• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ranked Mode Really Deserves Voice Chat.....

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
I Don't care what they do with turf wars but oh my god! i can barely stay out of Rank C- due to my team mates either acting like rambo(focusing on kills more than capturing points)or they think it's turf wars and wander around the map

i just wanna ask them what in the world are they doing? i just would like to have some competent team mates that are on the same page as me instead of team mates that just go lone wolf....

ugh!...it just makes me so mad when i get nothing but idiots screwing me over all day on ranked and there's nothing i can do about it

Box

Pro Squid
Really you're making a pretty good case for why voice chat should not be in ranked mode, considering what you want to use it for is to complain to your teammates.

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
Really you're making a pretty good case for why voice chat should not be in ranked mode, considering what you want to use it for is to complain to your teammates.
if all my team mates wanna do is screw around and ignore the capture points.....why shouldn't i complain?

i shouldn't have to carry my team because they don't have the brain power to know the difference between ranked battles and regular battles

Box

Pro Squid
if all my team mates wanna do is screw around and ignore the capture points.....why shouldn't i complain?

i shouldn't have to carry my team because they don't have the brain power to know the difference between ranked battles and regular battles
Well because people don't like being told what to do by strangers online.

Tomato

Inkling
As much as I would like to give precise directions and warnings as opposed to yelling "C'mon!", I feel like voice chat would actually make things worse. Some may think they're funny and start saying stupid things, or some may continuously complain and distract everyone. Your entire team might have already muted their voice chat. Not to mention the game is international and not all players speak the same language...

I'm still around rank B, sometimes dropping all the way back to C. It's tough, but my tip is to stick to a weapon and battle style you're comfortable with at the moment (whether it be Inkstriking from a distance or splatting everyone or whatever), until you're ready to adapt multiple battle styles and use them according to your situation (annoying charger hiding up high? You might want to sneak behind them, distract them as another teammate sneaks behind them, or ignore them and concentrate on your stuff). There's more in Ranked Battles than to capture areas. You win and lose as a team; you include yourself when you say "Teammates that go lone wolf" and "Idiots screwing me over all day".

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
Well because people don't like being told what to do by strangers online.
well because if they weren't such idiots they wouldn't have to be told anything by strangers online....if you refuse to do what the objective demands then of course someone's gonna yell at you if the option is there to do so

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
As much as I would like to give precise directions and warnings as opposed to yelling "C'mon!", I feel like voice chat would actually make things worse. Some may think they're funny and start saying stupid things, or some may continuously complain and distract everyone. Your entire team might have already muted their voice chat. Not to mention the game is international and not all players speak the same language...

I'm still around rank B, sometimes dropping all the way back to C. It's tough, but my tip is to stick to a weapon and battle style you're comfortable with at the moment (whether it be Inkstriking from a distance or splatting everyone or whatever), until you're ready to adapt multiple battle styles and use them according to your situation (annoying charger hiding up high? You might want to sneak behind them, distract them as another teammate sneaks behind them, or ignore them and concentrate on your stuff). There's more in Ranked Battles than to capture areas. You win and lose as a team; you include yourself when you say "Teammates that go lone wolf" and "Idiots screwing me over all day".
so what am i to do? pray to god that I'm paired up with competent humans for once? and yes i know there's more than capture points but that's the main objective and if nobody pays attention to it...the team is a failure

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Chances are if you're in the C range, as the ranking system pans out, the other team will be floundering around doing the exact same thing. That is people at the same level will understand about the same amount.

So, if you are really as understanding of the objective as you say, you should have no trouble making it to C/C+ because the opponents, statistically speaking, should have about the same understanding and that ranking and elo system should help distribute people of the same skill level around the same area.

So yeah, forge onward and believe in statistical analysis. :P

Box

Pro Squid
well because if they weren't such idiots they wouldn't have to be told anything by strangers online....if you refuse to do what the objective demands then of course someone's gonna yell at you if the option is there to do so
Don't you see how this can be turned around? Not everyone is going to agree on what the right way to play is. Do you want people complaining at you because you're not playing the way they think you should be playing? Since they're strangers online, they're probably not going to be very polite about it either. You're likely to get blamed for things that weren't your fault just because someone is mad that his team lost and doesn't want to take responsibility.

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
i can barely stay out of Rank C-
If you can't make it out of the C's, you might want to start considering that you might be a part of the problem.

Voice chat might be useful, but you'd have the same problems. If you got paired up with incompetent people, they're not going to be listening or present or skilled enough to follow orders anyway. I feel like it might help sometimes, but I agree with the people who are saying it would mostly be annoying. I think I'll just wait until we can play ranked modes with set teams, and then chatting with them will be useful.

The only justifiable reason for doing this is to build up special.
No no. Please no. Your special is not as important as having your body helping defend/push the point. You'll charge your special just fine if you are contributing to achieving the objective. If you have a clear advantage, then fine, go ink some stuff, but I wish people would quit wasting time charging their inkstrike while leaving their team at a disadvantage. Your inkstrike is like a mosquito on the arm of the team that just splatted the rest of your team while you were dilly-dallying. It's nothing more than a minor annoyance that's easily dealt with.

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
Some specials are valuable enough that I'd say taking the time to ink them to charge them is useful, say Bubbler or Kracken, which both will likely force the other team to retreat at least briefly.

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
Some specials are valuable enough that I'd say taking the time to ink them to charge them is useful, say Bubbler or Kracken, which both will likely force the other team to retreat at least briefly.
Maybe sometimes. But if you're leaving your team to fight a 3v4 or worse situation to charge it, what good is it going to do? This game happens so fast, and if your team ends up getting wiped while you're off doing your own thing, you either go in with your bubble/kraken alone and not do any good and probably get splatted yourself. Or you're waiting for your team to respawn and travel back to the point to push with your special. Either way, the other team just took a 10+ second lead and set up a defensive.

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet
No no. Please no. Your special is not as important as having your body helping defend/push the point. You'll charge your special just fine if you are contributing to achieving the objective. If you have a clear advantage, then fine, go ink some stuff, but I wish people would quit wasting time charging their inkstrike while leaving their team at a disadvantage. Your inkstrike is like a mosquito on the arm of the team that just splatted the rest of your team while you were dilly-dallying. It's nothing more than a minor annoyance that's easily dealt with.
While I don't really need to go out and ink the place up to gain my special, at times where we have the other team on the ropes and no where near the zone, I ink other areas to gain my special and mitigate their attempts to reclaim.

Also, Inkstrike isn't the only special. Bubbler is a very good special to have handy when you have your enemy down on the ropes, you can push them back even further.

I was simply pointing out that his team mates weren't inking other territory because they didn't know how to play Splat Zones, but rather because of special building. This in of itself when losing isn't nearly as effective as to doing it when winning.

Koop Canon

Inkling
NNID
Koop_Canon
I think it's fine for now...I guess voice chat would be good as long as their is a mute option...of course muting players will be needed in this day and age!

Indy Wolfy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
CheveyoWolf
I would love to have voice chat in rank matches so we can coordinate our attacks and not go out and die like LEMMINGS or to request backup since I always get left alone to defend the frontline

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
I posted this in another thread, but:

Have any of you played Shadowrun? In that game, the D-pad allowed players to give simple communications like:

Enemy Spotted
I Need Help
Move Here
Hold Here

Teammates would hear a simple voice command and see a waypoint on their screen. The Enemy Spotted command would signal "Area Clear" if there were no enemies.

It made a huge difference in pubs, and I think it would make a huge difference in Splatoon too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom