Pearl & Marina's Splatfests Were Better

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
The Characters were much better personalities, had better music, more unique Splatfest maps, and gave a better performance in Inkopolis Square.

Cephalobro

I don't know about the Splatfests being better. I thought the orange juice, fork and spoon, and toilet paper ones were kind of lame themes. And I really hated the Squid vs Octopus Splatfest.

TOD13

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
personally i like the splatfest music from S3 better, though i prefer the splatfest stages from S2. as for the actual themes, i like both games', though the S2 EU-exclusive fests were kinda weird.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
i miss the shifty stages tbh, it made the splatfest that more exciting and interesting!
each shifty stage had something special about them that made it more fun.
and although i like the concept of Tri color matches..when it comes to maps it's either a hit or a miss there is no in between.

but 1 thing Splatoon 2 was definitely better at were maps...the Splatoon 2 maps werre just alooooot better then all the new maps in Splatoon 3.

Cephalobro

To me, it seemed like some of the Splatoon 2 Splatfests were really because developers were running out of ideas. Seriously, who the heck cares that much about toilet paper alignment preferences?

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
All Splatoon games had good & bad Splatfest topics. But the difference between Shifty Stations & Tricolor maps are no contest. 3's Splatfests are still fun, but definitely a downgrade from 2

Tac

Inkster Jr.
Never played Splatoon 2 but I will say I think the idols giving the map rotation announcements from onstage is a nice touch, very immersive. I wish Splatoon 3 did something similar, Deep Cut announces the stages from their studio and then it immediately cuts to them performing in the plaza? Maybe there'd be issues with them giving the announcements together on day 1 when they are riding separate floats but I don't think having the halftime + day 2 map announcements be done onstage would be a problem. Also, shifty stations. Wish they carried those over. Tricolor is cool and all but I honestly would take shifty stations over it.

I will say that Splatoon 3's splatfest music completely blows 2's out of the water though

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Never played Splatoon 2 but I will say I think the idols giving the map rotation announcements from onstage is a nice touch, very immersive. I wish Splatoon 3 did something similar, Deep Cut announces the stages from their studio and then it immediately cuts to them performing in the plaza? Maybe there'd be issues with them giving the announcements together on day 1 when they are riding separate floats but I don't think having the halftime + day 2 map announcements be done onstage would be a problem. Also, shifty stations. Wish they carried those over. Tricolor is cool and all but I honestly would take shifty stations over it.

I will say that Splatoon 3's splatfest music completely blows 2's out of the water though
3's music is alright but Color Pulse is deffo better than the new Splatfest theme

Tac

Inkster Jr.
3's music is alright but Color Pulse is deffo better than the new Splatfest theme
Probably a taste thing, I'm not really a big fan of synth or vocal heavy music. I can't really get into Color Pulse, I can't help but feel it's so empty and quiet during Pearl's rap. Anarchy Rainbow's multi-cultural samba feel and almost aggressive variety of instruments is much more my speed.

cryfecta

Full Squid
Pronouns
she/her
Switch Friend Code
SW-5691-3169-7019
i definitely have a bias for OTH over deep cut (love frye tho) but also shifty stations were just more hype than tricolor even if they were a bit hit-or-miss. I admit I had a ton of fun on barnacle and dime tricolor, the most fun I've had in the mode since sturgeon tricolor, but that came after a whole day of having to slug my way through repetitive turf war matches. That probably plays more into the flaws of the maps rather than splatfest itself, though.
It's probably part nostalgia and because I was newer back then, but splatoon 2 didn't give me that same feeling. Fest-unique plaza redesigns similar to splat2s would help a LOT with the novelty aspect. At least anarchy rainbow and tomorrows nostalgia today are amazing songs, and fest lets me grind catalog, so I can't complain too much.

cryfecta

Full Squid
Pronouns
she/her
Switch Friend Code
SW-5691-3169-7019

They could've at least altered the lighting/setting a little bit during the day one broadcast to make it feel more festive rather than just being prerecorded on some random day. Day 2 definitely doesn't have an excuse, though; I mean, the screen is right there. Surely it wouldn't have been that difficult... worldbuilding has always been a great part of splatfest and splatoon as a whole, lean into it a bit more!

Reactions: Tac

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom