• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Rainmaker mode - what will it be?

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
I'm thinking it will be a control mode in which there is a tower or beacon of some sort that must be defended for a longer amount of time etc.
Atop this tower or beacon will be the Shachihoko which can be controller with a single (or multiple?) squids who defend the tower with it.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Interesting idea about parts, maybe there are four parts and each squid can only carry one, when all 4 squids in a team collect one part the rainmaker "activates" for that team. The part could slow down the Inkling so it makes them an easy target and more difficult for the whole team to gather all parts.
Yeah, I can certainly see it having to be a team effort where everyone has to contribute. And like the other team can steal a part from the other player and claim it as their own. So like there would either be a total of 8 parts, or maybe something like 6 forcing the teams to interact against each other more. Of course you would only need 4 to complete it.

Regiruler

Inkster Jr.
The name somewhat implies covering a large area with a lot of ink, but the only ideas I can come up with are too close to turf war.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
It's very mysterious. I imagine you have to shoot ink in or out of that horn thing, maybe? No idea.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Secret mode, obviously it involves rain. Maybe you'll have to rain down your ink on the stage ?

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I think the objective is to do something to trigger the rainmaker, which would then make your color of ink "rain" on the map, not sure how it would be more effective than using your own ink to splatter the map, or if they can disable your ink from painting the map somehow.
Could be spraying an area in the map that is not accessible. I feel like the fish thing is not going to be able to be picked up and will be attached to a structure of some sort...

BoTalksGames

Pro Squid
Content Team
NNID
BjFauble
I could see it being a deathmatch mode where the rainmaker is similar to the Golden Gun from Goldeneye. Really the only thing I can think of...

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
Maybe it's a objective based turf war? One team takes control of the fish somehow and it slowly starts covering the map in that teams ink? One team defends as much turf as they can, then they switch sides?

Skyward

Inkling
NNID
Skyward9
My first thought was that it would be a bit like Oddball from Halo, where you had an object you had to carry and you gained points as long as you held onto it, team or player with most points when time runs out wins. But after looking more into it, it seems to be something else entirely especially with the shachihoko symbolism and name.

luigisly

Full Squid
That looks to me like a big shachihoko, a mythical creature known for shooting water out of its mouth at great speed. They can be seen atop nearly every Japanese castle, as it is believed they can summon the rain, and will protect the structure from fire. That makes me think this mode will have a lot of ink sprayed around...
Based off of this background it might be a mode where one team defends a castle like structure with this thing at the top and the goal is to disable it by reaching the top of the castle. Do this while it is raining the opposing team's ink color randomly around the map.

DE235

Full Squid
NNID
Decrosis
It could do with the two teams trying to take control of the thing and using it to wipe out the other team.

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
I think it'll be a survival thing, where the golden fish object would rain ink down on the map and you have to repaint the ground so that you can escape from it.

It's unlikely, but that's what came to mind when I saw it in the Direct.

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
My theory is it's similar to a control point type of game mode.

=Once a match starts, a countdown begins. At the end of the countdown, a rainmaker will appear in a designated spawn point. Teams must fill the rainmaker with their ink. If there's any enemy ink within the rainmaker, it will deplete as you will it with yours.

Once a rainmaker is completely filled with a team's ink, it will spew ink all around its general area, and the team that triggered it will receive a point. Once a team has two points (or however many points is deemed appropriate), or whoever has more points when time is up, wins.

Fate

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Fate684
I think it could be a mode that's similar to Turf War in that the team with the highest percent of ground covered wins, but with the addition of a super weapon pickup that spawns in a central location. The Rainmaker being a far more powerful weapon for spreading ink than the standard ones, but with no attack power and slow speed, leaving the user vulnerable. It'd likely cause a large shift in strategy as it's no longer just about spreading ink as the team with the Rainmaker would have a large advantage so it'll put a lot more focus on offense and defense based tactics and lead to more team fights.

Deku

Senior Squid
NNID
Rolandd
A tower defense game? You capture certain areas with the statues (which makes it rain, making it hard for opposite team to get close). Have more statues than the other team for a certain amount of time wins you the game. Probably too similar to the other ranked mode . . .

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
It might also actually spit out water washing away both teams hard work and splattering squids, etc. It was never said to explicitly help one team or the other.

Mithical1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mithrandir37
I'm pretty sure this mode will be like Halo's Oddball where a person can pick it up and then it helps them in some way like raining their color ink around the player. The player then probably takes it into the other team's base like a capture the flag. I will be really surprised if it's not something like that.

Niliks

Pro Squid
NNID
Niliks
I have this image in my head where it spawns in the center and one Inkling can carry it It rains a small dome of water around itself while carried so the carrier can not ink swim, but can still be attacked. Then you try to carry it to the other team's base, and if you get it there then that team wins. If the carrier is splatted than it drops and the other team tries to do the same.

hinata2000100

Inkster Jr.
It's probably a capture the flag mode like everyone else is proposing, but I can't shake the (completely baseless) feeling that it's this game's version of a Team Deathmatch mode. Like I said, I have nothing to back that theory up, it's just what I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom