• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatdashing correctly: the advanced movement option

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I really don't understand why they both aren't very confusing concepts.
Made OP's message clearer, thank you.
I think this may be a good way to move around till players figure out that its not always about being the fastest in the game
Completely agree, there is a time and place for it. That's why I said it's an option. The best players will use different ways of moving depending on the current situation they are in
I'm curious to see how I can implement this into the single player if I get the chance to start speed running in that mode. I'm excited.
Yo man definitely, can't wait to see you speed run. Also, at the end of testfire if you wanted to practice it go into tutorial mode before the servers close and you can stay in tutorial mode for as long as you want.
s-hopping is actually faster up slopes (and maybe down them as well?)
For going down a slope, s-dash is definitely faster. S-hop down slopes means you have to wait for yourself to fall to the ground which eats at your time

Last edited:

Gsnap

Full Squid
NNID
FJUrban
I don't really understand why people are saying that this doesn't look useful.

Splatoon is about covering the most space within a given amount of time. Therefore, if you are able to reduce the time it takes you to get from one point in space to another, then your opportunity to cover that new point in space is greater than the opponent who spent more time.

Yes, it doesn't have much ink coverage, but it allows you to get to higher value areas before your opponent. Securing high value areas is probably going to be pretty important.

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
Now that I can play the full game, I gotta say that changing your trajectory while splathoping at full speed is going to be quite hard to master. Especially if you want to turnaround more or less quickly. You must turn with the right stick (I play with the gyroscope).

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I think this may be a good way to move around till players figure out that its not always about being the fastest in the game
well, splatoon is about covering the map with ink, and if you're fast enough to get to the place before other players or fast enough to counteract them, don't you think that would help?

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Now that I can play the full game, I gotta say that changing your trajectory while splathoping at full speed is going to be quite hard to master. Especially if you want to turnaround more or less quickly. You must turn with the right stick (I play with the gyroscope).
practicing it in the demo it was difficult, but definitely doable and a worthwhile endeavor. optimizing your movement is going to be a very skillful thing is this game going into the future, i think. using the right stick in conjunction with the gyro is also really important, so you can make both broad, nuanced, and fast camera movement. have you tried holding the stick and turning the gamepad at the same time for s-hopping around corners, or does that not make a difference?

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
I didn't try using both the right stick and the gyro to turnaround, it doesn't sound very practical.
The thing is, it takes a little time to re-center the camera while aiming with the gyro, while the camera moves instantly with the right stick.
I think people playing Splattershot weapons will have to force themselves to play with a very high sensibility so they can turnaround (partially or completely) really quickly while splatdashing.

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
This looks very useful in turf wars, and extremely useful in Splat Zones and the future Tower Control.

Area control is SO important in a game like this, and getting to a spot quickly will let you have a better position to fend off other players. Turf war can be won even if you do not have control of the middle grounds, so I see this being extremely useful in a gamemode where a certain position NEEDS to be held (like Splat Zones and Tower control).

Last edited:

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
This looks very useful in turf wars, and extremely useful in Splat Zones and the future Tower Control.

Area control is SO important in a game like this, and getting to spot quickly will let you have a better position to fend off other players. Turf war can be won even if you do not have control of the middle grounds, so I see this being extremely useful in a gamemode where a certain position NEEDS to be held (like Splat Zones and Tower control).
movement is pretty important in every competitive shooter, but for splatoon i can see it being the absolute foundation for the meta since the game even at a conceptual and mechanical level is about map control (inking territory) and how optimizing movement is so crucial to that. investing time into sdashing and s-hopping and effectively combining the two will probably be what makes or breaks a player for the first few months of the game's life until they're more widely known about and we find some new stuff to practice. i really can't see those two techniques faze out of existence, even if they're not as applicable as we're theorizing, since the execution is so straightforward and the reward for it is immediate.

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
movement is pretty important in every competitive shooter, but for splatoon i can see it being the absolute foundation for the meta since the game even at a conceptual and mechanical level is about map control (inking territory) and how optimizing movement is so crucial to that. investing time into sdashing and s-hopping and effectively combining the two will probably be what makes or breaks a player for the first few months of the game's life until they're more widely known about and we find some new stuff to practice. i really can't see those two techniques faze out of existence, even if they're not as applicable as we're theorizing, since the execution is so straightforward and the reward for it is immediate.
Oh I agree with you 100%, I see these techs being used until the end of times...I just see this tech being MORE crucial to learn in Splat Zones, since in turf war you can help the team just by running around spawn and making sure everything is inked.

WiseSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Lornomeister
I say this is useless because you are not covering ink when you move from point a to point b. If their already ink from point A to point B you can just squid which is faster. If there isn't any Ink from point A to point B... Well why aren't you inking it? (Which is the point of the game mind!)You can move fast and ink they are not mutually exclusive.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I say this is useless because you are not covering ink when you move from point a to point b. If their already ink from point A to point B you can just squid which is faster. If there isn't any Ink from point A to point B... Well why aren't you inking it? (Which is the point of the game mind!)You can move fast and ink they are not mutually exclusive.

i don't think you're quite aware of what this technique is

this is moving fast and inking, and it exists because they are not mutually exclusive

WiseSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Lornomeister
O it's inking just not... right. It requires a certain flow that i'm not seeing in that video.

Gsnap

Full Squid
NNID
FJUrban
The game is played with teams of 4...

2 people inkdash to the high value area and then ink and hold that position while the other 2 ink up the home base, etc. Bam, you've got 2/3 of the map under your control in the same amount of time it takes for the other team to get 1/3. The match is now in your favor and the other team has an uphill battle.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
O it's inking just not... right. It requires a certain flow that i'm not seeing in that video.
it's not about flow

it's about getting to point a to point b as fast as possible to outplay the other team so you can claim more territory than you would otherwise

you can get to a high value area like the crates on saltspray rig faster than you normally could taking turns inking and swimming, and you can get to firefights faster and turn the tide of a battle without really obviously telegraphing yourself and putting yourself at a disadvantage if you superjumped. in some circumstances it might actually be faster than superjumping, if you're close enough to the player.

besides, you don't need to ink everything in order to win, it's more important to make broad strokes and cover up the other players ink that to cover the entire walkway outside your spawn

think about splatdashing and splatterhopping like investing in long term rewards in the match

WiseSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Lornomeister
Okay I think it's time for a bit of boasting, to make my point seem a little more valid. In the last testfire where this game sort of just "clicked" for me My team never lost a match in the entire hour, I was always first of my team and my score was always 1150+ (That's conservative) Now the point i'm trying to make is that it is good that he is inking when he moves to his position, he's just not inking enough. You can raise your score(Which is a contribution to the entire team and it only goes up when you ink turf) ridiculously fast if you just hold the shoot button for 5 or 6 inkshots or so and then move through the entire line then jump at the end of it in squidform and repeat. (Let's call it squidsailing if you have to give it a cool name) It's just as fast as splatterdashing but covers more turf in ink.

WiseSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Lornomeister
Also can anybody please explain to me what's so great about point B?:p The goal is to ink turf. Your score is basically analogous to time in a formule 1 race. In the end the fastest overal time is the winner.

Box

Pro Squid
I don't know why you're assuming that this is faster than just shooting and then swimming through your ink. I get that like people have been trying to find a way to move through unclaimed territory at squid speed. But this isn't that, it's a lot slower. If you shoot out instead of at the ground, then you can make a longer trail for yourself and not have to keep switching as often.

And of course you don't claim any ground or charge your super weapon by moving this way as others have pointed out.

WiseSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Lornomeister
Wow! does this mean that i'm no longer a lone wolf in team "Splatterdashing isn't useful?"

Gsnap

Full Squid
NNID
FJUrban
Also can anybody please explain to me what's so great about point B?:p The goal is to ink turf. Your score is basically analogous to time in a formule 1 race. In the end the fastest overal time is the winner.
Point B has more space to cover, and it is not a part of either teams spawn/"base" and therefore point B is of a higher percentage value, and therefore it is valuable and should be taken and held. If your team can take it and hold it first, then you have the advantage and the other team has to work harder to win. If two people on your team can secure point B while two people secure point A then you have more space covered than the other team. Simple as that.

I don't know why you're assuming that this is faster than just shooting and then swimming through your ink. I get that like people have been trying to find a way to move through unclaimed territory at squid speed. But this isn't that, it's a lot slower. If you shoot out instead of at the ground, then you can make a longer trail for yourself and not have to keep switching as often.

And of course you don't claim any ground or charge your super weapon by moving this way as others have pointed out.
Time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom