• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

"Shiny" and "Pure" Gear Compendium

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
So I have some queries, what are the odds of:

Black Arrowbands (3 special savers)
Berry Ski Jacket (3 defense up)
Black 8-Bit Fishfry (3 ink saver sub)

I'm assuming these are not that hard to get but I have them.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
So I have some queries, what are the odds of:

Black Arrowbands (3 special savers)
Berry Ski Jacket (3 defense up)
Black 8-Bit Fishfry (3 ink saver sub)

I'm assuming these are not that hard to get but I have them.
2.7% OR 1/37

edit: These are the most common type of rares btw.

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Once the compendium fills up a bit more I plan on separating each gear by category i.e. headgear, clothes, shoes.

I think it'll make it look a bit neater and easier to skim thru for specific stuff.

Njok

Bouncer
Guys...you know that the chance resets every time,right? That means you could have bad luck every single time. It's definitely not guaranteed to get your perfect gear on the 4th try. But yeah...could be random.
Ok let me rephrase: it seems very unlikely that it's a 25% chance. And like Graf said, there is absolutely nothing you can provide to back that claim. Which is not your fault because even if you did get 1 out of 4 it would still not be prove, as you pointed out yourself.

However, while not prove, when you have 2 persons that have been trying for ages and have not had any luck so far, it makes it quite unlikely that those persons have just been getting unlucky all this time. Not impossible, i'll admit that.

But i suggest that we move this discussion to a new thread, since it's not really on topic anymore but it's still an interesting discussion and i'd really like to find the answer to it.

Edit: which i have now done: http://squidboards.com/threads/spykes-nightly-escapades-or-the-ordering-system.3438/

Last edited:

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
I thought maybe I could provide a brief analysis as to how certain weapons will benefit from these gears as I update the compendium, so I'll start with my most recent.

IGN: p0t3nt
NNID: iLLo_osion
Gear: *Shiny*
Black Arrowbands :head_eye004: **
(Main):ability_tenacity:
(Subs):ability_bombrange:
Recommended Weapon: Gold Dynamo Roller

:ability_tenacity: encourages the G.Dynamo user to do what it does best by hanging back and flicking ink with their ridiculous range. In short, avoiding CQC will allow the G.Dynamo to receive the benefits of :ability_tenacity: longer throughout the match. The name of the game is "stay alive"!

:ability_bombrange: can be a pretty smart choice for the G.Dynamo user. Considering its extremely slow flick, it might be a better option to flank an enemy out of hiding with a quick :splatbomb: toss. Coupled with your :ability_bombrange: this means you'll be able to stay at a more desired range and out of harms way while putting pressure in areas previously impossible to reach.

Last edited:

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
Yo @Egregore, this is a brilliant idea, cheers for organising it.

Encountered a player who's NNID is tifa1122, they had the dark urban gilet with 3x damage up, so a shiny version. I've also got a shiny damage up zekko hoodie and pure fake contacts hopefully coming from other users, but I either missed their NNID's or I couldn't add them and don't know where they now are on my friends list. Here's hoping one of the three rares is successful so I can share it with everybody.

Also, I'm a bit confused about whether me giving a NNID out of someone that didn't add me is an okay thing to do or not. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we technically adding strangers in the hopes of farming rare gear here? If I've misunderstood the premise then forgive me, I'm not calling anybody out I'm just confused about how we're supposed to effectively communicate with strangers that have awesome stuff.

EDIT: woo, 100th post! Let's hope that helps my luck!

Last edited:

Njok

Bouncer
You have a point there. It could be quite annoying for someone if a whole bunch of people start adding you. Especially if he or she is not aware of this thread existing.

Perhaps it's an idea to ask the persons permission first via Miiverse or something? It's possible to send PM via that right? (i feel like i should know that :D)

Also, @SquiddiamFancyson stop posting right now or you'll ruin it when you go see Spyke :p

winner133

Full Squid
NNID
winner133
I thought maybe I could provide a brief analysis as to how certain weapons will benefit from these gears as I update the compendium, so I'll start with my most recent.

Recommended Weapon: Dynamo Roller

:ability_tenacity: encourages the Dynamo user to do what it does best by hanging back and flicking ink with their ridiculous range. In short, avoiding CQC will allow the Dynamo to receive the benefits of :ability_tenacity: longer throughout the match. The name of the game is "stay alive"!

:ability_bombrange: is surprisingly a smart choice for the Dynamo user. You can see here that it's possible to throw your :sprinkler:as high as the ceiling in Walleye Warehouse. Coupled with the oppressive force of Dynamo's absurdly long range OHKO flick, the enemy team is subjected to continuous pressure from not only the player, but from above, as well.
[

Bomb range up doesn't affect sprinklers

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
funny story:

I buy every piece of gear that comes into my shops, even if I consider the stats bad, just in case I end up forming a new build later that needs the stats.

So, I found this shirt that I don't have on someone, :clothes_tes001:, which is a 1-star with no added slots and not even a leveled-up first slot. Like I said, I didn't have it, and it'd never showed up in my shops, so I ordered it and forgot about it.

Any time between 1-3 days later, I wake up in the morning and check in with Spyke. He tells me that I'm in luck and he's found exactly what I was looking for.

I audibly gasped, cuz I'd never gotten a match before. You guys know how the rest goes. It was that awful gray tee, with no slots unlocked.

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Yo @Egregore, this is a brilliant idea, cheers for organising it.

Encountered a player who's NNID is tifa1122, they had the dark urban gilet with 3x damage up, so a shiny version. I've also got a shiny damage up zekko hoodie and pure fake contacts hopefully coming from other users, but I either missed their NNID's or I couldn't add them and don't know where they now are on my friends list. Here's hoping one of the three rares is successful so I can share it with everybody.

Also, I'm a bit confused about whether me giving a NNID out of someone that didn't add me is an okay thing to do or not. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we technically adding strangers in the hopes of farming rare gear here? If I've misunderstood the premise then forgive me, I'm not calling anybody out I'm just confused about how we're supposed to effectively communicate with strangers that have awesome stuff.

EDIT: woo, 100th post! Let's hope that helps my luck!
Thanks a lot! I'll do some research and hopefully I'll be able to add those gears to the list. *bro fist*

To address the bolded, that's why this is a community effort. If a lot of players become involved it'll be a lot easier to acquire any which number of gears that are listed since you'd be subtracting the middle man, if you will.

For now, it's up to the player how they'd like to communicate with someone on the list. A simple friend request and a short message usually works!

From there, the more people that are actively part of this project, the easier it'll be for more players to get certain gears.

Hope that helps!
You have a point there. It could be quite annoying for someone if a whole bunch of people start adding you. Especially if he or she is not aware of this thread existing.

Perhaps it's an idea to ask the persons permission first via Miiverse or something? It's possible to send PM via that right? (i feel like i should know that :D)

Also, @SquiddiamFancyson stop posting right now or you'll ruin it when you go see Spyke :p
Agreed! Even informing whom you are contacting about what we are doing will more than likely bring about some understanding.

[

Bomb range up doesn't affect sprinklers
Interesting. Thank you for clarifying! That means it's possible to reach the ceiling without it. 0_o

So, I guess it'd apply more to the Gold variant, then. :cool:

I'll make sure to edit that post accordingly.

Last edited:

Wingman

Inkling
NNID
TheTrueWingman
Any chance there is interest here in potential shiny gear?

I have a Zekko Hoodie that currently has: :ability_ninjasquid::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_unknown: in its ability slots and is just about to fill the third. I was about to try rolling the dice, but I realized that it would be much more beneficial to attempt to distribute it to as many players as possible, maximizing the possibility of at least one shiny being created. With most other possibilities I wouldn't have bothered, but considering this has potential to become a shiny with both a type-unique main slot and complementary subs, I thought it might be worth some effort to create such an item.

I'm currently in the waiting period between accepting a job offer and actually starting employment, so my upcoming schedule is a bit indeterminate. I'll try to coordinate with others if there is any interest, as I would like to see this actually pay off. If I understand the mechanics correctly, anyone who wants the gear could enter a match with me, then we all leave to ensure everyone can order a copy and my original doesn't fill the empty slot.

Njok

Bouncer
Any chance there is interest here in potential shiny gear?

I have a Zekko Hoodie that currently has: :ability_ninjasquid::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_unknown: in its ability slots and is just about to fill the third. I was about to try rolling the dice, but I realized that it would be much more beneficial to attempt to distribute it to as many players as possible, maximizing the possibility of at least one shiny being created. With most other possibilities I wouldn't have bothered, but considering this has potential to become a shiny with both a type-unique main slot and complementary subs, I thought it might be worth some effort to create such an item.

I'm currently in the waiting period between accepting a job offer and actually starting employment, so my upcoming schedule is a bit indeterminate. I'll try to coordinate with others if there is any interest, as I would like to see this actually pay off. If I understand the mechanics correctly, anyone who wants the gear could enter a match with me, then we all leave to ensure everyone can order a copy and my original doesn't fill the empty slot.
I'd try that, but how many points are needed to fill the third slot? Because it's going to take at least 1 match for anyone to join you.

It would be an amazing shirt though if that 3rd swim speed comes!

Wingman

Inkling
NNID
TheTrueWingman
I'd try that, but how many points are needed to fill the third slot? Because it's going to take at least 1 match for anyone to join you.

It would be an amazing shirt though if that 3rd swim speed comes!
It only has 740p left until it gets the third slot, so not much more, wish I would have thought of this MUCH earlier. I forgot that I'd probably have to completely finish a match to have someone join me, but could it work if I were to join anyone who wants the gear? I''ve only been playing since last Friday, so I haven't even used the join function yet, so I'm not familiar with how the process works.

I'll stop wearing the shirt for the time being, until I can figure out if this will actually work.

Njok

Bouncer
It only has 740p left until it gets the third slot, so not much more, wish I would have thought of this MUCH earlier. I forgot that I'd probably have to completely finish a match to have someone join me, but could it work if I were to join anyone who wants the gear? I''ve only been playing since last Friday, so I haven't even used the join function yet, so I'm not familiar with how the process works.

I'll stop wearing the shirt for the time being, until I can figure out if this will actually work.
Ah yes, that would work as well. Good idea.

Or you could just not get any points. Kinda sucky for your team but hey, it's for a good cause :D

Wingman

Inkling
NNID
TheTrueWingman
Ah yes, that would work as well. Good idea.

Or you could just not get any points. Kinda sucky for your team but hey, it's for a good cause :D
That would work too, as long as my team doesn't win.

Add me to the list.

IGN: Poxni
NNID: Vitiel
Sporty Bobble Hat :head_ncp003:
(Main) :ability_tenacity:
(Subs):ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

I'd love to see pure :ability_runspeed:.
0_0

That's pretty good. It would pair well with my :ability_specialsaver::ability_swimspeed:x3 Cream Basics. I might try and get one from you.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
Add me to the list.

IGN: Poxni
NNID: Vitiel
Sporty Bobble Hat :head_ncp003:
(Main) :ability_tenacity:
(Subs):ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

I'd love to see pure :ability_runspeed:.
Dang, mine only has 2 attack subs.

Buuuuut it combos well with a certain chest piece for 4 attack subs lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom