• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ranked point system MUST change!

WydrA

Inkling Commander
I saw lots of players say that. Almost as many as "I can't rank up cause my teammates did bad"... But that's wrong. It's true you can have a lucky or unlucky streak, for some games. But that's can't be true for 100 games, so it can't be an excuse forever. There are some players (including myself) that just never lose 10 games in a row (unless they are trying some kind of weapon they usually don't, as I tried E-Liter recently). Because it's actually veeeery unlikely to have 10 times in a row people doing worse than your opponents. It's way more likely that you're part of the reason why you lost these ten games. That's what the law of large numbers is about, too: the more games you consider, the less relevant luck is.

By the way, playing the E-Liter made me rank back as low as S38 on 3 days. Then I switched up to the Turboblaster Pro Deco, which I try to master, and went back to S+ with almost no losses (maybe 3-5). I'm pretty sure there are some guys way better than me, that would do the same in S+ rank. My point is: luck is secondary. If you're strong enough you'll just go up, because your opponents as your allies are all worse than you, and you'll have more weight than anyone. Like, just go in B or C rank... Would you really stay stuck there "because you're unlucky"...? No, clearly that's not gonna cut it. That's the same for other ranks.

Oh, even with E-Liter, I didn't lose 10 games in a row. That's not that easy to lose 10 times in a row... Unless you're unaware of some kind of mistake, might even be psychic one. But that would still be the player's fault, not luck.
A lot of people say this, but it's not true. It very much is possible to be unlucky enough to get 10+ bad teams in a row. It's a well known fact some people get lucky and will get carried to S rank when they should be in something like B+, so naturally the opposite happening is not only a possibility, but a guarantee.

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
Really... B+ going to S with only luck, and staying there... That just can't be. And we have every level of players in my team so I know what S can do to A-B players. You can get lucky or unlucky and have 10 in a row, but still, you won't stay in your unfair rank. Staying in a specific rank for several weeks is not about luck. When someone wins a poker tournament three times in a row, he is not having a luck streak, he is strong at poker. An opponent blaming the cards is just a sore loser.

By the way, seems the disconnections will be taken into account in the scoring now. Time-based.

And anyway, about the ten bad teams in a row, what I said is still true: I just never lose 10 games in a row in solo. Having a bad team doesn't mean you'll lose. You need to be able to win with somewhat bad teams to go up, as you'll go down if you make lose ok teams.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Nintendo listens to squidboards confirmed!

I do worry about how long it'll take to fill a room, but otherwise it's a much welcomed change, especially how it will decide teams based on weapons! No more 4x charger or 4x roller, hopefully!

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I think Nintendo didn't do that before because they were afraid of how long would it take to start a match. Fantastic to me, no more worries about losing 7 or more points in one match against S skilled players in A+ :D

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Really... B+ going to S with only luck, and staying there... That just can't be. And we have every level of players in my team so I know what S can do to A-B players. You can get lucky or unlucky and have 10 in a row, but still, you won't stay in your unfair rank. Staying in a specific rank for several weeks is not about luck. When someone wins a poker tournament three times in a row, he is not having a luck streak, he is strong at poker. An opponent blaming the cards is just a sore loser.

By the way, seems the disconnections will be taken into account in the scoring now. Time-based.

And anyway, about the ten bad teams in a row, what I said is still true: I just never lose 10 games in a row in solo. Having a bad team doesn't mean you'll lose. You need to be able to win with somewhat bad teams to go up, as you'll go down if you make lose ok teams.
Agreed that @WydrA might be using a little hyperbole. You're right, even if you get carried to a rank you won't stay there long if you don't play at that level. HOWEVER, while those players are there before dropping out they mess up the rank pretty severely. My favorite-to-mention A, A+, S Gold Aerospray teammates who shoot at zones from a sniper perch. Not just one. I've seen that numerous times. You can't tell me that someone in those ranks that thinks shooting at a zone from a sniper perch with an aerospray actually should be in that rank and isn't essentially, a disconnect. They got there SOMEHOW and it wasn't through skill ;) So not only is the luck factor favoring some people who are REALLY awful players to move up, but it must be equally favoring players who aren't that unskilled to move down as a matter of balance. But worse once those two cross (players that moved above where they should, players that move down more than they should) they've skewed THOSE lobbies which force more in that direction.

You don't lose 10 games because you're personally an exceptional player that can carry teams even at the highest ranks. You're not the only player of that skill, but you have to keep in mind that you shouldn't HAVE to be so superlative a player to maintain your rank. You shouldn't have to solo carry losing teams to earn your slot - if Nintendo intended that they'd have scored us individually instead of as a team. I think that kind of play is more required in S+, but that's sort of why S+ exists. For everyone that's NOT S+ material, that's the opposite of the intended result.

I'm very optimistic about the 2.6 system. S+ only with S+, S, only with S, A/A+/A- only together, B/B+/B- only together, C/C+/C- only together. That seems like how the system was SUPPOSED to work to begin with. It might finally resolve some of these issues. Like I said in another thread yesterday, when I was in A, I never actually fought in an A lobby. It was either an easy B+ lobby or a difficult S/A+ lobby. I think that's what's been wrong. You can move up from A to A+ because you can win in B+ lobbies with an A- team. OR you can lose from A to A-, or even back to B+ because you CAN'T beat S/A+ teams with an A- team. It defeated the point of even having ranks.

What's interesting about the patch is they effectively finally admitted, by saying they may revert to the old broken system again if wait times are too long with the new one, what so many of us have been saying. The ranked system was willfully broken and ranks have been pretty much a complete joke, because they were afraid they didn't have enough players, and still might not. They were indeed matchmaking lobbies, randomly, with no consideration of weapons, with players ranging from B+ through S. So until 2.6 we've been right. There were 3 real ranks: Below B+, B+ through S, and S/S+. C's and S+ are the only ranks that haven't been a kind of random joke up till now.

I still wonder, though, what the point of splitting A, B, and C are if lobbies are still random mixes of the base/+/- version. The only difference is the point reward/penalty count. But it's just a 300p rank, really. But hopefully, once the dust settles this all means you don't have to massively outplay your own rank just to stay in it.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
Now squad-carried S Rank players will face real S Ranked players, this is gonna be interesting.
I confess I did put many low-ranked friends into A+ or S, so I somewhat deserve part of this blame.

Award

Now squad-carried S Rank players will face real S Ranked players, this is gonna be interesting.
I confess I did put many low-ranked friends into A+ or S, so I somewhat deserve part of this blame.
Everybody always talks about being carried by S ranked friends to the high ranks. Why is it for me any time I squad at B+, A-, A, or A+ with one S, we get A- teammates and get all S/S+ opponents :p Squadding with higher rank friends are the fastest way to DERANK from what I've seen :D

But the matchmaker hates me. It made me play endless rounds against S opponents to get out of B+ when I was last there, but then gave me all B+ lobbies to get out of A- as if to say "ok, fine you weren't supposed to get out last time so we'll give you this one." Finally an end to that hot mess!

Technically they have to do face real S's (or B+'s!) to get to S even when squadding anyway since you can't squad into S, only A+99.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
yeah this is mostly what i was saying. Although the B+ comment wasn't entirely hyperbole. There are almost certainly people who are lucky enough to get carried into, and stay in S rank despite playing. If people can get struck by lighting several times in their lifetime, this isn't all that crazy lol.
Everybody always talks about being carried by S ranked friends to the high ranks. Why is it for me any time I squad at B+, A-, A, or A+ with one S, we get A- teammates and get all S/S+ opponents :p Squadding with higher rank friends are the fastest way to DERANK from what I've seen :D

But the matchmaker hates me. It made me play endless rounds against S opponents to get out of B+ when I was last there, but then gave me all B+ lobbies to get out of A- as if to say "ok, fine you weren't supposed to get out last time so we'll give you this one." Finally an end to that hot mess!

Technically they have to do face real S's (or B+'s!) to get to S even when squadding anyway since you can't squad into S, only A+99.
I feel you, bro. one time the matchmaker really went haywire one me, and it just kept ranking me up each game despite me (mostly) losing. I ended up as a B+ in a couple S+ lobbies.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Award is talking about me here ;) It has been strange how consistently we are matched up against higher ranked teams, often with S+'s, even when he was an A-. Maybe the matchmaker thinks I'm just an incredibly amazing player and that S+'s are needed to defeat me! (Not.)

Award is a good example of a good player who is slow to rank up (relative to his ability) due to consistently unfavourable matchups.

Award

eah this is mostly what i was saying. Although the B+ comment wasn't entirely hyperbole. There are almost certainly people who are lucky enough to get carried into, and stay in S rank despite playing. If people can get struck by lighting several times in their lifetime, this isn't all that crazy lol.
That one's a little harder to picture. I can imagine them getting lucky and GETTING to S, but staying there would be pretty difficult. I really lack faith in my own ability to stay in S let alone a genuine B+ that got carried there. Often enough, like yesterday, the A's are filled with obvious alts, so the A's tend to play at genuine S/S+ level sometimes. And genuine B+ would have a hard time with that I'm pretty sure. Though I figure if someone like me is consistently unfavored by the matchmaker, it's probably true that someone else is probably consistently favored to balance it. Maybe you're right after all!

I feel you, bro. one time the matchmaker really went haywire one me, and it just kept ranking me up each game despite me (mostly) losing. I ended up as a B+ in a couple S+ lobbies.
Yeah...hopefully after 2.6 that won't happen. Though it doesn't solve what I'm seeing as an ever more rampant alt scene. Either the meta is really moving the ranks downward and the skill levels upward, or there's a boatload of alts plaguing sub-S ranks which is throwing the whole thing off even for when we have 2.6.

Award is talking about me here ;) It has been strange how consistently we are matched up against higher ranked teams, often with S+'s, even when he was an A-. Maybe the matchmaker thinks I'm just an incredibly amazing player and that S+'s are needed to defeat me! (Not.)

Award is a good example of a good player who is slow to rank up (relative to his ability) due to consistently unfavourable matchups.
LOL, yeah :p And thanks :) The matchmaker has cursed you, but it's twice-cursed me. I attract the S's and S+'s in solo queue too :mad: That'll be fixed in 2.6 (or maybe already has been - I saw only A/A-/A+ in the a lobbies yesterday, no S's, no B+'s) But unfortunately they were loaded with alts. Either A-'s now play at the same level that S+ did a few months ago (and S+ is a whole new level?) or there's a whole lot of S+ alts (and even more S alts) at A- right now. Or there's not a lot and the matchmaker just pairs me against them exclusively :rolleyes: I've seriously seen numerous S's that were easier for me to totally stomp than the supposed A-'s I was playing yesterday. I'm familiar with the difference in S and S+ level play S's I can generally take on 1v1. S+'s I generally can not, but sometimes can, the weaker ones. Last week in solo queue I was taking on teams of 2 (genuine) S's without any on my A+/A- team and winning. Yesterday I could barely touch some of these "A-" players. I didn't have bad teams, I didn't have to 1v4. We all played very well! But we were just overly outplayed, and it was always the same 1 or 2 players at the end on the other team with the double digit kills. Always the "new" player with the low level. (lv16, lv22 "A-" etc. Or the handful of 40-50lv high level "A-" players with a clan tag.) My bad luck matchmaking applies to TW too though, and always has. (Saturday I had the lv6, B+, A- team. Opponents? S, S, S, S.)

Apparently the REAL action in this game is in A-. S's are a bunch of sissies :rolleyes::D

It's not so much "slow to rank up" as much as violent downranks in hours that take a week or two to recover from before the next violent downrank. Losing 3 ranks in 4 hours is now common for me. Then it gets slowly rebuilt over a week or two before the cycle repeats. The downward cycle is frustrating, but I'm just used to it. When I crash hard enough I use it to go experiment with stuff. I keep finding new mains that way :p Then I start cringing when I get back up again because then I can't go experiment and have to take it seriously :(

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I somewhat agree, some times I get back from S to A+ and there I see really good teammates who do cover well, use support and THINK.
I'm not judging, but when I'm on S it's rare to find those consistent teams, which makes me think of save scummers.

I'm very excited to see this new matchmaking update, my wife's between A and A+ and she constantly plays against S+, now this is going to end.

Award

I somewhat agree, some times I get back from S to A+ and there I see really good teammates who do cover well, use support and THINK.
I'm not judging, but when I'm on S it's rare to find those consistent teams, which makes me think of save scummers.
I still can't fathom people going through the gyrations needed for savescumming. I know people do it, but I just can't imagine it. In addition to cheating, it just sounds so slow and annoying. I'm too impatient for that :D

But yeah, what's weird about the A's is how they flip flop. With the 2.6 update (which server-side might already be in effect. Like I said I was getting only A lobbies yesterday.) it will mix only A's with other A's. But the interesting thing is there is no actual difference between A+ and A-. It will be random mixes of A, A+, A- in the lobbies for all 3. So it's the same skill level not matter which A you're playing in. The only difference is your reward/penalty points for win/loss. What I find interesting is that A's seem to alternate back and forth. This weekend the A's played as S/S+ does. No bad players, good teams, some amazing teams (usually whichever one I was against) very high level play. Great matches...losing matches...but great gameplay. But a few weeks ago I consistently found that B+'s were playing superior to A-'s. The A-'s were the ones shooting aerosprays from sniper perches. The B's knew the game all too well.

I'm thinking...maybe the B's from that week were the new alts moving up. The alts that are now in the A's this week. That would make sense especially if they only play their alts on weekends. When I play squads I'm usually playing mostly S/S+ lobbies. What strikes me is the A's this week, and the B's last week (when I sunk to B+ for a bit) all seem to be playing very much the same as the S/S+ I play in squads. And I see a lot of the same players (hard to tell with Japanese names since I can't read them, unless they have a phonetic clan tag of course.) But there can't be an endless wave of alts all the time. They'd get to S eventually.

Which also makes me wonder: What if they want their alts lower than S and therefore intentionally LOSE once their alts reach S? Maybe that's some of the terrible players you're seeing in S, and the terrible players I was seeing in the A's last week. Maybe they're really S/S+ alts that after dominating their way back to S intentionally play like noobs to drop down a bit?

I don't know. It doesn't make sense the skill levels of the same rank would ping back and forth between "high skill, high performance play on par with the top ranks" and "so bad it might as well be the C's." not naturally anyway.

I'm very excited to see this new matchmaking update, my wife's between A and A+ and she constantly plays against S+, now this is going to end.
I'm glad to hear I'm not the ONLY one this happens to. There's so many players it DOESN'T happen to that you start feeling crazy when seeing it so often. Any ranking system that makes you play 2-3 ranks above your rank just to stay where you are has been pretty broken. At least it can sort itself out over time after 2.6. But I still wish there was a way to deal with the alt problem. When playing with REAL S+'s at least your point totals when losing reflect it. When losing against fake S+'s pretending to be A's you lose full points.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I think the real problem with the ranking system is the severe jump to S.

From B- to A+, you normally gain 10 points for wins, and lose 10 points for losses. From what I remember, the B's are okay due to the amount of players that were in it at the time. Transitioning from C onward (where the system is biased towards ranking up), I think the system is fair. The A ranks themselves have little difference from each other: Matches combine A- A and A+ seemingly randomly. There honestly is not really a big jump from A- to A+ since the matches do not change much.
S is where the problems start. First of all, why is there no S- rank? Makes no sense to me. Second of all, S is a big "dump" rank because all squad matches S do not matter. People could get carried to S in squads, or do amazing in squads but never make it to S+. Thirdly, the point change is radically different. Going up and down 5 points at a time means it is somewhat easy to get stuck in S, despite playing well. In addition, once you get to around S 40, the rank points get all crazy and start giving you 4 for average wins, 6 for losses. Add this to RNG matchmaking, and it is nearly impossible to get to S+. Even at S+, the small amount of players in S+ get lumped into A and S games, which means that some people might just carry the teams.
It would be much better if there was a gradual approach, like making A- give 9 points for wins and losses, A 8, A+ 7, and (adding a S- rank) S- 6. This way, it would be harder to enter S and mean that the A ranks are more populous, which means that A's would get matched with A's, A+'s would get matched with A+'s, and so on.

From what I generally see, C ranks are new players/bad, B players are okay, A players are decent/above average, S players are good, S+ players are splatoon gods. If possible, the system should be organized so each rank has a semi-equivalent number of people.

CknSalad

Inkster Jr.
I feel that the upcoming 2.6 update will mitigate the frustration where the squad-carried S players will eventually be pushed back into A or A+ where they belong. I think it is too early to create S- rank for now as Nintendo does not have data how hard or long it takes for S or S+ rank only players to queue up into their respective lobbies. I would give it a good month or so, and if it becomes an issue, then S- may indeed to be created.

On the other hand, S+ has also its share of variance issues where players are not really quite S+ calibur on most maps/mode combinations, but still can outfrag about 85-90% of the S rank players with relative ease. S+ 50 (hitting this a decent number at times as your best) and above should be grouped onto S+, while S70 - S+30 should be in S rank, then S70 and below be into S- rank. The only problem is how long match queuing would take for the new S+ bracket group with this this system I suggested in place.

Award

I think the real problem with the ranking system is the severe jump to S.

From B- to A+, you normally gain 10 points for wins, and lose 10 points for losses. From what I remember, the B's are okay due to the amount of players that were in it at the time. Transitioning from C onward (where the system is biased towards ranking up), I think the system is fair. The A ranks themselves have little difference from each other: Matches combine A- A and A+ seemingly randomly. There honestly is not really a big jump from A- to A+ since the matches do not change much.
S is where the problems start. First of all, why is there no S- rank? Makes no sense to me. Second of all, S is a big "dump" rank because all squad matches S do not matter. People could get carried to S in squads, or do amazing in squads but never make it to S+. Thirdly, the point change is radically different. Going up and down 5 points at a time means it is somewhat easy to get stuck in S, despite playing well. In addition, once you get to around S 40, the rank points get all crazy and start giving you 4 for average wins, 6 for losses. Add this to RNG matchmaking, and it is nearly impossible to get to S+. Even at S+, the small amount of players in S+ get lumped into A and S games, which means that some people might just carry the teams.
It would be much better if there was a gradual approach, like making A- give 9 points for wins and losses, A 8, A+ 7, and (adding a S- rank) S- 6. This way, it would be harder to enter S and mean that the A ranks are more populous, which means that A's would get matched with A's, A+'s would get matched with A+'s, and so on.

From what I generally see, C ranks are new players/bad, B players are okay, A players are decent/above average, S players are good, S+ players are splatoon gods. If possible, the system should be organized so each rank has a semi-equivalent number of people.

I think you hit on a lot of things where S is indeed part of the troubles, but possibly didn't go far enough. You're right about the A's except up until 2.6, the A's weren't just matches against A-, A, and A+ but A, A-, A+, S, S+ and B+. Basically a match in the A's was match across MOST OF THE RANKS. I'd get mostly B+ matches in A, mostly S/S+ matches in A-, it was a mess. So I had to outplay S+'s to earn Aflat, but only had to outplay B+'s to move to A+ - it made no sense I've been through the A's up and down several times now and keep seeing that pattern. With 2.6 that will fix some of that but there's still this lingering problem I mentioned above. Why do the A's sometimes play like S+'s and sometimes play like C+'s? A mixture of alts and the carried I presume. But I think there's certain problems baked into the the meta now because of how long they let these problems linger which were, by their own admission now, due to the low player count. I agree about the need for S-, the point similarities etc. The 2.6 changes should help, but it's going to take months for people to really filter through. I'm still not convinced about being squad-carried either. Everyone gripes about it, but squads, like I mention above seem to result in PUNISHING matches against higher leveled oponents where it's often more likely to get trounced than in solo. These are games that you can't have one dead-weight player. They might as well disconnect. Everyone needs to be on their top game.

And the alts. I'm feeling it's far more pervasive now than even 4 weeks ago. The the point that it's like TW - you don't really know what rank you're playing no matter what the letters say. The skill tier of a given rank doesn't and shouldn't magically jump 2 ranks in a week. Everyone that was a B+ last week and played like a B+ last week doesn't suddenly learn how to play like an S or S+ by the time they hit A-. I'm not sure how Nintendo can address that problem. This further muddles the ranks when you have players in a rank that are really skilled and experienced at a far higher level. I still advocate a ladder reset for this reason.

The gradual approach you describe makes too much sense. Why should there not be a difference between A- and A+? Why BOTHER having 3 different ranks for every tier if they're just a 300p single rank? Though I think as it is, S is already difficult enough to enter and/or stay in which is the other reason the A's keep getting flooded by higher tier S players that keep getting bumped down by S+ players. That will get partially fixed with 2.6 I hope.

@jsilva are you seeing this? Someone suggesting equalizing the numbers of players in each pool for the good of the game. If only a system existed to load balance the lobbies by forcing some players to move upward or downward toward the underpopulated pool as needed, based on an undetermined criteria.

If only.

;)

I feel that the upcoming 2.6 update will mitigate the frustration where the squad-carried S players will eventually be pushed back into A or A+ where they belong. I think it is too early to create S- rank for now as Nintendo does not have data how hard or long it takes for S or S+ rank only players to queue up into their respective lobbies. I would give it a good month or so, and if it becomes an issue, then S- may indeed to be created.

On the other hand, S+ has also its share of variance issues where players are not really quite S+ calibur on most maps/mode combinations, but still can outfrag about 85-90% of the S rank players with relative ease. S+ 50 (hitting this a decent number at times as your best) and above should be grouped onto S+, while S70 - S+30 should be in S rank, then S70 and below be into S- rank. The only problem is how long match queuing would take for the new S+ bracket group with this this system I suggested in place.
Not creating S- was a weird choice to begin with. The only viable reason is simply their knowledge that there were not enough players overall. Though I think we already have the situation where S players are pushed back into the A's often enough. The good ones earn it back, the bad ones don't. I really don't have as much faith in "getting carried by squads" that a lot of others do. Scummers maybe, but squad carries just seem unlikely with the matchmaker's penchant for high level matching. From what I tend to see, if a player is getting "carried" to S, they were "carried" while playing S/S+ matches. I'm not sure that counts as getting "carried" unless the rest of their team is able to 3v4. On the contrary I feel more like I get "carried" (as the high rank player) when I play with lower rank people, not that I'm carrying them. The lobbies tend to be more balanced rather than stacked with top tier players. Maybe my experience isn't the norm and the matchmaker just loathes me though. I wouldn't doubt that. :)

Regarding S+ variance, though I have no qualms saying I am absolutely, positively not S+ material and never will be, I do understand what you mean. When I see S+ I expect an opponent I can almost never even hit. I have seen a few of them now and again that I can not only hit but win against, and I've had instances with TWO of them on my team who were almost useless and I was the one carrying the match. I either have no idea how they were possibly ever in S+, or they were for some reason intentionally losing. If even S+ is that messed up....what hope is there for the rest of the ranks? :confused:

CknSalad

Inkster Jr.
I know that Starcraft II has an MMR system where if you are a high Gold/Platinum rank alt account and winning like crazy, you will be matched up with high diamond/master level players. CS:GO also has an MMR system in place where ranks can vary +/- 2 slots where it will place you vs. 1-2 level lower players if you are having a poor MMR currently.

I do not know how Nintendo will mitigate the alt account issue as I have noticed that the S+ main account players are having the rank up this weapon to S/S+ rank trend on their stream lately. Alt accounts have just been an issue in any multiplayer game especially in Starcraft II now where bronze and silver leagues (two lowest rank levels) are filled to the brim with master/grandmaster ranked trolls.

I still think giving it a month would be more ideal to see how S and S+ rank lobbies fare.

Award

I know that Starcraft II has an MMR system where if you are a high Gold/Platinum rank alt account and winning like crazy, you will be matched up with high diamond/master level players. CS:GO also has an MMR system in place where ranks can vary +/- 2 slots where it will place you vs. 1-2 level lower players if you are having a poor MMR currently.

I do not know how Nintendo will mitigate the alt account issue as I have noticed that the S+ main account players are having the rank up this weapon to S/S+ rank trend on their stream lately. Alt accounts have just been an issue in any multiplayer game especially in Starcraft II now where bronze and silver leagues (two lowest rank levels) are filled to the brim with master/grandmaster ranked trolls.

I still think giving it a month would be more ideal to see how S and S+ rank lobbies fare.
You know, you probably just answered a good chunk of my question regarding the alts and what's going on. If there's a trend to rank up each weapon that explains fully the cyclical nature of it. And unfortunately is' creating huge problems in conjunction with the awful points system. That makes a lot of sense. But it's a pretty disastrous problem for at least the B's & A's. Probably the C's too. It makes the difficulty move WAY up so that the majority of ranks are mostly playing at the same level. For me, it's more fun having good games like that no matter what rank I am than dealing with the clueless teams. But that's because I stopped caring about rank before dipping back into it so I just kind of cringe as I see my rank plummet and just keep on playing for fun like it's TW. For anyone that really cares and is trying to move up, that has to be *REALLY* unpleasant. For me, so long as there's squdiboards and good squadmates I really don't care if I'm a C+ - I'm only interested in how I'm playing not about the letter. It would be a problem if I were trying to get into a clan that mandated basic rank or something though (which I won't be doing.)

Sad to hear that's happening with Starcraft too. I generally absolutely detest online mutiplayer games entirely for all of these reasons. Splatoon is the first one, literally since the 90's that actually grabbed my interest despite those issues. And back when I DID play them "squads" was pretty much the ONLY way to play - matchmaking lobbies didn't even exist back then :p

Probably the only way to mitigate alts is to build into the main game reasons to want to play on your main account instead, or to require name/address/phone etc to create an account and/or deny "disposable email addresses" from being used (hotmail etc) and allow only paid-for addresses. I know some services that do require that for signups, though I can't think of what they were at the moment.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Probably the only way to mitigate alts is to build into the main game reasons to want to play on your main account instead, or to require name/address/phone etc to create an account and/or deny "disposable email addresses" from being used (hotmail etc) and allow only paid-for addresses. I know some services that do require that for signups, though I can't think of what they were at the moment.
It's just me, but why do people really use alts in the first place? I would think it is much easier to try to level up and gain more good gear by staying on one account, while pounding new/weak players can't be that fun.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
@jsilva are you seeing this? Someone suggesting equalizing the numbers of players in each pool for the good of the game. If only a system existed to load balance the lobbies by forcing some players to move upward or downward toward the underpopulated pool as needed, based on an undetermined criteria.

If only.

;)
When you think about it it's actually a potentially effective way to balance the ranks in a floating system. By knocking players down in rank it reduces the amount of players who are not good enough to be in the rank, whether by undeserved winning streaks or a change of overall player skill. Extremely annoying for us, and perhaps the system (assuming that's what it's doing) overcompensates as well.

Even if rank balancing is part of what we see I feel like there's more going on though.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
It's just me, but why do people really use alts in the first place? I would think it is much easier to try to level up and gain more good gear by staying on one account, while pounding new/weak players can't be that fun.
I'm sure plenty of people do it for fun, whether it be to feel good about themselves for being so good with the lower ranks or just for a challenge to see how fast they can climb the ranks. I'm sure there are other reasons too.

For me, I created a new account late last autumn because I was hoping something was weird about my original account that made me have ridiculous losing streaks. After I got that new account up to S I created another account to get good at the Luna Blaster in a 'safe' place where my rank wouldn't suffer. I wasn't good at the Luna. I wouldn't create an alt account now, however.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom