• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

RP Ideas? Post Them Here!

Cephalobro

I have one idea in mind, I basically have the major parts figured out. I call this RP: The Escape From Octo Valley, it is about the Ringed Octarians trying to escape the place that used to be their home, the reason for escape is that the Crimson Octarians want to capture them for farming purposes like forcing Ringed Octolings to cut their tentacles to create more soldiers for the Crimson Octarians. Moreover, the Crimson Octarians tried to capture certain other species like Inklings as well so they wouldn't cause them any trouble as well as luring even more Inklings into their trap.

For how the RP is played, you can have as many characters as you want. You can choose to be an Inkling, a Ringed Octoling (or just a Ringed Octarian in general) or even a Crimson Octoling (or a Crimson Octarian) who rebelled against his or her own army, Inktolings are allowed as well. Octolings without a species name are also allowed.

The structure of the plot will be differs in which it will have both a free and a linear structure, whenever the plot enters its free mode, players can do what they want with their characters as long as it doesn't mess with the plot (for example, character development and free character interactions are allowed), but once the plot enters its linear mode, the plot will advance and depending on the situation, combat will be involved.

So here are what the character sheets look like:

Name(s):

Species:

Gender(s):

Ink Color(s):

Eye color(s):

Age(s):

Appearance(s):

Backstory(ies):

Personality(ies):

Last edited:

HighColorSunset

Pro Squid
NNID
AmazingStrange9
Switch Friend Code
SW-0416-0878-7104
I had an idea for a more lighthearted RP, I call it "Infestation in Inkopolis!" and it's about the Octolings arriving at the surface for the first time. I'm planning on there being a sign-up thread and an OoC thread. As for a bio system, I haven't figured that out yet, but there should at least be a bare minimum (name, age, all that simple stuff). As for the structure, I'm not sure how it's going to go but just for now, it's a free structure. People can use both their older OCs and ones they just made up, and canon cameos are allowed.

Last edited:

Yin_

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2325-6454-5517
I was thinking of RP stuff yesterday and came up with an idea. What if I made some sort of RP that made the players choose weakness and strengths that played into the story in some way? So that got me thinking. Here’s what I’ve come up with.

Each inkling/octoling/being gives themselves one strength and one weakness that makes their character unique. For example, someone could be intelligent but have a disease that makes them pass out randomly for random amounts of time. The story could then have them needing to strategize right before a match but then pass out before it started.

The story would evolve as it goes on, but would start in inkopolis where they all get put into a turf war or something along those lines.

The weaknesses could also be something that affect others or maybe it could just be them selves. It could be mostly whatever, I’ll just accept it if it’s fine.

So, thoughts, questions, comments, concerns? Anyone interested in this?

frankus

Banned (6 points)
Greetings!

It's great to see that the RP Section is getting some use... and we have a lot of people interested but not so much is open as far as opportunities. So, let's push that along, shall we!

Here, people are encouraged to post ideas for Roleplays here. It's not much, but it'll give people something to mull over and think about... who knows, you might just be the muse for some GM waiting to be! If someone has an idea that you like, comment on it, like it! Start some discussion about the "what ifs." If someone is interested in GMing the situation that someone has get in contact with them! Talk about the idea and see if you should get free reign or if you want to collaborate--two GMs can be better than one at times.

These don't have to be complex ideas either; how you post the idea is up to you! Big or small, it doesn't hurt to post it so that others can think about it! Short, long, or in-depth, you can be either or! I'll post my example in the next message. ;)

I'll amalgamate ideas here as time goes on and keep an archive of ideas for others... maybe one day I'll even catalog it! But for now... there's only a little out there, so post ideas away! Get creative! :D

Sample Template: [You're Free to Deviate!]

Summary: [This is where you'd briefly explain your idea; keep at twenty words or less; try to hook people with it]

Description: [Now that you've caught some attention, explain your idea!]

How it Would Be Played: [Get into the nitty gritty! Posting rules, combat rules (if applicable), player interaction... etc.]

Archive of Ideas:
Summary: Squidbeak Splatoon
Description: The Inklings get teleported back in time to the Great Turf war, and now they have to fight in it.
How it Would Be Played: Players are part of a team, and post at their own pace, interacting with other characters to defeat the Octarians. Players can also betray their team and join the Octarians. Each player controls one Octarian and their own Inkling.

Discussed/Posted on Page(s): 1

Pitch: Every kid worth their squid knows about Turf Wars, the popular ink-slinging sport centered in Inkopolis Plaza, but who can remember its gritty history? Take a step back to the days of Turf War's roots, where squads terrorized the streets in grueling battles over tech and territory.
Description: The RP takes place 60-80 years before the time of Splatoon, where Inkopolis is not a hub of sports and glamor but a seedy underbelly overrun by rogue squads. These squads run the streets, claiming districts and using their hold on the businesses around them to power their reign. Skirmishes between rival squads are frequent, with each side battling to paint the streets with their token color and thus display their dominance over the opposing team.
How It Would be Played: Players are part of a newly-formed squad looking to make a name for themselves by battling against the current squads and avoiding the police trying to stop their tyranny. The RP itself is sandbox-ish, with players having to work together frequently but also able to explore and contribute without being completely railroaded to one plot or another. The catalog of weapons and gear available to players, as well as the different locations they can travel to, changes as their squad loses and wins territory.
GMs regulate much of the RP's mechanics, working with players to create opposing squads, refereeing squad skirmishes, and running important NPCs. They'd also moderate player interactions and enforce the RP’s rules, should they need to do so.
Discussed/Posted on Page(s): 1
Camp Triggerfish
Summary:
Ahh yes, Camp Triggerfish. As an adolescent inkling, you're here to enjoy/be forced to spend an entire month at this wilderness summer camp! No longer just a battle field, but a place for nature exploration and campfire songs. Between some friendly cabin-competition, camp counselors spreading their "self-discovery" wisdom, and some.... mysterious rumors, you've got your tentacles full this summer!
Description: Yeah, this is your stereotypical outdoorsy wilderness-camp-by-the-lake setting. In this, Camp trigger fish is both a an overnight camp with cabins and a well maintained campground, as well as a recreational spot for Jellies to watch ink battles and relax. Aaand of couorse, no electrontnics!The main driving forces in this game would be to 1) survive summer mostly sane, 2) Make some friends, possibly with your bunk mates, 3) Compete with the other cabins/teams 4) explore the camp and nature surrounding it, including myths and urban lore, and 5) to learn something about yourself/your character. The whole "you'll learn about yourself from being in the outdoors" is actually pretty true sometimes???? I know, it's weird.
I would describe this RPG as half sandbox, half plot oriented mystery.
How it Would Be Played: As a player, you would first be able to choose your cabin based on your camp counselor. Different camp counselors would give different exploration bonuses, personality and actual game play wise. Counselors would be a vivid bunch of NPC's, and essentially the GM's influence in this game.
Now, camp would work like this: the GMs/counselors would provide prompts for 1) competitions between cabins, 2) guided exploration, and 3) discussion. In between, there would be free time for characters to explore on their own. There would also be a curfew of sorts, but depending on the situation, that can be bent. Here's some more examples of what that would entail.
For competitions, an easy one would be like, Turf wars using the Triggerfish battle field, competing obstacle courses as a cabin, or other camp games. Slight bonuses would be awarded to the winning teams.
Exploration would be like, hiking, going to lakes. In general being introduced to new areas. This would introduce new plot ideas and give characters more options.
Discussions: Counselors would do the whole "gather 'round the campfire" stuff, or just promote character conversation. This is where you get to expand on your characters ideas about being out at camp.
In all of this, your main end goal would to be to leave the camp with the lore and urban legends of Triggerfish figured out, as well as feeling like your character benefited from this experience.
Discussed on Page(s): 1

Something's Ominous in Octo Valley | A Splatoon Survival RPG
Description: Inklings living near the Octo Valley area have suddenly gone missing in a bizarre series of serial kidnappings. In response to these events, the Inkopolis Police has created a specialized task force to investigate Octo Valley and its belowground area - one that you (the player) have just volunteered to be a part of.

Gameplay: The RP runs on a dungeon-crawler-like engine. Players start on the beginning floor of the valley, working together to find kettles that bring them deeper into the valley's caverns. The deeper the go, the more the story progresses - and the harder things get for the task force.

Floors operate under two different phases: an exploration phase and a combat phase. During the exploration phase, players are free to roam around the area in search of clues, hidden areas, and resources. Useful resources that the players find (such as food or tools for the base camp), are held within their respective inventories, and can be used at any time to help the team reach its next destination. In addition, by exploring the area, players can activate random events, which either shower the crew in blessings or throw obstacles in their way, depending on how lucky they are.

Random events can activate combat, which shifts the floor to the combat phase. During combat, players are restricted to their immediate area, and pitted against a specific set of opponents. Opponent difficulty is rated by their level (on a 1 to 50 scale, just like Splatoon). Defeating a set of opponents nets the crew rewards - but if the enemy is too strong, fleeing is an option as well. Either way, both actions trigger the end of the combat phase, and the floor returns to being open and explorable.

Since enemies have levels, it makes sense for the players to have them, as well. During sign-ups, players choose what level from a set range they would like for their character. A higher level improves a character's ability in combat but makes them less likely to find important resources during exploration. Conversely, a lower level decreases a character's combat ability, but increases their chance of finding resources and discovering different areas. Ideally, since resources are necessary to crew survival, and the chances of finding resources diminish the further the team heads into the valley, lower level and higher level characters are equally important, and are necessary to each other's success.

The story itself is shaped by how the player's react to the obstacles they run into, with the design of new floors being based on what the player's discover (and not discover). Though I have an overarching plot in mind, most of the action takes place within smaller substories involving the events player's trigger and the crew's interactions with each other, with story-heavy content becoming more frequent the further the RPG goes.

Discussed/Posted on Page(s): 2

Title: 20 Years After ((I'm gonna think of a better name...))

Summary: What if the Great Zap Fish didn't return? Well that's exactly what happened, so no need to wonder now.
The Octarians attacked with full force, taking over Inkopolis and destroying more than half of Inkling population. Now Inkopolis has a new name.. Octopolis.

Description:
What if the Great Zap Fish didn't return? Well that's exactly what happened, so no need to wonder now.
The Octarians attacked with full force, taking over Inkopolis and destroying more than half of Inkling population. Now Inkopolis has a new name.. Octopolis. Octarians are everywhere, the walls have ears, and the amount of Octolings blasted off to insane numbers. It's been this way for 20 years... The remaining Inklings stay hidden, living off discarded food and living in secret hideouts, sewers and abandoned buildings. Almost every Inkling weapon has been destroyed...
Any Inkling found... Will be publicly splatted.

How it Would Be Played:

Weapons:
Players can either start with weapons or without weapons. If they start without weapons they have to either find one, steal from an Octoling or Steal from another Inkling that has a weapon.
Here's a list of starter weapons available at the beginning of the RP: Splatter Shot Jr./Custom Splatter Shot Jr. , Splat Charger, Inkbrush, Splat Roller and Classic Squiffer. ((List may change, other weapons will be available further into the RP))

If you're found by an Octarian, you will have to end it quickly before it sends a signal to other Octarians, the same goes for Octolings. The citizens of Octopolis don't always walk around, armed. Usually only Octarian Patrols or Police carry around weapons. Elite Octolings will always be armed, so always stay cautious when one is spotted. Octostrikers and Octobombers will rarely be sent out to attack Inklings due to the fact that their attacks damage the environment as well as their enemies.

Stealth: Stealth is a key role to surviving as a Inkling, sewers are great ways to travel around the city un-noticed. But Octarian Patrols may sometimes check the sewers, never let yours guard down. As usual, enemies can't see you when you swim in ink, but seeing puddles of ink will alert them that an Inkling may be in the area, so they'll be extra cautious.

Jailed: If you fail to escape the Octarian Patrol, you'll be taken to a jail cell, 2 Octarians will guard the cell while the others will prepare for the Public Splatting. In this time others may help you escape before the Public Splatting starts. The jail cell requires two keys to open, they are hidden in the building.. Find them all to help your friend escape. If you're not an Inkling, they will either force you to do their dirty work or send you to the Octopolis Lab for testing.

Starting Location: Players can start out in the sewers, escaping from the Octopolis Lab, alleyways or abandoned buildings

Discussed/Posted on Page(s): 2

Octo Lab --- Polished Edition
Summary
Abducted from Inkopolis or Octo Valley, you wake in either a burnished lab or a verdant lab. Shortly afterwards a voice rings out in the labyrinthine corridors. The voice introduces himself as Shen, a mad scientist who selected a small group of people for a experiment, an experiment he doesn't even remember why he created it, but he continues it for his entertainment. You need to escape but also put an end to this mad theater.

Description
Octo Lab is -again- a darker, gritty roleplay. There are multitude of dangers specific to the two labs. Lab Block Crimson-Squid is the burnished, orderly lab controlled by Shen's aptly named Legion-bots, which travel in groups wandering the lab, thankfully they take a while to power up (Won't be active until the first month long cycle ends.) But that isn't a reason to be relaxed just yet, you need to get your bearings and progress forward. Lab Block Emerald-Octo is the verdant, overgrown lab not controlled by a single entity but has tons of environmental hazards that will hamper your progress, there will still be Legion-bots roaming the corridors but they'll be much fewer in number and will travel in Pairs. Same rules from before apply to them.

The first cycle is story oriented, however after the end of the cycle, the two labs release their respective story arcs and gameplay, Crimson-Squid is the more combative of the two, but will still have a story and vice versa. The month cycle is divided into week long cycles to both progress the gameplay and to develop a storyline.
How 2 pleh
The roleplay will begin when the GM gathers a sufficient amount of players for each lab or a single lab if little sign up. Max would be 10 players if it fills up, 4 is the minimum and 8 is both labs active
Classes are tricky, they would have an adjective to describe your character from personality and background info.
Ex: Terence is a Firm Soldier
Roles for the characters are

Read Post for Example

If you can make ideas for better names, please say so.
That brings me to the combat sections and Inventory management
The inventory should be displayed in a little spoiler on the bottom of each post, not to mention the GM (Probably me) will keep a note on what's in everyone's inventories, just to insure no one cheats and pull a dynamo roller out of a golden purse and club their opponent with it. The other part is your active weapon which should be displayed on the top. Here's an example on what a inventory looks like

Read Post for Example

There are 3 tiers of weapons
Heavy weapons are stuff like: Chargers, blasters and rollers
Medium weapons are things like: Shooters, pistols and Ink-blades
Light weapons are stuff and things like: Metal bars, Ink-knives, damaged variants of medium weapons and S.I.Gs (Sub Inkage Gun)
Light weapons take no slots medium take 2 and heavies take 3 however they all take no slots if wielded as their active weapon

Combat, I will probably need to improve on, basically it starts off with 5 actions, 2 of which are specific to class and personality I'll give an example:

Read Post For Example:

The player or players if you're in a group all need to do their turn to end the fight or progress it if the enemy is much more stronger then the player characters.
I'm not sure so the combat section is subject to change. Permadeath is a present threat, but is only an extreme threat if your playing alone or are separated, players in groups can win the fight, thus reviving any fallen players. But if the entire player group loses the fight, by either running, abandoning teammates to their fates or all getting defeated by the enemy. Although it should be a rare case, like extremely rare that an entire team loses. Your done game over man, game over.
The GMs make a thing you respond to once, not twice, nor thrice but once once everyone responds the next part will happen, unless not everyone responds then at the end of the week it'll continue, the player gets a warning to respond, up to 3 then your out with a simple explanation you got splatted by a hydro cannon bam. The GM will try and get your attention with an @ symbol.
So what do you all think?
Can we do one where inklings fight from bicycles and their bicycles have bumpers and can swim in ink? That would be interesting.

frankus

Banned (6 points)
I'm writing an story about cyclists in Splatoon and describing how that would affect turf war and the culture of Inkopolis in general. The cyclists are very innovative and always creating new weapons from whatever they find in the alleys. They do use some of Sheldon's weapons but they come up with their own and also modifications to the bike to move through ink.

Oceloto999

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2656-9841-1692
I made one where basically there is a restaurant where people come to hang out. No character or whatever, and the GM is the restaurant owner, and essentially a glorified moderator. No character sheets either. Just hang out!

Hikarimoon

Pro Squid
Pronouns
She/her/hers
Switch Friend Code
SW-2033-5921-7721
I have an idea: a new single play DLC called glitchet.
Story: Agent 6 (the playable character) wakes up in a completely blacked out version of Splatsville, having no idea of who they were except for a few flashbacks of them building a cube-shaped machine, presumably an Octostomp, and then getting attacked.

Gameplay: you have to assend the train in order to get from test to test and get back to the real world. Each test to get out would get harder and harder the more you advance.
After you finish the finale, you will unlock a mode called, “speedrun” in which you have random limited time tests to complete and after each speedrun, you can get gear awards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom