• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ranked point system MUST change!

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
About the disconnecting things, you can just unplug your Ethernet wire if you're using it, there is not only the power off option. So it's not that easy to know if it's rage quit or pure problem.

About ratio, I agree with Award, this can't be used as a metric. Right, if your ratio is awesome, you have more chance to have done well, but when I look at the game, lots of players are aiming at the ratio and not doing well even when they do get it. I remembr having played with a Tentatek who had the best ratio of my team two times in a row, and we were all negative. He was probably thinking "what a bad team I had these two last games" or something, but he was totally responsible for our losses from my point of view, as we were in facts playing a 3v3 RM while he was away, picking up some players that had no weight on the action. Of course, Tentatek kinda have this role of killing people, playing hero and so on. But he had each time a whole 4 minutes to realise this wasn't what we needed at all.

On the other side, I won with a 0-7 N-ZAP with a KO on Bridge TC. It was quite fast, the N-ZAP took the tower very well, I took this opportunity to kill and we won easily. He was first on our team, showing he was winning a lot. Another time I lost a game mainly because a Dynamo was taking the zones everytime he approached it on Mahi. He ended at 2-9, first on his team, because we couldn't prevent it well enough. These are two examples but I saw many more too.

It would be wrong to reward the best ratio, as it's not always the best thing to go after: it would push the players to play this way. By the way, it's a good decision to put the players with more wins in the upper list, than the one with the most kills. It goes in this direction, showing the players there is more than just a team death match going on.
Agreed. K/D only tells one part of your team contribution. It's a very easy thing to fixate on so maybe that's why it's common to do so. Though we certainly should do our best in that area—K/D ratio is something I've been working to improve over the past month or so.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I'm fine with being scored as a team. That seems more real life and is good for us spoiled and self-entitled Americans to experience :) It is a virtue to be able to graciously be valued with those who potentially ruin things for us.

Interesting idea with resetting the ranks periodically. Maybe for casual gamers that would be upsetting. I'm not sure how I feel about it. There's got to be a better way. Whatever is there is ridiculous...
LOL! Well in my idea win/loss would still be team based, but player value would be individual for matchmaking purposes and point distribution (if the rank points are to be taken seriously for matchmaking purposes) would be based on performance. That's actually more like real life. An All-Star pitcher on a losing baseball team still trades for high value contract prices even though his team sucks, and a player with a poor batting average on a winning team still gets traded quick to a lesser team at a good rate. They don't say "oh, you played with [insert all-star pitcher here]" so we'll give you a LOT of money! It's based on their own track record.

More importantly it cuts off the self feeding problem of players that were carried/dropped by mismatches then start causing new mismatches in their new position which then causes MORE players to carry/lose due to these new mismatches which then they will cause NEW mismatches and before you know it you have what we have where every rank is littered with every skill level just in varying proportions.

Ladder resets are common. The vast majority of ranked games have latter resets. Some do it per "season" (i.e. the "season pass paid DLC" timespan) Some do it monthly, or whatever. It's actually bizarre and uncommon to not reset the ladders. I think Nintendo thought they were being slick and "beating the system" with the floating ladder system (i.e. it required no maintenance on their part, it would groom itself.) But the meta of any online game is constantly changing, and with the scoring system, the imbalances need resetting in the changing meta. The floating system theoretically handles that (by frustratingly having violent mood swings) but there's a reason that pretty much EVERY ladder resets. No doubt people would be upset by it, though the devs were clear that ranked is not casual, it's competitive (though I'd argue their idea that TW IS casual has gone out the window.) With the floating system it's kind of personally resetting individuals anyway via losing streaks. But what's frustrating about that is that the player pools are already polluted. A clean wipe puts everyone on equal footing again - no tainted pools to start with, so the ladder builds out cleanly again rather than having it filled with "dropped S+'s in B" and "carried C+'s" in S. Lots of S & S+ players are confident in their skill and the ability to get to that easily if you deserve it. If they're right, it should be a simple matter for them to climb back up. And with a reset, it's more likely they'd be right since it would be on pure skill again (briefly, thus the need for recurring resets.) It's the middle of the road players that know they got where they are with a lucky streak that are most upset. That's not the highly skilled crowd, and that's not the casual crowd (who's probably not getting past B- anyway.) It's the competitive crowed who wants to win but tends not to.

There's also a fun "splatfest" element to it. The reset can be a big festive party, Callie & Marie can announce the new start, etc. etc. Everyone gets the thrill of running out as a "noob C-" again. It makes the ranks a cyclical schedule and contest. Like at the start of the season in real sports. Imagine if sports teams just kept a running score since 1937 instead of resetting every few months of play (it's an annual season but most sports play only a few months a year)? :p

About the disconnecting things, you can just unplug your Ethernet wire if you're using it, there is not only the power off option. So it's not that easy to know if it's rage quit or pure problem.

About ratio, I agree with Award, this can't be used as a metric. Right, if your ratio is awesome, you have more chance to have done well, but when I look at the game, lots of players are aiming at the ratio and not doing well even when they do get it. I remembr having played with a Tentatek who had the best ratio of my team two times in a row, and we were all negative. He was probably thinking "what a bad team I had these two last games" or something, but he was totally responsible for our losses from my point of view, as we were in facts playing a 3v3 RM while he was away, picking up some players that had no weight on the action. Of course, Tentatek kinda have this role of killing people, playing hero and so on. But he had each time a whole 4 minutes to realise this wasn't what we needed at all.

On the other side, I won with a 0-7 N-ZAP with a KO on Bridge TC. It was quite fast, the N-ZAP took the tower very well, I took this opportunity to kill and we won easily. He was first on our team, showing he was winning a lot. Another time I lost a game mainly because a Dynamo was taking the zones everytime he approached it on Mahi. He ended at 2-9, first on his team, because we couldn't prevent it well enough. These are two examples but I saw many more too.

It would be wrong to reward the best ratio, as it's not always the best thing to go after: it would push the players to play this way. By the way, it's a good decision to put the players with more wins in the upper list, than the one with the most kills. It goes in this direction, showing the players there is more than just a team death match going on.
I always forget about the ethernet adapter. You're right, I'd guess the type of person who RQ's probably is the type using a wired connector. Though I've heard of issues with the WiiU's USB ethernet adapter is sometimes worse off than the wifi connection (and I always use enterprise grade wifi...so assuming WiiU's wifi adapter isn't awful (and being a first run Miracast device, I'd presume it's not) the wireless might actually be better.
TECHNICALLY it would still be possible to detect that - ethernet knows when it's a physical cable disconnect versus a service disconnect when the GND & signal pins are lost. At a hardware/driver level it actually could detect that. Not saying they should patch splatoon that way, but speaking purely of theory, it would be possible if they wanted to.

Great examples of the scoring issue. There are times when I wish they didn't display k/d at all on the stat screen. I do like using it as a guide to how well or poorly I did and/or how the team did in contrast. But it's often more telling if you lose than if you win. If you lose you can look at who did really awful at least to see if you were the problem or not. And looking at my own score, I sometimes get surprised. Some matches we lose, and I had a feeling that all match I was getting killed over and over again and that I did horrible, and then I see my K/d and realize it's positive, and I did better than I felt like I was doing. And after seeing, very frequently, the team with the worse k/d's being the winning team I'm not sure I value it as much as I used to (unless I was the only one on the objective...then I study those k/ds! ;) )

But the problem so many of us complain about with our teammates running out for "team deathmatch" and ignoring the objective, not painting anything etc, is probably at least 40% attributed to the presence of k/d on the stat screen as the only real numeric representation of you well you do, plus the fact that every single shooter in the past 20 years featured that as the only metric that mattered (TF aside, maybe.) It's a subtle balance because sometimes the "team deathmatch" guys really do keep you boxed in and prevent you from playing the objective. It's hard to quantify when that's the right strategy and when it's not. But that score makes people strive for that to prove they did well. I do it too, but I do it coupled with a sense of knowing what's typical for me and what situations arose (risky solo RM trips, etc.) Translating that to scoring however would be a massive undertaking. Very doable. But more in a "splatoon 2" sort of way. For Splatoon 1 I'd be content with band-aids that mitigate the problem and could easily understand a full and proper fix is not possible.

I have mixed feelings about stacking the player with the most wins at the top. I agree it's better than "most kills" but I wish they'd tally "controlled the zone the most times" or "held the tower/RM the most seconds" or something like that instead. The wins/losses can be so arbitrary, and I've seen too many players who clearly got where they were by getting lucky streaks that were atrocious in gameplay and on the k/d screen, never touched the objective, but they're at the top because apparently they've been winning while I have not. :mad:

In a typical Zones round, I'd say I reclaim the zone at minimum twice as often as anyone else on my team in MOST rounds. Regardless of weapon, even with the horrendous at inking range blaster, splat charger, and SSPro. Even excluding when I play "built for zone control" weapons like hydra and now dynamo. When it falls apart is when the enemy finally gains a solid push, it can be all but impossible to reclaim it when the rest of the team dies every time they try. It's always frustrating to see them up high on the list when it's clear it wasn't their zone claiming OR their fighting skill that won them those prior rounds. :(

Agreed. K/D only tells one part of your team contribution. It's a very easy thing to fixate on so maybe that's why it's common to do so. Though we certainly should do our best in that area—K/D ratio is something I've been working to improve over the past month or so.
It can be, and IS important....BUT I've been watching so many matches with the opposite effect.... it's not just a few outliers but fairly common now. The team that gets slaughtered wins, because they were slaughtered while RELENTLESSLY controlling the objective with a single mindedness. It's not that they didn't kill at all. But they kill about half as much as they get killed. It doesn't SOUND like it should work. But it does. I'm seriously thinking of that as a solid 4 player strategy. Doesn't work so much for snipers since that's the constant pressure, but for ground play... I've always played Zones that way and coincidentally zones has typically been my best mode. The weird meta of the past few weeks seems to be shifting that to TC though. I beat myself up if I don't get a positive k/d but I'm also keeping in mind the sheer volume of times that that negative k/ds, often deeply double digit negative k/ds, were the winning strategy. I mean matches where one team is 10/3, 14/7, 9/9/, 5/6 and loses and the team that's 9/14, 5/11, 3/12, 4/4 (I know the numbers don't add up, I'm just taking a general concept from various team overall totals ;)) wins. By knockout.

And even knowing that, it's still hard to get myself to accept negative k/d, and not look at "who did badly" by k/d. I think someone with a good k/d probably DID do well and contribute to the team. If they got rid of the enemy the enemy wasn't controlling the objective (unless they were racing out to kill but allowing the enemy to still inch the ojbective forward and/or allowing the enemy to let their turf creep out while they were not advancing their own turf at all.) But someone with a bad k/d may also have done the same.

Last edited:

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
In japanese version they call our Level, Rank. And our Rank, Ability/Skill (うでまえ).
Flushing a player's Ability/Skill points seems strange to me. Maybe resetting titles like splatfest on different season is ok!

Boscolot

Inkling
NNID
Bosco
It happens and is unfair. The thing is, over the long term I believe everyone ends up around the rank they are. Even if a drop a rank it is relatively easy to rank bank up and then you start with a fresh 30 points.

Award

In japanese version they call our Level, Rank. And our Rank, Ability/Skill (うでまえ).
Flushing a player's Ability/Skill points seems strange to me. Maybe resetting titles like splatfest on different season is ok!
Interesting information on the JP version. it actually makes it all the clearer, I think, that the way it currently works out isn't how they really intended it to work out to use the letter grade to represent "ability/skill" when it generally doesn't.

But it's not weird to flush the ability/skill points. Like I said that's how most ladder ranked games actually do it. The idea is: New metas form over time. Different weapons become popular, new techniques with different weapons evolve, new strategies and ways to use map terrain evolve, and based on any player stat/ranking system the player pools pollute naturally over time based on random chance if nothing else.

So the skill/ability is what develops over the defined period of time through a given meta. Then when the "season" is done, it's sort of the "end of meta #3" signal, and for the "start of meta #4" everyone is reset to a clean start. You do have to prove your ability/skill again, but obviously your skill didn't dissolve just because the score was reset, so assuming the developments of the current meta, and a fair scoring system, players should pretty rapidly slot back into their prior rating. Players that don't maybe didn't belong there to begin with and got lucky, OR got there in an older meta and must adapt to the new meta to return to the same skill rating for the current meta.

It keeps it from getting tainted by lucky streaks, unlucky streaks, and success through obsolete strategies. Also resets scummed ranks.

It happens and is unfair. The thing is, over the long term I believe everyone ends up around the rank they are. Even if a drop a rank it is relatively easy to rank bank up and then you start with a fresh 30 points.
I think different players with different play styles, playing at certain times of day, etc. are going to end up with different results based on matchmaker, what type of players play at that time of day, which region, etc.

As a result of shuffling my play times, and whatever other weird matchmaking issues crop up I seem to alternate between having terrible teams that really do not play well, or having very competent rank appropriate teams, but opponents that are playing a whole different level. With some balanced matches thrown in. As a result I cycle through four whole ranks routinely. That's just a frustrating system. A progressive ladder system with resets would instead present a system that you can always keep challenging yourself against the difficult opponents to improve and see if you can now match them rather than constantly cycling through "Why bother leaving spawn" and "Push 'A' to Win". I'd MUCH rather rise up the ladder to a point I'm outclassed where I can consistently work on learning from those players to beat them than getting shoved right back down to players who can barely play. You can't improve that way if you aren't consistently challenged by similarly skilled opponents.

Even with resets, what you say is still true (if not more so) - if they reset everyone, people can easily climb up to where they belong in the new "season."

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
Interesting information on the JP version. it actually makes it all the clearer, I think, that the way it currently works out isn't how they really intended it to work out to use the letter grade to represent "ability/skill" when it generally doesn't.

But it's not weird to flush the ability/skill points. Like I said that's how most ladder ranked games actually do it. The idea is: New metas form over time. Different weapons become popular, new techniques with different weapons evolve, new strategies and ways to use map terrain evolve, and based on any player stat/ranking system the player pools pollute naturally over time based on random chance if nothing else.

So the skill/ability is what develops over the defined period of time through a given meta. Then when the "season" is done, it's sort of the "end of meta #3" signal, and for the "start of meta #4" everyone is reset to a clean start. You do have to prove your ability/skill again, but obviously your skill didn't dissolve just because the score was reset, so assuming the developments of the current meta, and a fair scoring system, players should pretty rapidly slot back into their prior rating. Players that don't maybe didn't belong there to begin with and got lucky, OR got there in an older meta and must adapt to the new meta to return to the same skill rating for the current meta.

It keeps it from getting tainted by lucky streaks, unlucky streaks, and success through obsolete strategies. Also resets scummed ranks.

I think different players with different play styles, playing at certain times of day, etc. are going to end up with different results based on matchmaker, what type of players play at that time of day, which region, etc.

As a result of shuffling my play times, and whatever other weird matchmaking issues crop up I seem to alternate between having terrible teams that really do not play well, or having very competent rank appropriate teams, but opponents that are playing a whole different level. With some balanced matches thrown in. As a result I cycle through four whole ranks routinely. That's just a frustrating system. A progressive ladder system with resets would instead present a system that you can always keep challenging yourself against the difficult opponents to improve and see if you can now match them rather than constantly cycling through "Why bother leaving spawn" and "Push 'A' to Win". I'd MUCH rather rise up the ladder to a point I'm outclassed where I can consistently work on learning from those players to beat them than getting shoved right back down to players who can barely play. You can't improve that way if you aren't consistently challenged by similarly skilled opponents.

Even with resets, what you say is still true (if not more so) - if they reset everyone, people can easily climb up to where they belong in the new "season."
I remember this happening on Pokemon XY, they did reset ranking points when seasons change but there was something a bit different which I think Splatoon missed if they wanted to do the same. Pokemons with different traits were still being distributed so there were different elements added from one to another, I think that would be ok if Splatoon was still receiving updated. Other nice thing is that they had a Special mode which on every season get different rules to battle.
Maybe with those elements this would be a really interesting way of climbing again the stair, otherwise it would be more grind just to get almost everytime to the same ability level.

Boscolot

Inkling
NNID
Bosco

I know what you mean about the different times of day. There are some times I can jump on and dominate and others where I don't fee like I belong in my rank. The match ups are also all over the place. It does feel somewhat like poker where we all have our stories about bad beats. I'm just an ok player and have fallen out of S countless times and am finally at the point I can maintain it without worrying about dropping to A+. Each time I fell out of S it would get easier to get back and I would even use it to practice weapons I wasn't as good with. On certain maps and modes I can approach S+ and on others I will drop. It feels like its because of match ups (and sometimes it is) but I think that my play style can carry better sometimes than others. It feels like an unfair system but there are these players (gods) that can carry their teams to S+ 99.

Resets would be interesting, but frankly it would be messy having all of the S+ level players starting over and mixed with legitimate beginners.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
A formula for making KDR a thing in addition to some other stuff that I made up

R is your teams total rank compared to enemy teams rank:
C-=1 C=2 C+=3 B-=4 B=5 B+=6 A-=7 A=8 A+=9 (skip to make it harder for S ranks) S=11 S+=12
and you take the difference in your rank compared to enemy rank and it will be R

B is how much further you pushed the objective than the enemy, or if you lost, how much further the enemy pushed the objective than you

K is your KDR, you which is your kills divided by your deaths. If you get no deaths, it equals maximum K points (I'll explain at bottom)

P is to help/hurt you depending on your rank points, which already exists. It is 2 points when you have 0-30 points, and -2 if you have 70-99 points

Win: 9+[R/3]+[B0.05]+[K0.75]+P (divide all that by 2 if S rank/2.5 in S+ rank) (Multiply by 2 if C- rank/1.5 if C rank/1.2 if C- rank)

Loss: -1+[R/3]-[B0.05]+[K0.75]+P (divide all that by 2 if S rank/2.5 in S+ rank)

Extra Notes:
R caps at 6 and -6 (So it won't go more than 2 points in any direction)
B caps at 100 (if someone gets a knockout), totaling a maximum of 2 extra points to gain or lose after multiplying by .05
K caps at 4, so if can't give your more than 3 extra points after multiplying by .75
I made the KDR points always give you a bonus, so it can help you lose less points.
Every variable number would round separately before calculation
Therefore, if you get a little less than 1:1 KDR, you can still get a bonus point (example:4 kills 5 deaths is 0.8, 0.8x0.75=0.6 rounded to 1, giving one extra point)

Maximum Points for Win: 9+[6/3]+[100x0.05]+[4x0.75]+2=20

Minimum Points for Win: 9+[-6/3]+[1x0.05]+[0x0.75]-2=5

So, if you do really well against a better team, you get lots of points, but if you do bad against a way worse team but still win somehow, you get very few points

Maximum Points for Loss: -11+[-6/3]-[100x0.05]+[0x0.75-2]=-17

Minimum Points for Loss: -11+[6/3]-[1x0.05]+[4x0.75]+2=-4

So, if you do really bad against a way worse team, you lose lots of points, but if you do good against a way better team but still lost, you lose very few points

The maximum and minimum are a little high if you compare them, and you lose a few less points than you gain, so this obviously isn't even near perfect since it's very hard to make a balanced rank system, but maybe someone could make a better rank formula based off of this.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
That's certainly interesting Anaru and I do appreciate your efforts :)

Though I feel that any attempt to measure performance in a game like Splatoon is destined to be more unfair in the bigger picture. There are too many ways to contribute or hurt your team that can't be easily measured. K/D in particular is relevant to someone's performance for sure but is also a dangerous way to measure performance overall since there is so much more going on.

And what about situations where the clearly weaker team won primarily because of an accidental and favourable timing of events? Should the stronger team be penalised in the same way as if the weaker team truly outplayed them?

It seems to me that rank is the most generic way to assess and therefore doesn't assume anything about the game other than the basic premise that a higher ranked team generally should beat a lower ranked team.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Further to my original post...

I played a game yesterday where there was a really long delay before the players were shown when the game starts. When the players were revealed it turned out to be a 3vs2 in favour of my team.

Of course my team won, and I won 5 points, which as an S is like 10 or 12 points in A/A+. That's ridiculous.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Further to my original post...

I played a game yesterday where there was a really long delay before the players were shown when the game starts. When the players were revealed it turned out to be a 3vs2 in favour of my team.

Of course my team won, and I won 5 points, which as an S is like 10 or 12 points in A/A+. That's ridiculous.
Yeah, if people d/c, it still used all the players that should be in it during the end result for some reason =/

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
The wins/losses can be so arbitrary, and I've seen too many players who clearly got where they were by getting lucky streaks that were atrocious in gameplay and on the k/d screen, never touched the objective, but they're at the top because apparently they've been winning while I have not. :mad:
I saw lots of players say that. Almost as many as "I can't rank up cause my teammates did bad"... But that's wrong. It's true you can have a lucky or unlucky streak, for some games. But that's can't be true for 100 games, so it can't be an excuse forever. There are some players (including myself) that just never lose 10 games in a row (unless they are trying some kind of weapon they usually don't, as I tried E-Liter recently). Because it's actually veeeery unlikely to have 10 times in a row people doing worse than your opponents. It's way more likely that you're part of the reason why you lost these ten games. That's what the law of large numbers is about, too: the more games you consider, the less relevant luck is.

By the way, playing the E-Liter made me rank back as low as S38 on 3 days. Then I switched up to the Turboblaster Pro Deco, which I try to master, and went back to S+ with almost no losses (maybe 3-5). I'm pretty sure there are some guys way better than me, that would do the same in S+ rank. My point is: luck is secondary. If you're strong enough you'll just go up, because your opponents as your allies are all worse than you, and you'll have more weight than anyone. Like, just go in B or C rank... Would you really stay stuck there "because you're unlucky"...? No, clearly that's not gonna cut it. That's the same for other ranks.

Oh, even with E-Liter, I didn't lose 10 games in a row. That's not that easy to lose 10 times in a row... Unless you're unaware of some kind of mistake, might even be psychic one. But that would still be the player's fault, not luck.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I saw lots of players say that. Almost as many as "I can't rank up cause my teammates did bad"... But that's wrong. It's true you can have a lucky or unlucky streak, for some games. But that's can't be true for 100 games, so it can't be an excuse forever. There are some players (including myself) that just never lose 10 games in a row (unless they are trying some kind of weapon they usually don't, as I tried E-Liter recently). Because it's actually veeeery unlikely to have 10 times in a row people doing worse than your opponents. It's way more likely that you're part of the reason why you lost these ten games. That's what the law of large numbers is about, too: the more games you consider, the less relevant luck is.

By the way, playing the E-Liter made me rank back as low as S38 on 3 days. Then I switched up to the Turboblaster Pro Deco, which I try to master, and went back to S+ with almost no losses (maybe 3-5). I'm pretty sure there are some guys way better than me, that would do the same in S+ rank. My point is: luck is secondary. If you're strong enough you'll just go up, because your opponents as your allies are all worse than you, and you'll have more weight than anyone. Like, just go in B or C rank... Would you really stay stuck there "because you're unlucky"...? No, clearly that's not gonna cut it. That's the same for other ranks.

Oh, even with E-Liter, I didn't lose 10 games in a row. That's not that easy to lose 10 times in a row... Unless you're unaware of some kind of mistake, might even be psychic one. But that would still be the player's fault, not luck.
Necessary and true, seeing everything as luck or unluck seriously deprives you from learning from your own mistakes. Know how to act WITH your team, not just someone complaning from the first time you see one of them making a mistake or acting all Booyah because the other 3 are superstars.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet

I think you might be inadvertently arguing Award's point :)

There are players who are a lot better than others, and you may be one of them. Your 'B and C ranks and unlucky losses argument' is the point—you shouldn't have to be that much better than the rank you're in to overcome the imbalances the matchmaker can create.

Those imbalances can be significant and can continue long enough for the player to lose several ranks. I could give several examples which demonstrate it's not entirely the player's fault. One of them was when I was hanging in the S 90's for a couple of days, and then suddenly over the course of a few days lost most of my games down to A+ 20-something. I asked my son, who is extremely good, to play on my account. He played awesome, regularly getting K/D's like 17/5 with good gameplay, but still continued my losing streak down to A 30.

I'm not good enough to always make up for a clearly weaker team, but I shouldn't have to be just to stay in a rank with similarly skilled players.

Necessary and true, seeing everything as luck or unluck seriously deprives you from learning from your own mistakes. Know how to act WITH your team, not just someone complaning from the first time you see one of them making a mistake or acting all Booyah because the other 3 are superstars.
When I complain about losing streaks it's because my team as a whole is clearly weaker, and because my team before that was clearly weaker, and the one before that, etc. Often enough my teams aren't bad during losing streaks, they're just not as good as the opposing team.

Yes we need to look at how we can improve, what else can we do anyway? That's important. Maybe we could have saved the game! But that doesn't mean your skill is the reason you won/lost. If the games are balanced between teams then your own performance is more relevant, but during long losing streaks it's not anything like balanced teams.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I'm normally careful with losing streaks, mostly because I lose my head after losing 3 in a row, that's when I stop. The more I lose in a row, the more I complain, more mistakes I do like a giant snowball that eats up my rank.
It's not like a Matchmaking God is punishing us, just stop playing ranked and return more calm on the next day/rotation. Mindgame is important, sometimes I have to take a deep breath during the match and change the strategy, but I can't do that angry.

Award

I know what you mean about the different times of day. There are some times I can jump on and dominate and others where I don't fee like I belong in my rank. The match ups are also all over the place. It does feel somewhat like poker where we all have our stories about bad beats. I'm just an ok player and have fallen out of S countless times and am finally at the point I can maintain it without worrying about dropping to A+. Each time I fell out of S it would get easier to get back and I would even use it to practice weapons I wasn't as good with. On certain maps and modes I can approach S+ and on others I will drop. It feels like its because of match ups (and sometimes it is) but I think that my play style can carry better sometimes than others. It feels like an unfair system but there are these players (gods) that can carry their teams to S+ 99.

Resets would be interesting, but frankly it would be messy having all of the S+ level players starting over and mixed with legitimate beginners.
Yeah, I think that's a big factor here, however, I haven't found a pattern to it either. Last week, Sunday afternoon suddenly became horrendously BRUTAL, I was getting trashed all the way to B+. That pattern continued Monday night as well. Yet this week, it was Sunday afternoon that I managed to recover from that fiasco all the way to A+ and it was *EASY*. In fact A->A+ was easier than B+->A- for some reason. I thought maybe "Sunday" was the magic answer. Maybe it has something to do with Splatfest? All the angry players that missed a day of ranked or something were out for blood :) Sometimes the matchmaker does position weird teams. Take an A- lobby that has 4 A+ players. Sense would say that the A+'s s would distribute 2 and 2. No it distributes all 4 on one team. Individually I have no trouble dispatching any of them....but the rest of my team can not...it's a grist mill. And I can't 1v4 them all. Double that if one of them happens to be outplaying me consistently. But other times like yesterday, even with the other team outranking me, the wins come pretty easy. It definitely seems like "whoever is online" mostly during one time period or another reshuffles the ranks to be harder or more difficult. Like it's really a different rank. Generally S+ players move very differently from most lower ranked players. When I start seeing B+'s and A-'s that move like an S+ I take notice. Some of them are alts. Not all of them can be. Or if they are, the sheer number of alts is part of whats creating these different metas. There's an S+ subtier of C+. Another argument for a periodic reset.

Resets wouldn't be so messy. I mean we already have the alts that are making it messy in the same way. This would actually reduce the number of alts. It would be no messier than Splatfest for a week or so after reset, but the skilled players will VERY quickly advance through ranks back to their natural zones. The ones that never should have moved up wouldn't. Or wouldn't do so as fast. Someone currently at B+ or above would make it through the C's in 2 hours, possibly up to B+ in 3 or 4, just allowing for natural variability. That's really what we have anyway, 3 ranks. C- through B; B+ through S; S+. Players seem pretty transient through ranks in either of those REAL ranks, and seem to not be transient at all between those brackets (or if they are recover very very quickly.)

As @jsilva said, that's kind of my point right there! Statistically that kind of losing streak shouldn't happen, but they do. Why? What you're proposing is player error....but when said player is consistently the team leader win, or lose, it's hard to argue that the problem with losing is that the player that's dominating isn't dominating ENOUGH. What you describe is something I have seen many, many S+ ranked players propose, and I think it comes from a skewed sense of normal. Said S+ players and I'm guessing you're among them are so overwhelming, so exceptionally skilled, so above even the top rank's majority player base, that you're used to "being the difference" and being the one to carry the team to victory. To a degree, that's what S+ IS - it's a tier just for those players. By nature, it's S+'s fighting S+'s. One has to lose. So the ones that consistently remain there are the ones that can fairly consistently dominate most other S+'s. Anyone who can not only achieve S+, but remain consistently in S+ isn't going to be looking from a normal perspective based on your own player skill as you've already proven you're better than most of the best. But S+ is a microcosm. A trap designed to keep those players separated from everyone else so they don't rain on the parade. (Except on Splatfest days :p)

What you're arguing is that the requirement for victory and advancement is to be so good you alone are what carries the team to victory, even if the rest of your team is not skilled enough. What you're missing is that very idea is precisely the one the developers explicitly set out to prevent by introducing the team-scoring system (that we're saying has other flaws.) They did NOT want to have individual performance metrics specifically because they wanted it to be based on team play (a very Japanese ideal) rather than the glory seeking heros that go it solo to advance at the expense of their teams which is something common in other (read American designed) ranked shooters.

Ironically your idea of how to work the system is precisely what they designed this system to prevent. It's supposed to be a win of a similarly performing team, not one super player dominating the other team with 3 minions trailing behind cleaning up the scraps. For the players who can do that, they idea is they'll reach their level where they can't - and that's the baseline for starting their real tier. For the players who can do that across ANY rank,' that's why they designed the S+ trap to let them all fight each other for primacy. Outside S+, if you have one super player dominating, that player should not be in that rank or in competition for that rank to begin with, they should be higher.

I'm normally careful with losing streaks, mostly because I lose my head after losing 3 in a row, that's when I stop. The more I lose in a row, the more I complain, more mistakes I do like a giant snowball that eats up my rank.
It's not like a Matchmaking God is punishing us, just stop playing ranked and return more calm on the next day/rotation. Mindgame is important, sometimes I have to take a deep breath during the match and change the strategy, but I can't do that angry.
I'm kind of the opposite most times. I don't really get annoyed and angry at the game until it gets to the point of pure ridiculousness. Matches that never ever should have happened ("I know, this is an A ranked game. I'll give team A 2 B+'s and an A-, and Team B 3 S's and an A+!") when it starts going bad I'll tend to get more focused and try to carry the team rather than play with the team. Instead of doing badly, my K/D generally DOES improve, and I tend to be more daring/risky with the RM/tower as a front lines player. Often the result is that I DO perform better in terms of K/D, and am the one pushing the objective more, often switching from my normal specialty weapons (eliters, hydras, rollers) to a more versatile shooter or blaster with the assumption that I have to take point directly which is what I reserve those weapons for - when my real weapons fail, I'll use the boring ones. When that fails numerous times (and I"m already playing 2 ranks below my normal rank!) only then is it time to get frustrated.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
That's an interesting approach, I have only one weapon I go ranked, that's Octobrush. I normally focus in one weapon at time, until I reach enough data to prove my weak and strong modes+maps.
I'm a real angry person when comes to games, so I have to take control of my anger :D

Award

That's an interesting approach, I have only one weapon I go ranked, that's Octobrush. I normally focus in one weapon at time, until I reach enough data to prove my weak and strong modes+maps.
I'm a real angry person when comes to games, so I have to take control of my anger :D
LOL. My early problem with Splatoon is that I love playing ALL the weapons. I still do, but i worked to narrow the list to what you see in my sig. Yeah, that's the "narrow" list :)

I've mostly narrowed it to a single main per mode, or set of a few mains that vary based on map and mood of the day for the mode. That applies to solo queue, squads are different where I'll play whatever compliments whatever anyone else is playing.

Oh, your main in your sig is the inkbrush :p. This weekend I added the Octobrush Nouveau as my primary RM main, so, yay Team Octobrush! :D

But since I love the specialty weapons, and am arguably best with them, I realize that by nature they're not versatile to "any role that needs doing at any moment" as shooters and blasters are, so I always keep them on reserve, mainly SSPro & the Rapid Blaster Deco/Blaster/CRange Blaster, so if things are going bad with multiple lobbies in random I can switch out to one of those and be a more generic "any role." It's kind of boring, but it generally should work. When that stops working, I know the matchmaker has it in for me, and my screen will have very not nice words told to it at a not soft volume. :p

sammich

Inkling Cadet
the game IS team-based, and your team's ability to work together is more important than your wanting to be the team hero with a nice KDR.
but then why does it shuffle the teams every match?

and while it's nice to say "oh, that player that carried the other team belongs in a higher rank,"
but the players on the other team shouldn't have to pay for the other team getting lucky.

--------

the way it is now, winning a match means you get +points, meaning eventually you get a rank up, which means the game is saying that winning = you are a better player than your current score. when you lose you get -points, meaning eventually a rank down = you are a worse player than your current score. but is that really the case?

maybe. but not necessarily. there is such a high luck factor from the way the teams are formed. sometimes there is a horrible player on one of the teams, sometimes there is a really amazing player on the other team. sometimes that terrible/wonderful player is you. but it is not winning or losing that proves that, necessarily.

of course, there should be value given towards winning and losing as it DOES prove how well you've handled the teams you've worked with -- but solely using your history of team cohesion (keep in mind that your team cohesion already affects your performance on a whole regardless of how you're scored) to determine your rank is like trying to fit an octopus-sized peg in a squid-shaped hole... kinda like the basic-AF rolling system for customizing our gear.

Last edited:

Award

the game IS team-based, and your team's ability to work together is more important than your wanting to be the team hero with a nice KDR.
but then why does it shuffle the teams every match?
That's a really good question. The idea behind it I would think is that it means you can work with any team within your rank and no one team gets the advantage of on better than average player for too long. But I also agree it denies any chance for team building and understanding each other's tactics and how to use them, and worse, the enemy now knows your tactics. For a shooter that won't matter much. For a stealth weapon, charger,s brushes, rollers, etc it means your enemy now keenly knows your hiding spots, your RM/Tower tactics, etc because you showed them this when they were on your team! It's counterproductive. And the good ranked series I've had have all been when they let me keep a teammate for a while.

You could say they want to test your skill both with and against the people in the same rank, but rarely do you get the same ranks in the lobby, and that doesn't account for squads counting for rank.

and while it's nice to say "oh, that player that carried the other team belongs in a higher rank,"
but the players on the other team shouldn't have to pay for the other team getting lucky.
Yeah, and with the scoring system that's a hard one to change. You have to go up the ladder which means the system needs to efficiently filter skilled players up the ladder. Some of that just has to be accepted - the super players will be there influencing teams until they move up. Where it goes wrong is the bad systems then force those skilled players back DOWN. Should B+'s ever have to face me as "one of their own?" No, that's ridiculous...but when I go on a losing streak, that's just what ends up happening. They should have had to deal with me once and not have me taint that player pool after I moved on unless I massively start sucking and genuinely should be moved down. EFFICIENTLY moving good players up the ladder to their appropriate slot and out of a lower slot as fast as possible should be the goal of any ladder system. It keeps the ranks healthy. It's not a matter of rewarding good players quickly, it's a matter of getting them as far away from poorer players as possible as fast as possible so they don't mess things up.

the way it is now, winning a match means you get +points, meaning eventually you get a rank up, which means the game is saying that winning = you are a better player than your current score. when you lose you get -points, meaning eventually a rank down = you are a worse player than your current score. but is that really the case?

maybe. but not necessarily. there is such a high luck factor from the way the teams are formed. sometimes there is a horrible player on one of the teams, sometimes there is a really amazing player on the other team. sometimes that terrible/wonderful player is you. but it is not winning or losing that proves that, necessarily.

of course, there should be value given towards winning and losing as it DOES prove how well you've handled the teams you've worked with -- but solely using your history of team cohesion (keep in mind that your team cohesion already affects your performance on a whole regardless of how you're scored) to determine your rank is like trying to fit an octopus-sized peg in a squid-shaped hole... kinda like the basic-AF rolling system for customizing our gear.
Absolutely! It's just so muddled. Even squads now. Between the fact that an A lobby never has any A's in it, and usually the higher ranked players are all stacked on one team and then it adjusts the points based on that, and the fact that if you happen to get lousy players that outrank you on your team it deducts MORE points from your score ,dragging you down, and the fact that now there's so many alts so that "C+" your fighting might REALLY be a tournament ladder S+ player, but they'll hardly give you points playing with them because you had the B+'s on your team (against the 3 A-'s and a C+ that's really an S+) it goes beyond "luck" and into "it's as random as TW, but you get stiffer penalties than rewards".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom