• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Seabagging general

AriasFantasy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ariasfantasy
Sometimes I'll squidbag my friends id we're playing privates together, but I've never actually done it in random lobbies. It doesn't really make me upset or anything when I get taunted, though. If anything, I'm glad. It means they're spending less time focusing on the objective so we can make a comeback!

Kayura05

Inkster Jr.
@Kayura05
You keep telling us to give "squidbaggers" the "benefit of the doubt", as if that would somehow remedy the trauma of its sister act. Yes, context is a very important factor, but so are relations. If your friend flipped you the bird you would probably either chuckle, shrug it off or return the favour. If a stranger flips you the bird, would you react the same way? The act is historically vulgar and the way we perceive it depends on who's doing it. To those who are bothered by teabagging, "squidbagging" is like the equivalent of having a stranger flip them the bird, which is the point I'm trying to get across. I am not looking to cease the act because 1) I know it's not going to happen, and 2) other people clearly have a new and different perception of the act.

See, what irks me is how people seem to dismiss those bothered by it as either stuck up, overly sensitive, or as you were implying, presumptious. That's not the point. The point is that it is a matter of perception, and we have a very bad history associated with ours. I'm not here to cause a revolt, only to make it clear where we are coming from. It would be nice if we weren't simply dismissed for having a negative viewpoint. As I said earlier, if you aren't bothered by it, then good for you. I'm not trying to change that. Only to make you aware of why some are.
That is a false equivalent actually, Squidbagging can and does have multiple meanings and uses while teabagging only has one. Typically in those games voice chat and taunts are also a thing so the need to convert a action in a game to catch all is not necessary. This is the same with flipping the bird, there is only one meaning for it (depending on your culture) and its hard to actually take it another way. Using a situation with friends is more of a 'context matters' argument and not a 'its always bad' one. I'm sure you're familiar with the thumbs up action, in the west it is a innocent and positive thing but in certain countries a thumbs up gesture is the same as a extremely rude one. If I came across someone who identified the thumbs up as negative and rude and didn't like it should I be required to stop using the action? I could to be nice to them and comply but they could also return the favor and realize that I am not using it in that way and leave me be.

I realize people can be upset but that is about it, what action do you feel needs to be taken? I dismiss the attitude because it amounts to playful teasing or initiating a challenge to me and it's hard for me to see it as anything but that. I had a bunch of matches today where people did that seemingly out of no where with no provocation, was it annoying or distracting? Yes but after a few matches with the same people I realized they were just playing around. Had I devoted any time to being angry it would have been a waste of time. And it gets right down to it, they are just silly actions in a game and ultimately aren't meant to harm anyone. You can't control how people act the best you can do is reexamine why you react that way to it.

Inky Corruption

Full Squid
NNID
ShaneTC
@Kayura05
First of all, the presence or absence of voice chat here is irrelevant, regardless of its influence on the act of teabagging in its inception, or squidbagging as of now. You may also say that in-game actions aren't meant to harm anyone, but humans have their own brilliant ways of attaching hidden messages to subtle things. This is beyond the control of you and I as individuals, but groups have already established these things for us whether we agree with it or not.
And second, actually, no. It is rather fitting. Let's take a step back here.

Prior to Splatoon, teabagging had and still has one negative message attached to it. Transitioning into Splatoon, given entering squid form is the closest thing we have to a crouch in the game it is no wonder how some would immediately associate repeated "crouches" as teabagging. If I may speak from personal experience, this is precisely how I saw squidbagging being used at the start and, albeit to a lesser extent, still do.

However, as I said in my previous post, I acknowledge the fact that people have found a
new and different perception of the act.
Splatoon is, as I'm sure you're aware, a new game, where the "crouch" is entirelly different in both function and animation to any other shooter, but the new "meaning" of squidbagging came to be after its inception. To many newcomers and veterans alike, we recognise the act as teabagging from other games of its genre. Why? Because 1) entering squid-form is basically crouching - your hitbox lowers - with a few mechanical differences, and 2) this is a shooter, just like the other games where the act has been recorded.

To use your comparison of ethnicity, Splatoon is the country where the "thumbs up" is regarded as a positive, but everyone who migrated from different shooters - or countries - know the "thumbs up" as a rude gesture.

I will concede that in the above example it is difficult to ascertain which interpretation was conceived first, but that is irrelevant. Now, back to my comparison in my previous post, squidbagging is just that. It is a historically rude gesture with one meaning. However, Splatoon has invented a different "meaning" for the act, either due to sheer comical value or that players simply couldn't recognise it as teabagging from its animation, but after examination the similarities are undeniably clear.

And for the last time, I am not seeking a change. All I seek is understanding. If your recognise that, then I would like to put this case to rest before I turn into a broken record. This thread is for discussing and sharing viewpoints as I understand it, not advocating for or against the abolishment of squidbagging.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
i have rules for my squidbagging only if i kill 3 at once with either inkstrike or landmine and it don't happen often so i guess u can say i don't barely squidbag but in my mind its like getting a touchdown in football with the celebration afterwards

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
Tonight I was playing turf wars in a random lobby, and early into the match got squidbagged by a random japanese player. Not gonna lie I was pretty salty.

(As I have said before, I only ever do it to someone who has already done it to me.)

So anyway, throughout the remainder of the match I proceeded to splat the same player four times, making sure to give them a thorough dose of their own medicine.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

kobomb

Inkster Jr.
NNID
lolicomplex
i personally thinks its pretty hilarious, on either end. The satisfaction from splatting a squidbagger right after they do it is great as well. But also spreading the salt throughout the entire enemy team is good too, what good is being mad at the game when i cant share it with everyone?

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I had caught someone who was (surprise surprise) seabagging one of my teammates upon splatting them.

I was in the area, just about to revert from going Kraken, and the guy was right there. So I splatted him, and, having turned back into a squiddo right afterwards, I did it back to them.

There's something karmic about the whole thing. It felt... right. And proper.

Kayura05

Inkster Jr.
@Kayura05
First of all, the presence or absence of voice chat here is irrelevant, regardless of its influence on the act of teabagging in its inception, or squidbagging as of now. You may also say that in-game actions aren't meant to harm anyone, but humans have their own brilliant ways of attaching hidden messages to subtle things. This is beyond the control of you and I as individuals, but groups have already established these things for us whether we agree with it or not.
And second, actually, no. It is rather fitting. Let's take a step back here.
Lack of voice chat is very relevant, it means we don't have a traditional means of communication and have to get creative. Squidbagging is one of those ways. There is no one way to interpret it, so limiting it to being only negative is a flawed way of thinking. This isn't a conversation with a real person where subtly can play any sort of role. I agree to take a step back though.

Prior to Splatoon, teabagging had and still has one negative message attached to it. Transitioning into Splatoon, given entering squid form is the closest thing we have to a crouch in the game it is no wonder how some would immediately associate repeated "crouches" as teabagging. If I may speak from personal experience, this is precisely how I saw squidbagging being used at the start and, albeit to a lesser extent, still do.
I understand that but again the association is on your part, and to a degree I see it as that at times too. Well inasmuch as I see it as a taunt or tease. Although knowing not everyone else sees it as that serious I have more than a little leeway in when and where I use it.

Splatoon is, as I'm sure you're aware, a new game, where the "crouch" is entirelly different in both function and animation to any other shooter, but the new "meaning" of squidbagging came to be after its inception. To many newcomers and veterans alike, we recognise the act as teabagging from other games of its genre. Why? Because 1) entering squid-form is basically crouching - your hitbox lowers - with a few mechanical differences, and 2) this is a shooter, just like the other games where the act has been recorded.
I don't think I would take it that far, when I first saw someone mention it I didn't give it much thought as its not really a 1:1 comparison really.

To use your comparison of ethnicity, Splatoon is the country where the "thumbs up" is regarded as a positive, but everyone who migrated from different shooters - or countries - know the "thumbs up" as a rude gesture.
The solution there would be to realize not everyone sees it the same way and judge situations based on context. Imagine if a American, European, and Japanese player were to squidbag you. Do you think the act would mean the same thing from each player? I mean it could but ya know what I mean. :) Good example about player migration that does make sense.

I will concede that in the above example it is difficult to ascertain which interpretation was conceived first, but that is irrelevant. Now, back to my comparison in my previous post, squidbagging is just that. It is a historically rude gesture with one meaning. However, Splatoon has invented a different "meaning" for the act, either due to sheer comical value or that players simply couldn't recognise it as teabagging from its animation, but after examination the similarities are undeniably clear.
I basically agree except that I find the interpretation VERY deniable, but hey that's opinions for you.

And for the last time, I am not seeking a change. All I seek is understanding. If your recognise that, then I would like to put this case to rest before I turn into a broken record. This thread is for discussing and sharing viewpoints as I understand it, not advocating for or against the abolishment of squidbagging.
Yeah I understand that, which is why I feel that the context argument is the best. So yeah we can lay the issue to rest.

Kuu

Inkling
NNID
meerkuu
People actually take this seriously?

Acting like it's some sort of personal slight against you or as something done just to make you mad is probably your first mistake. It's only offensive to you because you make it that way.

I think it's funny.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
When a player has been going back and forth with a rivalry and they squidbag I think it's more of a rivalry/friendly-taunt of "yay, I got you, good show!"

When a lv50 S rank keeps slaughtering lv23 C+ rank players in TW and squidbags a dozen times after the kill it's more of a "hey, I'm a complete *** and want you to know it!"

Then there's the "I'm trying to start a squidparty because I don't care about my team" squidbag.

Then there's me who sometimes accidentally squidbags after a kill because I'm low on ink but need to keep alert and/or shot cancel with a charger. I feel like posting text on the screen "I'm not squidbagging you, I just forgot what button I was holding and I needed ink badly while in a dangerous area!" :)

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
If I'm being perfectly honest I never noticed it was a thing nor did I equate it to teabagging in other games until I joined this forum and saw that people were catching feelings from it.

just play the game and do u

Ambunny

Inkling
NNID
Ambunnie
I only do it in squid parties or with friends nowadays. I used to do it in the early days when Splatoon first came out, and only if I was in a heated 1v1 with someone and finally got the best of them, in sort of a happy dance "yay I did it" sort of fashion. But after learning some people saw it as rude or comparable to teabagging I stopped. Generally I consider the context of it to be being silly or celebratory, but there are definitely times where the intent feels more rude. If someone splats me and it feels that way, then I just make a mental note of their name and if I end up seeing I splatted them, I give them a little taunt back in the cam. If in twin squad with my partner and someone does it to either of us we both do it back, it generally gets the idea across that they need to focus and they stop. For me at least though, squidbaggers are rare lately.

Most often times I do see them, it's in Ranked where the whole team is squidbagging when the timer is almost up and they're winning, in a congratulatory sort of way to their teammates. I definitely don't mind that, it's not directly in someone's kill cam, and having a good team that jives well together in random matches is great and worth celebrating.

I love the other cute, creative taunts people have done though, gives me a good laugh! One of my favorites has got to be this one- It just looks so silly!
My favorite one to do lately is sit in the chairs as a squid in Piranha Pit after splatting someone with an inkstrike in turf. Had a lot of fun with that one when the map was new and in every rotation. xD

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
I squidbag opponents if i get an incredibly good kill (killing 3 with one inkzooka shot, which I've only done twice) but I don't play this game to piss people off, I know even in Turf war someone may be having a bad day and I won't want to set them off.

(and tbh jumping and spinning + head bobbing are better taunts)

I also like to squid bag with my teammates when we swim to mid if our team comp is funny, like all chargers or all Octoshot xD

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Remember, squids, when there's an eliter on the other team, nothing says "Here I am with a predictable aiming point" like a good old fashioned squidbag ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom