• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Rainmaker Mode Coming Tomorrow

1o2

Inkling Cadet
If this was Etika's youtube comment section, I would make a really bad pun with the name of this gamemode, and insert a lenny face.

Crisium

Inkling
NNID
Crisium
I think at this point Capture the Flag (2 flag variant) would offer something more unique than Rainmaker (1 flag). Rainmaker ultimately is just a 1 flag CTF (less dynamic than 2 flag) with a unique weapon tied to the flag and a shield on the idle flag to slow down transitions.

I like that Splatoon is unique in their modes. But I already view Tower Control as a very unique form of 1 flag CTF. Rainmaker is closer to Tower Control than a 2 Flag CTF would be.

Rainmaker and Tower Control both focus on getting ONE item of attention from the middle to the enemy side. Rail, unique weapon, etc. they are different to be sure but closer to each other than 2 flag CTF is.

Think about how different the 2 flag CTF is. When both teams have their own flag in their base. You simultaneously have to balance offense and defense at all times. If you rush all 4 players to the enemy base you take the risk of someone sneaking around and grabbing your flag unopposed and making good progress before you can respond. If you try to play too defensively and try a 2-2 offense/defense split though you risk getting overwhelmed in engagements. It's much more hectic and requires a greater game awareness to monitor two flags.

Just some thoughts. I look forward to a new mode, but I can't help but feel a nice traditional 2 flag CTF would offer something better. There is a reason 2 flag CTF is so revered in classic shooter games.

DeeWee UNub

Full Squid
NNID
HOPE_Glimmer
Rainmaker looks very interesting. I hope it works well and suits competitive play. I just hope games don't finish too quickly in this gamemode. I guess we'll just have to wait.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I think at this point Capture the Flag (2 flag variant) would offer something more unique than Rainmaker (1 flag). Rainmaker ultimately is just a 1 flag CTF (less dynamic than 2 flag) with a unique weapon tied to the flag and a shield on the idle flag to slow down transitions.

I like that Splatoon is unique in their modes. But I already view Tower Control as a very unique form of 1 flag CTF. Rainmaker is closer to Tower Control than a 2 Flag CTF would be.

Rainmaker and Tower Control both focus on getting ONE item of attention from the middle to the enemy side. Rail, unique weapon, etc. they are different to be sure but closer to each other than 2 flag CTF is.

Think about how different the 2 flag CTF is. When both teams have their own flag in their base. You simultaneously have to balance offense and defense at all times. If you rush all 4 players to the enemy base you take the risk of someone sneaking around and grabbing your flag unopposed and making good progress before you can respond. If you try to play too defensively and try a 2-2 offense/defense split though you risk getting overwhelmed in engagements. It's much more hectic and requires a greater game awareness to monitor two flags.

Just some thoughts. I look forward to a new mode, but I can't help but feel a nice traditional 2 flag CTF would offer something better. There is a reason 2 flag CTF is so revered in classic shooter games.
This is true. Hopefully a 2-flag CTF of some sort (capture the Zapfish has been tossed around on these boards several times, I believe) will be implemented in a future update.
Still pretty excited about Rainmaker though, looks like a Tower Control I can enjoy, primarily because the Tower replacement is SUPER INKZOOKA not fixed to a rail, opening up new ways to reach the goal and requiring different defensive tactics than TC. Can't wait to see how it goes!

Ars Nova

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
creed32
Switch Friend Code
SW-5634-9921-9888
Also it appears that the rain maker has a 60 second timer on it and if you are holding it after the 60 seconds it explodes.

cool6012

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Cool6012
If this was Etika's youtube comment section, I would make a really bad pun with the name of this gamemode, and insert a lenny face.
Lemme channel Etika's comments for you *COUGH* "I want Young Ramsay to make it rain white ink on me ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)"

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Looks awesome! Only problem I see with this is that I can see the potential for spawn camping using the shachihoko.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Looks awesome! Only problem I see with this is that I can see the potential for spawn camping using the shachihoko.
The Rainmaker explodes normally after 1 minute, and explodes faster if you retreat. What I worry about is using this to teamkill in lower ranks.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Shachihoko? What's that?
But yeah, that could be annoying. Still, if you're that close to their spawn point with the Rainmaker, I think priority number one will be getting to the knockout point, rather than spawncamping. Could get annoying, but you've probably already lost if that's happening.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
Shachihoko? What's that?
But yeah, that could be annoying. Still, if you're that close to their spawn point with the Rainmaker, I think priority number one will be getting to the knockout point, rather than spawncamping. Could get annoying, but you've probably already lost if that's happening.
A mythical tiger-headed fish that is known for bringing storms, basically the Rainmaker itself

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
A mythical tiger-headed fish that is known for bringing storms, basically the Rainmaker itself
Oh, that's a nice touch. I like it. Thanks for the knowledge, mate.

The Rainmaker explodes normally after 1 minute, and explodes faster if you retreat. What I worry about is using this to teamkill in lower ranks.
Nah, I'm sure it'll only splat the holder if it explodes, nearby teammates'll probably be fine.
I haven't seen the explosion yet though, so does anyone know how that works yet? Does it damage enemies? Could I rush into enemies with it during the last second to lighten the load for my teammates to more easily get it back by exploding on two or three enemies (I admit the above scenario is so unlikely as to be almost impossible to do in-game, but I'm still curious)?

Last edited:

Wi-fi Calcium

Inkster Jr.
NNID
gabby14
A few take-aways from what I've seen

*Unlike Tower Control the rainmaker can be taken almost anywhere in the level. . I'd assume part of the winning strategy is knowing what path to base would be most advantagous for your team.

*It will probably the most strategic mode in the game based on what I said above. It was interesting to see the higher ranked players play this mode.

*This mode you'd need to rely on your teammates more than any other. There are lots mistakes you'd wouldn't want make here. Just like Tower Control small mistakes could cost your team the game.

*It appears as if you can superjump with the rainmaker. Interesting. I'm certain Squid Beacons will be more than handy here.

cool6012

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Cool6012
A few take-aways from what I've seen

*It appears as if you can superjump with the rainmaker. Interesting. I'm certain Squid Beacons will be more than handy here.
How did you come to that conclusion? That would be incredibly game-breaking + we already know that you can't superjump with it.

Wi-fi Calcium

Inkster Jr.
NNID
gabby14
How did you come to that conclusion? That would be incredibly game-breaking + we already know that you can't superjump with it.
Whoops. In one of the videos it appeared to be moving ridiculously fast didn't realize you could swim very fast with it.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Does the rainmaker take away your subs/specials? Does it use your ink? Will it be more like Tower control and have those inkable blocks to open up more pathways or more like splatzones where they don't have that since you aren't supposed to really go into the other team's turf.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Does the rainmaker take away your subs/specials? Does it use your ink? Will it be more like Tower control and have those inkable blocks to open up more pathways or more like splatzones where they don't have that since you aren't supposed to really go into the other team's turf.
In the videos I've seen, they did indeed alter the map (Underpass) to make it easier to get to the middle.

CAPTURE THE DEATH TORNADO FISH CANNON

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
In the videos I've seen, they did indeed alter the map (Underpass) to make it easier to get to the middle.

CAPTURE THE DEATH TORNADO FISH CANNON
inb4 matches where no one wants to pick up the fish.
Yeah I just noticed that-I love when they alter maps for each mode.

SP3CT3R

Full Squid
inb4 matches where no one wants to pick up the fish.
Yeah I just noticed that-I love when they alter maps for each mode.
I think that, contrary to TC, everyone is gonna fight over the rainmaker. Hopefully you don't get extra points for bringing it to the altar. (Yes, I'm calling the volcano thingy an altar just because.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom