• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Sad about no octolings

do you think octolings will be playable in the future

• yes

Votes: 64 86.5%
  • no

Votes: 10 13.5%

• Total voters

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I didn't expect it to happen, there's no wa they'd put them in before announcing them. They're too big to the community.

YesI'mTaco34

Inkling Cadet
NNID
YesImTaco
Honestly, guys. I think you have your head a little too high in the clouds.
A whole new Story Mode isn't very realistic. If at all.

Online is the main selling point of this game, while storymode only served more as a tutorial to get you ready for online.
And they are doing everything now, to expand online.
I can't imagine them working on an expansion for story mode, while they flood us with all those online updates.

I can only see Dialogue changes, if you enter Octo Valley as Octoling, if you are even able to as Octoling.
Everything else is just dreaming at this point.
Realistically i have to agree with this.

The only way i see there being more Single player continent is thought paid DLC.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Again, what is the problem?

You really can't speak of variety with just two characters.
A third character would up it a little. not cause it to go down.

The variety comes from the gear they wear, not from their gender or race.

I mean with the same argument, you could ban Luigi from Mario games, since he could overshadow Mario.
(Which he does by now)

I can only give the advice: "Stop overthinking every little thing."
Pick what you like and have fun. Period.
There is nothing else to it.
Mario is still more popular of the duo. People who are familiar with Mario might prefer Luigi (as do I,) but Mario is much more globally recognized.
The whole overthinking every little thing does seem odd because that is what the developers do- that's why they didn't give the inklings more hairstyles because they want their designs to be cemented down a bit more before making drastic changes. They have the Nintendo character design philosophies, so I can understand them being... well Nintendo.

I agree that there will still be Inklings playing and I agree this shouldn't be worrysome because it just makes the octolings more popular alongside the inklings. I would say that octolings being added would actually give more variety in the avatars because you can run into people with the same gear and gender as you but the eye color may be different, etc.

I wonder if they will have them be selectable in the gender/eye color select screen or what.

Long story short- Octolings are a good thing and even though I probably stick with my inkling, it is nice that you can easily change gender and eye color/etc. anytime when you want to.

Auregash

Inkling
NNID
mgeritz89
Before Nintento include the Octolings, they should make the Inklings more costumizeable. There could be added other Faces / Eyes an Hairstyles.
This would be very impressive, because not every Inkling look the same.

Than they could include the Octolings too

What do you all think about this?

TheElite711

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Elite
If they do end up playable, I do worry that everyone will just use Octolings and the Inklings will be forgotten.
Inklings forgotten? I don't really see that being a thing. Inklings have been ingrained too deep into people's interests and Miiverse posts to be forgotten ;D.

Overall I'd love to see Octolings as a playable character, variety is the key to the spice of life I say.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Before Nintento include the Octolings, they should make the Inklings more costumizeable. There could be added other Faces / Eyes an Hairstyles.
This would be very impressive, because not every Inkling look the same.

Than they could include the Octolings too

What do you all think about this?
Maybe in the sequel given how the developers feel about it.

YesI'mTaco34

Inkling Cadet
NNID
YesImTaco
just thought something, if Octoling are playable wouldn't they have to make another kraken model for Octoling?

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Realistically i have to agree with this.

The only way i see there being more Single play continent is thought paid DLC.
Yeah, I wouldn't expect entire continents to get in without having to pay for it.:p

But to be serious, I can see the logic here. That might end up being a paid extra thing. Probably not that high a price, but still. It's not a weapon or a stage or gear, so they could do that. And honestly, I'd be okay with that.
And I'd probably buy it, if that happened.

just thought something, if Octoling are playable wouldn't they have to make another kraken model for Octoling?
Yeah, maybe. Wonder what that'll look like?

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
Yeah, I wouldn't expect entire continents to get in without having to pay for it.:p

But to be serious, I can see the logic here. That might end up being a paid extra thing. Probably not that high a price, but still. It's not a weapon or a stage or gear, so they could do that. And honestly, I'd be okay with that.
And I'd probably buy it, if that happened.

Yeah, maybe. Wonder what that'll look like?
Im guessing mostly the same. Maybe more rounded and less tentacles?

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
I thought of something.

The best way to handle Octoling in Single Player is, Make Octoling an unlockable, through beating Story Mode
Once you did, you could go with the story
"Octorians made peace with Inklings, but a few remained loyal to Lord Octavio and continue to threaten the Inklings. So Octolings rise up to stop them."

In any case, Octoling in Story Mode as it is now, would work well.
There is no entirely new Story necessary.

And though I admit it would be nice, I don't think it is realistic.

Shig

Inkster Jr.
NNID
OkidoShigeru
I still think Octolings won't be playable, but rather will be added in as bot characters in offline multiplayer, or used in some kind of co-op invasion game mode.

The main reason I don't think they will be playable is because as has already been shown, their hair tentacles clip through almost every headwear option available, but without them they would be far less distinguishable from inklings, so there wouldn't be a point. Also there are no male Octolings yet.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
Im not sure about that. None of their animations or models would really need to be altered for that to work. If their A.I. worked differently maybe as that seems to be where they most struggle right now and would be more beneficial to a mode where they are supposed to emulate enemy players

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I thought of something.

The best way to handle Octoling in Single Player is, Make Octoling an unlockable, through beating Story Mode
Once you did, you could go with the story
"Octorians made peace with Inklings, but a few remained loyal to Lord Octavio and continue to threaten the Inklings. So Octolings rise up to stop them."

In any case, Octoling in Story Mode as it is now, would work well.
There is no entirely new Story necessary.

And though I admit it would be nice, I don't think it is realistic.
Yeah, I could agree with this. But an unlockable implies that something would change gameplay-wise when you choose to play as the Octoling (at least, it implies that to me). It doesn't have to be a huge difference, like going from playing Ryu in Street Fighter to playing Zangief in Street Fighter (for those who haven't played Street Fighter, it's a huge difference), just some small stuff getting changed, like going from playing Mario in a platformer to playing Luigi (for those who haven't played a Mario platformer as Luigi, it's certainly different, but more subtly, since it's just small differences usually). So what do you think these changes would be? Do you think it would happen? How would you do it?

I still think Octolings won't be playable, but rather will be added in as bot characters in offline multiplayer, or used in some kind of co-op invasion game mode.

The main reason I don't think they will be playable is because as has already been shown, their hair tentacles clip through almost every headwear option available, but without them they would be far less distinguishable from inklings, so there wouldn't be a point. Also there are no male Octolings yet.
Well, I'd like a co-op invasion mode of some kind, and online bots would be nice (better than disconnects just turning into a puff of smoke and leaving you outnumbered), but I think they'll be playable. Though it'd be nice if all of these things happened at some point.
Also, they could just come up with an alternate clothing type exclusive to Octolings. As I think I said earlier in this thread (I think it was this thread), a pants shop could work as a headgear alternative (maybe put it in that closed area next to the arcade machine, or the coffee shop (I know that makes no sense, but why not?)). Would certainly make the Octolings more distinguishable from Inklings.

Im guessing mostly the same. Maybe more rounded and less tentacles?
Yeah, that makes sense. I was trying to rack my brain to come up with mythological creatures the Octoling could turn into for a Kraken replacement, but I didn't get anywhere (all I could come up with was Octodad, which I just can't picture happening).

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
There shouldn't be any changes at all.
It's just asthetics really.

I mean Octolings already have a functioning moveset, mirroring that of the Inklings.
Why changing that?

I also fear that this might cause some imbalances online, if they had their own moveset-twists.

I mean, it also should be fine if they are playable from the beginning.
I just came up with this idea, to make them perfectly playable on both Multiplayer and SIngle Player, without being wierd in SIngle Player, if you havent completed it yet.
Personally, I would be fine with this.
But I can see why people feel wierd about an Octoling fighting her own people, if Story mode hasnt been completed yet.

Strider_Bond00J

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Strider_James00B
I think the Octolings becoming playable is something I foresee happening very soon (Potentially explored in the next Direct), and I'm pleased that they might get promoted to playable status. Looking forward to seeing the world through their eyes if they decide to make something like a new Story Mode.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
It'd just be a slightly altered and enlarged version of their ink swimming form. The kraken is very similar to the squid.

Well the tentacle thing is an easy fix- the male inklings already alter the hairstyle to make hats work better. If they really want them playable then that wouldn't stop them.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
It'd just be a slightly altered and enlarged version of their ink swimming form. The kraken is very similar to the squid.

Well the tentacle thing is an easy fix- the male inklings already alter the hairstyle to make hats work better. If they really want them playable then that wouldn't stop them.
It would take some doing but I would enjoy if the headwear that isnt just like glasses or something similar would be made into accessories like the seaweed some have on their heads in the story. Like maybe instead of headphones have those old rabbit ear antennas TVs and radios used to use on their head. Same stats and brands but different items visually

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
It would take some doing but I would enjoy if the headwear that isnt just like glasses or something similar would be made into accessories like the seaweed some have on their heads in the story. Like maybe instead of headphones have those old rabbit ear antennas TVs and radios used to use on their head. Same stats and brands but different items visually
I think for sake of balance the gear pool will have to be the same- Although I just realized the only octoling male we ever see is wearing a hat, so its possible for both?
Although in Japan the Octoling's name is more feminine I guess.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
I think for sake of balance the gear pool will have to be the same- Although I just realized the only octoling male we ever see is wearing a hat, so its possible for both?
Although in Japan the Octoling's name is more feminine I guess.
Apparently from what I heard the japanese name for them contains the word for amazon or warrior woman. Which is weird as you said there is at least one known male among the group.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Apparently from what I heard the japanese name for them contains the word for amazon or warrior woman. Which is weird as you said there is at least one known male among the group.
Well i'ss DJ Octavio in one of the Sunken Scrolls. Both he and Captain Cuttlefish might be unique though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom