• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Seabagging general

Kayura05

Inkster Jr.
The only reason anyone could have a negative association with squidbagging is due to directly relating it to more vulgar taunts in other shooters. Which has more to do with a person as an individual than the way they should treat others who do this in the game. Especially considering you don't know the reason why someone does it, the reasons ranging from cute and playful to disrespectful.

Automatically assuming maliciousness is a pretty safe way to guarantee you will unnecessarily angry at players for no real reason. If someone flops at you after splatting you, I say the best thing to do is to ignore them. Their actions afterwards would be a better indicator of intent than anything.

Our means of communication in the game are already limited, some players genuinely use it as a way to grab attention. So to me your best bet is to give people the benefit of the doubt and respond with a win. :)

Silentium

Senior Squid
I seldom saw squidbagging obviously being used to taunt someone in a derogatory fashion. Funnily enough, those who did it tended to lose more often.... gee funny how that worked out.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
The only time I've squidbagged was in a game where the entire enemy team and two of my teammates disconnected, the remaining teammate and I inked the map and then squidbagged. I've never done it on a kill, and those couple seconds of distraction would probably get me killed.

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
Automatically assuming maliciousness is a pretty safe way to guarantee you will unnecessarily angry at players for no real reason. If someone flops at you after splatting you, I say the best thing to do is to ignore them. Their actions afterwards would be a better indicator of intent than anything.
I generally ignore such flopping myself, dismissing it as foolishly pointless. The closest thing to me being mad at another player is getting frustrated as a result of the events in a match. I've only been truly mad at another player twice, and neither time had anything to do with squidbagging.

Our means of communication in the game are already limited, some players genuinely use it as a way to grab attention. So to me your best bet is to give people the benefit of the doubt and respond with a win. :)
I strongly agree with you. Just last night (around 8 PM PST, 04:00 UTC), I had a series of turf war matches with a very good Japanese player that kept splatting me. When I finally splatted them, I made a long bowing gesture in recognition of their highly admirable ability. Not that long after, they had splatted me again, and they used the flopping technique in part of a sequence of jumping and flopping three or four times mid jump, pretty clearly as a “Thanks!” gesture.

I seldom saw squidbagging obviously being used to taunt someone in a derogatory fashion. Funnily enough, those who did it tended to lose more often.... gee funny how that worked out.
I've noticed this trend myself. I can't help but take some pleasure in such players getting their just deserts, especially in ranked.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
I usually only squidbag if someone dies to my sprinkler or splash wall, mostly because I think it's a funny way to die and it's a minor way to heckle them for such a silly death.

I noticed that sometime people will squidbag at me if I kill them a lot and they finally get me back. I actually consider it kind of an honor since they are pretty pleased with themselves that they finally got me xD

Twonkerbell

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Twinklebutter58
Whenever someone squidbags me it always throws off my focus and I get irritated, finding myself focusing on killing them rather than the objective. It is disrespectful but what can you do about salt xd

Kayura05

Inkster Jr.
I generally ignore such flopping myself, dismissing it as foolishly pointless. The closest thing to me being mad at another player is getting frustrated as a result of the events in a match. I've only been truly mad at another player twice, and neither time had anything to do with squidbagging.
I can't find a single reason for those who get offended at it though, them finding it silly or distracting sure but actual feelings of anger? C'mon. Like someone mentioned before its like a free "taunt" ability and can guarantee the player you splatted will come calling. My own reaction depends on if I need to try and win or have enough time for such things.

I've noticed this trend myself. I can't help but take some pleasure in such players getting their just deserts, especially in ranked.
Ranked is the only place I find it a no-no, in ranked matches I don't see how you have the time to ignore the match goals. Perhaps I am taking it too seriously but I prefer to not lose my points, thanks. I will leave a room after something like that because I don't want that person on my team.

Whenever someone squidbags me it always throws off my focus and I get irritated, finding myself focusing on killing them rather than the objective. It is disrespectful but what can you do about salt xd
Sometimes I can't help but see it as a legitimate strategy in someways, but mostly I find it funny.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I think it's hard to determine why someone is doing it. I never do it, but I've laughed a few times after a good dogfight when someone did it to me and saw it as an attempt at fun rivalry. Other times like on the other day's splatfest our Team Naughty opponents did it probably because they were Team Naughty, and also because the guy was a jerk. Bagging next to his team made after repeatedly killing one of our weaker members right out of spawn. I happened to be coming by, saw it, and Nzapped the pair of them. We still lost, but they didn't do it again. ;)

Also, lesson for all you squidbaggers: Might want to make sure you actually got the kill before going for the taunt. Triggerfish yesterday I had a splat charger with bombs on our bridge shooting across the the other bridge, being a general thorn in their side. One of them got suction bomb rush charged up and filled my side with bombs. He starts squidbagging like crazy before the bombs even go off. I successfully evaded the rush, came back up and gave him a full charge in return. Then bombrushed and painted his bridge while he was gone. ;)

PolygonGeorge

Inkster Jr.
I really dislike it to be honest with you. Always winds me up and I find it unnecessarily disrespectful. I know it shouldn't do, but it does! I'm glad it hasn't happened during one of my let's play videos, otherwise it wouldn't be good viewing material haha. The only time I do it to someone is in response to theirs.

If you do it to me:
"I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."
:P

Inky Corruption

Full Squid
NNID
ShaneTC
@Kayura05 You literally just stated the reason why people would have negative associations to the act in your previous post. I think it's unfair to dismiss the history behind the act when it was a vulgar act like you've said, and people do in fact respond negatively to things they have a negative association with. This is natural, and for those of us who do I'd appreciate it if you didn't dismiss it entirely because you find it "silly".

U N Nown

Inkster Jr.
The perfect act to taunt & irritate. Case in point, look at all the negative comments engenderedby by the very mention of the subject.

The fact that virtually everyone, no jest, jump from lobby to lobby when failing to win, like rats abandoning a sinking ship, the arguments that it is a disrespectful practice are ridiculously amusing.

When retentives gang up and spawn camp a team, actually a taunt in itself, especially when a match is uneven, i.e., three 50s & a 40 against a group of single digit noobies, and they all hop around like some great accomplishment was just achieved, what better way to irritate them than to bag them as vehemently as possible. Except perhaps grabbing an E Liter and popping them off right and left, just for the fun of antagonizing them, regardless of whether the match is won or lost.

A B. A. B. A. B
E A. E. A. E. A
T G T. G. T. G

Kayura05

Inkster Jr.
@Kayura05 You literally just stated the reason why people would have negative associations to the act in your previous post. I think it's unfair to dismiss the history behind the act when it was a vulgar act like you've said, and people do in fact respond negatively to things they have a negative association with. This is natural, and for those of us who do I'd appreciate it if you didn't dismiss it entirely because you find it "silly".
Well like I mentioned, within the context of the game squidbagging can mean a plethora of things and since it's normally hard to decipher why I find the best approach is to just give the other player the benefit of the doubt. Needlessly assuming that the other player is trying to diss you or act disrespectfully to you will only serve to upset you over what could be nothing. Should players abandon using this 'emote' if you will, because there are players out there who don't like it? They can't control the fact that you may have negative associations with the action and it would be unfair to tell others not to do something that in this case has no obvious vulgar connotations and looks actually very cute and silly.

Granted this is how I see the whole situation and personally can't find a reason to be overtly angry about it. At most it can make slightly aggravated but I resolve that by focusing on match objectives and winning. If that fails, leave the room or block the player if it becomes that great of a issue.

Inky Corruption

Full Squid
NNID
ShaneTC
@Kayura05
You keep telling us to give "squidbaggers" the "benefit of the doubt", as if that would somehow remedy the trauma of its sister act. Yes, context is a very important factor, but so are relations. If your friend flipped you the bird you would probably either chuckle, shrug it off or return the favour. If a stranger flips you the bird, would you react the same way? The act is historically vulgar and the way we perceive it depends on who's doing it. To those who are bothered by teabagging, "squidbagging" is like the equivalent of having a stranger flip them the bird, which is the point I'm trying to get across. I am not looking to cease the act because 1) I know it's not going to happen, and 2) other people clearly have a new and different perception of the act.

See, what irks me is how people seem to dismiss those bothered by it as either stuck up, overly sensitive, or as you were implying, presumptious. That's not the point. The point is that it is a matter of perception, and we have a very bad history associated with ours. I'm not here to cause a revolt, only to make it clear where we are coming from. It would be nice if we weren't simply dismissed for having a negative viewpoint. As I said earlier, if you aren't bothered by it, then good for you. I'm not trying to change that. Only to make you aware of why some are.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
If it bothers you, maybe you should stop being bothered. There really is no other solution. No one can control how you feel except you. If something one person does bothers you, and you stop them from doing it, then what about the next thing? And the next thing? This attitude just leads to increasing pressure to conform to an arbitrary value, and needs to stop.

Others and I can understand that you feel upset. That doesn't mean we will or should change to make you feel better.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Me a few months ago: Squidbagging is rude and ill vengefully kill anyone who does it to me

Me now: *squidbags for no reason*

I hope people know I'm not being mean and am just messing around

DekuKitty

Pro Squid
NNID
SkyeHunter
I have to say it, I'm an ocassional serial squidbagger in turf wars. Arrest me. I know it's kind of a childish thing to do, but I honestly can't help myself sometimes. I don't really do it to be mean, just to mess around with people. Almost like how people used to spam Sonic's taunt in Brawl.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I don't think I'll ever be offended by squidbagging but there are certain times when it downright angers me to see my teammates doing it. When I was playing Splat Zones on Walleye Warehouse, we were dominating the match and weren't letting the other team even get near the zone. Apparently to my lovely teammates, this meant to squidbag the other team.

Needless to say, they were all killed by the other team's roller because they were focusing more on taunting the other team than actually defending the zone. When they died, I unleashed my Seeker Bomb Rush onto the other team and managed to take out 3 of the 4 because they were caught by surprise. I got a booyah from my teammates but that only made me more livid with them and it was one of those moments when I'm glad that Splatoon doesn't have voice chat. If you hadn't been squidbagging in the first place and had been focusing on the game, I wouldn't have had to avenge you in the first place! :confused:

My team was just lucky that I had a Seeker Bomb Rush charged and was hiding from them or we could have easily lost the zone and the game. It's way too easy to lose the zone in Walleye and be pushed back into your base. *sigh* If you're going to insist on taunting other players, could you keep it to Turf War where it doesn't matter if you cost us the game?

Most of the time though, I think I still just view it as a funny action. I've been using the Hydra more often and I've noticed a fairly sharp increase in people squidbagging me when they finally manage to kill me. Apparently the Hydra is a fairly rage inducing weapon haha. :p

PolygonGeorge

Inkster Jr.
@Inky Corruption
Then what are you aiming to do?
I know not talking to me, but I was perusing the thread.

To:

"I'm not here to cause a revolt, only to make it clear where we are coming from."

Not:

"That doesn't mean we will or should change to make you feel better."

I don't think peeps should really be arguing about this. Surely changing to make someone feel better is a nice thing to do?

Edit: For clarity, not saying you should change, but merely that it is not always a bad thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom