"Shooter," "Charger," or "Roller?"

What type of weapon do you prefer so far?

• Standard

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • Charger

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Melee

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • I will only look at the individual weapons

Votes: 17 19.8%

• Total voters

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Changed the title to reflect official names. Can't change the poll though.

Anyway, I'm even more so going to main Chargers with the confirmation of the Ink brush not coming out immediately.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
It's hard to tell for me so far, as my play style switches a lot. But as for now I'm thinking maybe Charger, as I like the long range. I've always enjoyed using sniper rifles on shooters so I feel like Chargers come closest, especially the ones with scopes. But as I said, I have no idea what I'll stick with yet.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
from what it looked like in the direct, it looks like you are forced into the scope when charging the scoped chargers, which seems frustrating. unless the scope means no laser, im using the e-liter 3k.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
The Charger looks super fun, but I think I'll probably be using Shooters more than anything else. I wanna get stuck into the action!

empieflower

Senior Squid
NNID
empieflower
Switch Friend Code
SW-4855-9837-7775
I'll just stick with the Standard weapons, but will defiantly try out the Ink Brush and Roller.

Saiyuna

Inkling
I was always fond of going for support type of roles, So the roller/melee seems promising to me :D.

ecaflip

Inkster Jr.
NNID
None
I love rushing, hoping the smg splatter gun will allow me to run n gun

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So after playing the demo, the charger I'm going to need more practice with. I think it has potential but it does have problems with Rollers.

Fakevox

Senior Squid
So after playing the demo, the charger I'm going to need more practice with. I think it has potential but it does have problems with Rollers.
Yeah, I think the Roller was the only weapon that actually killed me with any consistency during this initial test. I took to swimming away from them, getting some distance to line up a shot. If there's no friendly ink around, though, you're pretty much boned.

Last edited:

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
if you've got some ink at your feet you can also try going squid form and jumping over the roller, I managed to do this once but I'm not sure if it's actually a thing or some lag desync that let me survive, need to try it more next test

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
splattershot jr is SO strong against rollers. paralyzes them and then kills them. like a snake.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
I've heard people say that the Roller is like the Little Mac of Splatoon. It seems unstoppable at first, but isn't too bad once you know its weaknesses and how to deal with it.

Last edited:

pawndidater2

Inkling
Charger definitely had problems. It didn't have quite as much range as you would expect, and the maps were too cluttered for what range it did have to be of much use. I did like how it laid ink in a line, making for convenient swimming, which the standard can't do as easily.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
Obviously it's completely different but in Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 I near enough exclusively used tactical knife when I was trying my hardest, I really loved the melee style, and I expect that will transition to Splatoon too, seeing the Paintbrush weapon I was excited at how it seemed to play.

Buuuut the charged weapons look like great fun too, hiding in ink and then popping up to pick someone off seems like a neat way to play, stealth squid style.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
I've had an absolute blast using the Roller in the demo. Sneaking up on people and dropping down on them is incredible. That said, I probably only slightly prefer the Splattershot weapons just for the versatility of them. I didn't really enjoy the Splat Charger because I felt that I wasn't being of much use to my team, though this is in Turf War. I'm sure I'll love using it in Splat Zones or other modes where you don't need to cover the entire map in ink.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah, I'll probably end up maining splat charger in the Ranked matches, but for turf war I'll stick with shooter and the ink brush when that comes out.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
One thing I have noticed is the charger weapons take some getting used to, you'd think to aim the gun where you want the paint to go, but in reality you want to take into account the physics of paint falling. The one in the demo certainly doesn't work like a typical sniper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom