• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

So spawn camping does exist in Splatoon...

PHIL Master 227

Inkling
NNID
PHILMaster227
In the global test fire, I could spawn trap people pretty easily on wall eye warehouse, but in case you don't know, there actually is an invisible force field around the spawn circle so the enemy can't shoot ink into that specific part but you can. Think of it as an infinite ink wall.

GalaxyBearZz

Inkling
NNID
GalaxyBearZ
I can't wait for people to try and camp on me because i like a challenge of proving that even when you have someone spawn camping you can still win the game.

FEF

Full Squid
NNID
TheFEF
The only way to effectively spawn camp is by getting all 4 players killed at the same time. Believe it or not this happened to my opponent's during the second testfire in Walleye Warehouse. 3 of us kept them pinned in and 1 ran around the map. They did get out after the last 15 seconds or so, but still.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
But splatting people doesn't even help your team.
This is an annoyingly common misconception. While splatting people does not directly help your team, it certainly indirectly helps. Any time that the enemy spends respawning and traveling is time spent being unproductive. So while it may not be immediately obvious, it definitely helps.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Removing a player from the game at and for any given time, is the difference between winning and lossing. The object of the game is to win.

CloneHat

Inkster Jr.
NNID
CloneHat
Here we see a skilled player outplaying a team of less skilled players

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
'Spawn camping', IMO, is just another way to say 'overextending'. It sounds like the perfect strategy, if they can't even leave spawn then they can't win, right? But going all the way up to their spawn and being as aggressive as possible about it is an unnecessarily risky way to accomplish this. It's not that hard for them to slip past you, and once they do it was all for naught.

That video was hard to watch, seeing Green play so stupid. It's like they just kept forgetting the Roller was there, and didn't take advantage of the fact that they have a wide open area to fight her from, letting themselves get ambushed right in the open where that shouldn't be happening.

Now, the idea of just trying to ensure the opposing team can't advance is a central tenet in shooters, but to do it effectively you have to be a little smarter about it. Namely, you have to pick where you want to block them, and usually the correct answer to that is not "right on top of spawn". The correct answer is at a choke point, a tight space that's easy to guard and hard to slip through. Let me use Walleye Warehouse, one of the chokiest maps I've ever seen, to illustrate this:

From Blue's perspective (rotate 180 for Yellow), they should just focus on making sure the opposing team can't advance past these highlighted circles. The two narrow tunnels are easy to lock down because they're so narrow, while the central entrance is easy pickings for a Charger standing on the center crate. By giving the opposing team a little breathing room behind these chokes, you can much more easily pick them off at the chokes. It's a far safer way to lock them down. It's alright to back up and let them have the area behind the chokes, because you're still denying them more than 50% of the map. And that's all you need. If more than 50% of the map is yours, you win!

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
'Spawn camping', IMO, is just another way to say 'overextending'. It sounds like the perfect strategy, if they can't even leave spawn then they can't win, right? But going all the way up to their spawn and being as aggressive as possible about it is an unnecessarily risky way to accomplish this. It's not that hard for them to slip past you, and once they do it was all for naught.
Well, an optimal spawn camp wouldn't be overextending. You don't need your entire team to spawn camp. And you don't go all the way up to their spawn. There's a reason why spawn-camping is strong pretty much solely on Walleye Warehouse - the only spawn route is a long, narrow ramp. Further, the bottom of the ramp has big crates for cover. It's pretty easy to sit down at the bottom of the ramp and keep players from making it all the way down the ramp without dying themselves.

The walls running down the ramp and around the corner, as well as the crates, create a lot of cover from paint coming down the ramp, even from chargers.

And you don't need to be aggressive as possible at all - you want to create a lock in which at least three players are able to stay safe while maintaining map control. Even having one opponent out of the spawn lock doesn't negate the lock's effectiveness, since you can always splat them. And if you don't, you at least know the one place the rest of the team can super-jump to.

So I wouldn't wave spawn-camping away so simply. Sure, it's not completely overpowering in all instances, and we don't have the full game yet worldwide for a long enough time to really know how effective it is in Splatoon (or, in reality, just maps like Walleye Warehouse). However, I do know that spawn-camping issues usually never fix themselves, if anything they tend to get worse. Which isn't very necessary especially in our case, since the issue would be resolved if they just modified Walleye to have a better spawn route or a second one.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
I'd like to bump this thread now that Walleye has been proven as the only current stage that's impossible to spawn camp.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
I dont think that was spawncamping as much as it was just the roller player outplaying the others, you can see she left their spawn several times and looped back for more kills
If the opposing team was half decent and used their subs i think she woudlve been taken out

Siambretta

Inkling
NNID
Merkoth
That was painful to watch... and I thought I sucked at the game. I don't really believe this proves much, that was just one skilled player kicking puppies.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Proven? And what about Saltspray?
LMAO you named the one map it's impossible to spawncamp on.

But yeah, Walleye isn't the only one. I've effectively spawncamped on Skatepark and underpass as well, and also on the mall with varied effectiveness. The thing is, the only time that you can actually manage to spawncamp is when the skill gap is so large between the two teams that you would have easily won anyway

ThatsSo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThatsSo
Pretty much all of those kills were fair though (Excluding the Kraken ones but the specials don't tend to be fair). None of those encounters would have happened any differently if he ran into them somewhere else on the map, he just put himself in a situation where he encountered them consonantly. Spawn camping in a game usually means the enemy isn't getting a chance to fight back. He was such a better player than them, he deserved to dominate them. Plus they had other options, in nearly every situation they could have opted to run away, but instead insisted on challenging him.
Show me a video of a charger picking off people as soon as they leave their spawn, and then I'll say there's a problem. This is just a clear skill gap.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I'd like to bump this thread now that Walleye has been proven as the only current stage that's impossible to spawn camp.
LMAO you named the one map it's impossible to spawncamp on.
Yeah, I was responding to a post claiming Walleye was the only impossible one.

Crucifigo

Pro Squid
NNID
Crucifigo
I got a whole spawncamping team on one match yesterday. They wasted most of the timer not letting anyone an inch out of the base before finally backing off a bit. Not very sporting camping spawn for two minutes.

Colgate

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
I personally find it more hilarious that after all that hard work, the team only won by like 30%

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
If a single opponent can get through the "spawn camping", then it is over, especailly when all the members of the team are at their spawn for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom