• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

So many guns need a Nerf IMO.

Splats

Senior Squid
NNID
coolSean
Before I start, please keep in my mind that this is MY OPINION, so if you disagree, please do it respectfully.

OK, first off, the Aerospray MG and RG. These guns are like miniguns. Their fire rate is maxed. However, they have short range. However, this doesn't really matter. It's not like Splatoon is a game where everyone snipes or something. It's mostly close quarters gunfights, and the Aerospray is WAY too good at that. Combine that with the MG's amazing offensive capabilities with seekers and Inkzookas or the RG's superb camping capabilities with ink mines and inkstrikes and you got a weapon that needs to be nerfed.

Next up, the .52 Gal Deco and the .96 Gal. Where do I begin. OK, first off, the .52 is powerful; it can splat in 2 hits, but it has a slow firing rate, or at least that's what the game tells you. It's firing rate is not slow enough to justify its 2 hit splats IMO. It also has long range, something that a gun of that caliber shouldn't have. And the .92 Gal. It's a faster, but supposedly weaker .52 Gal. However, the game is just trolling us. It splats in 2 shots like the .52 Gal, except that it's even worse with its almost doubled firing rate.

Well, that's what I think anyways. Remember that this is MY OPINION, so don't get butthurt if you disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
I know he didn't ask too nicely, and I know this is a tired subject but please try to avoid posting aggressively. I don't want these topics to start automatically getting closed.

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
I'm level 17 and still don't have either AeroSpray. I really wish single player didn't unlock content, as it's extremely biased towards the "higher playtime = better weapons" ideal. Once I hit level 20 and have the abilities I want on my gear then I guess I'll get around to playing single player, but as a game marketed towards it's "4v4 online!!!!" mode I find it extremely disheartening that I am forced to play the singleplayer campaign just to have even footing.

Setu

I kind of wish people weren't so entitled and opinionated, but anyhow, the game hasn't even been fully released, so it is FAR TOO early to hear this kind of stuff. I respect your "OPINION", but I'm sorry to tell you there is nothing to base it on, especially with the fact that you don't know how the 52 gal and 96 gal work since the 96 kills in two hits and is longer range than the 52 gal.

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
I agree to an extent. The .52 and .96 Gals seem to kill a little too early for their range. But all-in-all I think they did a pretty good job making the game balanced.
Not to mention having outfits with Defense Up might save the Inkling to one more hit (maybe two with more D^).

To the topic at hand, you can expliot Aerospray RG/MG's range. They hit swiftly, but only if they're close enough, which is a little further than Splattershot Jr. But both Aerosprays are easily in check by Splattershots, Quelcher, and even the Gals you're complaining about. Some weapons seem overpowered, but they do have their weaknesses. Just hard to abuse if the Inkling knows what they're doing.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
No weapons are overpowered, there are many ways to get around these weapons. No weapon should get nerfed because some people think they're OP when it's not...This is my opinion.

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
It's way, WAY too early in the game's lifespan to be calling weapons and weapon builds OP.

While weapon balance is always a major factor in any shooter, this game is only a little over a week old.

If months or even years down the road, we see one or two weapons dominate the meta, than perhaps I'd agree with you.

But calling any weapons OP right now is like saying Little Mac is OP.

Beariie

Full Squid
If you think back to Mw2, there were op guns early in its lifespan. Ex: Models. Its never to early to know if a gun is to op. And yes the Aerosprays and a few spray guns are infact a bit to strong for being able to kill with little effort to aim.

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
If you think back to Mw2, there were op guns early in its lifespan. Ex: Models. Its never to early to know if a gun is to op. And yes the Aerosprays and a few spray guns are infact a bit to strong for being able to kill with little effort to aim.
I don't think that makes them too strong. The whole point of the aerospray is that it shoots faster but has very limited range. The fact that it can get kills with less attention to aiming is completely balanced by the limited range that makes it unable to hit far off players. Aerosprays are very good in turf war, but in splat zones it's easy to take them out with squelchers, chargeshots, and even the splattershot/splattershot pro. In the end they are like any other weapon, the player using them has to account for their strengths and weaknesses or they're going to be beaten.

Beariie

Full Squid
I don't think that makes them too strong. The whole point of the aerospray is that it shoots faster but has very limited range. The fact that it can get kills with less attention to aiming is completely balanced by the limited range that makes it unable to hit far off players. Aerosprays are very good in turf war, but in splat zones it's easy to take them out with squelchers, chargeshots, and even the splattershot/splattershot pro. In the end they are like any other weapon, the player using them has to account for their strengths and weaknesses or they're going to be beaten.
The thing about it is, its so easy to cover ground with machine guns that range isnt even a issue unless you run into someone already painting a area.

shane3x

Full Squid
For the Aero's, they have good coverage and are great ambush/reactionary weapons but if the other person on the other end is even paying attention they arent going to have a hard time defeating it with whatever they are using in combat.

.52 is a mid range, not a long range weapon. In straight combat will easily lose to weapons in the actual long range category like splatters pro.

.96 gal might have a good range but towards the end of its range the accuracy is quite poor, and if someone isnt paying attention and gets killed at the far end of its range thats their fault. The weapon is also slower, not faster then the .52

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
The thing about it is, its so easy to cover ground with machine guns that range isnt even a issue unless you run into someone already painting a area.
Range is always a potential issue though. The aerosprays are good at painting, but they aren't necessarily good at holding areas, which is key to winning in turf war. I mean sure, you get the players on the losing team using the aerospray that have a higher score than even the top of the winning team sometimes, but they still lost the match in the end. That's because they did a great job of running around and painting everything, but the enemy team was just repainting that same turf shortly afterward.

If I'm holding an area with the jet squelcher and I see someone with an aerospray come into my range, chances are they aren't going to get far. They'll either have to turn back and think of a new approach, or I'll take them out. That's ignoring other factors like teammates of course. That's the weakness of the aerospray, it needs good support or the person using it needs a strategy that involves surprise attacks at close range. By no means is someone who can't aim going to win out all the time with the thing. It might seem like that's happening because of the points those players get in one match, but that simply isn't the case.

Beariie

Full Squid
Range is always a potential issue though. The aerosprays are good at painting, but they aren't necessarily good at holding areas, which is key to winning in turf war. I mean sure, you get the players on the losing team using the aerospray that have a higher score than even the top of the winning team sometimes, but they still lost the match in the end. That's because they did a great job of running around and painting everything, but the enemy team was just repainting that same turf shortly afterward.

If I'm holding an area with the jet squelcher and I see someone with an aerospray come into my range, chances are they aren't going to get far. They'll either have to turn back and think of a new approach, or I'll take them out. That's ignoring other factors like teammates of course. That's the weakness of the aerospray, it needs good support or the person using it needs a strategy that involves surprise attacks at close range. By no means is someone who can't aim going to win out all the time with the thing. It might seem like that's happening because of the points those players get in one match, but that simply isn't the case.
Range is never really a issue, i can see if your using a roller or a inkbrush, then its a issue. But not with a spray gun.The aerosprays are good at more then just painting. They excel at the categories that matter. Also, why should something that nets so much points to win, also be able to kill very well, its a odd combination of pros compared to its "limited range" con.

tokyodown

Full Squid
NNID
Tokyodown
I'm level 17 and still don't have either AeroSpray. I really wish single player didn't unlock content, as it's extremely biased towards the "higher playtime = better weapons" ideal. Once I hit level 20 and have the abilities I want on my gear then I guess I'll get around to playing single player, but as a game marketed towards it's "4v4 online!!!!" mode I find it extremely disheartening that I am forced to play the singleplayer campaign just to have even footing.
I played the single player for thirty minutes to an hour and unlocked the Aerospray. It's worth it for the AS.

I would consider the .52 gal and Aerospray the best weapons, but still far from overpowered. Both can be consistently beaten by good movement and smart planning. This thread seems more like a flame than anything.

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
I would be fine with the aerospray taking a few more hits to kill.

But long post short: are we really going to act like being in a situation where you can't hit me but I can hit you isn't a opportunity that people can take advantage of?

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
It's way, WAY too early in the game's lifespan to be calling weapons and weapon builds OP.
^ This.

It's a tad bit too early to be placing weapons and builds/gear loadouts into a "OP NEEDS NERF" situation.

it also boils down to play skill, while I'd love to see some weapon damage, or special timers be toned down. It's far to early to justify my personal opinion.

Give it a month or so. I'm sure if they see any issue's they'll nerf without us having to nag them about it :P

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Aerosprays are gold for covering turf, but not for killing. Clocking in at 5 shots to kill, even with damage up perks, you really need to get the jump on someone to reliably kill someone with one. If the other person notices you first, and if they can aim, then they will beat out an aerospray. And of course, ranged weapons can easily destroy the aerospray.

.52 Gal, great at short range, due to an absurd kill time, which is great for taking out othet close ranged weapons such as the aerospray, but mid range, it can lose it's potency, due to the fire rate it has. Not only that, but you have a slower movement speed while firing, which can make you easier tl hit at times. Even then, it is still a decent weapon, since it is a 2 shot kill weapon. However, if someone runs a defense up in their set, it can make the weapon become a 3 shot kill weapon, which hurts the weapon a whole lot. If the gal user uses an Attack Up perk in their set, they can negate this, and stay as a 2 shot kill.

.96 gal, even with the damage boost it receives, it is still a 2 shot kill. What matters most for the .96 gal is the range advantage it gets. Given the weapon'a loadout, it is meant to be used more as a support weapon.

Anyways, the moral of the story is to understand each weapon's strengths and weaknesses before you go saying something is OP. Just because something is good, doesn't mean that it is OP, or that it needs a ban.

Last edited:

Splats

Senior Squid
NNID
coolSean
Aerosprays are gold for covering turf, but not for killing. Clocking in at 5 shots to kill, even with damage up perks, you really need to get the jump on someone to reliably kill someone with one. If the other person notices you first, and if they can aim, then they will beat out an aerospray. And of course, ranged weapons can easily destroy the aerospray.

.52 Gal, great at short range, due to an absurd kill time, which is great for taking out othet close ranged weapons such as the aerospray, but mid range, it can lose it's potency, due to the fire rate it has. Not only that, but you have a slower movement speed while firing, which can make you easier tl hit at times. Even then, it is still a decent weapon, since it is a 2 shot kill weapon. However, if someone runs a defense up in their set, it can make the weapon become a 3 shot kill weapon, which hurts the weapon a whole lot. If the gal user uses an Attack Up perk in their set, they can negate this, and stay as a 2 shot kill.

.96 gal, even with the damage boost it receives, it is still a 2 shot kill. What matters most for the .96 gal is the range advantage it gets. Given the weapon'a loadout, it is meant to be used more as a support weapon.

Anyways, the moral of the story is to understand each weapon's strengths and weaknesses before you go saying something is OP. Just because something is good, doesn't mean that it is OP, or that it needs a ban.
You DO know that I pointed their weaknesses out right?

I played the single player for thirty minutes to an hour and unlocked the Aerospray. It's worth it for the AS.

I would consider the .52 gal and Aerospray the best weapons, but still far from overpowered. Both can be consistently beaten by good movement and smart planning. This thread seems more like a flame than anything.
It:s not a flame, it's an opinion, something always considered a flame in forums.

Range is never really a issue, i can see if your using a roller or a inkbrush, then its a issue. But not with a spray gun.The aerosprays are good at more then just painting. They excel at the categories that matter. Also, why should something that nets so much points to win, also be able to kill very well, its a odd combination of pros compared to its "limited range" con.
Exactly.

I kind of wish people weren't so entitled and opinionated, but anyhow, the game hasn't even been fully released, so it is FAR TOO early to hear this kind of stuff. I respect your "OPINION", but I'm sorry to tell you there is nothing to base it on, especially with the fact that you don't know how the 52 gal and 96 gal work since the 96 kills in two hits and is longer range than the 52 gal.
I was coming to correct that, but since you had to point it out
It being your opinion doesn't mean you don't have to provide more to your argument than "imo"
Well you clearly didn't read.

I was coming here to correct that, but since you had to point it out rather rudely, close the thread no one here except a handful can't handle a OPINION. This is why I don't mess with forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom