• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Rainmaker mode - what will it be?

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
@Citanul I digress. You see, Squid ink is actually water proof.
Yeah. They even referenced this on the S.R.L Tumblr page so I'm sure they thought of this.
Somewhere there was an interview about how the inklings do battle for competitive sport and that the colored ink from the guns is biodegradable and stuff. I can't find the article at the moment, but it is true real life Squid ink is oil based and, thus, waterproof.

Niliks

Pro Squid
NNID
Niliks
I remember one of the devs made an offhand comment that this was "special ink that...disappears in three minuets time." during e3 Not exactly a written explanation, but it goes in line with the concept you mentioned.

Sheikashii

Senior Squid
NNID
OreoCookieJAF
Im going to take a wild guess and say that the point of the mode will be to find and fill that item with your teams ink. Filling it enough to overflow it which sets it off and raining your teams ink all over the map.
damn that sounds pretty spot on!

Mithical1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mithrandir37
I have this image in my head where it spawns in the center and one Inkling can carry it It rains a small dome of water around itself while carried so the carrier can not ink swim, but can still be attacked. Then you try to carry it to the other team's base, and if you get it there then that team wins. If the carrier is splatted than it drops and the other team tries to do the same.
That's exactly what I imagine it as. Except I hope it is a little bit more complicated/unique. Like you have to take it to the other team's base AND you have to cover that base in your color or something extra like that.

StarHunter789

Pro Squid
NNID
Linestar777
Here is my theory for what Rainmaker is. It is a very weird twist on Juggernaut. One person gets this super overpowered weapon, the Rainmaker. But it doesn't shoot ink. It shoots WATER. Inklings HATE water, as seen in the Camp stage with water; if they fall in water, they die and need to respawn. So, if one player is given the Rainmaker, he/she can really destroy the rest of the players, as well as washing away their ink on the ground. I also think the Rainmaker will have some sort of armor to make that player bulkier.

To me, the main goal of the mode would be that the "Juggernaut" or Rainmaker would have to either take something from the other team or defend something with their overpowered abilities. While the other players just need to defeat the Rainmaker to become the new Rainmaker. Whoever is the Rainmaker at the end of the game wins. Or some other win objective.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
Here is my theory for what Rainmaker is. It is a very weird twist on Juggernaut. One person gets this super overpowered weapon, the Rainmaker. But it doesn't shoot ink. It shoots WATER. Inklings HATE water, as seen in the Camp stage with water; if they fall in water, they die and need to respawn. So, if one player is given the Rainmaker, he/she can really destroy the rest of the players, as well as washing away their ink on the ground. I also think the Rainmaker will have some sort of armor to make that player bulkier.

To me, the main goal of the mode would be that the "Juggernaut" or Rainmaker would have to either take something from the other team or defend something with their overpowered abilities. While the other players just need to defeat the Rainmaker to become the new Rainmaker. Whoever is the Rainmaker at the end of the game wins. Or some other win objective.
**** man, I never realized how much I wanted a Juggernaut mode in the game until now.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
At first for some reason I kept thinking about it making ink rain, but also linking it to the ultimate goal of covering terrain, the same as turf war, but seeing other Ranked Battles are more objective based, I'm now inclined to believe it is also objective based and not something around terrain coverage like turf wars.

Maybe it is like a weapon at the center of the map, and when picked up it is always showering ink to protect the inkling or you can use it to shoot at enemies, but at the same time while the inkling carries it a timer counts down, if no one is carrying it the timer stops, whatever team is holding it at the last second wins.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
Maybe the rain maker is a stage hazard that instead of laying down ink, it completely gets rid of it.

Jiggly

Senior Squid
NNID
Jiggly101
I'm guessing it's splatoon's version of Juggernaut. You become the rainmaker, and its 7 v 1. That would be a lot of fun xD

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
I know this sounds odd, but what if Rainmaker is a point-based goal? Maybe if gaining access to the rainmaker grants players to literally rain their ink over their opponents and ground, then they'd gain a lot of points, right? That's how points (or basically p which is experience and I think money) works. If you continuously cover ink in bare areas or over others ink, you gain a ton of points. However in the regular battle, what matters is territory in the end, not the points gained. Rainmaker could be the other way around. Also, let's say there isn't any points to gain because most of the field is covered in ink and there aren't bare areas, so what happens next? Taking out opponents would be the next step since that also grants a lot of points.

Perhaps this is where a team may be so overwhelmed, that they need help, so the rainmaker comes into play, to give the losing team a chance to fight back. Now, as of how players get access to the rainmaker, I'm not to sure, but maybe once a certain threshold is reached by the winning team, the losing team can deploy the rainmaker when they can (or it can be deployed automatically?). I'm sure there are bound to be balancing issues in my theory, but that's my take on the Rainmaker.

Any thoughts?

StarHunter789

Pro Squid
NNID
Linestar777
I know this sounds odd, but what if Rainmaker is a point-based goal? Maybe if gaining access to the rainmaker grants players to literally rain their ink over their opponents and ground, then they'd gain a lot of points, right? That's how points (or basically p which is experience and I think money) works. If you continuously cover ink in bare areas or over others ink, you gain a ton of points. However in the regular battle, what matters is territory in the end, not the points gained. Rainmaker could be the other way around. Also, let's say there isn't any points to gain because most of the field is covered in ink and there aren't bare areas, so what happens next? Taking out opponents would be the next step since that also grants a lot of points.

Perhaps this is where a team may be so overwhelmed, that they need help, so the rainmaker comes into play, to give the losing team a chance to fight back. Now, as of how players get access to the rainmaker, I'm not to sure, but maybe once a certain threshold is reached by the winning team, the losing team can deploy the rainmaker when they can (or it can be deployed automatically?). I'm sure there are bound to be balancing issues in my theory, but that's my take on the Rainmaker.

Any thoughts?
Hmm, so you mean for example that when a team gets to a certain point value, they gain the Rainmaker? And then the Rainmaker is some sort of weapon or item that just rains your team's ink down on large sections of the map? It could be interesting. But what if both teams get to the "Rainmaker acquiring point total" at the same time? To they both get the Rainmaker? Do neither of them get it? Does the Rainmaker spawn on the map and someone from your team has to get it? That could be a cool idea. Also, what if the objective of Rainmaker is to get points by washing away ink already on the map? And you get points by inking the walls and stuff, then you try to get the rainmaker to wash away the other team's ink already on the ground. It would basically be Turf War in reverse. Mario Sunshine mode?

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
Hmm, so you mean for example that when a team gets to a certain point value, they gain the Rainmaker? And then the Rainmaker is some sort of weapon or item that just rains your team's ink down on large sections of the map? It could be interesting. But what if both teams get to the "Rainmaker acquiring point total" at the same time? To they both get the Rainmaker? Do neither of them get it? Does the Rainmaker spawn on the map and someone from your team has to get it? That could be a cool idea. Also, what if the objective of Rainmaker is to get points by washing away ink already on the map? And you get points by inking the walls and stuff, then you try to get the rainmaker to wash away the other team's ink already on the ground. It would basically be Turf War in reverse. Mario Sunshine mode?
See, that's just it. I'm not sure how is the best way of gaining the rainmaker (although the spawning mechanic might be interesting). There are obvious problems with my idea that you just stated, so there must be ways to remedy those problems. I think that if both teams are going to get the rainmaker at the same time, they are essentially gonna play the waiting game (waiting to see who will deploy first, so there's really no way around this unless an extra game mechanic is added, or if the rainmaker mechanic ideas were tweaked.

I do like the idea of the Mario Sunshine mode you mentioned. I had a similar idea like this not too long ago (before Rainmaker was announced), and that the players were basically crabs and I called them "Clean Crustaceans". Back to the Mario Sunshine idea, I thought the rainmaker would makes it rain ink a few times throughout the match, and the team to gain the most points by removing the most ink wins. I could see it working that way.

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
I've been thinking that this will kinda work like Ridley in Smash Wii U. The Rainmaker is that big fish that reigns down terror on both teams, but eventually one team can gain control of the Rainmaker and target the other team. Maybe the Rainmaker tries to destroy each team's base, but can only do so when controlled by a specific team, so the longer you have control of the Rainmaker, the quicker you get to destroying the other team's base?

Last edited:

StarHunter789

Pro Squid
NNID
Linestar777
I've been thinking that this will kinda work like Ridley in Smash Wii U. The Rainmaker is that big fish that reigns down terror on both maps, but eventually one team can gain control of the Rainmaker and target the other team. Maybe the Rainmaker tries to destroy each team's base, but can only do so when controlled by a specific team, so the longer you have control of the Rainmaker, the quicker you get to destroying the other team's base?
This is a solid idea. I like the thought of the Rainmaker being a sort of neutral force that just is acting on the map and your team has a chance to take control of it.

TheRapture

Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
This is a solid idea. I like the thought of the Rainmaker being a sort of neutral force that just is acting on the map and your team has a chance to take control of it.
Yeah that's immediately what I thought when I saw a golden fish with a cannon in its mouth. Size that thing up huge, have it reign over the map, causing terror randomly until a team does enough damage to it to gain control of it momentarily. I thought "rainmaker" was referring to how it would be big, over the map, raining ammunition down onto the players from its cannon.

Niliks

Pro Squid
NNID
Niliks
Also, let's say there isn't any points to gain because most of the field is covered in ink and there aren't bare areas, so what happens next? Taking out opponents would be the next step since that also grants a lot of points.
Actually this wouldn't work, which is unfortunate because I agree it's a pretty neat idea, and I like how much of it you got down. They have already confirmed that the points that you get for splatting an opponent are not because of the actual splat, but the ground the explosion it makes covers, so splatting an opponent on your own ground actually gives no points.

StarHunter789

Pro Squid
NNID
Linestar777
Yeah that's immediately what I thought when I saw a golden fish with a cannon in its mouth. Size that thing up huge, have it reign over the map, causing terror randomly until a team does enough damage to it to gain control of it momentarily. I thought "rainmaker" was referring to how it would be big, over the map, raining ammunition down onto the players from its cannon.
If this is truly how it works, what type of ammunition do you think the Rainmaker will release before it is taken control of? My gut instinct says water since the Inklings don't like water.

Edit:

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
Actually this wouldn't work, which is unfortunate because I agree it's a pretty neat idea, and I like how much of it you got down. They have already confirmed that the points that you get for splatting an opponent are not because of the actual splat, but the ground the explosion it makes covers, so splatting an opponent on your own ground actually gives no points.
Aww... Well that sucks. It's cool though. Even if they made it so you get points for splatting someone, there are still flaws in my ideas that need addressing.

TheRapture

Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
If this is truly how it works, what type of ammunition do you think the Rainmaker will release before it is taken control of? My gut instinct says water since the Inklings don't like water.
If it one-hit KOs you, that would suck. I was thinking big cannonballs of paint or something, but it's neutral paint. Or maybe just big cannonballs that explode and deal damage. Maybe the neutral paint would deal damage, too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom