• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Peeking Techniques & why Saltspray is unsuitable for competitive play.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
Hey all.

This thread is in two parts. First, I will be introducing some of the peeking techniques that exist in this game and how the game's physics and weapon hitboxes affect the game as a whole. Second, I will be putting forward the case that, as a result of these techniques, Saltspray Rig heavily favours one team over the other due to its reflective symmetry (as opposed to rotational, like every other map in the game).

Peeking
Peeking is a common technique in basically any FPS; those who play CS:GO are most likely to be familiar with it, but the idea of using a corner for cover and only exposing yourself from that corner just enough to take a shot on someone is one that is fundamental to shooters.

How this differs in Splatoon is, yet again, due to the fact that bullets come from the player's gun, as opposed to the player's camera origin or some other central point on their model. Observe that for every gun, the inkling holds their gun on the right side of their body:

This means that for all weapons, your bullets will be spawning from the right side of your player model, NOT the middle. As a direct result, how you peek corners will be different depending on which side of a corner you peek.

Observe how far out from the corner I need to stand in each image:

This effect is even more pronounced with Chargers, particularly the E-Litre, where the E-Litre need only expose a single foot and the gun barrel in order to fire around the right side of a wall, whereas they must expose their entire body to fire around the left side of a wall.

This affects every shooter, every charger, and every throwable (i.e. not seekers). I cannot tell if it affects Inkzookas, but I have no reason to suspect that it doesn't.

Implications
The main advantages to peeking the right-hand side of a wall (right-side peeking henceforth) are:
- Less hitbox exposure
- Less time needed to peek
- Less visibility to other players
- Time from exposure to first shot reduced
- Scopes are superior to non-scopes

Less hitbox exposure
Making yourself harder to hit is very useful for dealing with weapons that either rely on inaccurate sprays (jr, sploosh) or single, slow shots (gals), but it also has very specific and very powerful use cases.

The first is dealing with rollers. Any roller main will tell you how annoying it is to have your flick be partially blocked by a wall, and right-side peeking makes that virtually guaranteed to happen. The farther the roller is from the wall, the harder it is for them to hit you while you can still hit them just as well as normal. There is no right-side advantage for any rollers, as you can see here:

Which means that you can use right-side peeking to properly cover yourself against roller flicks in a reasonable percentage of cases, especially in longer-ranged engagements.

The second is in charger peek battles. Regardless of the context, the main threat to one team's charger is always the other team's charger; being able to win 1v1 against said charger is key to a number of maps, including Saltspray (which we'll get to later). Right-side peeking is the difference between exposing only about ten pixels of your hitbox versus your entire body.

Less time needed to peek
A simple concept, really; if you only need to take two steps out from the corner to shoot, that's going to be better than taking five steps out. You will be able to start shooting at someone you see around a corner sooner if you peek the right side than the left, and they will have less time to react to you. Given how slow some long-range weapons are to move, this is not an insignificant difference, as we'll come to in a moment.

Less visibility to other players
Seeing gun barrels, stray feet, or someone's Power Armour around a corner is not always guaranteed, and the time you have to react to seeing them without dying (particularly to chargers) is very limited when they're peeking from the right side of a wall.

Time from exposure to first shot reduced
This is where your theorycrafting comes in. JS takes 25 frames to fire the four shots it needs to kill (given that it fires on frames 1, 9, 17, 25). Each of those four shots travels for 11 frames to their target, and there's a 2 frame weapon raise time, giving a best-case TTK of 38. To take an arbitrary number, the JS needs to step 5 range units out from cover to be able to shoot from the left side, so let's call it 5 frames of visibility before it can shoot. This means the total TTK at max range is about 43 in the best case--which it will likely attain due to its high accuracy.

Now, consider the Splattershot. It takes 13 frames to fire its 3 shots to kill (1, 7, 13), has the same 2-frame raise time, and maintains max damage for about 6 frames. This results in a max-range TTK of 21. However, it's engaging around the corner that the CJS is peeking, and its inaccuracy means that it has to round the corner fully in order to reliably hit its three shots. This could take anywhere from 10 to 30 frames.

So even though the Splattershot has a better TTK and will almost always win a heads-up fight against a JS, if it has to engage from the left side of a corner, the time between engagement and getting three shots on its target is actually drastically increased.

Scopes are superior to non-scopes
Forgot to mention this in the initial write-up here: scopes zoom in on the origin of their shot, so you can actually see around corners when using a scope but you cannot see around corners without one. In other words, you actually increase your FOV by using a scope, instead of lowering it.

Regarding Saltspray Rig
Every map in this game but one has rotational symmetry, i.e. when you take one half of the map and rotate it 180 degrees, you get the other side of the map. Saltspray Rig has reflective symmetry, meaning one side is the mirror image of the other.

In rotationally-symmetric maps, one team's relative left side is identical to the other team's relative left side. On Saltspray, this is not the case; from the west spawn, the battlements are to the left, while from the right spawn, they're to the right.

You can already see how this might become a problem given how effective right-side peeking is. But perhaps Saltspray has a nice mix of advantageous positions across both spawns. Unfortunately, this is not the case. The western side is favoured in literally every peeking position but one.

Here's a video of what I'm talking about:

The biggest problem is encountered from east bats to west main/ramp. It is impossible to shoot between the cushion and the point without jumpshotting from the second step, and you must expose yourself so much to get shots on main that not only do you often fall off, but you also are completely open to shots from the position that west bats can use to hit both sides of main.

(the jumpshot in the second image can be used in the same way by the west side from a lower step, I just forgot to record it at the time).

Furthermore, sniping into mid heavily favours the west side. Not only are the shots easier and you are less exposed, but the spot on the west is not vulnerable to the opposing E-Litre on the eastern side bats.

Sniping north is also easier for the western spawn:

(observe that the eastern side has a foot hanging off the platform)

The only time where the eastern side is better is when you're sniping from behind the T-block... but that's hardly an advantage for the eastern side given that it's literally less than Sploosh range in difference.

Spawn camping from the west is much safer, since you can stand all the way back (the eastern forward elitre spot is the corner you see directly ahead in this image):

And the respective defensive side is further forward (easier to shoot) and has poorer angles on main:

And here's a shot that simply does not exist on the east side (CJS can use this spot as well):

These spots break all modes in some form or another. Given that Saltspray is already arguably the strongest E-Litre map, having this level of advantage on one side is game-breaking. Furthermore, winning mid (which is key to all modes) is much easier on the western side than the eastern, and the west ramp can be more easily defended with the barrel spot in the last image (that the east side literally cannot use). Both pushing into the east and defending from the west are easier. As a result, the western side has a significant advantage, which immediately raises the question of whether Saltspray can remain in competitive play.

A footnote regarding SZ@Bluefin:
Bluefin Zones does not have rotational symmetry, but for the most part, this does not actually affect how the map is played and does not seem to give one side an advantage over the other. This may be demonstrated to be false in the near future once we have a more thorough understanding of the map, but for now, Bluefin Zones is fine.

Last edited:

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
Made a few edits regarding scoped chargers and SZ@Bluefin.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Alright a few questions:

This is obviously a problem, but is it really so much of one that it makes saltspray completely unsuitable for competitive play? That seems like it may be a bit of an overreaction, but I'm not an expert on this so maybe you're right.

Does this affect some modes more than others?

Are there other places on saltspray where this is a problem? Logic would say there are.

Is there a way for Nintendo to fix this? Because it's a result of the basic principal of the map (reflection instead of rotation) I would imagine there isn't. Except Doom-style weapons where you shoot from your chest I guess?

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
Alright a few questions:

This is obviously a problem, but is it really so much of one that it makes saltspray completely unsuitable for competitive play? That seems like it may be a bit of an overreaction, but I'm not an expert on this so maybe you're right.

Does this affect some modes more than others?

Are there other places on saltspray where this is a problem? Logic would say there are.

Is there a way for Nintendo to fix this? Because it's a result of the basic principal of the map (reflection instead of rotation) I would imagine there isn't. Except Doom-style weapons where you shoot from your chest I guess?
As stated in the final paragraph, Saltspray is a particularly strong E-Litre map, and this makes fighting into every key section of the map much easier for the western side. Not only are some shots impossible from the eastern side (such as shooting west bats to east bats or shooting from the barrel at the bottom of the ramp into main), but all general vantage points favour the west side as well.

Is there any way for Nintendo to fix this? Short of spawning shots from the model's origin, no. Saltspray and any future reflective maps will all have this problem.

Does this affect some modes more than others? Yes. Zones is utterly broken. TC heavily favours the western side due to the ease with which they can block pushes (whereas east has to give up their 60-30 run more or less for free). RM was ****ed already, but now it's even more so.

Is it an over-reaction? I wouldn't say so. We have already seen teams abuse this, generally accidentally. Imperious 1 vs SS-C on this map heavily favoured my scope over Craft's because I had so many more options (that I abused and won us the game with). E-Litre battles in ranked heavily favour the player on the western side. It's a problem that has existed since the game came out that many recognised but few could put a finger on, and right-side peeking is the reason for it.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
P.S. Before reading my response please note that this is really helpful info for people to be aware of, this is a big issue with Saltspray and I'm personally planning to find a way around it. very helpful info tho.

I love chasing chargers so distracting wont be a problem. that being said, as a charger you better be watching your back because now those spots can be easily called out and dealt with. but regardless, this does change a lot of aspects of salt spray but i doubt it will be that much of an issue in the long run. I've seen people use these techniques before on that map and all it takes is someone who's oblivious to their surroundings.

now i'm not saying this isnt broken, this is a legitimate reason to say OH F*** NO to saltspray, but again there needs to be a counter to this. you cant rule out a map for something that takes a good amount of effort to set up. not everyone will be able to deal with this easily, people need to be smart, and with the really good info you've provided that's gonna help us plan for the future.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
everything you say here disregards that:
- this applies to every key part of the map; it's easier to win mid from the west, it's easier to hold mid from the west, it's easier to block a north beacon push from the west, it's easier to push to spawn from the west, it's easier to block catwalk flanks (because people still do this) from the west, and it's easier to win peek battles with the enemy sniper from the west. it's not just one or two areas.
- setting up on bats in the mid fight heavily favours the west side, since you can be completely invulnerable to the other charger and get shots on their players entering main
- "all it takes is someone who's oblivious" is not a valid argument in the context of competent teams.
- being predictable only matters if there is a counter to what you are doing. the counter to chargers is generally either zooka or other chargers; west side is favoured in both cases. also, the positions you have open to you on the west outnumber those on the east, so you're even more predictable on the eastern side.

that said, I did state that I am putting forward the case for banning Saltspray. outright banning it might be a little too hasty, but I don't see any angles from which the eastern side has an advantage that could counterbalance the respective advantage on the west.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Very interesting stuff.

If Nintendo changes the map (like they did with Urchin) to have more boxes or outcroppings to snipe from (using the right peek method) on the Eastern side, would that fix the problem?

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
Very interesting stuff.

If Nintendo changes the map (like they did with Urchin) to have more boxes or outcroppings to snipe from (using the right peek method) on the Eastern side, would that fix the problem?
It wouldn't fix the problem, but it would potentially make it minor enough that it can be playable again.

This is why I didn't make a fuss about Saltspray until now, even though I've been experimenting with right-side peeking for a week or so; it could have been that Saltspray had exactly what you're talking about here.

PKfuzzy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
idcreally
I know literally nothing about chargers but flanking on the elevators at start is easier from east side, so there's that

Power

Inkling Commander
I had done a similar thing on that box in walleye before the opponents hallway and was able to clear out opponents with ease.(3k Scope) Although that is not the type of advantage you are talking about here which favors one side over the other, it shows how deadly right side peeking can be. I had a feeling that the right side aim of the gun was something interesting...didn't know it could bring about the breaking of a map. Great information presented here.

D

Deleted Member

This is really huge. Having an advantage/disadvantage like this over the other side calls for a ban. Otherwise, we'd be OKAY with teams having an unleveled playing field.

Great job on explaining right-side peeking and how advantageous it is over left-side peeking, flc.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Let's not get ban-hammer happy, though.

I'll agree that this goes against fairness, but we really need to figure out all possible ways to deal with it. Might it cause any disadvantages for the western side? Now, the sniping spots are predictable. I dunno, something to think about.

Just throwing down what I'm thinking. I can't vouch for or against anything since I actually don't play.

(but I did actually like the concept of Saltspray. Shame to see the competitive community breaking it, but it must be done.)

Nihabz

Banned (6 points)
I'd rather see moray go before we get rid of Saltspray. Eliters pretty much make that map unplayable due to having full control over mid and because the map is basically just corridors in the form of ramps there is no real way to approach them

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
I'd rather see moray go before we get rid of Saltspray. Eliters pretty much make that map unplayable due to having full control over mid and because the map is basically just corridors in the form of ramps there is no real way to approach them
But that's not something that's physically wrong with the map necessarily, whereas this is something that's wrong with the way that the map is designed.

Easy fix. We hack the game so only inklings that spawn on the east side carry their guns to the left. There. Problem solved lmao

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
Let's not get ban-hammer happy, though.
I have seen a lot of hands being thrown up from you and aweshucks every time anyone from the community suggests banning something. Let them have a thorough discussion first before calling them ban happy, you might have your mind changed at the end of it all.

D

Deleted Member

But that's not something that's physically wrong with the map necessarily, whereas this is something that's wrong with the way that the map is designed.

Easy fix. We hack the game so only inklings that spawn on the east side carry their guns to the left. There. Problem solved lmao
Either that or Nintendo adds an update that allows you to swap which hand you're holding your weapon with on the go.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
I have seen a lot of hands being thrown up from you and aweshucks every time anyone from the community suggests banning something. Let them have a thorough discussion first before calling them ban happy, you might have your mind changed at the end of it all.
I just feel it's necessary to remind people to not get all whipped up about this. It's something that should come over time. It needs tested. by more that Imperious lobbies that are messing around. Like real application stuff too. And 100s of times.

Brings up a good point though. Anyone who's played CSGO or whatever other shooter games, how often are maps banned for reasons like this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom