Ranged Blaster: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

Travelingpik

Full Squid
NNID
travelingpik
Just feels slow and boring for me, I cannot do range weapons lol.

Abysmal Range but incredible power and rate of fire. The problem with its range is only a unsolvable problem when you literally run directly at them, if youre playing that way its awful anyways and the only good range in the game is really the squelchers or chargers. It's not as bad as you make it out to be or imply (Really with the aerosprays?)

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Just feels slow and boring for me, I cannot do range weapons lol.

Abysmal Range but incredible power and rate of fire. The problem with its range is only a unsolvable problem when you literally run directly at them, if youre playing that way its awful anyways and the only good range in the game is really the squelchers or chargers. It's not as bad as you make it out to be or imply (Really with the aerosprays?)
I think you should make it clear if you're talking about Luna Blaster in the Ranged Blaster thread.

Rex

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Xerhid
I kept getting rekt by this damn thing earlier this morning by an Asian player. Actually my whole team was pwned. She kept dipping into ink and just seemingly outranged all of us. I tried to close in on her, but never could.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
The weapon isn't bad but it's not great either. Fire rate is really slow but the blast does pack a hard punch. Range is about the same as N-Zap and Ttek. I'm not sure Splash Wall is good sub for this weapon though. Who is going to be dumb enough to engage with this up considering how powerful it is? All it does is make people flee, robbing you of the chance to splat them. As for its special, Inkstrike, it is neither a good nor bad special to have for it.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I kept getting rekt by this damn thing earlier this morning by an Asian player. Actually my whole team was pwned. She kept dipping into ink and just seemingly outranged all of us. I tried to close in on her, but never could.
Wait, what weapon were you using? There should be a way to bait the low fire rate and close in with your own ranged options.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
The extra range is nice, but the fire rate and how notable the accuracy drop is then you jump will keep me away from that weapon for now

Rex

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Xerhid
Or the Sploosh-o-Matic.
I was using a ttek in Kelp. She was mostly hanging around the middle just blasting anyone who came near. The other challenge was that someone on the opposing team also kept activating Echolocate. Regardless, during every engagement with her, I would just get blasted. Suggestions would be much appreciated.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I was using a ttek in Kelp. She was mostly hanging around the middle just blasting anyone who came near. The other challenge was that someone on the opposing team also kept activating Echolocate. Regardless, during every engagement with her, I would just get blasted. Suggestions would be much appreciated.
Throw a Sprinkler to distract her, and maybe even kill her if she doesn't utilize her fire rate and gets hit 3 times. And ink long lines to build up the Killer Wail, then aim it in her general direction for the kill.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
I really like it. The splat walls are a great addition, and are better suited than tracers for the range blaster. The rate of fire is a bit worse, but it isn't too bad. I've gone from getting about half of my kills from splash damage, to almost all of them 1 shorting because of the range. However, due to the fire rate and further optimal distance, it can be harder to do splash damage in close quarters and, in general, can be taken down pretty quickly if you let people rush you down.

RiDEL

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RiDEL_Puff
The Custom Range Blaster will come with Splat Bombs and the Kraken, if that would be a prefered loadout.
Splat Bombs are my favorite sub in the game by a long shot. Kraken though is something I hate, a lot. I just don't find enjoyment out of using it and it feels like a brainless crutch to avoid death. I would much prefer Bubbler since I would need to aim to get the kill but the Kraken just rubs me the wrong way. I'll see what happens when it drops.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
From my testing, this thing is deadly at jump-shooting. If used that way, I'd dare to say it's way better than the standard Blaster (loadout aside). Since the rate of fire is so slow, you can jump, shoot, go back into squid, swim for a bit and jump to fire again before your next shot is ready, which also increases ink efficiency. I also was able to get one-shot splats on a near miss like with the Luna Blaster, so I'll have to see if it's possible with the regular Blaster too o_O

I really don't want to fight someone who masters this thing :confused:

Edit: All Blasters (except the Rapid Blaster) can get one-shot splats on a near miss. I guess it makes the Luna Blaster a bit less special o_O

Last edited:

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I honestly find this thing a great weapon for ranked. The key is, after firing, if you enter squid form for a moment, it can fire again sooner (closer to the rate of the regular Blaster), and bypass some of the recovery period. The fire rate is still not great, but the range and sheer power can allow you to safely harass opponents, while the regular has to get somewhat close to splat, and the rapid has abysmal base power. Splat Walls are one of, if not the best sub abilities, and it can help protect you while attacking or defending a zone/tower/rainmaker, and can support your whole team. Inkstrikes are okay, they can be useful but they are hard to charge in ranked and highly situational. (The custom version gives it a Kraken, but replaces walls with Splat Bombs). The only real letdown is close range combat, when the range can be a problem and send missed shots behind your foes, but Splat Walls and retreating can help keep your distance.

As with abilities, Attack Up is great for securing KO's, Ink Resistance Up is good on everything, Ink Recovery Up and Swim Speed Up are good for swimming through shot recovery, and both Ink Savers work well to keep your tank safe after throwing a Splat Wall.

Topazrekerboy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
janspinoy
AHHH THIS WEAPON IS AWESOME!!!!!

This thing is OP on basically everything!(It's a TC killing machine!) I use it and it's too OP! I range from about 20 kills each game! I don't know why AI like it so much. Maybe it's the range.

Speaking of range, don't think just because it's two inkling steps more it's useless. It make a big difference in battle of you try. It's hard it explain but you can see the range difference.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
AHHH THIS WEAPON IS AWESOME!!!!!

This thing is OP on basically everything!(It's a TC killing machine!) I use it and it's too OP! I range from about 20 kills each game! I don't know why AI like it so much. Maybe it's the range.

Speaking of range, don't think just because it's two inkling steps more it's useless. It make a big difference in battle of you try. It's hard it explain but you can see the range difference.
As with the range, the original blaster relies on getting close to opponents to splat them. As such, even medium range weapons like the Splattershot pose a threat due to their high kill power. Missing a shot often dooms you.

With this, you not only gain the ability to counter mid range weapons, you generally gain a safety cushion from being able to stay back behind. Much better if you want to guard a single point, and Ink Walls (and the Custom's Kraken) increase your survivability. Sure, it has weaknesses (Awful at close range, low fire rate, Inkstrikes are meh), but I would say it's just as good, if not better, than the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom