• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ranked Battle (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker) Discussion

Multikirby

Inkling
NNID
multikirby
I'm new to the forums, so excuse me if I say stuff out of line, or whatever.

I'm having trouble getting past B-, but it's mostly because I'm still trying to figure out my role in the cosmic sense - or at least in the battles. The Rainmaker is really the enigma for me. Because I (like a lot of people I've encountered) do not want to carry the RM, as soon as we break the shield, we skitter around it nervously, waiting for someone to take it. And then someone does. But we do not like this someone because he is blue and we are orange.

That, I find, is the real problem I have with Rainmaker. I have no idea how to actually move and (as someone previously said) CHAAARGE. Is there some sort of strategy, or do I simply blitzkrieg and try to not-die?

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm new to the forums, so excuse me if I say stuff out of line, or whatever.

I'm having trouble getting past B-, but it's mostly because I'm still trying to figure out my role in the cosmic sense - or at least in the battles. The Rainmaker is really the enigma for me. Because I (like a lot of people I've encountered) do not want to carry the RM, as soon as we break the shield, we skitter around it nervously, waiting for someone to take it. And then someone does. But we do not like this someone because he is blue and we are orange.

That, I find, is the real problem I have with Rainmaker. I have no idea how to actually move and (as someone previously said) CHAAARGE. Is there some sort of strategy, or do I simply blitzkrieg and try to not-die?
Rainmaker rewards a certain amount of daring and aggression. Because my Special is the Inkzooka on my Mini Splatling I tend to let others carry it so I can provide loads of cover fire, but I'm not above grabbing it and running myself.

Multikirby

Inkling
NNID
multikirby
Rainmaker rewards a certain amount of daring and aggression. Because my Special is the Inkzooka on my Mini Splatling I tend to let others carry it so I can provide loads of cover fire, but I'm not above grabbing it and running myself.
The problem I face when I'm actually holding the Rainmaker is that horrendous charge time. Now, I know everybody has to deal with it and some are better than others. But I find myself (in certain matches) constantly splatted by the thing, and I'm just left wondering how they do it.There's gotta be a better way than Charge, shoot, swim to the end of the trail, rinse, repeat. Because that's what I'm doing and I'm doing terribly.

Also can the cyclone pass through walls or nah?

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You don't need to use full-power charged shots with the Rainmaker. Partial shots will leave a nice trail, also the Rainmaker's shots have an arc like the Inkzooka's.

Try to move and charge at the same time, treat the Rainmaker's attack like something between a Charger and the Inkzooka. If your teammates are providing cover fire, make use of it. You'll learn to spot the perfect timing for charging ahead with the Rainmaker in tow, like when all the dangerous opponents are busy respawning or out-of-position on the field.

Multikirby

Inkling
NNID
multikirby
You don't need to use full-power charged shots with the Rainmaker. Partial shots will leave a nice trail, also the Rainmaker's shots have an arc like the Inkzooka's.

Try to move and charge at the same time, treat the Rainmaker's attack like something between a Charger and the Inkzooka. If your teammates are providing cover fire, make use of it. You'll learn to spot the perfect timing for charging ahead with the Rainmaker in tow, like when all the dangerous opponents are busy respawning or out-of-position on the field.
Alright, thanks for the tip! I'll have to get some more practice in once I get the opportunity to play again.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
I'm tempted to try rainmaker mode, but will keep at bay while I steadily up my rank. Its quite easy to lose it if you are not careful. :/

HextupleyooDOT

Inkling
So when I started playing as an S rank in rooms of only S ranked players, I would gain 5 when I win and lose 4 when I lose. What circumstance would cause me to lose 5 and only gain 4? I'm staying about at the same point value, since I'm winning and losing essentially every other match, and the room is still just S players.

Artakha

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Artakha
So when I started playing as an S rank in rooms of only S ranked players, I would gain 5 when I win and lose 4 when I lose. What circumstance would cause me to lose 5 and only gain 4? I'm staying about at the same point value, since I'm winning and losing essentially every other match, and the room is still just S players.
You're at the point now where you must win more than lose to maintain. It's designed to weed out the carried squids and knock back the ones who aren't as skilled as other S's

ultra777

Full Squid
NNID
crazydragon1000
It
It turns into +/- 5 when you get to S rank. You still have to win more than 50% of the time but now it's against more skilled players and you have to win twice as much since you only get +5 instead of +10.

Ztcgameboy

Inkling
NNID
Zach
Don't go on the tower until you have at least one more player alive than the other team
Do you have any good weapon suggestions for the mode I play the tentatek splattershot 96. Gal and both carbon rollers

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Sure, here are a few tips:
Keep in mind, Tower Control is the mode I play least, so these might not actually be much use for you. Also this post is very long. And there will be no TLDR, sorry.

1) Neutralize the enemy team before pushing the Tower at the start of the match. Either kill 'em all, or get them in a position where you won't immediately get splatted for trying to ride the Tower. This is crucial to getting a good start, since if you don't do this, you'll probably just get killed, and then the enemy team will push the Tower after killing your teammates (or otherwise preventing them from stopping a push for a bit), which means they're in the lead (why this is bad for you in a few points).

2) Beware of Blasters. Blasters' AoE attacks let them easily kill people riding the Tower, so you'll probably see a lot of them. If you see a Blaster coming for the Tower, you should probably hop off and deal with them before hopping back on, or just splat them quickly if you're not riding the Tower.

3) If someone's on the Tower, you should just stay nearby and pick off anyone who tries to hijack the Tower. This way, if someone goes after the guy on the Tower, you can deal with them, and if the Tower rider gets splatted, you can hop on to keep pushing if it's safe (or if it's not safe, but you really need the extra point or two).

4) KRAKENS ARE PAIN. They can effortlessly take the Tower, or hold it by staying on, and their usual weakness of being locked to melee attacks isn't so bad when your targets are on a tiny platform. Get used to seeing them.

5) Bubblers are arguably even harder to handle than Krakens, for two reasons. Firstly, you're invincible, but you can still use your weapons (including subs) while surrounded by a Bubbler, so Bubbled players can not only ride the Tower with no fear of being splatted, they can fire back if you try to push them off. Secondly, Bubbler can be passed to teammates. This is why I'd argue it's harder to deal with Bubbler than Kraken; simply put, any teammate can get Bubbler once it's been popped, so they can all be invincible while pushing, whereas a Kraken can only be one person (though you can have multiple Kraken-users). Bubblers can be pushed around though, so you might prefer Krakens for actually riding the Tower (though Krakens can be pushed off too, it's not as easy), but Bubblers are still very good for Tower Control, at least in my opinion.

6) Killer Wails. If you see one, GET OFF THE TOWER. You'll get splatted if you stay on, or get pushed off if you pop Bubbler or Kraken to survive it, so it's best to just surrender the Tower for the few seconds it gets dubstomped, then take it back.
If you're using Killer Wail, point it at the Tower. Always. Unless your team's on the Tower, then wait until you see an area enemies can shoot down onto the Tower from and aim it there when they line up to do that, or just hold it until you're about to lose the Tower and then fire it at the Tower to prevent it being taken by the enemy.
6x) Inkstrikes are actually pretty good here, since they can just be fired on the Tower's path to force enemies off for a second (if you're not in control) or to disperse enemy ambushes (if you're in control). Not as effective as a Killer Wail, but good nonetheless.

7) When you get a sizable lead (like, your score is below 40, or below 30 on smaller maps), if you lose the Tower, you can just play defense until time runs out. It's easier than continuously pushing for a knockout and probably less risky, since they have to push deep into your territory to take the lead away from you.

As for weapons good for TC, you should get good mileage out of the Tentatek; the rapid-fire shot is pretty good (get a feel for the end of your range though, it'll be good to know when going up against Splattershot Pros and Jet Squelchers and stuff with longer range than the Tentatek), throwing Suction Bombs at the Tower from afar is a good way to harass tower riders, and Inkzooka is good in most situations (get good at aiming it though, missing can be fatal). The .96 Gal is also solid option. You'll miss occasionally near the end of your range, but throwing a Sprinkler onto the pillar in the middle of the Tower lets you ink the ground as the Tower travels (good way to charge Echolocator and get map control at the same time if you're pushing), and Echolocator is always a nice thing to have up (plus Sprinkler lets you generate it fairly quickly). The Carbon Roller could be alright as well; the fast flick can be good for invading the Tower, Burst Bombs can harass (and soften up) Tower riders from a distance, and Inkzooka is a great all-around Special, as covered above. I wouldn't go Deco though, Seekers and Seeker Rush just don't have the upward reach for attacking the Tower.

If you feel like branching out a bit, you could try the .96 Gal Deco. It's the .96 Gal, but it has the Kraken for taking the Tower with ease. It also has Splash Walls, which can be placed on the Tower while riding it, which is incredibly useful (for how to do this, here's a video: since it lets you ignore one direction briefly (nothing can penetrate the Wall, not even Krakens (though those do a lot of damage to it)! Inkstrikes and Wails get around the Wall tho, so still get off if one of those is coming your way!) or fire through it at would-be attackers.
Also, the Custom Range Blaster is a good selection. It's a Blaster, so you can attack most of the platform with every shot, Splat Bombs can be thrown onto the Tower to force riders to get off or position themselves so the central pillar blocks the explosion (but you can shoot them while they're there) or over cover to attack farther-away areas, and Kraken is Kraken, nothing more needs to be said about it. You'll need to get used to how it works, but it's very good, at least I think so.
Alsoalso, one last suggestion: Splat Roller. Its flicks have good power and alright speed, you can roll to create an inkroad for your teammates, Suction Bomb throwing at the Tower is a good move when you're not in control, and Killer Wail is just awesome for TC. Bit slower than you're used to for Rollers, but I'd argue it's better for TC than the Carbon.

Hope that helps. Sorry about the length.

Ztcgameboy

Inkling
NNID
Zach
Sure, here are a few tips:
Keep in mind, Tower Control is the mode I play least, so these might not actually be much use for you. Also this post is very long. And there will be no TLDR, sorry.

1) Neutralize the enemy team before pushing the Tower at the start of the match. Either kill 'em all, or get them in a position where you won't immediately get splatted for trying to ride the Tower. This is crucial to getting a good start, since if you don't do this, you'll probably just get killed, and then the enemy team will push the Tower after killing your teammates (or otherwise preventing them from stopping a push for a bit), which means they're in the lead (why this is bad for you in a few points).

2) Beware of Blasters. Blasters' AoE attacks let them easily kill people riding the Tower, so you'll probably see a lot of them. If you see a Blaster coming for the Tower, you should probably hop off and deal with them before hopping back on, or just splat them quickly if you're not riding the Tower.

3) If someone's on the Tower, you should just stay nearby and pick off anyone who tries to hijack the Tower. This way, if someone goes after the guy on the Tower, you can deal with them, and if the Tower rider gets splatted, you can hop on to keep pushing if it's safe (or if it's not safe, but you really need the extra point or two).

4) KRAKENS ARE PAIN. They can effortlessly take the Tower, or hold it by staying on, and their usual weakness of being locked to melee attacks isn't so bad when your targets are on a tiny platform. Get used to seeing them.

5) Bubblers are arguably even harder to handle than Krakens, for two reasons. Firstly, you're invincible, but you can still use your weapons (including subs) while surrounded by a Bubbler, so Bubbled players can not only ride the Tower with no fear of being splatted, they can fire back if you try to push them off. Secondly, Bubbler can be passed to teammates. This is why I'd argue it's harder to deal with Bubbler than Kraken; simply put, any teammate can get Bubbler once it's been popped, so they can all be invincible while pushing, whereas a Kraken can only be one person (though you can have multiple Kraken-users). Bubblers can be pushed around though, so you might prefer Krakens for actually riding the Tower (though Krakens can be pushed off too, it's not as easy), but Bubblers are still very good for Tower Control, at least in my opinion.

6) Killer Wails. If you see one, GET OFF THE TOWER. You'll get splatted if you stay on, or get pushed off if you pop Bubbler or Kraken to survive it, so it's best to just surrender the Tower for the few seconds it gets dubstomped, then take it back.
If you're using Killer Wail, point it at the Tower. Always. Unless your team's on the Tower, then wait until you see an area enemies can shoot down onto the Tower from and aim it there when they line up to do that, or just hold it until you're about to lose the Tower and then fire it at the Tower to prevent it being taken by the enemy.
6x) Inkstrikes are actually pretty good here, since they can just be fired on the Tower's path to force enemies off for a second (if you're not in control) or to disperse enemy ambushes (if you're in control). Not as effective as a Killer Wail, but good nonetheless.

7) When you get a sizable lead (like, your score is below 40, or below 30 on smaller maps), if you lose the Tower, you can just play defense until time runs out. It's easier than continuously pushing for a knockout and probably less risky, since they have to push deep into your territory to take the lead away from you.

As for weapons good for TC, you should get good mileage out of the Tentatek; the rapid-fire shot is pretty good (get a feel for the end of your range though, it'll be good to know when going up against Splattershot Pros and Jet Squelchers and stuff with longer range than the Tentatek), throwing Suction Bombs at the Tower from afar is a good way to harass tower riders, and Inkzooka is good in most situations (get good at aiming it though, missing can be fatal). The .96 Gal is also solid option. You'll miss occasionally near the end of your range, but throwing a Sprinkler onto the pillar in the middle of the Tower lets you ink the ground as the Tower travels (good way to charge Echolocator and get map control at the same time if you're pushing), and Echolocator is always a nice thing to have up (plus Sprinkler lets you generate it fairly quickly). The Carbon Roller could be alright as well; the fast flick can be good for invading the Tower, Burst Bombs can harass (and soften up) Tower riders from a distance, and Inkzooka is a great all-around Special, as covered above. I wouldn't go Deco though, Seekers and Seeker Rush just don't have the upward reach for attacking the Tower.

If you feel like branching out a bit, you could try the .96 Gal Deco. It's the .96 Gal, but it has the Kraken for taking the Tower with ease. It also has Splash Walls, which can be placed on the Tower while riding it, which is incredibly useful (for how to do this, here's a video: since it lets you ignore one direction briefly (nothing can penetrate the Wall, not even Krakens (though those do a lot of damage to it)! Inkstrikes and Wails get around the Wall tho, so still get off if one of those is coming your way!) or fire through it at would-be attackers.
Also, the Custom Range Blaster is a good selection. It's a Blaster, so you can attack most of the platform with every shot, Splat Bombs can be thrown onto the Tower to force riders to get off or position themselves so the central pillar blocks the explosion (but you can shoot them while they're there) or over cover to attack farther-away areas, and Kraken is Kraken, nothing more needs to be said about it. You'll need to get used to how it works, but it's very good, at least I think so.
Alsoalso, one last suggestion: Splat Roller. Its flicks have good power and alright speed, you can roll to create an inkroad for your teammates, Suction Bomb throwing at the Tower is a good move when you're not in control, and Killer Wail is just awesome for TC. Bit slower than you're used to for Rollers, but I'd argue it's better for TC than the Carbon.

Hope that helps. Sorry about the length.
Thanks a lot for the info

Syd_Vicious3375

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ShelbyLynn08
Yaw.

I'm new to this forum but not new to the game, and I must admit that this game mode sucks big time. One does not simply rise in rank when, time after time, you're the only one in your team who actually knows what the game is all about yet you never get to get any recognition whatsoever.

Yes, yes. I know. Mathematically, the odds for winning are the same for everybody regardless of one's level of skill. The universe just tends to hate me everytime I try to crawl myself out of the scrub pool. It's such a shame that brushes have no power here.
Yes! I was in ranked on camp triggerfish the other day, in a room with B+'s and a couple A-'s. One of my teammates RUSHED to the rainmaker and snatched it up. Then proceeded to take it and try to put it on the podium near our spawn point. :scared: The game just took the rainmaker and put it back in the center of the game, but that could have been a really bad situation. Talk about handing the other team a win if they had caught up with him and taken control of the rainmaker.

BulkyJam

Inkling
NNID
kazstrider
Just got done playing Tower Control for the first time, and I swept 2 of the 3 games I played because people are somehow bad at this mode, I don't get it lolololol

It's basically TF2's payload mode, have people really not played that?

Yeah, pubbies make getting money in this game real easy sometimes, so keep that up.

I need to be good at SOMETHING with multi-player after all.

TheReflexWonder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheReflexWonder
I made a video clarifying points about Rainmaker. Nothing groundbreaking, but it does put convenient info in one place that isn't the Splatoon 2ch wiki.

The Rainmaker's Shield has 1000 HP, but many weapon types have a damage multiplier applied when they hit the Shield. The values are as follows:

Shooter: 1x
Splatling: 1x
Blaster: 2x
Roller: 2x
Slosher: ~2.4x
Charger: ~2.8x
Sprinkler: 1x
Burst/Splat/Suction Bomb: 2x
Seeker: 3x
Most specials: 2x
Kraken: 3.5x

Unlike against Inklings, weapons do not have a damage cap when hitting the Rainmaker's Shield with Damage Up buffs. This means that Damage Up can be used to pop the Shield faster than normal.

If you have the Rainmaker and splat yourself by falling off the map while you are behind the halfway point, the Rainmaker will respawn in the center of the map.

The pushback from firing the Rainmaker can be used to go through enemy ink reasonably quickly, so if you're stopped without a chance of making a new path, firing the Rainmaker behind you repeatedly can get you a little extra push before you're splatted.

JubyFaith

Inkling
NNID
JoyRiden
I have hard time with control the tower , IDK way I'm looking up tips and tricks on the subject I just can't do anything.
Is it me? is it my team ? or both? o_O

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I have hard time with control the tower , IDK way I'm looking up tips and tricks on the subject I just can't do anything.
Is it me? is it my team ? or both? o_O
What weapons do you normally use and how would you characterise your play style? That makes a difference in how you might approach Tower Control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom