• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ranked Battle (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker) Discussion

TheReflexWonder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheReflexWonder
That's because Swim+ is likely the best single stat you could have on the vast majority of weapons. It's useful even when you're not firing, and when people are shooting at you, they're not swimming, so you still outspeed them in important scenarios.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
I'd like to give great advice but I'm bad at the squelchers so I can't :) I know I don't like it when a good one is on the other team though.

I'm not sure if this will help but here's a video of the gamer Fow using the jet squelcher and custom jet squelcher. Maybe it'll give some pointers.

it is not that great, and sorry for bit off topic but i seen some people hate the wail change? at 8:23 it is very hard to see where the edges are and I had someone in C- complain that having dark blue is harder then other colors to see. Most of the time i cold not see it, it was from being behind a wall. (like right next to the wall) Also motion controls would saved him a few times esp not long before that 8:23 moment.

Last edited:

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Fed up with Splat Zones now, given it so many extra chances and it refuses to co-operate. This mode was fine at the beginning when there were less weapons and skill, but now it's intolerable altogether. High ranks equal one sided matches, with one team capturing the objective and proceeding to spawn camp. The issue is unlike Tower and Rainmaker, where you push into enemy territory, you are in no man's (squid's? :P) land, so the objective gets easier as you take control of more of the centre and push towards their half of the map and spawn camping to stall out the timer for easy wins.

Dual zone maps are better (bar Port where Splash Walls and Killer Wails are OP) since you traverse back and forth into friendly and enemy territory to capture both zones. Ultimately matches still go the way of single zone matches, and is just not fun. It's got to the point where I am now refusing to play Zones in solo ranked. I've tried different weapons, flanking, taking the zones and all sorts of strats, yet most of my matches end in knockout defeats (yesterday was ridiculous, Kelp & Ancho-V). What makes things worse is that zones is an every other rotation, making it far too common, with a rare exception here and there (like today, which screwed me over and has given me Zones on Skatepark and Triggerfish, this is my last try with zones) and it simply isn't fun.

Crimsoninkling

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
BramWildenberg
Last Friday I ranked down from B+ to B and then didn't play ranked for some time. So this morning I was one victory away from ranking up aggain. But then there was a rage quiter.

fishupie

Inkling
NNID
fishupie
Anyone have any tips for Blackbelly splat zones? I'm horrible at this map and everytime it comes on rotation I just crumble down...I dropped from B70 to B30 just now :^( (The only match I won was in Ancho-V which im pretty decent at)
I've been meaning to rank up to B+ for a few days now but everytime I get to the higher tier of B (like about B80 or so) some kind of squid goddess just says "Haha no" and then I get hit by a horrible losing streak _( :3

Last edited:

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
Anyone have any tips for Blackbelly splat zones?
Try to get the "tower" in the middle of the map. That's what you want to have on this map. If you have the tower you can easily take both zones and you can harass people who're respawning on the enemy side. Watch out though, because the bad guys try to do the same as you.

And sometimes it's better to get map control then both zones. You need to know when's the right moment to capture both zones, or turf enemy ink.
Also try to spawn camp because that's sometimes very easy to do in this map.

Hope I helped a little bit! Have a nice day!

fishupie

Inkling
NNID
fishupie
Try to get the "tower" in the middle of the map. That's what you want to have on this map. If you have the tower you can easily take both zones and you can harass people who're respawning on the enemy side. Watch out though, because the bad guys try to do the same as you.

And sometimes it's better to get map control then both zones. You need to know when's the right moment to capture both zones, or turf enemy ink.
Also try to spawn camp because that's sometimes very easy to do in this map.

Hope I helped a little bit! Have a nice day!
I see, thanks for the advice!
Everyone's always fighting for the middle tower it seems xD;; Also I dislike spawn camping (and being spawn camped) because it feels like cheating, but maybe one day I'll be forced to do it hahha;;

dr1pilot

Inkling
NNID
dr1pilot
Switch Friend Code
SW-6286-8551-3513
Anyone have any tips for Blackbelly splat zones? I'm horrible at this map and everytime it comes on rotation I just crumble down...I dropped from B70 to B30 just now :^( (The only match I won was in Ancho-V which im pretty decent at)
I've been meaning to rank up to B+ for a few days now but everytime I get to the higher tier of B (like about B80 or so) some kind of squid goddess just says "Haha no" and then I get hit by a horrible losing streak _( :3
Like any map with two zones try to hold "your" zone first and worry about capturing the other team's second. I've seen a lot of matches lost because of inadequate defense of a team's closest zone. Too many team members will hammer at the opposing team's zone and leave inadequate watch on the zone they already have.

Also, use that luna blaster. In Blackbelly you can use a blaster to pick opponents off the tower and ledges and from around corners really easily since there are so many of them.

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
which gear and weapons would you recommend for splat zones?
Any gear set-up that works for you. It's not like TC where there are set-ups dedicated to the gamemode. I personally like to use: :head_hat001::clothes_tel008::shoes_slo002: on Zones. ( I got 2 subs of :ability_inksaversub: on my shoes so that's handy.) So I can just keep painting the zone. Just see what's better for you.

SuperStar2361

Inkling
NNID
SuperStar2361
battles in ranked today have been much harder that they were yesterday... i'm not sure whether it's the fact that i'm using a weapon i never used before until today, the fact that i managed to move up from b to b+ yesterday, that fact that i was doing sz yesterday but tc today, or that i just got lucky with my teams yesterday, but it's been really hard to get up from b+ 24 (in fact, i've actually gone down to 22 after today's battles).

i really, really don't want to go back down to b rank - after my struggle a while back to stay in b- (i went down to c+ multiple times before i got up to b), i've been afraid that if i did go down to b, then the losses wouldn't end there, and there'd be a possibility that i could drop down again to b- or even worse, c+.

i'd join a squad to see if that'd make things any easier, but i don't know anyone who's around the same rank as me, or any squads that want b+ players... D:

does anyone have any tips, or recommend any weapons that would be useful for any of the ranked battle modes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom