If four rollers were they key to victory, then maybe it would be overpowered, but that isn't the case. Also, in the two announced ranked battle modes, I feel rollers definitely won't be as good as they are in turf wars, so there's another argument why they aren't overpowered. I also preferred the Slpattershot/Splattershot Jr. because I liked being able to ink ahead of myself and get around quickly, which the roller has issues with. Sure, the roller covers a lot of ground, and is excellent in the hands of someone who knows how to use it, but it can't do everything.

RedML51

Senior Squid
NNID
RedML51
11 out of 12 votes call it fair and balanced; everyone seems to be on the same page, eh?

Yeah, it's easy to use but it has a lot of weaknesses, too. We'll always look back at the first Testfire and remember how much of a fuss people made over it, but I think people are starting to realize now that rollers are definitely not the gamebreaker everyone was making them out to be...

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
the roller is a lot like playing pyro in tf2. at first you think it's an amazing weapon because of how effective it is within its range, but then you discover the fact anyone else can just backpedal away and shoot and there's not much you can do about that. you're going to have to rely on ambushing if you want to frag someone in higher level play with it, and avoid any real direct conflict

it's going to be a great weapon for area coverage, but i wouldnt want to run it full time in a casual match, and competitive teams will probably want to limit themselves to just letting one player use it since having one out makes firefights borderline 3v4, but it can still make up for that loss in combat effectiveness in ink coverage. being able to cover that much territory in a short amount of time gives your team much more breathing room.

Teddy

Senior Squid
NNID
EggplantAlloy
I thought it was too powerful at first, but after playing with it for most of the first testfire it was pretty quick to reveal its flaws. I still think it's a blast to play with though, and having one or two on your squad is ideal.

no option in poll for "it's underpowered", oh well
Could you explain your stance or are you kidding?

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
it is not that great of a weapon

it's too close range to be especially effective outside of a niche weapon for ink coverage, and you don't have access to mobility techniques like splatterhopping or splatdashing, or even really basic stuff like shooting a straight line and swimming in it. because it's worse for moving around and fragging it is a really limiting weapon as compared to the shooters like the splattershot that are really adaptable and versatile, which is very important in a game with close quarters maps and small team sizes

it makes up for a lot of that in ink coverage, which is a very useful asset to your team, but its still a niche weapon overall and is closer to underpowered than overpowered

Reactions: flc

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
When using the roller early on is still easy, as if everyone in the room is inexperienced then it might be easy to sneak up and take them by surprise.
If you're doing a room with much higher skill levels, you'll be much better off covering areas that no one is watching, cause when people get good, nothing slips them by and rollers will be potentially useless to attack the opponents with.

However, i feel the rollers does play a good role of marking turf fast and quick, having at least one in your team is necessary in my opinion, fighting against a team of rollers pretty much means they can claim their turf back faster than you can kill them, if they know what they're doing.

RayneTheSkunk

Inkster Jr.
I think stealth rollers and assist rollers will still be very useful in combat.

If someone is in a shoot out they can be caught off guard by a roller coming into assist. Even if the roller doesn't kill them it still helps. And no matter how good you get when people move slowly in the ink they are invisible. They can try to predict it but they can never know. The roller is particularly good at surprise stealthy kills sense its one hit.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
It's a weapon specially made with ink coverage in mind and it's easy to use. But its disadvantages makes it balanced. If you see a roller after you, all you have to do is backpedal. But I feel if you're going to make a squad, a roller is very useful. Rollers can be used stealthily by hiding in their own ink and catching people off their guard. It's a one hit kill weapon.

In my opinion, the roller is a good weapon but it's balanced.

DDB

Senior Squid
NNID
Diddybound
I feel like the Roller's REALLY good... At covering turf. I noticed in the Testfire it seemed like a lot of people were trying to go full-on offensive with it. 9 times out of 10 if you're a roller against any other weapon and you were face-to-face... You're gonna lose.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I think it's very fun to use! Although it's practically useless at far range I still think it's very good for covering ink, it's pretty balanced overall. :)

redadil4

Inkster Jr.
NNID
leatherbelt
I think the splat roller's main advantage is areas with lots of corners where the opposing team wont see you coming. In any other situation, I don't think it's that great against any other weapon, but I will say it is the most efficient way of spreading ink everywhere.

DDB

Senior Squid
NNID
Diddybound
Part of the reason it seemed so effective in the Testfire is because both of the stages available in it were 90% narrow pathways, PERFECT for Rollers.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
because it's a weapon that has a skill ceiling effectively equal to its skill floor and as soon as people stop being awful at the game it'll become a liability

dynamo roller and brush have a decent chance of being ok because of their extra gimmicks (mass ink spread/shield and high speed respectively) but the roller as it is now has too small of an advantage for too large of a cost

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom