• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

[Poll] Which Camera Controls Do You Use?

Which Camera Controls Do You Use?

• Total voters

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
Im so pro with motion controls and get over ~1100 Points in every match but without the Motion Controls i cant even beat the singleplayer mode xD

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
I use both, generally the right stick for quick left and right movements and the motion controls for aiming and quick up and down.

Emlee

Inkling
NNID
BraixenPaw
I am a bit obsessed with the motion controls now. At first I thought it would be convoluted but it grew on me fairly quickly. :)

Mayana

Full Squid
NNID
wolfxdog
Motion controls, they just feel easier and more fluid for me. Use the right stick for rapid left-right camera movement.

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
Motion controls baby. If I didn't need to press a button to jump, I'd consider donating my right thumb to charity.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
I use the analog stick, as I just feel more comfortable with it in shooters. I do feel like I haven't given motion controls enough of a chance though, I'll probably try it again sometime soon.

isk

Inkling
Motion controls, sensitivity 2. I use the analog stick for walking around though. I'm starting to get the hang of using them in conjunction during hectic fights.

Indy Wolfy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
CheveyoWolf
I use the right-stick mainly with sensitivity at 0 (although I should lower it), I tried motion controls but I spaz out to easily and just end up getting rekt and besides COD has prepared me for this moment :D

AfroGamerNinja

Inkling
NNID
FluffyWarlock
I use the right stick. Because I hated doing the tutorial with the motion controls. I had to constantly reset the camera.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
At first, I thought about using the R-Stick alone to control the camera, but then I realized I tend to aim better with motion controls. That said, I had to set my motion sensitivity down to something that wouldn't leave me spinning wildly, though the trade-off is that I can't react quickly enough when someone gets me from behind.

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
In my experience, the stick controls in Splatoon are inferior. Not because motion controls are inherently better or anything, moreso because they did a bad job of designing them. I started off with stick controls, and had a lot of trouble aiming, the stick controls are way too touchy and that resulted in me missing a lot of my shots. I lowered my sensitivity down to -5 and just as @Dragoniss was saying, that allowed me to aim, but it made it impossible to turn quickly. I found myself losing out more often then I felt I should have so I went over to gyro controls.

These days I use +1 gyro because that feels best for me. I'm not saying that choosing to use stick controls is bad or anything by the way, I just think Nintendo needs to improve their design in this game to be more on par with other shooters. You shouldn't have to sacrifice the ability to turn just so you can aim properly, that's what turn acceleration is for, or whatever it's called.

DakotaBonez

Full Squid
Im curious as to what all the A rank players are using.
Personally I can't stand how imprecise the stick controls are...they just feel wrong, like the people making this game didn't know how to make good stick controls. I can't quite place whats so off about them...

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
Im curious as to what all the A rank players are using.
Personally I can't stand how imprecise the stick controls are...they just feel wrong, like the people making this game didn't know how to make good stick controls. I can't quite place whats so off about them...
I had that same feeling, so I stopped using the stick controls, but the other day I went back and tried them out to figure exactly what it was about them that threw me off. I just now went and played Battlefield Hardline to compare the controls. The problem I ran into is how the sensitivity on the stick works in Splatoon. The range of speeds you can turn at from lightly tapping the stick to holding it all the way down is much smaller than in a game like Battlefield. Basically, when you lightly tap the stick you're turning at a speed that's much closer to the max speed than it should be. This makes refined aim practically impossible on any sensitivity but the lowest, in my opinion. And as a result, on the lowest sensitivity you lose the ability to turn around quickly.

Another problem is that the upward and sideways turning speeds are the same. In Battlefield Hardline, your vertical sensitivity is lower than sideways sensitivity, which just means that you turn around faster than you look up and down. That works well in a shooter, because the player is turning all the way around frequently, but only ever looks a moderate distance beneath and above the center of the screen. Think of how often you look straight up or down, and also the fact that you cannot continuously turn up to face behind you (wouldn't that be something). The motion controls kind of capture that perfectly, you're only going to tilt the gamepad so far upward or downward, so the gyro controls can cover that aspect, but you have to turn all the way around, so the stick lets you do that.

Man that was a lot longer than I thought it would be. TL;DR: The stick sensitivity in Splatoon is unrefined which makes minor adjustments to your aim impossible on higher sensitivities, and makes turning around a pain on the lower ones. I'm not saying that stick controls in general are bad, just that the ones in Splatoon could use some work.

Star

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Skywarp96
I've been using both, trying to get the hang of motion controls. I actually use the lowest sensitivity... as I do with most shooters. I guess I just spaz out on the stick too much, because I always have a hard time. The first day of Splatoon was difficult, because I don't think the sensitivity is low enough for me. It just feels like it moves much too fast at times, but I've gotten more used to it.

iNinja5567

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
iNinja5567
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think analog controls are accurate at all. I can never hit anything with the r-stick alone.

Robochao

Full Squid
NNID
Robochao
I use a mix of the two:

For horizontal movement, I find it easier to use the R-stick.
For vertical movement, I use the gyro.
The Wii U pad's dimensions (and your wrists) make it much easier to snap vertically. To snap horizontally, you need to turn your whole forearm.

It's about the milliseconds, dawg.

Maybe my style will mean more when I hit A rank, though ;)

Marco

Inkster Jr.
I mostly use motion controls. Took me a while to get used to them but they are much more accurate. I have my sensitivity set to +2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom