Patch 2.9.0

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Not a hacker, there's a newly discovered near invincibility exploit.
Details, please?

Hopefully it'll be fixed before the upcoming splatfest...

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
Well they better fix that "exploit". I've only encountered it once today, the person's aim was awful, but I can see how that can get annoying. And I, too, am curious how it's an exploit.

LupusFreak

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LupusFreak
Found this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/4rqn2h/information_on_the_new_squidgod_bugglitch/

Yeah, this is really bad.

"There have been a few posts on this new bug now, where you get killed by some invisible enemy and they appear to be ascending to heaven on the kill cam. So I did a little digging and decided to summarize what I've found!

The glitch has been popping up frequently since the latest update. Here's an example of what it looks like.

First off, this is NOT a hack - the match looks perfectly normal to the "glitched" person, other than the fact that nobody is noticing their existence.

How do you get glitched? You need to superjump right before you're about to hit water or somewhere out of bounds - example, example 2. Starting from the superjump animation, you're now invisible to both teammates and enemies. Your squid icon will be off the gamepad to teammates, like so. The kill cam looks "godlike" because you're stuck in superjump animation to everyone else. No shots will damage you, but apparently bombs can.

Here's a fun example of both teams managing to become invisible. This is highly exploitable and I expect it to be patched soon, so have fun with it while you can... in private battles only, please!"

I'm gonna make a new thread on this.

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
This explains what I was seeing then, the super jump icon that never goes away but it was always located next to a drop off area (where one would fall off and splat). I must have done this by accident because I played a map where I was splatting enemy team mates left and right like they didn't see me. I thought maybe they were looking at another player and I would get splatted (i guess by accidental bombs), so it never clicked that maybe they just didn't see me oddly enough. Explains the Tower control game where I road the Tower all the way and no enemy was shooting at me for some reason, LOL.

Last edited:

inviso

Inkling
NNID
inviso87
Found this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/4rqn2h/information_on_the_new_squidgod_bugglitch/

Yeah, this is really bad.

"There have been a few posts on this new bug now, where you get killed by some invisible enemy and they appear to be ascending to heaven on the kill cam. So I did a little digging and decided to summarize what I've found!

The glitch has been popping up frequently since the latest update. Here's an example of what it looks like.

First off, this is NOT a hack - the match looks perfectly normal to the "glitched" person, other than the fact that nobody is noticing their existence.

How do you get glitched? You need to superjump right before you're about to hit water or somewhere out of bounds - example, example 2. Starting from the superjump animation, you're now invisible to both teammates and enemies. Your squid icon will be off the gamepad to teammates, like so. The kill cam looks "godlike" because you're stuck in superjump animation to everyone else. No shots will damage you, but apparently bombs can.

Here's a fun example of both teams managing to become invisible. This is highly exploitable and I expect it to be patched soon, so have fun with it while you can... in private battles only, please!"

I'm gonna make a new thread on this.
Yes, let's post how to do it so everyone can do it :|

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
A few arguments for publicising it:
  1. As remarked in the replies to the Reddit post, it's easy to do this by accident. This way, people will be more aware of it.
  2. If it's a bigger story, Nintendo will take action faster... hopefully?
  3. Having factual backing dispels any potential myths, for example of the 'this is hacking and can harm your save data' sort.
  4. Most people who'd want to do it could learn about it and do it regardless of it being posted here.

Last edited:

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
No need to fret. Most people in this community wouldn't do such a thing just to make the game less enjoyable. Yes, there's gonna be people who're gonna do it anyway (as you can't prevent people from doing what they want), but I've found most people in this community (this site, as I don't browse much elsewhere) wouldn't do something like this unless it was a private battle or something.

Either way, Nintendo better fix this issue before splatfest comes around.

LupusFreak

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LupusFreak
I was able to replicate the glitch. It is REALLY easy to do. And i'm pretty sure most of the Japanese population knows of it by now, because most of the matches i've seen so far consist of them rushing to the spots where the glitch is possible. This needs to get patched fast.

inviso

Inkling
NNID
inviso87
I was able to replicate the glitch. It is REALLY easy to do. And i'm pretty sure most of the Japanese population knows of it by now, because most of the matches i've seen so far consist of them rushing to the spots where the glitch is possible. This needs to get patched fast.
I've only found it to be easy on Triggerfish, but only tested a few places with friends in a private.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
What a random glitch. I can't seem to access the link of both teams being invisible. That would be pretty hilarious to see, lol.

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
Honestly it's not that impractical of a glitch, so hopefully it gets patched fast, I mean today after we figured it out, we successfully and easily used it in a scrim for RM on Bluefin to get an easy knockout, since they couldn't see the rainmaker. Also extremely broken for TC, since you are only vulnerable to bombs, and can keep riding tower.

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
After studying the video, I can reproduce it now easily. The bug is actually caused by the gap.
Example, if you notice, try to super jump while falling into a gap (water, pit, etc) and you'll die stuck in SJ mode. No matter how high up, the game prevents the SJ while falling. Now the trick is to cross a gap while in SJ but land on something solid to complete the jump. Once you have that down, you can reproduce this anywhere that has a splat gap (water, pit, fall, etc.)

I've been doing this with the inkbrush so I don't splat anyone by accident when running around. The little ink brush makes this ghost trail that got a few laughs watching the other team chase it around.

Bombs will splat you, but noticed that Ink Strike will not? Also, team mates can't SJ to you in this weird invincible/invisible mode. Got a whole team confused last game but I don't know if they realized it or not. Mainly just been doing Turf War with this, didn't want to bring the lameness into Ranked mode :)

This has to come from the latest patch because this has never happened before and I've SJ between gaps plenty of times and never came out invisible/invincible before.

Last edited:

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
Er, yes you can, you click on their name instead of their squid location on the Gamepad :p
You have me curious now, what do you see when you do? Is the player still visible to your own team or do you land in some location following the invisible appearing ink trail?

inviso

Inkling
NNID
inviso87
You have me curious now, what do you see when you do? Is the player still visible to your own team or do you land in some location following the invisible appearing ink trail?
You jump to the invisible player when you click their name. Nothing fancy about it. On your screen, their squid has flown off the gamepad, so you can't click on their location, but you can still click their name and end up in their invisible location.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Server appears to be undergoing maintenance, and in the nick of time. Made me break from my terrible Tower Control session. TWO WINS away from A rank when I started about two hours ago. Both times my teams couldn't hold the lead during a desperate overtime push while my Heavy Splatling Remix and I respawned. Spent two entire matches locking down our advantage and it goes flub. Since then I spent the last two hours trying to get above A- 40. Salty salty night indeed.

Thank you server maintenance. Maybe the glitch will be resolved currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom