• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Rainmaker - The CTF we...... Hoped for?

Would this be a mode you would play?

• Yes - Seems fun!

• No - Too chaotic!

Results are only viewable after voting.

OrenjiBoy135

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
OrenjiBoy145
According to this, Rainmaker is apparently reverse CTF.

You and your team rush to the Rainmaker, and bust it's shield. Then you have to get it to the enemy base, under the protection of your allies.

The catch is that you become too heavy to super jump, and the Rainmaker itself is on a time limit when grabbed; Taking too long or suffering a splatter makes you drop it, giving it time to renew it's shield! Thankfully, it supercharges your shots to the point where it's a free Inkzooka, but only while you're carrying it.

If it gets to the goal (as in the enemy spawn), it's considered a knockout. If time runs out, the winning team is the base who's the farthest away from it.

Last edited:

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
I am hyped as hell for this mode. CTF is my favorite game mode in TF2. Although, i'm waiting to see exactly how it affects speed, because inkbrush could be stupid good in this mode.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Sounds similar to Assault from Halo, which I actually prefer to CTF on a lot of maps. I also think that's it's more well-suited for Splatoon considering how the maps are designed for a "tug of war" gameplay.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Wait, dude, this is an amazing twist.
The thing about CTF in other games, say, TF2 is after you cross a certain point on the map, even if it isn't the cap zone, it's pretty much yours since if the carrier dies, another one of their nearby allies can just pick it up, relay it if you will.

In Rainmaker, this isn't possible at all, as you're forced to push past and through the enemy lines, meaning the closer you are to the goal, the more dangerous it is to cap since now the enemy team can find and get you easily.
BUT if you die and drop it in their base, now THEY'RE forced to push YOUR team since they literally have no other option else they lose the round. This game mode promotes all out war because everyone is going to be be in everyone's business ALL THE TIME.

I'm so excited for the game mode, it's stupidly well designed.

Osmo

Inkling
NNID
Osmo_007
tbh... kinda feels the same as towermode... except the tower moves on its own accord and you need to carry the rainmaker

non the less i have no doubt that its gonna be fun... its been ages since i had genuine fun with a shooter and splatoon just delivers in a strange way

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
Wait, dude, this is an amazing twist.
The thing about CTF in other games, say, TF2 is after you cross a certain point on the map, even if it isn't the cap zone, it's pretty much yours since if the carrier dies, another one of their nearby allies can just pick it up, relay it if you will.

In Rainmaker, this isn't possible at all, as you're forced to push past and through the enemy lines, meaning the closer you are to the goal, the more dangerous it is to cap since now the enemy team can find and get you easily.
BUT if you die and drop it in their base, now THEY'RE forced to push YOUR team since they literally have no other option else they lose the round. This game mode promotes all out war because everyone is going to be be in everyone's business ALL THE TIME.

I'm so excited for the game mode, it's stupidly well designed.
So... Payload or GrifBall?

CoopLan

Squid Streamer
NNID
LanceHS
I am so excited to see how the match dynamics will change due to the objective being quite strange (strange being that you bring it into their base, not away from it), I'm very eager to play this the minute it drops.

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
If there is any mode that will breath new life into this game, its rainmaker if everything that is said about it is true. I like Splat Zones, separates the Squids from the Kids, but seriously can be nerve wrecking because of how dominated either side can be. Like sure it can happen in Rainmaker too, but it seems like doing anything will be a lot harder, and require a lot of team work to effectively nail anything down.

Azure J

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AzureJay89
Against better judgement, I popped into this thread despite wanting to be surprised by the mode whenever it's launched. Now I am stupidly hyped for this. This is the idea I had a while back for a team based "race" where the primary racer had to be supported by their team all the way back through a course versus the other team hoping to screw your team over. It's so rad.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Thankfully, it supercharges your shots to the point where it's a free Inkzooka, but only while you're carrying it.

If it gets to the goal (as in the enemy spawn), it's considered a knockout. If time runs out, the winning team is the base who's the farthest away from it.
I am super hyped for this mode. It looks super fun, allows for constant action, strategy, and seems like one of the best game modes from a viewer's standpoint. However I really hope the person carrying the rainmaker doesn't actually have an inkzooka, as someone who loves it and destroys people with it, it is giving waaaaay too much power to the flag bearer when they should be at a disadvantage. I can see the defending team getting wrecked by people good with the inkzooka

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
I don't like that it ends as a knockout after 1 capture. Kind of silly if you ask me. I don't see why it wouldn't be a set timed game (like most captures in 5 minutes or 8 minutes or wtv) or at least first to 3 or 5 captures depending on the map or difficulty of capture.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I don't like that it ends as a knockout after 1 capture. Kind of silly if you ask me. I don't see why it wouldn't be a set timed game (like most captures in 5 minutes or 8 minutes or wtv) or at least first to 3 or 5 captures depending on the map or difficulty of capture.
Hmm a good point. Perhaps because it is really hard to score the point? Like if your team is on the offensive headed to the enemy base, this means the enemy doesn't have to travel as far to get back into action so your team has to constantly hold off people which seems pretty tough to me.
But Idk haven't played it xD. At least for tournaments in august you could do Bo3, Bo5, or w/e.

OrenjiBoy135

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
OrenjiBoy145
However I really hope the person carrying the rainmaker doesn't actually have an inkzooka, as someone who loves it and destroys people with it, it is giving waaaaay too much power to the flag bearer when they should be at a disadvantage.
Well, the person holding the Rainmaker HAS to be able to carry their own weight, so they are given Inkzooka power. And even then, it's on a time limit.

A line from the tutorial: 'The Rainmaker can also shoot ink like an Inkzooka, so you can clear a path!'

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Well, the person holding the Rainmaker HAS to be able to carry their own weight, so they are given Inkzooka power. And even then, it's on a time limit.

A line from the tutorial: 'The Rainmaker can also shoot ink like an Inkzooka, so you can clear a path!'
Yah I know :/ I do think its a crazy amount of power. Like I would've given the person carrying splattershot junior gun with no special or sub but of course that won't happen.
When they are talking about the time limit I am assuming that they mean the person can only hold onto the rainmaker for a time limit? Or that you possibly could have inkzooka powers for a time limit?

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
I don't think the Inkzooka thing is a big deal. The Rainmaker carrier's objective is to move towards the capture point before the timer stops, and firing the Inkzooka would cause them to stop moving and get knocked back a bit by recoil. It seems like something you'd want to use sparingly, because if you keep firing it you'll just go nowhere and end up dropping the thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom