• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Save Scumming in the competitive environment

Anatole

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Anatole-Ostara
Save scum for equipments doesn`t botter me, but to get higher Ranks it does. First because it`s unfair with the ones who go by merit, second because it actually can be a problem for those same people. One who cheat to get higher rank will likely not be deserving that rank and be way worse at playing than one who got there for real, so it`s unbalancing the ranks and putting people who are not that good in higher rank battles.

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
Good people will play the game smart people will win it. Whether they do it for re-rolls or rank its not gonna bother me cause i can do it too.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I see people with perfect rerolls all the time, but they are still able to get out played. Plus anyone can savescum. I never saw a problem with it when i first heard about it about and was confused as to why people added the "scum" part, however i didn't realize you could use it to help your rank as well (so yah you can add "scum" to the name for THAT situation).
I've spent so many millions and ive never gotten a perfect 3. I have no idea how people get lucky enough to get it in a few rerolls -.-
So basically i view it as giving everyone the opportunity to get the gear they want. Like I said just because someone has a perfect reroll of everything, doesn't mean they aren't able to get out-played.

*random* Have you seen an Nozzlenose on catwalks with all perfect walkspeed tho? Holy crap they move as fast as a regular shooter game. (saw this multiple times on kelp dome catwalks). edit: I'll admit that they definitely had the advantage cuz of the gear, but that was because I wasn't used to something moving on catwalks so fast

Samura1man

Inkling
NNID
samura1man
I heard about save scumming while I was going for S+99, I didn't knew it existed, someone in my stream chat suggested to do it, but I refused because it's really pathetic, I call save scumming cheating myself, even for rerolls. I burned millions to Spyke and didn't get good rolls, what then? I keep playing and not think about save scumming.

Honestly, I cannot respect someone who save scum theirs gears, let me explain why, think about lottery machine and Spyke rerolls, they are kinda same right? You use money and hope you win something, right? With bad luck you won't get anything or something you want, then you save scum your file back and you're back in the beginning, can you do that in real life with lottery? No, you probably can, but if you can, then that's cheating.

That's what I think of save scumming, it's not ok, earn your rerolls, like you earned your money from playing.

For some people it's fine to save scum your gears, but save scumming rank is extremely pathetic, don't play the game if you save scum your rank.

Just to note: I got accused from save scumming by another streamer, funny part is that he save scummed his S+99 on stream. You can accuse anyone who has S+99 from save scumming. If save scumming wouldn't exists, then we would know for sure who has legitimately got S+99, but unfortunately it's impossible to find out without proofs. I streamed all of my matches when I went for S+99 and those videos are still available.

Save scumming is bad guys and girls.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I heard about save scumming while I was going for S+99, I didn't knew it existed, someone in my stream chat suggested to do it, but I refused because it's really pathetic, I call save scumming cheating myself, even for rerolls. I burned millions to Spyke and didn't get good rolls, what then? I keep playing and not think about save scumming.

Honestly, I cannot respect someone who save scum theirs gears, let me explain why, think about lottery machine and Spyke rerolls, they are kinda same right? You use money and hope you win something, right? With bad luck you won't get anything or something you want, then you save scum your file back and you're back in the beginning, can you do that in real life with lottery? No, you probably can, but if you can, then that's cheating.

That's what I think of save scumming, it's not ok, earn your rerolls, like you earned your money from playing.

For some people it's fine to save scum your gears, but save scumming rank is extremely pathetic, don't play the game if you save scum your rank.

Just to note: I got accused from save scumming by another streamer, funny part is that he save scummed his S+99 on stream. You can accuse anyone who has S+99 from save scumming. If save scumming wouldn't exists, then we would know for sure who has legitimately got S+99, but unfortunately it's impossible to find out without proofs. I streamed all of my matches when I went for S+99 and those videos are still available.

Save scumming is bad guys and girls.
meh i personally don't see it as a bad thing. I don't do it cuz im lazy lol, seems like too much effort.
Just found out the higher your level the higher the chance of getting the gear's abilities you wanted from someone else's setup once you order it from Spyke again. Im gonna do that cuz its easier. But with that said, what if the guy i order from used savescum to get his gear? I didn't do it but b/c of better chances from my lvl im able to get the same abilities as that guy. The point? eventually people will get the perfect 3 anyways. Don't see why it should be frowned upon, but that's just my opinion

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta

You can soft reset in many games if RNG doesn't go your way. Splatoon devs made it auto save whenever you reroll or add slots to force players to keep playing online if it fails. They do this to create a sense of higher replayability, when all they're doing is forcing you to grind against RNG. They do this kind of thing in f2p games to either 1) make you pay real-life money to speed up the process 2) keep people playing. You're creating a false equivalency by comparing this to winning the lottery. On top of that the console allows you to create backup save data, so there's nothing cheating about it.

I'm guessing you don't play RPGs either. There are games with boss fights where you have a low chance or getting a unique drop and can only fight them once during the game. If people reset in order to get that drop does that make them cheaters?

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
You can soft reset in many games if RNG doesn't go your way. Splatoon devs made it auto save whenever you reroll or add slots to force players to keep playing online if it fails. They do this to create a sense of higher replayability, when all they're doing is forcing you to grind against RNG. They do this kind of thing in f2p games to either 1) make you pay real-life money to speed up the process 2) keep people playing. You're creating a false equivalency by comparing this to winning the lottery. On top of that the console allows you to create backup save data, so there's nothing cheating about it.

I'm guessing you don't play RPGs either. There are games with boss fights where you have a low chance or getting a unique drop and can only fight them once during the game. If people reset in order to get that drop does that make them cheaters?
Not to mention the people who run the lottery are CROOKS and if I did know a way to steal from them i'd do it in a blink of an eye. Nintendo is the crook to competitive splatoon, forcing us to grind rng to get USEABLE gear. Next splatfest I win I'm gonna save scum some perfect gear. Any guides on how to do it? I can't figure it out...

Sharpzz

Full Squid

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
Doing it for gear is fine. I would even be okay with full out hacking the game to get the perfect gear, since all it does is save you time, as RNG takes no skill. Doing it for rank is stupid though, and makes you intrude on others who are actually in the correct rank. I don't think save scumming should be disallowed, but I think it's a pretty worthless thing to do if you use it for raising your rank.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
My two cents: From the perspective of someone who has made use of the data exploit to optimise gear, I really don't think it's something that competitive players should be worried about. If you compare the numbers for gear with 2x vs 3x a specific sub, the difference for the most part is so negligible as to be irrelevant. Things are little different if you multiply this by three, and so compare builds with 9x vs 6x of a specific sub, since then the difference is equivalent to one main, but I take it that such dedicated builds are rare and not obviously very useful. Moreover, it's not at all obvious that it's more advantageous to have gear with 3x subs, rather distributing the slots over a wider range of abilities and having 2x + 1x (especially since in many cases it's the first sub which makes the greatest contribution). Of course, having 3x subs certainly looks pretty, and it's good for the more OCD-oriented player, but these things count for nothing in a serious competitive environment.

Njok

Bouncer
As for gear, i actually think it's worse when people have an advantage in comp. play because of rng, like Kat also mentioned. As long as Nintendo doesn't give us the option to get good gear easier then i don't really see the problem with using the data exploit.

Save scumming rank is obviously pathetic, but that's about it. It shouldn't effect comp. play in any way. Sadly, it doesn't even effect solo ranked rooms because that's already a mess thanks to people getting carried in squad battles and about 90% of players just quitting solo ranked all together after reaching S+ (as did i, because what's the point?)

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
When doing it for high ranking, seems pretty pointless to me, unless you're a flaunting e-peener. Being in B- purgatory just means I'm too ungood. I rather fight for the rank. Save scumming will make the game boring very quick.

The Claw

Inkster Jr.
NNID
mariomario494949
I don't mind people save scumming for rerolls. Once they get the perfect roll then they used up their snails in the end anyway, so it's not like they have an infinite amount.

FlyingInk

Inkster Jr.
NNID
MyTurbo6
I believe that people that do this will eventually get bored move on. It’s kind of a short attention span issue where they can’t stand to play the game like it was meant to be played. So they create shortcuts to reach their goals and then when they do reach their goals they move on to some other game because in their minds they’ve “Mastered” Splatoon.

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
What other people do to their save file is none of my concern as long as they aren't using equipment I can't use or using actual cheat codes. Things like rank and rerolls don't matter.
The odds of getting gear with 4 of the same (neutral - 6%) ability are 0.0216%. That would take an average of 4,630 snails, or 138,888,889 G. I'd say that's equipment you can't use but save scummers can. I've seen plenty of these equips in-game.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
It's certainly true that the odds of getting natural pure/shiny pieces are very low. Still, the relevance of this will depend on how such pieces are being combined with other pieces - it needn't be that a player using a pure/shiny piece of gear is using a combination of abilities that it would not also be possible to have simply by combining different pieces of gear with 3x of their favoured abilities. Indeed, I suspect many people are attracted to such pieces because they allow them to have certain combinations of abilities on gear which, to them, looks nicer than the more obvious alternative. The other reason to go for such pieces is if you're interested in stacking certain things beyond the equivalent of 3x main, but again I think competitive utility in this pretty questionable - the difference between 3x main and 4x main is very small for various abilities, and you effectively deny yourself a slot which could probably be put to better use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom