• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Poll: Which game is the least balanced?

Which game is the least balanced?

• Super Smash bros for Wii U & 3DS

• Splatoon 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer

I want to settle this once and for all.
My god Smash Tier lists are terrible. Unlike Splatoon where everything could be considered viable if played right, in competitive smash you will almost never see low tier characters. In Splatoon you can still see E Litres, Dyanmos, Hydras, they just might take more skill.

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
My god Smash Tier lists are terrible. Unlike Splatoon where everything could be considered viable if played right, in competitive smash you will almost never see low tier characters. In Splatoon you can still see E Litres, Dyanmos, Hydras, they just might take more skill.
I really agree that you see low tier characters in Smash rarely. And I also agree that you can often see "lower tier" weapons in S+ lobbies.

But the teams that have these weapons lose most of the time. :- P

Woomyapple

Full Squid
NNID
Apple
Switch Friend Code
SW-2793-7212-9515
I am not a fan of how Smash 4 was handled. I don't think it's the worst Smash Bros. game, but I think it's overrated. Tiers were always bullshit in my eyes and it feels like Smash 4 purely depends on character tiers. It feels more like "This character is so much better because they do more damage and can do this gimmick well" and less "I'll try to get better with this character." I almost always see a Cloud, Bowser, Ganondorf or a Bayonetta every time I play For Glory.

Also, I despise how some of the stages in Smash 4 have hazards that can entirely screw you over. Every Smash game is guilty of this, but I personally feel that Smash 4 is the worst offender. Some Splatoon stages has hazards too (Those darn trucks in Port Mackerel) but you can easily recover from them and they don't do damage to you. 9 times out of 10, if a stage has hazards in Smash 4 then it will do damage to you or it will be an OHKO. There's a reason that nobody liked Norfair in Brawl.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
I am not a fan of how Smash 4 was handled. I don't think it's the worst Smash Bros. game, but I think it's overrated. Tiers were always bullshit in my eyes and it feels like Smash 4 purely depends on character tiers. It feels more like "This character is so much better because they do more damage and can do this gimmick well" and less "I'll try to get better with this character." I almost always see a Cloud, Bowser, Ganondorf or a Bayonetta every time I play For Glory.

Also, I despise how some of the stages in Smash 4 have hazards that can entirely screw you over. Every Smash game is guilty of this, but I personally feel that Smash 4 is the worst offender. Some Splatoon stages has hazards too (Those darn trucks in Port Mackerel) but you can easily recover from them and they don't do damage to you. 9 times out of 10, if a stage has hazards in Smash 4 then it will do damage to you or it will be an OHKO. There's a reason that nobody liked Norfair in Brawl.
(cough)Bayonetta(cough)

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310

Wait, they let you say bullshit on here? I couldn't even say ****y (chicken-y) last time I tried!

Woomyapple

Full Squid
NNID
Apple
Switch Friend Code
SW-2793-7212-9515
Wait, they let you say bullshit on here? I couldn't even say ****y (chicken-y) last time I tried!
I've seen worse things said here. I just assumed that I could say that. I'm still a bit wary about cursing here due to the many different age groups in this website.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Sakurai...just why. Tier a have always been horrible. What if I don't want puff to be low tier garbage. Honestly I am all for all the characters move sets the same, just with cosmetic changes
Now everyone will hate me

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
Since SBs employs an automatic Language detection feature, I'm guessing anything you *can* say aside from perhaps more modern slurs that might not be in its system, is probably fair game. I don't swear(mostly) in any setting where I'm staff or anything and I don't exactly encourage it, but I don't think you're about to get warnings.

So as not to be a completely off topic post, I think it might be slightly unfair to compare entirely different genres of game, buuuut I think Splatoon might be a bit more out of balance? I haven't played Sm4sh in years and never did so competitively, so all of my information is peicemeal meta information, but there's quite a bit in Splatoon that flies under the radar as "bad" (Squeezer for instance) whereas there's more opportunity to make a character work in Smash and generally fewer variables to affect viability than one might experience in Splatoon.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Smash 4 might be less balanced, but the thing is, even the worse characters have some redeeming qualities or at least play differently enough to make them not feel like a total waste, unlike Splatoon 2 where the E-Liter is just the Splat Charger with ankle weights.

Reactions: the

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Smash 4 might be less balanced, but the thing is, even the worse characters have some redeeming qualities or at least play differently enough to make them not feel like a total waste, unlike Splatoon 2 where the E-Liter is just the Splat Charger with ankle weights.
Or the squeezer is the worse version of two weapons

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
While I do think there are a lot more "bad" characters in Smash (all of them), many of them are more balanced than they appear. No one took Mega Man seriously for a long time, until someone figured out how to make him work and suddenly took him to the top ranks of championships. Looking at the tier list on Smashboards right now, it's very little like how I remember it when I was playing. Partially that's because I stopped before Cloud and Bayonetta came out, who've always been considered good, but Sonic, Rosalina, Sheik, and Mewtwo weren't anywhere near A back then, and Ganondorf, Falco, Dark Pit, Greninja, and Shulk were near the top of the list.

That said, there are only a couple of weapons in Splatoon 2 that are generally considered to be complete rubbish, and require a ton of skill to use competitively. There are a lot of Smash characters like that.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
The problem with smash bros is honestly there is so much information that is built in to each of these characters that it become a very....very difficult task to balance
think about each character has
4 basic moves
4 heavy attacks
4 aerial attacks
4 throws
and
4 special attack (plus 12 other custom special abilities that everyone forgot about)
there are 58 character in smash 4 so...

58 x 20= 1160 moves that they need to analyze

On top of that they also have to consider the percentage of damage dealt the distance the hitbox from the character the amount of knockback and hit stun that move would cause to a character, and the direction that character will be sent after being hit with that move....
Then character have different weights and mobility that come with super armor or make a character easier to kill
and then......of that there is the percentage algorithm that will change the knockback and hit stun of move once above certain percents, and the general unintended glitches like 2 framing a player at ledge

Lastly the most difficult part to all of this, a characters move set has to coincide with the game the character come from
Bowser could easily have a dashing punch that lauching foes, but he never does that in his game and would be totally out of character

In all honestly Splatoon 2 has it a lot easier to patch and balance cuz honestly there is a whole lot less to keep track of
.....most of what they keep track of is mobility, range, ink consumption, special charge and rng
So Smash bros is honestly more broken cause there are so many pieces you need to analyze and adjust while still keeping the character true to their game and honestly no matter how much adjusting you do something will always end up on the top and be just a lot little bit broken

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
The problem with smash bros is honestly there is so much information that is built in to each of these characters that it become a very....very difficult task to balance
think about each character has
4 basic moves
4 heavy attacks
4 aerial attacks
4 throws
and
4 special attack (plus 12 other custom special abilities that everyone forgot about)
there are 58 character in smash 4 so...

58 x 20= 1160 moves that they need to analyze

On top of that they also have to consider the percentage of damage dealt the distance the hitbox from the character the amount of knockback and hit stun that move would cause to a character, and the direction that character will be sent after being hit with that move....
Then character have different weights and mobility that come with super armor or make a character easier to kill
and then......of that there is the percentage algorithm that will change the knockback and hit stun of move once above certain percents, and the general unintended glitches like 2 framing a player at ledge

Lastly the most difficult part to all of this, a characters move set has to coincide with the game the character come from
Bowser could easily have a dashing punch that lauching foes, but he never does that in his game and would be totally out of character

In all honestly Splatoon 2 has it a lot easier to patch and balance cuz honestly there is a whole lot less to keep track of
.....most of what they keep track of is mobility, range, ink consumption, special charge and rng
So Smash bros is honestly more broken cause there are so many pieces you need to analyze and adjust while still keeping the character true to their game and honestly no matter how much adjusting you do something will always end up on the top and be just a lot little bit broken
Well saying the amount of moves that each character haves would even be an over statement, because some characters like Bayonetta have other moves.

Masahiro Sakurai himself even stated:

Link to Source
Sakurai: If people want to play seriously 1v1, they should do that, and if people simply want to enjoy the game, they should do so. There might even be people who only like to play with their amiibo. I think it's good that there are so many different ways to enjoy this game.

Q: So, then, this is good...

Sakurai: "Mmm. Personally, I feel that if you want to play a fighting game seriously, there are other competitive fighting games that are more suited to that, and people like that could have fun playing those. If you play Smash Brothers seriously as a competitive game, the game itself has no future. If we direct Smash ONLY at the competitive players, it will have no future.""

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Part of what makes Smash so great is that it is a fighting game that is rather easy to pick up and play but also rather difficult to master and strategize with. With so many different variables it becomes a true nightmare to balance everything completely. Meaning that they focus more on fixing things that were actually unintended or things that make the game less fun for many people and not just the competitive scene. Anything left over after that will either get looked at eventually or will be left to those in the competitive scene to learn to get around. Honestly, I am fine with that, but it brings me back around to the question at hand. Which is least balanced? Smash for sure, but I prefer it that way if I'm being honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom