• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Opinions on the Splat Roller?

The Splat Roller is:

• I literally hate anyone who uses a Roller

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NNID DubaloSeven

Inkster Jr.
It's nice to know people don't think the splat roller is OP. I was gonna main it anyway, but now most people won't give me **** for using it.

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
Its nothing to write home about...

Its a weapon with notable strengths and weaknesses olike all of the weapons (and weapon sets) I've seen so far.

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
Definitely think it's a well balanced weapon / set up.
The roller sucks in combat, is quite easy localize, so it must be amazing at taking turf.
Killer Wail is a good offensive asset to control an area and splatter cornered enemies. Yet, it's still kinda easy to avoid most of the time, which prevents it from being OP.

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
I won't say the Roller is "OP", but I do think it's a very good weapon that is balanced. Not only are you covering tons of area, but sneaking behind foes and flinging ink at them for a 1 to 2 hit splat makes it seems like it could work well as a flanking "assassin" class.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
I said it in a previous thread and I have to say it again; I think the Roller is a fantastic weapon when used for flanking, getting a good support paint spread for other players to swim in, and used for late-game backdooring. It's incredibly effective when used these ways, but it's not a fantastic combat weapon against Splattershots, Chargers, or Splatter Jr.'s at all. In fact, giving splatter shots a second of breath when a roller could very well mean death.

CyberHyperPhoenix

Senior Squid
I said it in a previous thread and I have to say it again; I think the Roller is a fantastic weapon when used for flanking, getting a good support paint spread for other players to swim in, and used for late-game backdooring. It's incredibly effective when used these ways, but it's not a fantastic combat weapon against Splattershots, Chargers, or Splatter Jr.'s at all. In fact, giving splatter shots a second of breath when a roller could very well mean death.
Which is why ya gotta be stealthy when you are using the roller, especially in high scale battles. Quickly hide in the ink and come out and roll them over in a surprise attack.
I used this tactic alot when playing the demos and its actually quite good.

But yeah, the biggest thing it has going against it are definitely the chargers, especially when they are in spots that are hard to get too.

Vayu

Inkster Jr.
NNID
baamin
It's a terror if enemies neglect to pick them off and a mediocre weapon if they do.
That's basically it.

Flakk

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Magolorthegreat
splat roller will probably end up being like garen in league of legends, a big threat until you realise you can just stay out of range and kite.

Of course the games are completely different and as such the roller will still be useful for just claiming land and will most likely always be a valuable tool in turf war. I can't see it having much use in splat zones though, as the splattershot can clear the small spaces almost as well and has wayyy more ultity. Paint rollers would probably have to change their focus to a support based role, inking the areas around the zones for increased mobility and ambushing anyone who goes out of position, and even then having more than 1 roller would probably spell doom.

Radi

Senior Squid
NNID
InfinityBeamX
The Splat Roller doesn't seem too OP in my eyes. You can cover a lot of space effortlessly, but it's definitely not the best weapon for combat. It's fairly easy to get hit with any sort of ink shooting weapon, even if you know what you're doing. It's more balanced than what some people may think.

SGM

Inkster Jr.
NNID
UltimateBlast
It's pretty easy to exploit the weaknesses of; walk backwards away from the Splat Roller user and shoot them. Unless you're in a really tight situation, I don't really see it as a potential threat in any way whatsoever.

Now, the Squiffers on the other hand...

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
It's really good. but due to the fact of lag, if you kill a roller who is in front of you. there's a chance he will still run you over (even if you are pretty far away) I've also had the issue where I kill someone, yet ink still comes out from where they died, killing me. other than that. The roller is easy to take care of, and It's a blast to use as well.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
Ehhh, I've been dealing with a good bit of them today. Alls I can say, they're really only a threat if they get you by surprise (but, what isn't?) In almost any other situation (aside from camping an enemy super jump and, jokes on you, its a roller) they're an easy kill. Undoing the damage one tends to cause to your turf is another story though.

Oh, and the Kraken. That thing is irritating, but that isn't really a roller issue (I think?)

Crucifigo

Pro Squid
NNID
Crucifigo
I plan on specializing in Inkbrush roller, rollers aren't that bad really. The mutually assured suicide isn't a guarantee either though, I've splatted other rollers by taking them on at an angle. The lack of range makes up for being able to colour so much space at once and kill other players in one hit head-on. Inkbrush looks more promising to me, since it switches things around. High speed roller but with poor coverage.

DDB

Senior Squid
NNID
Diddybound
Another fun thing to do in Roller VS Roller: If you jump them, you'll avoid THEIR roller while taking them out. The double-suicide avoided!

I also can't lie that I'm a bit annoyed when there's a Roller user with a bit of lag.

DatGuyAegis

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Tmoney670
It honestly is an amazing weapon used in the right hands. Some people really know how to use it and that's good. I played with and against some pretty clutch and play making rollers.

Meloetta

Senior Squid
Krak-On Splat Roller is great for base charges.

Sneak past the middle, start rolling up their turf. As they respawn and are about to splat you, RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

The Jump Beacons are also amazing.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Krak-On Splat Roller is really good. If you aren't abusing the flick attack the roller has then you aren't playing the weapon right. It's very useful for outranging weapons like the Jr. and one-shotting people in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom