• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Rapid Blaster Pro Deco: Analysis and Thoughts

Noise Tank

Full Squid
I'm just not entirely sure carrying more than like, a set of damage up is worth it.
I used to run 2 piece of pure dmg up with 1 pure special saver on the stock rb for the bubble but after running all dmg up on rapid pro for so long it's hard to go back. This is coming from someone who uses nothing but rapid blasters. Try it

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
great sub and special for this weapon! Put on a few damage ups and you're good to go!

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
After using it a little more and letting the fresh paint dry a little, I'm not as into it as I was originally. It's not bad, but the RBP still has an issue with being map dependent. Skate park was in rotation yesterday and it was pretty terrible there, actually. The range is long which isn't needed there (unless it's sniper long), it still has limitations up close, even with disruptor that requires getting too far away too fast to make use of it, and the fast but still slow RoF makes it hard to recover from an enemy that knows how to close in on an open map to counter a blaster. And the 3hko from area damage/2hko direct coupled with the map and the speed made it very unsafe to wield there. Clearing the top of the center tower with it was a lot of fun though!

RB Deco fared a lot better there with the same hko rate but much faster fire, and still long enough to clear the periphery of the center tower easily (or use a bomb), and the regular blaster fared a whole lot better with the wider AoE/1hko/2hko rocking the same disruptors as a sub.

RBPD still performed much better than the dog that is the range blaster, ,though. I hate that thing, it's far too slow for it's own good. RBPD is everything range blaster should have been.

Anyone looking to include RBPD in their mains has to really carefully consider the map pairing, There are many pairings in which it won't be a wise choice and a few that it will own. This thing makes Mahi downright easy. But it's not the most versatile weapon.

Dj.D

Inkling
NNID
Dj.D25
So, I am liking this weapon. I like it a lot better than the original Rapid Blaster Pro, since it's a little easier to deal with those who try close in, using the disrupter. I like the Rapid Blaster Pro Deco almost as much as the Rapid Blaster Deco.

Though I have a question on it's use in Camp Triggerfish. Is my technique of locking down the area near the middle dirty? Cheap? I haven't seen others use it before. There's been matches in Turf Wars where I used either the Rapid Blaster Pro Deco or the Rapid Blaster Deco from the platform at the middle and made it feel impossible for my opponents to pass by towards the large area on the side of the map., either by the bridge below, or the wall above with careful aiming. Only certain weapons can get me. Because of me, a few matches had the opposing team have very little turf covered, even after the floodgates went down. One match had a couple of our opponents have less than 100 points.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Though I have a question on it's use in Camp Triggerfish. Is my technique of locking down the area near the middle dirty? Cheap? I haven't seen others use it before. There's been matches in Turf Wars where I used either the Rapid Blaster Pro Deco or the Rapid Blaster Deco from the platform at the middle and made it feel impossible for my opponents to pass by towards the large area on the side of the map., either by the bridge below, or the wall above with careful aiming. Only certain weapons can get me. Because of me, a few matches had the opposing team have very little turf covered, even after the floodgates went down. One match had a couple of our opponents have less than 100 points.
You are most certainly not the only person doing this. A couple days ago when Camp was in the rotation I was doing exactly that. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This weapon is perfect for zoning, keeping the enemies at bay and protecting your side of the field, preventing them from moving forward. Camp Triggerfish allows the RBPD to excel at this. Every weapon has "a map" except ELiter and .96 Gal, which has every map.

Camp Triggerfish is the RBPD's map among a couple others. Port Mackerel also being one.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
You are most certainly not the only person doing this. A couple days ago when Camp was in the rotation I was doing exactly that. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This weapon is perfect for zoning, keeping the enemies at bay and protecting your side of the field, preventing them from moving forward. Camp Triggerfish allows the RBPD to excel at this. Every weapon has "a map" except ELiter and .96 Gal, which has every map.

Camp Triggerfish is the RBPD's map among a couple others. Port Mackerel also being one.
Well, neither E-Liter nor either .96 Gal. is any good at Kelp Dome...but I see what you mean.

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
So, I am liking this weapon. I like it a lot better than the original Rapid Blaster Pro, since it's a little easier to deal with those who try close in, using the disrupter. I like the Rapid Blaster Pro Deco almost as much as the Rapid Blaster Deco.

It's not dirty, it's what you're supposed to do. You're not going to flank and invade their base with a Rapid Blaster Pro.

My personal favorite thing to do on Triggerfish turf war is shooting below the bridge when they're trying to cross it, thinking they're safe behind the small yellow walls. You can feel the confusion while they're getting splatted by indirect shots from below.

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
I'm personally liking the RpBPD more than the RpBP at this time. Disruptors are much easier on the ink tank, allowing myself more shots when I need them and being more readily available than Seekers. They're also much better for checking corners or enemy ink for potential ambushers. Killer Wail is also way more accessible than Inkzooka and can still be used to harass chargers or deny area to the enemy team.

Sometimes I do miss having Seekers for the mobility options though. Going shoot -> swim -> shoot -> swim -> ... is much slower than dropping a boat and riding it to mid. This is particularly important on Camp, because you want to get there before the chargers can get set up and to give yourself more time to cut off enemies that are coming up their hill. Being able to get a surprise kill by dropping a boat onto a nearby enemy or by jamming it into a wall is also sometimes fun.

I'm not sure if this is something that's exclusively for RpBPD, or if I need to start doing this for RpBP as well, but I find that I am jumping back to spawn pretty often with RpBPD. My options at close range aren't exactly great, so I don't think risking close range encounters is a good idea.

I'm currently going with 3 main damage ups, 3 sub damage ups, 3 sub ink recoveries, 2 sub quick super jumps and 1 sub run speed up. I'd rather have the run speed up be ink recovery or quick super jump tbh. Not sure if the investment into damage up is overkill, but I started nailing kills via splash more consistently when I stack so much. I don't need special charge up or special saver, and I shouldn't need swim speed or run speed bonuses if I'm keeping myself aware and laying down Disruptors.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I'm personally liking the RpBPD more than the RpBP at this time. Disruptors are much easier on the ink tank, allowing myself more shots when I need them and being more readily available than Seekers. They're also much better for checking corners or enemy ink for potential ambushers. Killer Wail is also way more accessible than Inkzooka and can still be used to harass chargers or deny area to the enemy team.

Sometimes I do miss having Seekers for the mobility options though. Going shoot -> swim -> shoot -> swim -> ... is much slower than dropping a boat and riding it to mid. This is particularly important on Camp, because you want to get there before the chargers can get set up and to give yourself more time to cut off enemies that are coming up their hill. Being able to get a surprise kill by dropping a boat onto a nearby enemy or by jamming it into a wall is also sometimes fun.

I'm not sure if this is something that's exclusively for RpBPD, or if I need to start doing this for RpBP as well, but I find that I am jumping back to spawn pretty often with RpBPD. My options at close range aren't exactly great, so I don't think risking close range encounters is a good idea.

I'm currently going with 3 main damage ups, 3 sub damage ups, 3 sub ink recoveries, 2 sub quick super jumps and 1 sub run speed up. I'd rather have the run speed up be ink recovery or quick super jump tbh. Not sure if the investment into damage up is overkill, but I started nailing kills via splash more consistently when I stack so much. I don't need special charge up or special saver, and I shouldn't need swim speed or run speed bonuses if I'm keeping myself aware and laying down Disruptors.
That's a fine analysis bro, but you might want to look at this for abbrev reference: http://squidboards.com/threads/weapon-abbreviations.6279/

Dj.D

Inkling
NNID
Dj.D25
It's not dirty, it's what you're supposed to do. You're not going to flank and invade their base with a Rapid Blaster Pro.

My personal favorite thing to do on Triggerfish turf war is shooting below the bridge when they're trying to cross it, thinking they're safe behind the small yellow walls. You can feel the confusion while they're getting splatted by indirect shots from below.
Yeah, I've done the same thing and it feels pretty good to do that, since other weapons have a hard time reaching opponents on those net bridges.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Yeah, I've done the same thing and it feels pretty good to do that, since other weapons have a hard time reaching opponents on those net bridges.
Actually that's an interesting question; can Disruptors hit through grates? I know Point Sensors can (and bombs but that's evident).

buttpockets

Inkling
NNID
DuniaMimpi
I just tried it out today and the sub is sooooo gooood. I've gotten many kills utilizing the disruptors. However, I do think I should use ink saver sub because a couple of times I found myself disrupting someone, then running out of ink to fire at them and then being splatted.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I just tried it out today and the sub is sooooo gooood. I've gotten many kills utilizing the disruptors. However, I do think I should use ink saver sub because a couple of times I found myself disrupting someone, then running out of ink to fire at them and then being splatted.
Ink Saver Main actually might be what you need there. Disruptors are pretty ink-efficient, as two can be thrown with a full tank, but the main weapon is very ink-inefficient (I think it's 11 or 12 shots before the tank is depleted at default), and this is a 2-shot weapon.

Award

I took this out again yesterday after having a very bad run with RBD (splatted constantly, few splats, and inefficient use of ink consuming suction bombs.) And this one performed great in the Port/Depot mix-up. This might actually be moving into replace RBD as my preferred rapid blaster. It seems map dependent, and I'm very very unreliable with any blaster but luna. I'll be great with one one day, then terrible with it the next and great with another, so it's hard to tell, but I'm finding this one more and more favorable. Given it's long straight inking though, as a charger main, it's still hard to choose when to use this versus a splat charger.

That said, yesterday was weird for me. I was doing pretty well with range blaster, too. And I NEVER do well with range blaster! In fact I did better with both range blaster and RBPD than with RBD OR vanilla blaster, which is just weird.

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
As far as l'm concerned, RBPs do very well on Camp Triggerfish (probably their best map on every mode), Arowana Mall, Walleye Warehouse, Port Mackerel and Bluefin Depot. They're also good on Kelp Dome and Hammerhead Bridge but it's more situational and depends of the mode (Dome splatzones is really hard and of course you're very dependant of your teammates for coverage, while Bridge splatzones gives you one specific role which is to stand at that one particular point and deny the other team access to the zone). Personally l'm struggling a lot on Moray Towers (this weapon is a great charger hunter but Moray's layout makes it harder than it should be) and mostly on Urchin Underpass, which seems to be the worst map for the weapon. Too many elements blocking your shots and a layout that either favors chargers or mid/close range mobile weapons but is terrible for the weird in-between gameplay of the RBPs.

Award

Urchin underpass gives me problems with a lot of weapons. Especially chargers, actually. I was actually doing pretty ok with this there yesterday, and also with range blaster.
But it did seem map specific last time I used it. The one that was chewing me up originally was skatepark. Blasters in general (other than luna) are trouble there. All the slopes make using the AoE really difficult. Though I was going out of my way to NOT use this like a sniper since I'd just take a charger if I wanted to do that.

Moray...hmm. I haven't played it on Moray yet. But i can't think of what would be too bad about it there. It fires like a charger in long straight lines. Shooting up the ramps at the wraparounds seem like a perfect place for any longer range blaster if you're relying on AoE. Hunting chargers shouldn't be bad. The "main" perch above middle should be reached by it, and a disruptor interferes with charging. All the perches should be within RBP range - the trick is just getting close enough to use it, but that's an issue the sloshers have too.

buttfield

Full Squid
from personal experience, it's fairly potent, keeping similar power to the rb, with some firing speed traded for a long ideal range
keeping at a long range is obviously important, and the disruptor is comparable to the rb's ink mine in that respect
wail emphasizes the long-ranged and indirect combat aspects, and can assist in counter-sniping and objective capture/defense

i'd say some good abilities are bomb range, run/swim speed, damage up, and special charge up

stats could probably stand to be added to the op as well (65/35/30)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom