• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Pokemon moon and sun, who else is pretty hyped?

CrispyCroissants

Full Squid
NNID
CrispyCroissant
So I started falling out of love with pokemon recently (just a tad bit though, lost interest during X and Y and didnt really play ORAS) BUT WHEN THE DIRECT CAME UP ABOUT SUN AND MOON MAN WAS I HYPED UP?

So what do you think will be added? What do you think the plot will be seeing as they did space in diamond , pearl and platinum technically.

Do you think there will be a new eevee evolution announced like a dragon type? I just wonder, its so exciting honestly and Im very happy a new game is coming out.

AlsoDededork649

Pro Squid
NNID
DARandall4711
Definitely a Dragon, Dracoeon? Would be amazing. They're 100% going to do Mega Solrock and Lunatone, Mega Clefable, and something else. I'd love to see some old mechanics brought back (seasons, Pokemon following you in 3D) . SUN AND MOON HYPE!

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I wanna be hyped. I feel as though my Pokemon hype peaked in gen 4 and has steadily declined since then. XY were a pretty big letdown to me compared to Black and White which I felt was a much more well-rounded entry to the series with an emotional plot, fuller array of new Pokemon and more interesting characters/companions/villains/region. XY to me was "heres Pokemon in 3D, k have fun." Online battle was better, streamlined meta was great, customizable outfits, trading/wonder trades v cool, but it felt like it was missing the "soul" of previous games. I know this is a weird complaint to make, but it felt lacking in personality. Especially with a measly 64 new Pokemon, which would be alright but many of the designs were very poor in my opinion.

Anyway... the novelty of 3D wore off fairly quickly, and I didnt even bother with ORAS (the first time I never picked up a new pokemon game).

Soo..... Its too early for me to fanboy about Sun and Moon. Gen 6 games were a massive commercial and critical hit, so I think my opinion is a small minority, leading me to believe they are going to try to emulate the success of gen 6. "We can get away with only making 64 pokemon, lets try 50 this time." or "No one really cared about XY's flimsy plot, lets try for no plot this time!" or "People liked these easy dungeons and puzzles, maybe they won't mind having NO puzzles" or "People liked how easy it was to level up, so lets do away with levels altogether!!!!!!"

Of course the last couple are hyperbole, but I hope you can see what I'm getting at. Its getting more and more streamlined every time. I could understand some minor annoyances that have been alleviated since the earlier gens, like having doctors on route to heal pokemon, poison doesnt affect you outside of battle, TMs arent one-time use, etc. But XY was a joke of a game as far as challenge went. I cant comment on ORAS. But I hope Sun and Moon has a little more to offer in the core game. Gen 6 was rightfully rich in multiplayer and connectivity, but it felt like the actual quest was almost an afterthought. And it is becoming increasingly easy to obtain elusive legendaries which kind of diminishes their value in my eyes. If everyone has one, who really cares? It used to be so rare and special to obtain one and completing your Pokedex through legitimate means was an insanely difficult feat.

I'm starting to sound like a grumpy genwunner at this point, and really I'm not trying to be. I will always love Pokemon and I'll always stick around to see what the new games have to offer, but I cant blindly buy into hype anymore and use a little more discretion.

PORYGON.zip

Inkling
NNID
PORYGON.zip
I think that they need to keep legendaries like Landorus out, that will make me very hyped for sun and moon because the metagame has a chance to be very diverse like VGC 2014

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I'm both curious and afraid of what's to come with this 7th gen, I don't know exactly what more to expect from this franchise (maybe I'm getting moody enough) but I feel I'm not gonna be as surprised as I was on gen 5.
I know it's not fair to compare generations like this, but this is how I feel. I'll definitely buy and play it until the end because I enjoy the series, but not the as excited as before.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
X & Y were pretty underwhelming (main story-wise, the core mechanics only got better, of course), so no, I am not pretty hyped. Plus, Nintendo have been on a roll lately when it comes to ruining their oldschool great franchises (though two of them are developed by the same studio, Intelligent Systems, so maybe they are the problem... Plus, Pokémon isn't even developed by Nintendo, so in this sense I might be worrying for nofin. lol. Oh well).

That being said, I have been playing Pokémon since 1999 so of course I will play Sun and Moon. Hopefully they will bring character customization back in SM, as well as a deeper story (for Pokémon standards) like we had in Gen 5 and to a lesser extent, Gen 4. Oh and I loved that they added a fewer number of Pokémon in Gen 6, hopefully they will do the same in Gen 7. There are too many Pokémon already, less is more.

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
@birdiebee I really feel you on a lot of your points.

I heard quite a few different ideas for the plot of XY that were much better than what was ingame. (like having Malva be the leader of Team Flare rather than Lysander, who was pretty obvious) There wasn't much done with any of the rivals, either, which was a shame; I was hoping the greater number would mean something to expand the world a little bit.But ORAS's story was pretty good, IMO, they did some pretty neat things with it.

ORAS includes a chance to get most of the legendaries another time, and while that's nice for players just starting out, a lot of mine feel a lot less special now. I have a box filled with sets of three legendaries. (not trios, but three duplicates) It kind of takes out some of the fun of moving up your old Pokemon. (and a bit odd considering events like Regigigas in Gen 4 and the shiny beasts that tied into the movie in Gen 5)

I'm kind of wondering if the higher total is making them more cautious about adding more new Pokemon? I really wish that wouldn't be a concern, it's a lot more fun getting a whole new set and then looking through old ones. And a bigger number wouldn't necessarily be bad, exploring the region is a lot more fun when there's different Pokemon everywhere rather than finding the same ones in every patch of grass.

But I'm a bit too optimistic, and still have a lot of hype for these games. Between Pokemon Go and all the celebrating of their 20th anniversary (and talking about how "it all comes together"), I'm really looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
@birdiebee I really feel you on a lot of your points.

I heard quite a few different ideas for the plot of XY that were much better than what was ingame. (like having Malva be the leader of Team Flare rather than Lysander, who was pretty obvious) There wasn't much done with any of the rivals, either, which was a shame; I was hoping the greater number would mean something to expand the world a little bit.But ORAS's story was pretty good, IMO, they did some pretty neat things with it.

ORAS includes a chance to get most of the legendaries another time, and while that's nice for players just starting out, a lot of mine feel a lot less special now. I have a box filled with sets of three legendaries. (not trios, but three duplicates) It kind of takes out some of the fun of moving up your old Pokemon. (and a bit odd considering events like Regigigas in Gen 4 and the shiny beasts that tied into the movie in Gen 5)

I'm kind of wondering if the higher total is making them more cautious about adding more new Pokemon? I really wish that wouldn't be a concern, it's a lot more fun getting a whole new set and then looking through old ones. And a bigger number wouldn't necessarily be bad, exploring the region is a lot more fun when there's different Pokemon everywhere rather than finding the same ones in every patch of grass.

But I'm a bit too optimistic, and still have a lot of hype for these games. Between Pokemon Go and all the celebrating of their 20th anniversary (and talking about how "it all comes together"), I'm really looking forward to seeing what they come up with.
Delta episode was fantastic, explained many things and raised interesting theories. To me gave more value to ORAS, no battle tower and copying the same battle maison as XY was a letdown in my opinion.

I'm really afraid of trainers fusing with their pokemons like digimons, hope this doesn't appears.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Mostly I'm looking forward to learning when the pokemon bank becomes accessible so I can assemble a wacky custom team. I put in the effort to get every freakin' mon, you'd better believe I'm going to exploit this fact for the rest of the series :P

Nintendo543

Inkling
Yeah, I can't wait for Sun and Moon. Still, I haven't finished much of Y and AS yet! People often forget that Game Freak had to create 3D models of over 700 Pokemon for XY. Anyways, I can't wait for Sinnoh Remakes.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
gen7.jpg

saw these starters floating around. Thought I would share. Almost certifiably fake given the reliability of Pokemon "leaks" but here they are.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I can only hope those are fake, they look extremely doofy.
All of them look better than.. Froakie.

I think a grass bird is a cool idea, though. Its probably my favorite of these three designs. The fire one is just like a less-cool Litleo, so kind of redundant. No comment on the water. o_O

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
You could do what I generally do and ignore absolutely anything to do with the game, then just get it when it comes out. I mean, you're probably going to have a grand time regardless, so why bother with details, right? :P

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
I kind of did that with X/Y, mostly because I was out of the loop and didn't even know they were coming out until around 3 weeks before release

I mean, with Pokémon, the games are usually so "safe" that you can probably be guaranteed to like the next iteration if you've enjoyed the previous ones, give or take depending on new and/or returning features, the new pokemon, any new mechanics, etc

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
For me the disappointment with X/Y wasn't the game itself but how it seemed to be rushed out incomplete and ended way too fast. It wasn't a SHORT game, but you're kind of playing along thinking "this is great, this is the most streamlined, playable pokemon yet and the world is so aliv....wait...I'm at the legendary battle now? And now it's almost done?? Now I'm the master?? It built up to a climax for a long time and then just kind of stopped it right there. I think the pressures of the 3D world caught GameFreak off guard a bit.

I'm not sure if they fixed that in ORAS yet, I haven't actually opened it yet (curse you Splatoon!) but as that's technically a remake I imagine not. So Sun & Moon kind of promises to be the first "full length" game of the streamlined 3D world era.

But Pokemon has a whole lot of tweaking to do to combat the rise of Yokai Watch. Hopefully it can evolve enough to stay as relevant!

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
You're not too far off...

I was literally refreshing the youtube page until the trailer came out. I thought about it for a while, but now i know i'm picking moon and choosing the owl. That leaf bow tie is adowable and the moon legendary is so majestic.

Japanese trailer which shows a bit more footage and kinda has that nostalgic feeling to it:

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I do like that grass type starters have been recently more varied. They used to be all reptilian or at least reptilian like and only by 6th gen did we get a mammal and now we got a bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom