do you think octolings will be playable in the future

• yes

Votes: 64 86.5%
  • no

Votes: 10 13.5%

• Total voters

Scarlient

Full Squid
I am very sad about how octolings aren't gonna be playable in the update but they may come later but one can only speculate

Mr.HawK

The Artist
they teased octolings. never said anything about them in this update whatsoever but yeah id love to play them in the update if it was possible

mewtheed

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mewtheed
How are they going to make Octolings playable without spoiling the solo campaign for the new players ?

Xadus

Inkling Tactician
NNID
JainaSuila
I am personally kind of apathetic towards playable octolings I would just end up playing as an inkling anyway.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I feel like octolings will come with a holiday update. Halloween, Christmas, or if it exists, an official Octopus/Squid day.
Or, perhaps, Thanksgiving, but only if the turkey that inklings use are octopi or something.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
How are they going to make Octolings playable without spoiling the solo campaign for the new players ?
you do realise that octolings in general are not much of a secret if you watch trailers for the game. besides most new players that play the game would want to look up single player walkthroughs that just might have tips on octolings and the levels they are on. its no secret

YesI'mTaco34

Inkling Cadet
NNID
YesImTaco
I feel like octolings will come with a holiday update. Halloween, Christmas, or if it exists, an official Octopus/Squid day.
Or, perhaps, Thanksgiving, but only if the turkey that inklings use are octopi or something.
Having it on Thanksgiving would be a good history lesson.

...as long as they don't follow up the aftermath...

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
If it makes you feel better,
NWPlayer leaked an octoshot replica that you get after lvl 20 that's basically a reskinned tentatek splattershot

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
If it makes you feel better,
NWPlayer leaked an octoshot replica that you get after lvl 20 that's basically a reskinned tentatek splattershot
I KNEW IT! Called that happening at some point.

Make playable Octoling only available after beating Octo Valley?
Though yeah, it seems like playable Octoling is going to be a thing in the future (though how far in the future is a good question).

mewtheed

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mewtheed
Make playable Octoling only available after beating Octo Valley?
Though yeah, it seems like playable Octoling is going to be a thing in the future (though how far in the future is a good question).
What about the other players ? wouldn't it be weird for them to see Octolings playing with squids when they're supposed to be bad guys?

Edit : I just thought about it, maybe people who plays with Octolings will only be able to play only with people who finished the campaign, or maybe they will be teamed with other Octoling players. But wouldn't that divide the player-base even ?

Also how will they wear hats with their overgrown tentacles? will their be male ones too?

I'm not against it BTW, I'm just trying to find solutions to potential problems. ^^

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
What about the other players ? wouldn't it be weird for them to see Octolings playing with squids when they're supposed to be bad guys?
I mean, just having them in multiplayer isn't exactly spoiling anything, since they are just a normal Octoling in the multiplayer. Most people would probably think, oh, that is some kind of unlockable, how do I unlock it?

mewtheed

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mewtheed
I mean, just having them in multiplayer isn't exactly spoiling anything, since they are just a normal Octoling in the multiplayer. Most people would probably think, oh, that is some kind of unlockable, how do I unlock it?
well, It might still spoil their existence. It's just that I think it would be weird to see Octarians and Inklings together considering they are war enemies. Kinda goes against the established lore I think...

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys

Edit : I just thought about it, maybe people who plays with Octolings will only be able to play only with people who finished the campaign, or maybe they will be teamed with other Octoling players. But wouldn't that divide the player-base even ?

Also how will they wear hats with their overgrown tentacles? will their be male ones too?

I'm not against it BTW, I'm just trying to find solutions to potential problems. ^^
True, that would be a small bit odd, but I don't see it as a major problem. The only-playable-with-other-Octolings thing on the other hand, yeah that would be a base-dividing problem.
The hats, on the other hand, could be a problem, but I'm sure it's manageable.
As for male Octolings,
one of the Sunken Scrolls shows a male Octoling, I think DJ Octavio as an Octoling to be specific, so they definitely could exist. But if they don't exist,
Nintendo can just make a male Octoling model; I'm sure it's doable if they plan on adding playable Octolings to add another gender.

Of course, it's entirely possible to just have a single-player side-campaign starring an Octoling; they wouldn't need to wear hats, or be implemented in multiplayer (with whatever problems that may cause), and there wouldn't need to be male Octolings (though it would be nice to see one in gameplay), you could just have challenging levels played through with an Octoling.

I'd rather have Octolings in multiplayer, but that's a decent workaround as well.

Also, yeah, this is true too. Or at least, that's what I'd think if I saw it online.

EDIT:
well, It might still spoil their existence. It's just that I think it would be weird to see Octarians and Inklings together considering they are war enemies. Kinda goes against the established lore I think...
Ah, it looked like they either made peace or at least have slightly more amicable relations in the credits after beating Octo Valley. Either way, it's not like Octolings are deeply hidden in Octo Valley, I think they show up in level 7 or 8, and have a level dedicated to them in every world after that (and show up a few times in other levels).

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
you do realise that octolings in general are not much of a secret if you watch trailers for the game. besides most new players that play the game would want to look up single player walkthroughs that just might have tips on octolings and the levels they are on. its no secret
^This

Seriously, people. Why do you make it so needlessly difficult?

Smash Bros Brawl also didn't implement a needlessly complex system for online, disallowing matches with characters you haven't unlocked yet.
Online you could battle with any character, regardless whether or not you unlocked it.
And I saw nobody complaining about that.

So why would that be a problem with Splatoon, with playable Octolings?
I am sure pretty much everyone associated with Splatoon, knows about the Octolings already.
And for the few who don't, it might be a pleasant surprise, garnering interest.

So seriously, if they are supposed to be playable at some point, just make em playable. Period

Scarlient

Full Squid

in the credits they show that the inklings friended the octolings

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom