Rainmaker Mode Coming Tomorrow

Ars Nova

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
creed32
Switch Friend Code
SW-5634-9921-9888
It also looks like if a team drops it and doesn't reclaim it right away it reforms its barrier.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
So basically the opposite of capture the flag where you have to take it to the opponents base instead of your own. Looks exciting but I'll save my judgments till I get to play it. Looks like most games won't go to stalemate because of how quickly you are able to advance with it.

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
So basically the opposite of capture the flag where you have to take it to the opponents base instead of your own. Looks exciting but I'll save my judgments till I get to play it. Looks like most games won't go to stalemate because of how quickly you are able to advance with it.
It has potential to be as stally as Tower Control, due to players having to focus fire on a bubble for a few seconds and just having to push into the enemy base. But it also has potential to not be so bad because you aren't on a rail like with TC.

TheSpeedyMouse

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheSpeedyMouse
This is basically reverse capture the flag where the flag is a weapon that shoots ink tornadoes. It sounds pretty similar to Tower Control on premise, but it in reality it is very different with the fact that there is no path you have to follow and there is a barrier you have to burst to get the Rainmaker.

I'm so excited! :D

Manta

Senior Squid
Since there's now three ranked modes, I hope they start doing something where the mode is random/one of two like the maps are. That way we don't have to wait forever if you don't like the one particular mode that's on.

Pyritie

Full Squid
NNID
Pyritie
Since there's now three ranked modes, I hope they start doing something where the mode is random/one of two like the maps are. That way we don't have to wait forever if you don't like the one particular mode that's on.
I'm guessing they'll go something like TC -> SZ -> RM -> TC -> etc

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
Looking forward to giving this a whirl when it hits. Sounds a bit odd, but I'm sure once I actually start playing, it'll become a lot more intuitive.

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
I'm guessing they'll go something like TC -> SZ -> RM -> TC -> etc
I hope they fix the map rotations when RM gets added. I'm so done with Towers, Triggerfish, and Mall.

unforgiven

Inkster Jr.
Awesome, a reverse Capture the Flag mode. This time, you're not slowed down by the item you're trying to get in the enemy's base.
From what I've read, you cannot super jump at all when bringing the Rainmaker. I wonder if there is a way to drop it yourself to give it to a teammate.

Unreal Tournament had a translocator weapon to move around the map super quickly (related to super jump in this context). You can't use that weapon to score the flag in your base, but if you used it, the flag would automatically drop.

It looks like you can use your special weapon when bringing the Rainmaker.
I wonder what happens if you start using Kraken :|

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Still pretty surprised this is coming so early after the big update. Pretty excited and I am happy the rainmaker doesn't make you as slow as I thought it might.

dapperlace

Pro Squid
Awesome, a reverse Capture the Flag mode. This time, you're not slowed down by the item you're trying to get in the enemy's base.
From what I've read, you cannot super jump at all when bringing the Rainmaker. I wonder if there is a way to drop it yourself to give it to a teammate.

Unreal Tournament had a translocator weapon to move around the map super quickly (related to super jump in this context). You can't use that weapon to score the flag in your base, but if you used it, the flag would automatically drop.

It looks like you can use your special weapon when bringing the Rainmaker.
I wonder what happens if you start using Kraken :|
I now have the mental image of a Kraken spewing ink tornadoes everywhere when it spins instead of what usually happens. And I have this post to thank for it.

LuNeTakaneko

Inkling
NNID
LuNeTakaneko
This looks so fun, I feel like it'll be better on smaller stages since everyone's near the main objective better (might be scary on Moray if it doesn't paint walls well). I really wanna see the changes to the maps to fit to the mode.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
So the surrounding area is covered in the ink of the team that pops the rainmaker's barrier which is nice for

clearing out the enemy team briefly. I honestly don't think run speed of swim speed is going to make much of a difference when carrying the rainmaker.
I hadn't considered that. The Rainmaker probably negates Ninja Squid in some way, but Swim Speed Up should be fairly useful.
And yeah, I can see Rollers being useful here. Not so much Killer Wails, but that's just personal opinion.
Well obviously this needs reconnaissance testing. And as for killer wails, think of it: How many people are going to keep a cool head and shoot through the tunnel? (they'd be too concerned by getting near the special) And even then, the wail's reach is long enough to cover while stages in one stretch, not to mention it cancels all subs.

Reactions: 1o2

Ars Nova

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
creed32
Switch Friend Code
SW-5634-9921-9888
Well obviously this needs reconnaissance testing. And as for killer wails, think of it: How many people are going to keep a cool head and shoot through the tunnel? (they'd be too concerned by getting near the special) And even then, the wail's reach is long enough to cover while stages in one stretch, not to mention it cancels all subs.
Yeah I had thought of the kill wail as one of the better specials for this mode given that it takes less to fill up and the fact that several courses are in a straight line like Walleye Warehouse. I am really curious as to how this would play out in courses like Bluefin Depot or Moray Towers.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
Yeah I had thought of the kill wail as one of the better specials for this mode given that it takes less to fill up and the fact that several courses are in a straight line like Walleye Warehouse. I am really curious as to how this would play out in courses like Bluefin Depot or Moray Towers.
Plus, you can even lock some foes in their base for extra time. I know this is going to be one of the more effective specials, people won't realize how impeding it will be for them.

Reactions: 1o2

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Ah, I just realized aiming the Wail at the Rainmaker before it's picked up is probably gonna be a decent way to ensure your teammate grabs it (since the other team gets wrecked if they enter the dubstep tunnel).
Wait, Killer Wail cancels Disruptors and Point Sensors? Never knew that. Not sure how useful that knowledge'll be, but killing Disruptors is a nice bonus on the Wail.
And yeah, first thing I'll be doing tomorrow night when Rainmaker drops is testing Ninja Squid with the Rainmaker in a match.

Plus, you can even lock some foes in their base for extra time. I know this is going to be one of the more effective specials, people won't realize how impeding it will be for them.
Yeah, I've had that happen to me in Tower Control once. We wouldn't have won anyway, but damn, getting splatted right outside my spawn point sucked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom