• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Pokemon GO?

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I'm sorry that this topic sort of delves into some serious issues, but I feel it needs to be talked about.

I know there's a general thread for Pokemon, but there's something that's bothering me that I want to talk about specifically and it's Pokemon GO. Due to the nature of the topic here, I wanted to make a separate thread. I've heard a LOT about people being severely injured and even killed over this game because they were not careful. Do you think this is going to put a bad rep on Nintendo? I'm just worried since with the NX coming out the whole Pokemon GO incidents could lead to people not exactly trusting Nintendo's merchandise... But I am not sure about that. They're bound to push fixes for it, but they better do it soon incase more casualties show up. Last thing I want is someone close to me to get severely injured playing it.

Or really... anyone. Nobody deserves to get hurt like this. Nintendo should have kept in mind that people wont exactly regard the "Be aware of your surroundings" warning at the beginning if there's a Rare Pokemon in the middle of the street.

I'm personally avoiding Pokemon GO until this is fixed. My first experience with it put me nearly in the middle of a street at a rest-stop, albeit cars were going slow but my grandma called out to me and I instantly realized that I was acting subconsciously even though I knew to be careful and NOT go too far into the street. I could have gotten hit by an oncoming car if I wasn't careful and if traffic was moving faster.

I've seen my friends crossing streets with their attention fully on their phones instead of watching their surroundings. Nintendo really has to do something about this or more people are going to get hurt.

Rockenberg

CEO of Rockenberg
NNID
Rockenberg_Ltd
For those who don't know, this is what the Pokemon Go warning screen looks like:

Ignoring this message is a big issue in itself. Now I'd understand, if the warning lasted for like a split second or just didn't show up at all, but it does show up and takes the game like 15 seconds on average to load and that's more than enough time for you to read that little message at least 3 times. Arguably, it comes down to just using common sense when you play.

SpiralRhapsody

Full Squid
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
For those who don't know, this is what the Pokemon Go warning screen looks like:
(image shown above)
Ignoring this message is a big issue in itself. Now I'd understand, if the warning lasted for like a split second or just didn't show up at all, but it does show up and takes the game like 15 seconds on average to load and that's more than enough time for you to read that little message at least 3 times. Arguably, it comes down to just using common sense when you play.
I want to assume the game takes forever to load for the sole purpose of making sure this screen is seen several times.

Yeah, accidents somehow involving Pokemon GO make Nintendo and co. look bad no matter what (because people are people), but like, the game is designed so that you don't have to stare at your phone nonstop. There's audio and vibration cues to signal when something "happens" on the map.

Like, I'll totally be zoned out and be absorbed in the game if I'm somewhere relatively empty yet safe, but if I'm walking on campus or in the streets, the stupid Flareon can wait.

Maave

Inkling Commander
It would help if they a flipping notification sound. Vibration is not good enough, not noticeable, so as-is the game demands my attention

Beside that, the popular support is much larger than any neg rep they're getting. Waaay larger.

SpiralRhapsody

Full Squid
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
It would help if they a flipping notification sound. Vibration is not good enough, not noticeable, so as-is the game demands my attention
idk, my phone vibrates pretty aggressively so I always notice it. But I suppose everyone and their phone are different.

By the way, there is a notification sound every time 1) a pokemon appears on the map, 2) a pokemon is no longer on your notification list, and 3) a pokestop "activates" near you.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Beside that, the popular support is much larger than any neg rep they're getting. Waaay larger.
But what about the injuries and deaths that are happening. I sadly don't know which news reports are reliable, but I am worried about the safety of people playing. It's the injuries that are the reason I made this topic, since I feel the creators need to make their game safer and not allow pokemon to spawn in dangerous zones. They say they don't take responsibility for any injury, death, or et cetera too... which always striked me as upsetting when companies do that. It's especially upsetting if they don't even bother to fix it so it stops happening.

I dunno. Perhaps it's just me, but the whole game just doesn't seem worth it with the risks.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
People as a whole are stupid. Incidents like what's happening with Pokemon GO just readily brings this fact to people's attention a little more often. If it wasn't GO, it'd be some other activity.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
People as a whole are stupid. Incidents like what's happening with Pokemon GO just readily brings this fact to people's attention a little more often. If it wasn't GO, it'd be some other activity.
I suppose that makes more sense as to why they don't take responsibility for injuries. I just wish they'd take countermeasures to ensure that people are a bit less stupid- the whole thing with not putting pokemon on streets and whatnot would be a good start.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I suppose that makes more sense as to why they don't take responsibility for injuries. I just wish they'd take countermeasures to ensure that people are a bit less stupid- the whole thing with not putting pokemon on streets and whatnot would be a good start.
The whole reason companies put those "not responsible" disclaimers is because of the general lack of intelligence people have, they can put in as many safeties and regulations as they can and it might not be enough still.

Let me share a non-harmful example that's always stuck out in my mind. Back in the days of the Playstation 2, whenever games saved or saving was mentioned it would explicitly state that it was saving to a Playstation 2 8 MB Memory Card. Why the long disclaimer? Because people really were trying to stick Playstation 1 memory cards, or Gamecube memory cards, or even Dreamcast VMUs in one case into the system, and expecting it to work.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
The whole reason companies put those "not responsible" disclaimers is because of the general lack of intelligence people have, they can put in as many safeties and regulations as they can and it might not be enough still.

Let me share a non-harmful example that's always stuck out in my mind. Back in the days of the Playstation 2, whenever games saved or saving was mentioned it would explicitly state that it was saving to a Playstation 2 8 MB Memory Card. Why the long disclaimer? Because people really were trying to stick Playstation 1 memory cards, or Gamecube memory cards, or even Dreamcast VMUs in one case into the system, and expecting it to work.
Yeah, that makes a lot more sense since people really can be ...not that great.
I just was hoping that they'd aid in preventing some of people's stupidity with a few tiny fixes, but I guess it also makes sense if it'd be too difficult to program considering the locations of streets and sidewalks on the game are different everywhere and it'd take a TON of time.

Also wow- is this why they stopped using Memory Cards? (I bet not, but...)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Nah, Memory Cards evolved into today's ever-handy SD cards :P But yeah. There's a way to request pokestop and gym removal for dangerous/restricted places, and that's probably the best they can do all things considered.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Nah, Memory Cards evolved into today's ever-handy SD cards :p But yeah. There's a way to request pokestop and gym removal for dangerous/restricted places, and that's probably the best they can do all things considered.
At least there's that!

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I honestly guess that Pokemon GO is a good game, but I just have to stop focusing on the dangers that people get themselves into because they're stupid. I also have to make sure that i'm not stupid too and pay attention to my surroundings. I don't play seriously since i'm not a huge pokemon fan, but it's a nice pastime when i'm out. Just no walking in streets.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
How is it "subjective" that the game has no overarching goal and long-term gameplay right now? There's nothing to it currently beyond getting mons and claiming gyms for your team for the purpose of... claiming gyms for your team.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
How is it "subjective" that the game has no overarching goal and long-term gameplay right now? There's nothing to it currently beyond getting mons and claiming gyms for your team for the purpose of... claiming gyms for your team.
I suppose it's a fun activity for walking but that's all it is really. Even then I'd rather focus on where i'm going and look at scenery over my phone.
Hm.

Some people find that fun, you don't. And that's ok.
I know this probably wasn't at me, but I can see what you're getting at here. As someone that isn't much of a pokemon fan I personally guess I don't find it that fun and i've had bad experiences with getting too into games like this. I don't really like the idea of going to a pokestop with a lure since I hear about kidnappings utilizing that feature of Pokemon GO. I may be an adult but it's still scary to consider.

I feel my safety comes over having fun with this little mobile game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom